EA Offers Notch to put Minecraft on Origin, for free.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

If only Minsc could speak with EA.

"This behaviour must not continue! Feel the burning stare of my Hamster and change your ways!"

OT: Well done Notch, your a hero :3

BloatedGuppy:
Notch can be a real idiot sometimes, but when idiots are attacking tyrants, inevitably our sympathies and support will lie with the idiots.

Any chance of clarifying that statement as I am curious to hear your reasoning especially since you come across as a well spoken troll otherwise.

OT: EA's backhand compliment and subtle implications of failure are what I expect out of them these days, but I do agree that Steam could use some good competition and just because Origin is terrible doesn't mean someone else can't do it well. They seem to be failing to think of Mojanhg as a large company though, I mean reading that I would think they were talking to some tiny indie company not the monolith Mojang has become. Notch himself even admitted they're no longer really "indie" Guess EA missed that tweet.

Glad to see Notch and Mojang saw through the garbage and that they're large enough to be able to say no unlike smaller publishers. Definitely interested to see how things go and if EA keeps pursuing them or they'll cut their losses and give up.

Oh, another reason to like and respect Notch... fine, fine...

Avoiding any type of connection to EA seems a wise move for the foreseeable future.

lRookiel:

"This behaviour must not continue! Feel the burning stare of my Hamster and change your ways!"

"Otherwise there will be buttkicking for goodness!"

dexxyoto:
Any chance of clarifying that statement as I am curious to hear your reasoning especially since you come across as a well spoken troll otherwise.

Clarifying which part? That Notch can be an idiot? He can be a supreme idiot from time to time. He comes off as extraordinarily unprofessional and childish when he gets into pissing matches on Twitter. That's not an assault on the man, everyone can be an idiot from time to time, but it's unusual for the public face of a company to behave as such.

As for EA being a tyrant, I'll let EA's behavior speak for itself.

Naeras:

lRookiel:

"Otherwise there will be buttkicking for goodness!"

YAY, someone who gets it! *Dances*

The funny thing is that Notch has NOTHING to gain with this. There are way more people that know of Minecraft than Origin, hands down.

First Notch supports the idea of Origin for the competitiveness in the industry and then says this. Now people are saying he's a hero? Really? This is a guy that released a single, buggy, unfinished game...

Burn. So much burn. Too much burn.

So basically EA wants millions of minecraft players to install origin.

Bhaalspawn:

lacktheknack:

Bhaalspawn:

*Slowly raises hand*

I like them...

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURN THE WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:P

(Although I'm curious about your rationale on why you like them.)

Just to name a few...

Also, I still cannot figure out what they did to make people despise them that much. They behave in the same way as every single corporation in the world. Frankly, there are times when I get the feeling that gamers don't even have a basic knowledge of business.

If you think the games you refer to have been good, it's been DESPITE of EA, not because of them. All they've provided that they should get positive credit for is money. Everything else is negative. And if you don't know why, I gotta ask, have you been living under a rock? EA is a publisher, not a developer, mostly at least. Mirror's Edge is made by DICE, Star Wars is Bioware. EA just bought them up.

Google it. "Why EA is bad", or something. If you're genuinely curious and that question is not just rhetorical, that is. Or if you're not trolling, because I have a hard time seeing how anyone on the Escapist can be unaware of why EA is hated... :S

Oh, and make sure you look up how they treat their employees and their customers. I've read somethings that are, and some that should be, illegal. From several mutually independent sources.

karoliso:
First Notch supports the idea of Origin for the competitiveness in the industry and then says this. Now people are saying he's a hero? Really? This is a guy that released a single, buggy, unfinished game...

He didn't release it, he let you pre-purchase it if you wanted to :)
And that game went on to become one of the most influential games ever. All while being independent.

EA is a big mammoth of a company that makes money by buying up smaller companies and their talent, using massive capital. They treat many of their employees poorly(sometimes horribly), have a horrible customer service and unreasonable user agreements and exploitative business models.

And recently they have started to compete with Steam. Notch thinks competition is good, but doesn't love EA and points out that Origin has issues.

Yeah, he's a fucking douchebag :S

BloatedGuppy:

dexxyoto:

Clarifying which part? That Notch can be an idiot? He can be a supreme idiot from time to time. He comes off as extraordinarily unprofessional and childish when he gets into pissing matches on Twitter. That's not an assault on the man, everyone can be an idiot from time to time, but it's unusual for the public face of a company to behave as such.

As for EA being a tyrant, I'll let EA's behavior speak for itself.

To be a bit of a devil's advocate here, how else does one reign in a very vocal idiot than by being a bit of a tyrant, really?

I think a lot of people are confusing the issue here -- it's not about the size of the company, but the scope of the company. Mojang is a development house. EA is a publisher. Developers make games. Publishers market and distribute them.

(Are publishers entirely necessary? Nah. But, as you've rightly indicated, sometimes development companies aren't the best at presenting themselves to the public. It's okay to trust someone to manage your image. And yeah, that means they'll be calling a lot of the shots, because their job is to reign you in -- and they've got money riding on it.)

That said, I don't like EA or anything. Just wondering if both sides of this discussion are really even hearing each other.

Thank fuck for Notch refusing this deal. Origin and by extension EA is to gaming what death is to life.

Just a tad condescending considering all the Dolla he's rolling in. EA have proven they can't (or simply won't) get that stuff right, so I fail to see how they can help him.

BeerTent:

SajuukKhar:
[...]

All Ea can do is eat up other companies, burn them out, close them, then repeat.

It is all they have ever known.

I'll say no to that... Because back in the day, when I saw the old Electronic Arts logo, it was synonymous with "good game." And the first Dead Space and Mirror's Edge games brought that same feeling back.

I'd say when they got the new white circle logo, that's when they started sucking shit. How EA got to that point is beyond this Tent, but it happened real fucking fast.

Also, never fucking tell a programmer what they cannot accomplish. Stop me if this surprises you, but EA drops the ball. Again.

Its incredible, really. They went from being twats to being decent around the 2008 mark, apparently trying to get themselves some good will, and now they're flying head first back into twat mode.

To hell with EA, that a boy Notch, you tell'em!

EA trying to ruin yet another game? Can't say I'm surprised.

Good for Notch for essentially telling them to fuck off.

Owyn_Merrilin:
Pretty much this. I don't know about you guys, but I've got accounts with no less than five DD services. One of those (Origin) I only used for the Battlefield 3 beta, and promptly removed from my hard drive after that was over.

I bought the new Alice when it came out on Steam, only to find that you also have to install Origin. I've since left it partially installed and completely untouched.

When will they learn? I. Do. Not. Want. Origin. On. My. PC.

Syzygy23:
EA? Willing? To? Play? BALL?

Don't make us laugh. Hilleman asking Notch to put Minecraft on Origin for "free" is the closest real world equivalent to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAY-78zhmw

C'mon, Notch, won't you shake a poor sinners hand?

Go AWAY EA, nobody likes you.

EA wishes it could pull off a song like that like Keith David! So true though. Nothing EA does is on the level.

illas:
Oh, another reason to dislike and think less of Notch... fine, fine...

Fixed that there.

Didn't know Notch was at the same level of stubborn Origin haters. I've always gotten the impression he was one of those stereotype PC fanboy attitudes and my suspicions are confirmed with each new thing he does.

Here's a better idea: offer Minecraft to some Humble Bundle or other charity event.
Giving EA free loot makes no sense at all.

lacktheknack:

The publish good games and have yet to do a single thing to annoy me.

so does this make Notch the hero Omega gamers deserve?

Fr]anc[is:

so does this make Notch the hero Omega gamers deserve?

Yup, sounds like EA to me.

Bhaalspawn:

lacktheknack:

Bhaalspawn:

*Slowly raises hand*

I like them...

Just to name a few...

Also, I still cannot figure out what they did to make people despise them that much. They behave in the same way as every single corporation in the world. Frankly, there are times when I get the feeling that gamers don't even have a basic knowledge of business.

Heh. Mirror's Edge is my favorite game ever, so I know where you're coming from. Where they're getting on my nerves that they've withheld the Mirror's Edge DLC from me because I don't want to use their online store, and their online store is increasingly necessary for various games I'd like to play. I don't want it because it data-mines without asking.

So I have a relatively pleasant relationship with them (although I wouldn't ask them to babysit for me), but they've burned other people with things like online passes and dissolving other studios we like.

Should the "Always On DRM" become an EA standard as I fear it will, then they'll join the ranks of Ubisoft in my list of "WORST THINGS EVAR".

The thing is, not every other corporation behaves like that. Valve asks before data-mining, CD Projekt goes DRM-free, and several companies don't take significant steps to discourage used game sales. We wish that EA would be like other businesses, but since this is the internet, the most common method of expressing this is by pure unadulterated fury.

Acrisius:

Bhaalspawn:

lacktheknack:

Just to name a few...

If you think the games you refer to have been good, it's been DESPITE of EA, not because of them. All they've provided that they should get positive credit for is money.

Quick question. What is the main resource required to develop a game? Money? There we go.

It's the same as a movie producer going to a studio for funding.

Everything else is negative. And if you don't know why, I gotta ask, have you been living under a rock? EA is a publisher, not a developer, mostly at least. Mirror's Edge is made by DICE, Star Wars is Bioware. EA just bought them up.

Google it. "Why EA is bad", or something. If you're genuinely curious and that question is not just rhetorical, that is. Or if you're not trolling, because I have a hard time seeing how anyone on the Escapist can be unaware of why EA is hated... :S

I should have clarified. I understand why EA is hated. But I disagree. Also, have YOU been living under a rock? I did look up and research everything EA does a long time ago, and it's nowhere near the true evils of the business world. Game Publishers like Electronic Arts are Jedi compared to companies like Bell-Aliant or Hasbro.

I've pointed this out before. All this crap about Day 1 DLC, Online Passes, Required Origin, and the possibility of paying for multiplayer bullets are only around because gamers let them.

If they stopped buying the Day 1 DLC, this stuff wouldn't become more prevelant.

Let me walk you through it.

1. Company tries Day 1 DLC
2. Gamers go into a rage about the Day 1 DLC
3. Gamers delude themself into thinking the DLC is necessary (If you can get from Character Creation to the End Credits without a window popping up asking you to buy something, it isn't.)
4. Gamers buy it anyway and grumble about it on forums.
5. Publisher's DLC scheme worked and was successful. It continues in the future.

I don't buy DLC at all. Never have. Day 1 DLC is meaningless to me.
I don't buy off Origin, but I also don't buy off Steam either. And I can crack DRM on my own within a few hours. Origin requirements are meaningless to me.
I game on the PC. I've been putting in CD Keys for years. Now you just have to be connected to the internet to do it. No biggie.

This isn't a farmer selling you a loaf of bread for $400. Games are a luxury item. If you can't afford it, you don't buy it. Simple as that. Nobody actually needs entertainment products. You're not going to wither away and die if you don't get that shiny new game right away. As such, people like EA, Activision, Ubisoft and Bethesda can charge whatever the hell they want for them and break no laws.

EA has done nothing to me, and done nothing to you, no matter how much you delude yourself into believing otherwise. They are businessmen. Their job is to keep the games industry profitable enough to survive. If it weren't for them (and other companies like them), video games would cease to exist. All that would be left would be your mobile games and facebook games.

I think all the Hardcore gamers just shuddered at that thought.

Why in the world would they even consider asking Minecraft be on Origin when people can already get it standalone?

That's like stealing something from a group of people and then telling them they can get it back if they pay the thief and get it at a crappier quality

Bhaalspawn:

Acrisius:

Bhaalspawn:

Just to name a few...

If you think the games you refer to have been good, it's been DESPITE of EA, not because of them. All they've provided that they should get positive credit for is money.

Quick question. What is the main resource required to develop a game? Money? There we go.

It's the same as a movie producer going to a studio for funding.

Everything else is negative. And if you don't know why, I gotta ask, have you been living under a rock? EA is a publisher, not a developer, mostly at least. Mirror's Edge is made by DICE, Star Wars is Bioware. EA just bought them up.

I should have clarified. I understand why EA is hated. But I disagree. Also, have YOU been living under a rock? I did look up and research everything EA does a long time ago, and it's nowhere near the true evils of the business world. Game Publishers like Electronic Arts are Jedi compared to companies like Bell-Aliant or Hasbro.

I've pointed this out before. All this crap about Day 1 DLC, Online Passes, Required Origin, and the possibility of paying for multiplayer bullets are only around because gamers let them.

If they stopped buying the Day 1 DLC, this stuff wouldn't become more prevelant.

Let me walk you through it.

1. Company tries Day 1 DLC
2. Gamers go into a rage about the Day 1 DLC
3. Gamers delude themself into thinking the DLC is necessary (If you can get from Character Creation to the End Credits without a window popping up asking you to buy something, it isn't.)
4. Gamers buy it anyway and grumble about it on forums.
5. Publisher's DLC scheme worked and was successful. It continues in the future.

I don't buy DLC at all. Never have. Day 1 DLC is meaningless to me.
I don't buy off Origin, but I also don't buy off Steam either. And I can crack DRM on my own within a few hours. Origin requirements are meaningless to me.
I game on the PC. I've been putting in CD Keys for years. Now you just have to be connected to the internet to do it. No biggie.

This isn't a farmer selling you a loaf of bread for $400. Games are a luxury item. If you can't afford it, you don't buy it. Simple as that. Nobody actually needs entertainment products. You're not going to wither away and die if you don't get that shiny new game right away. As such, people like EA, Activision, Ubisoft and Bethesda can charge whatever the hell they want for them and break no laws.

EA has done nothing to me, and done nothing to you, no matter how much you delude yourself into believing otherwise. They are businessmen. Their job is to keep the games industry profitable enough to survive. If it weren't for them (and other companies like them), video games would cease to exist. All that would be left would be your mobile games and facebook games.

I think all the Hardcore gamers just shuddered at that thought.

Wow, you have everything so figured out bro! You must be the smartest guy on the planet, because obviously nobody ever thought of the things you just said. I'm flabbergasted at your supreme logic.

Also, cracking games is illegal and a breach of the terms of agreement, even if you actually own the game.

FYI, this was the nicest way of flipping you off I could manage. We're obviously on completely different sides of the spectrum, and I don't feel like waisting my breath. You've just pointed out obvious arguments that have been repeated innumerable times, and are all based on certain baseline assumptions that I just don't agree with. So there's no reason to even try to discuss it.

Also, who gives a shit what YOU do? Enjoy your non-buying of whatever the hell you want, nobody is gonna care. And that's part of the problem =)
You use the 400 dollar loaf as an example...it just occurs to me that assuming the same things that are true for EA is true for everyone, there's nothing stopping the farmer from selling his loaf for that price if everyone else does it too. But then, it's not nearly the same thing is it? A baker has outrageous prices, you go to another baker. If there are no other bakers, someone will see the opportunity and start a bakery. Or you can just get the ingredients yourself and bake at home, and what you end up with is exactly the same thing.

Now let's say I want to play a good game. I want to play Mass Effect. But I don't like the price or conditions imposed by EA. Can I go to someone else to buy my Mass Effect? No, and people know this of course, which is why we're stuck in the situation you described. And so the guys with money have more influence than the guys with the actual means of production(in this case, Bioware). Which brings us back to what this topic is actually about. Notch is glorified in this because he's the guy with the means of production (who earned and supplied his own capital) and tells the guys with only capital to go fuck themselves and their way of doing business. And that's why we sympathize with him. He's the little guy. David VS Goliath.

Well I got carried away...like I said, I very much doubt there's any point in discussing this with each other. I hate EA. Good night.

Bhaalspawn:

Syzygy23:

*Slowly raises hand*

I like them...

GET OUT.

The first time is always free.

He's made a lot on his own already, and he's already turned down valve and job offers.

Don't do it Notch, It's a trick! They lure you in with the promise of an unlimited development budget, then suck you dry and toss away the husk. They've done it to bigger developers than you. Run, run for your life!

Man, after reading all the comments on this. I remembered that I am one of the ten people here that actually doesn't just hate EA.
OT: I don't really have an opinion on this. I don't see how it effects anything.

Smart man. Never make a deal with a publisher if you can avoid it. It just leads to bad things down the road most of the time. Many developers are proof enough of that.

Pretty much sums it up.

Syzygy23:

Bhaalspawn:

Syzygy23:

*Slowly raises hand*

I like them...

GET OUT.

*Raises finger to retort*

Ok

*Leaves*

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT