ME3 End: Do you agree with the Reapers?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

**Spoiler** discussion topic for the antagonist of ME3.

Not really, what gives the Reapers the right to do what they do?
Especially when its shown Synthetics and Organics can co exist (Geth and Quarians)

I like playing a franchise for 100+ hours trying to fight a foe the entire time only to find out they were the alleged "good guys" all along in the last 5 minutes...

Also, inb4 Xzibit meme.

Well if

A leads to An, An leads to B, B leads to Bn, and Bn leads to 0A

With
A=organics
An=many organics
B=Synthetics
Bn=many synthetics
0A= no organics

Then the most logical response would be to destroy A to prevent B from happening.

Also while they could just destroy B the fact that A remains as it, i.e. at the point that they could make AI, was means the next occurrence of B would be significantly more soon then had they just destroyed A, which would cause a drastic increase in resources needed to fuel what would become an eternal continuous slaughter of B.

It is an exceedingly cold train of though, but a logical one in its reasoning.

Um, no.

Because the "solution" is the most ridiculous idea ever. While it sort of make sense to get rid of advanced lifeforms to protect lower forms of life from being destroyed by the synthetics that the higher forms of life made, just looking at the Geth/Quarian peace situation completely blows the God Child's theory that synthetics will always destroy organics out of the water.

IMGF:
Um, no.

Because the "solution" is the most ridiculous idea ever. While it sort of make sense to get rid of advanced lifeforms to protect lower forms of life from being destroyed by the synthetics that the higher forms of life made, just looking at the Geth/Quarian peace situation completely blows the God Child's theory that synthetics will always destroy organics out of the water.

And you are complexity ignoring the fact tat the ONLY reason peace was able to be made between the two races was because of the impending threat of total annihilation by the Reapers.

Had there been no reapers there would have been no sovereign, no Saren going rouge, no Geth attack on Eden prime, no Shepard doing ANYTHING in ME1, no Legion being built to find Shepard, no Shep finding Legion, no bringing together of the two races.

Had the Reapers not shown up the Geth would have remained as they were, behind the Perseus veil suffering from on again off again attacked by vengeful Quarrian's and other organics hateful of AI which very likely could have led to an AI/Organic war, despite the Geth's want for peace.

Do not try to take actions that only resulted because of the existence of the Reapers as proof of what things would be like without them.

It is terribly flawed logic.

Secondly because pace was made does not guarantee that it would last, the prospect for an AI/Organic war are just as likely after peace was made as they were before peace was made.

Nor does the fact peace was made with the Geth mean future synthetic races relationships would turn out the same

SajuukKhar:

IMGF:
Um, no.

And you are complexity ignoring the fact tat the ONLY reason peace was able to be made between the two races was because of the impending threat of total annihilation by the Reapers.

Had there been no reapers there would have been no sovereign, no Saren going rouge, no Geth attack on Eden prime, no Shepard doing ANYTHING in ME1, no Legion being built to find Shepard, no Shep finding Legion, no bringing together of the two races.

Had the Reapers not shown up the Geth would have remained as they were, begin the Perseus veil and on again off again attacked by vengeful Quarrian's and other organics hateful of AI which very likely could have led to an AI/Organic war, despite the Geth's want for peace.

Do not try to take actions that only resulted because of the existence of the Reapers as proof of what things would be like without them.

But that is all a "what if" statement.

You can't say with any sort of proof that the Quarians and Geth would have never come to peace without the Reaper invasion. There is no reason to believe that. I could easily argue that Shepard would become a Specter anyway with Nihlus giving him/her a positive review from the Eden Prime mission. Once Shepard became a Specter, there would be a complete possibility of having to deal with the geth situation eventually, either because the quarians would be going extinct and would need help or because the geth would try to expand to other colonies and the Council would need to step in.

If Shepard is the same person who was able to orchestrate peace in ME3, then Shepard should be able to do the same thing without the threat of Reaper invasion. It's not flawed logic at all.

IMGF:

But that is all a "what if" statement.

You can't say with any sort of proof that the Quarians and Geth would have never come to peace without the Reaper invasion. There is no reason to believe that. I could easily argue that Shepard would become a Specter anyway with Nihlus giving him/her a positive review from the Eden Prime mission. Once Shepard became a Specter, there would be a complete possibility of having to deal with the geth situation eventually, either because the quarians would be going extinct and would need help or because the geth would try to expand to other colonies and the Council would need to step in.

If Shepard is the same person who was able to orchestrate peace in ME3, then Shepard should be able to do the same thing without the threat of Reaper invasion. It's not flawed logic at all.

I never stated they could never make peace, only that things would continue as they were which was down a path that leads opposite of that.

Also peace is only temporary, even IF Shepard made peace with the Geth in a Reaper-less universe the simple fact of the matter is that it could not last.

Eventually the Geth, or some other Synthetic race, would wage war on organics.

You protect organics fro synthetics by killing organics with your synthetics.

Um... Here's an idea, catalyst, why don't you use your invincible, unstoppable fleet of ega-ships to protect organics from synthetics? Wouldn't that be less effort and less risk for the same result?

Also I' getting really sick of these advertising captchas, especially when they don't even make sense.

Saladfork:
You protect organics fro synthetics by killing organics with your synthetics.

Um... Here's an idea, catalyst, why don't you use your invincible, unstoppable fleet of ega-ships to protect organics from synthetics? Wouldn't that be less effort and less risk for the same result?

Also I' getting really sick of these advertising captchas, especially when they don't even make sense.

While at first glace just killing the synthetics seems like the better option the fact that it leaves the organic races at a level of technological development at which they could create AI means the next occurrence of synthetics being made is exponentially hastened and with that comes a exponential increase of the probability that the new synthetic race could find a way to beat The Reapers.

Not only that it would drastically increase the rate at which The Reapers need to harvest resources from planets, which in turn increases the rates that said planets would be depleted, and it would increase the need for organics to be harvested to make more Reapers to replace the ones lost in the various synthetic wars, which would quite probably peeve off the organic races causing The Reapers to probably have to kill them off anyways.

Statistically it is safest to just kill off all advanced organic life.

SajuukKhar:

I never stated they could never make peace, only that things would continue as they were which was down a path that leads opposite of that.

Also peace is only temporary, even IF Shepard made peace with the Geth in a Reaper-less universe the simple fact of the matter is that it could not last.

Eventually the Geth, or some other Synthetic race, would wage war on organics.

But wiping out organics and synthetics to prevent war is a tad bit overkill. It's like doing chemotherapy because you're tired of shaving your head.

War is always going to happen, whether it be between organics and organics, or synthetics against organics, or even synthetics against synthetics. Stepping in and saying, "Excuse me, we're tired of you killing each other so we're just going to kill all of you" doesn't make sense.

I would think that the better solution would be for the Reapers to have come in, told everyone to shut up and teach organics to see the value of synthetic life that would be taught to other advanced lifeforms as they came to the Citadel, a much better solution than simply killing everything.

Imagine if the Reapers had taught the Protheans on how synthetic life needed to be treated equally as an organic since their race had evolved to the point where their technology had evolved itself to the point where the technology itself could be considered its own lifeform. And then the Protheans would have mentored the Asari and shown them how to treat synthetic, which would have spread to all the other races of the galaxy eventually. This seems to me a better way for the Reapers to exist as a mentor to advanced lifeforms instead of just the harbinger of total annihilation.

If we're going to be doing "what if" scenarios, might as well come up with one that ends war, not just keep repeating it.

The_Blue_Rider:
Especially when its shown Synthetics and Organics can co exist (Geth and Quarians)

I think the whole idea was they prevented something worse from appearing by preventing any lifeform (synthetic or organic) from gaining too much power. It's not about organics vs. synthetics but rather control, order, protection (provided in a very flawed way though).

IMGF:

But wiping out organics and synthetics to prevent war is a tad bit overkill. It's like doing chemotherapy because you're tired of shaving your head.

War is always going to happen, whether it be between organics and organics, or synthetics against organics, or even synthetics against synthetics. Stepping in and saying, "Excuse me, we're tired of you killing each other so we're just going to kill all of you" doesn't make sense.

I would think that the better solution would be for the Reapers to have come in, told everyone to shut up and teach organics to see the value of synthetic life that would be taught to other advanced lifeforms as they came to the Citadel, a much better solution than simply killing everything.

Imagine if the Reapers had taught the Protheans on how synthetic life needed to be treated equally as an organic since their race had evolved to the point where their technology had evolved itself to the point where the technology itself could be considered its own lifeform. The seems to me a better way for the Reapers to exist as a mentor to advanced lifeforms instead of just the harbinger of total annihilation.

The Reapers only kill advanced organic life, compared to the future eventuality of a synthetic/organic war in which the synthetics kill ALL organic life off, the killing off of only some organic life is actually a far less harsh result then the alternative.
Secondly if you think that organics would ever listen to The Reapers you have a highly over optimistic view of organic life. History has shown time and time again that Humanity will intentionally do things that are bad for them because someone told them not to do so.

Even if god himself came down and told someone not to do something because it was bad there would be TONS of people who would do it anyway. It is a simple fact humans will not do what is in their own best interest.
Also If there was to be war between organics and synthetics organics would be the ones to start it, we always are.

It isn't about teaching synthetics how to be nice to organics, in fact its the opposite. There is no way to get organics to be tolerant of thing that are not them without total and complete mind control.

SajuukKhar:

The Reapers only kill advanced organic life, compared to the future eventuality of a Synthetic/organic war in which the synthetics kill ALL organic life off, the killing off of only some organic life is actually a far less harsh result then the alternative.

Yeah, that makes sense as far as the game goes to explain it. But making that judgement call of synthetics never being able to achieve peace with an organic race and that organic races not being able to learn from the mistakes of the past still seems incredibly flawed to me.

I still would have preferred a solution that didn't include wiping out advanced organic lifeforms and their synthetic creations to keep lower lifeforms alive.

It's obvious that the Mass Effect team wrote themselves into a hole and that what they gave us was the only way to really write themselves out of it, but the overall premise still feels flawed.

I don't see why humanity can't be given a chance to listen. Trying to achieve peace seems like a better alternative to just assume and kill everything. Even if humanity doesn't listen, then wipe out humanity and try again with other organic species. Not every organic race acts the same as humanity.

IMGF:

Yeah, that makes sense as far as the game goes to explain it. But making that judgement call of synthetics never being able to achieve peace with an organic race and that organic races not being able to learn from the mistakes of the past still seems incredibly flawed to me.

I still would have preferred a solution that didn't include wiping out advanced organic lifeforms and their synthetic creations to keep lower lifeforms alive.

It's obvious that the Mass Effect team wrote themselves into a hole and that what they gave us was the only way to really write themselves out of it, but the overall premise still feels flawed.

Human history has shown time and time again that we are 100% incapable of preventing repeats of past mistakes from reoccurring at some point in the futue.

We may be able to do it for some time but it is fact we will make the same screw-ups again eventually.

Logically, and the Reapers being machines work on logic not emotion, it is the safest and most sound plan to just kill everything over and over.

SajuukKhar:

it is the safest and most sound plan to just kill everything over and over.

It's the easiest plan. There's no effort in that plan and there's no understanding of the value of life.

Which makes sense for the Reapers, but it's also why I believe that the Reapers were so incredibly wrong in their solution.

Synthesis is the better solution. Hands down.

I really felt that their reason was more of wiping out larger advanced civilizations to let lesser bottom feeders grow, mainly to push evolution which would grow obsolete with technology. I actually like yatzhee's take on it, how the ending wanted to express a theme of entropy.

So do I agree? I dunno, if what I feel their purpose is, pushing evolution and such, then yes I do believe they do have a logical reasoning to do so. I still don't agree with the idea, though, but they aren't suppose to have the same idea as me.

IMGF:

It's the easiest plan. There's no effort in that plan and there's no understanding of the value of life.

Which makes sense for the Reapers, but it's also why I believe that the Reapers were so incredibly wrong in their solution.

The thing is though value doesn't exist.

It is a construct of the human imagination, it exist solely as an opinion in the minds of each individual.

Much like good/evil, right/wrong, justice, equality, morality, ethics, and any other system that places a value of some sort on something they are the wild imaginings of the human mind that we created to cope with a world that was beyond our current understanding, and they simply do not exist.

I highly doubt The Reapers being as old and as developed as they are still suffer from such petty mental limitations.

I think maybe it started as the best solution to a problem, but was warped into a cycle of self preservation masked as control. They need organic material to sustain themselves as a race. It's like Edi said underneath it all the reapers are just selfish.

SajuukKhar:

IMGF:

SajuukKhar:

it is the safest and most sound plan to just kill everything over and over.

The thing is though value doesn't exist.

It is a construct of the human imagination, it exist solely as an opinion in the minds of each individual.

Much like good/evil, right/wrong, justice, equality, morality, ethics, and any other system that places a value of some sort on something they are the wild imaginings of the human mind that we created to cope with a world that was beyond our current understanding.

I highly doubt The Reapers being as old and as developed as they are still suffer from such petty mental limitations.

You can't just use humanity as the race that puts importance on "value" in the Msss Effect universe. Because all the races know the importance of the "value" of life.

Even the geth understand it. The only race who doesn't see this value are the Reapers.

The reapers solution is a logical one. Definitely not a solution that would appeal to organics, but one that represents a machine-like approach to the problem.

I can see and respect the "elegance" of it, even though my organic bias would prefer to try other options.

SajuukKhar:

IMGF:
Um, no.

Had the Reapers not shown up the Geth would have remained as they were, behind the Perseus veil suffering from on again off again attacked by vengeful Quarrian's and other organics hateful of AI which very likely could have led to an AI/Organic war, despite the Geth's want for peace.

Secondly because pace was made does not guarantee that it would last, the prospect for an AI/Organic war are just as likely after peace was made as they were before peace was made.

Nor does the fact peace was made with the Geth mean future synthetic races relationships would turn out the same

This.

The peace between the Quarians and Geth has only been around for the briefest of moments. While the reapers have watched the cycle repeat over and over again countless times, I'd say the benefit of experience is on the reaper's side.

IMGF:
You can't just use humanity as the race that puts importance on "value" in the Msss Effect universe. Because all the races know the importance of the "value" of life.

Even the geth understand it. The only race who doesn't see this value are the Reapers.

All the races in ME come from the limited imaginings of humans, and are subject to the limits of our own minds, thusly we build races in fiction to be like us, and share our same limits, so that we can relate to them.

The other races knowing the "value" of life is part of the reason why we can relate to them, it is because of the limited human imagination that they are the way they are. ALL of the races in ME can be easily attributed to real life social, economic, political, religious etc. etc. groups.

The Reapers are made to be the most alien thing in the game and that's why they wouldn't have this same value.
Beyond that the Geth also suffer from the same "needs to be relateable" limitations that the organic races do. Also it is highly likely that they have not lived long enough away from organics, and have not spent enough time trying to distance themselves from organics, to develop that conclusion.

Had the Geth not cared two diddly squats about organics, making pece with them etc. etc. it is very likely they would have at some point come to that answer.

It's almost the same point from the original "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (and to a different and possibly greater extent the remake). In fact, I disregard everything but Mass Effect 2 and enjoy my own theory that the reapers are the synthetic enforcers that Klaatu warned about at the end of the film.

The idea's interesting, but it's ultimately an extension of Cold War era fear. Fear that we will never progress enough to outrun our own destructive nature, or that our progression will be our own undoing. So, no I don't agree. Net problem solving vs creating with science is in our favor.

SajuukKhar:

IMGF:

All the races in ME come from the limited imaginings of humans, we build races in fiction to be like us so that we can relate to them.

The other races knowing the "value" of life is part of the reason why we can relate to them. ALL of the races in ME can be easily attributed to real life social, economic, political, religious etc. etc. groups.

The Reapers are made to be the most alien thing in the game and that's why they wouldn't have this same value.
Beyond that the Geth also suffer from the same "needs to be relateable" limitations that the organic races do. Also it is highly likely that they have not lived long enough away from organics, and have not spent enough time trying to distance themselves from organics, to develop that conclusion.

Had the Geth not cared two diddly squats about organics, making pece with them etc. etc. it is very likely they would have at some point come to that answer.

But in a Reaperless universe, would the Geth ever have a reason to separate themselves from organics at all? I don't think they would. Ever since their creation, they were never really against the idea of peace with the Quarians because they understood the value of life better the Quarians did.

If the Quarians could be taught that synthetic lifeforms are just as meaningful as organic life, then war doesn't need to happen. It will most likely happen, but I don't see the Geth killing the Quarians, and then moving out to kill everything else in the entire universe.

Maybe over a course of a billion years, the universe would be full of synthetic lifeforms, but I don't really think that all organic life could even possibly be all destroyed through the process of evolution. I can't really judge the behavior of synthetic life over a long period of time other than the Reapers, who kill other races before that question can even be answered.

I suppose I'm just curious to see what would happen without the Reaper's intervention. If synthetic lifeforms are the way of evolution in the universe, then why stop it? The process would take billions of years at best and if it's the natural order of things, then isn't it logical for organics to be wiped out and be replaced by the obviously superior synthetics?

And...to take it a step further down the rabbit hole, let's imagine that the universe is full of synthetic lifeforms and, for the sake of imagination, that synthetics accidentally discover an organic cell through research. They would investigate this organic lifeform and give birth to organics and the cycle continues all over again.

There are so many possibilities, it seems like hindering those possibilities from happening a very selfish thing of the Reapers to do. It feels more like a self-preservation thing than anything.

IMGF:

But in a Reaperless universe, would the Geth ever have a reason to separate themselves from organics at all? I don't think they would. Ever since their creation, they were never really against the idea of peace with the Quarians because they understood the value of life better the Quarians did.

If the Quarians could be taught that synthetic lifeforms are just as meaningful as organic life, then war doesn't need to happen. It will most likely happen, but I don't see the Geth killing the Quarians, and then moving out to kill everything else in the entire universe.

Maybe over a course of a billion years, the universe would be full of synthetic lifeforms, but I don't really think that all organic life could even possibly be all destroyed through the process of evolution. I can't really judge the behavior of synthetic life over a long period of time other than the Reapers, who kill other races before that question can even be answered.

I suppose I'm just curious to see what would happen without the Reaper's intervention. If synthetic lifeforms are the way of evolution in the universe, then why stop it? The process would take billions of years at best and if it's the natural order of things, then isn't it logical for organics to be wiped out and be replaced by the obviously superior synthetics?

And...to take it a step further down the rabbit hole, let's imagine that the universe is full of synthetic lifeforms and, for the sake of imagination, that synthetics accidentally discover an organic cell through research. They would investigate this organic lifeform and give birth to organics and the cycle continues all over again.

There are so many possibilities, it seems like hindering those possibilities from happening a very selfish thing of the Reapers to do. It feels more like a self-preservation thing than anything.

The series of events that led to the original war between Quarrian and Geth were not dependent on The Reapers actions, there is no real reason to think that it wold have turned out differently.
It is physically impossible for organic races to ever to be able to fully tolerate anything beyond themselves, even tolerating yourself completely is something many humans find trouble with. This is a genetic throwback to our days as pre-human animals, were any and all other life was something to be hated and fought due to scarcity of resources.

The only way to achieve a lasting peace between organics and synthetics would require the organic mind to have countless eons worth of mental predispositions forceably removed and edited out. Ultimately, the end result would be something that would think and act completely different then whatever base thing you started it, to even attempt to call the original and he new the same would be impossible.

However if said removal was not done organics would still be intolerant to synthetics to some degree. Intolerance breeds hate, and hate breeds acts of violence, acts of violence by enough individuals would eventually result in open aggression and war.

Unless you plan to rewrite everything that has defined how organic life has acted throughout history and ultimately change organics into something completely different at the very core levels, then your suggestion only leads back to the Reapers conclusion.

Eventual war.

It's war in either case. That's the funny thing.

IMGF:

Except one war leads to the total annihilation of organics by synthetics and one leads to the elimination of some organics while countless other live and future ones have a chance to grow.

When you are left with the choice of war and war one would logically pick the one that allows the most life to live over the longest period of time.

SajuukKhar:

IMGF:

Except one war leads to the total annihilation of organics by synthetics and one leads to the elimination of some organics while countless other live and future ones have a chance to grow.

When you are left with the choice of war and war one would logically pick the one that allows the most life to live over the longest period of time.

Except for the fact that organics beat the Reapers. which is why the solution needed to be changed. Hence, the ending.

Synthetics don't always win these wars...if playing Mass Effect means anything.

IMGF:

Except for the fact that organics beat the Reapers. which is why the solution needed to be changed. Hence, the ending.

Synthetics don't always win these wars...if playing Mass Effect means anything.

Except beating the reapers is literally zero guarantee that they would be able to beat some other synthetic race in the future.

Also the fact that don't always win is beyond the point, the fact that they will eventually wn is the problem.

Fappy:
I like playing a franchise for 100+ hours trying to fight a foe the entire time only to find out they were the alleged "good guys" all along in the last 5 minutes...

Also, inb4 Xzibit meme.

Well, nobody wakes up in the morning and thinks "damn, I'm feeling really evil today", the real "bad guys" think they are doing the right thing, and good and evil come down to perspective more than any absolute. From Hitler's perspective and that of millions and millions of his followers, he was the good guy, and doing the right things, for the right reasons. The same could be said of terrorists who believe they are sacrificing themselves to defest an enemy for the greater good, and pretty much any group you can think of. True sociopaths with other disorders that cause them to become what we would consider "evil for the same of being evil" are incredibly rare and by definition are not going to be able to operate on a large scale.

The point is that it would be surprising if a sentinent race, like the Reapers, did not believe it was doing the right thing, for the right reasons.

That said, one of the big questions that was never answered (mild spoilers ahead) was who created The Reapers and if what they were doing was part of their mandate, or something The Reapers decided on their own, and if that force is itself still actually around. The way I interpeted Starchild is that it started out implying it was that force, but then as the conversation it became more obvious it was actually the Reaper collective. Given that Starchild lies as demonstrated by Shepard's potential survivial during the "kill inorganics" solution everything that it says is by definition suspect, but that is kind of the point of the ending and it being intended to generate discourse.

In the end you shouldn't be remotely concerned about wanting to wipe out The Reapers entirely. If anything, consider it a sort of lesson, not every culture and point of view deserves to survive or be preserved simply because it believes it's doing the right thing. It's sort of like killing off the Xenomorphs in "Aliens" there is no viable reason for letting those bloody things exist, and pretty much anyoe who thinks they should survive for study or otherwise is inevitably proven to be an idiot, and usually dies at their hands by way of making a point. Basically not committing genocide on the Xenomorphs when your given the oppertunity is the height of recurring stupidity. On a lot of levels The Reapers are like the robotic version of them, with the same basic motive even if explained with greater intelligent. No matter how it's reasoned and justified it's pretty much "we exist to kill everyone who isn't us..." adding in "we want to exterminate you for your own good" doesn't really change the bottom line.

Pretty much every bad guy thinks he's the good guy.

You think about it a synthetic race with galactic domination could just drop nuclear weapons on any planet that starts to develop life and keep the galaxy dead forever. This would allow the synthetic race to be absolutetly guranteed to survive and is the most logical extreme of self preservation you can get. Introduce no new variables and nothing can change, so nothing will ever rise up to hurt you. Thats what the reapers are trying to prevent.

Jfswift:

The_Blue_Rider:

I think the whole idea was they prevented something worse from appearing by preventing any lifeform (synthetic or organic) from gaining too much power. It's not about organics vs. synthetics but rather control, order, protection (provided in a very flawed way though).

I know that, but the Reapers never explore any other alternative, organic life shouldnt need the Reapers do control them essentially, as Legion said "All life should self determinate" (Or something along those lines).

By wiping out all advanced organic life every 50000 years, the Reapers are preventing Organics from coming to their own solutions, which could be better than the extreme, wipe out all intelligent life

Fieldy409:
You think about it a synthetic race with galactic domination could just drop nuclear weapons on any planet that starts to develop life and keep the galaxy dead forever. This would allow the synthetic race to be absolutetly guranteed to survive and is the most logical extreme of self preservation you can get. Introduce no new variables and nothing can change, so nothing will ever rise up to hurt you. Thats what the reapers are trying to prevent.

Nuking all the worlds would not prevent new life from forming, nor would it provide a means to prevent synthetics from ever evolving.

The Reapers cannot sustain themselves actively for long periods of time, nor can they watch every world.

The_Blue_Rider:

I know that, but the Reapers never explore any other alternative, organic life shouldnt need the Reapers do control them essentially, as Legion said "All life should self determinate" (Or something along those lines).

By wiping out all advanced organic life every 50000 years, the Reapers are preventing Organics from coming to their own solutions, which could be better than the extreme, wipe out all intelligent life

Out of all the people I would expect a person with a TTGL avatar to get The Reapers motivations.

Just like the Anti-Spirals, The Reapers cannot see any other path but the one that they already found because the world on cold emotionless logic.

To make a very specific point, you have to understand that this entire thing is written from a very narrow perspective. There is no logical reason why organics and synthetics would need to fight each other. There are entire science fiction series that deal with what amounts to a positive relationship between organic and synthetic life, the most enduring probably being Asimov's writings ( the movie "I, Robot" is nothing like what he actually wrote or where it went by the end of the series ). There are problems with it as anyone who has read the books can tell you, but if I was going to create AIs for whatever reason I'd probably start by hard coding Asimov's "Laws Of Robotics" into them, heading off some of the problems from the series that would logically occur with sub-coding, and then just live side by side with them.

I find the assumption that people would just instantly try and kill AIs, or that synthetics would automatically decide to kill all the "inferious" organics to be inherantly flawed. I can see how that problem could occur as it's been spelled out in a lot of fiction, but I do not think The Reapers are correct in that it's inevitable.

I also do not nessicarly think that synthetics are inevitably going to win a battle against organics, especially in a world like Mass Effect where things like "Biotics" exist and are pretty much exclusive to organic lifeforms. That's something that can be argued either way, in general it being an uphill battle usually makes for a more exciting story which is why humans are always portrayed as being on the verge of losing. Interestingly a few universes like say "Space Above And Beyond" were written so that an AI war already took place and the AIs lost and were done with more or less. One of the themes there was that the remaining synthetics were siding with the aliens (Chigs) because of having lost the war with humanity.

In the case of ME3 I think the bottom line is that the ending is ambigious and it doesn't give any real answers, what is said is highly suspect at the very best, and we still do not know who created The Reapers, if they are still out there, and other assorted questions. The ending was specifically designed to inspire debate while ultimatly answering nothing of note in a definititve way. All we really now is that one paticular source has stated a possible motive for The Reapers and it may or may not be true.

Also as a side point, The Geth could have been squashed liked an insect at pretty much any time. They were an epic enemy for the creating race of Quarians who were left floating around in a space fleet they supported by scavenging, but not really for the Council or probably any of member races individually when you get down to it. The Geth were a fringe race and not really viewed as much of a threat until they started to invade with Sovreign and even after that they were largely being ignored because they weren't seen as being worth the time and expense for the major races to get rid of, because they had little of value that was worth fighting for and it would be an expensive proposition. As long as they stayed out in the arse end of the galxy nobody gave a crap. Heck, they arguably only have one planet (Quarian homeworld) by all accounts, to a race that has dozens or hundreds they probably seem lulzworthy.

Overall the whole attitude towards both the Geth and Quarians seems to be scorn. The major races are too busy with their own agenda to really care about helping the Quarians, which has lead to bad blood where the Quarians are treated like craptastic Gypsies, and the Quarians have become isolationists who in turn only care about their own issues. Just as the Council Races ignore human issues, they probably care even less about The Quarians who don't have the resources as humanity, a large fleet, but a scavenged one and they don't control any real colonies or resources for that fleet to present much of a threat. They seem to view pretty much all the other races the same basic way, even the ones like the Volus and Elcor that are allied with them. Heck I think the term "Client Race" has come up a few times, where it's pretty obvious that the minor races are basically paying off the major ones to toss them scraps and protection (The Turians are apparently paid to protect The Volus for example, and I believe there were even comments on how that effected the tax rates). A lot of which incidently contributes to why being "Renegade" isn't nessicarly evil, and is still doing pretty much the right thing for the right reasons. When you get down to it letting The Council die is something they kind of deserve because they are a group of buttheads who treat everyone like crap. The only reason why they have any respect for humanity is due to sheer power, Humanity has the abillity to fight, and produce and maintain large fleets, not to mention an infrastructure and resources.... unlike lesser species. Humanity might have lost in the long run but it proved itself a potential threat (and a definate power) during "The First Contact War" by having some success against the dominant military power. As the Volus ambassador spells out in ME1, it all comes down to your muscle... and The Quarians are in a bad place so even with a huge fleet they don't have anyone and get to be treated as dregs.... which is why "helping the quarians" has never justified a war with The Geth, there was nothing in it for the other races.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked