ME3 End: Do you agree with the Reapers?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Human history is a litany of pointless and illogical bloodshed. We cant stop killing each other for one day, let alone not do it to OTHER RACES. Not expecting us to start a war with synthetics eventually is illogical and the past does not support it.
Beyond that The Counsel was actually quite afraid of a possible Geth attack, the Geth were suspected to have the single largest fleet in the galaxy.

To say they were "fringe" and that no one really card goes against MANY things stated throughout the series.

SajuukKhar:

Fieldy409:
You think about it a synthetic race with galactic domination could just drop nuclear weapons on any planet that starts to develop life and keep the galaxy dead forever. This would allow the synthetic race to be absolutetly guranteed to survive and is the most logical extreme of self preservation you can get. Introduce no new variables and nothing can change, so nothing will ever rise up to hurt you. Thats what the reapers are trying to prevent.

Nuking all the worlds would not prevent new life from forming, nor would it provide a means to prevent synthetics from ever evolving.

The Reapers cannot sustain themselves actively for long periods of time, nor can they watch every world.

The_Blue_Rider:

I know that, but the Reapers never explore any other alternative, organic life shouldnt need the Reapers do control them essentially, as Legion said "All life should self determinate" (Or something along those lines).

By wiping out all advanced organic life every 50000 years, the Reapers are preventing Organics from coming to their own solutions, which could be better than the extreme, wipe out all intelligent life

Out of all the people I would expect a person with a TTGL avatar to get The Reapers motivations.

Just like the Anti-Spirals, The Reapers cannot see any other path but the one that they already found because the world on cold emotionless logic.

Haha, I may just watch Gurren Lagann for the pretty explosions. Still thats the thing, I disagree with the Anti Spiral as much as I disagree with the Reapers. They fully believe in what theyre trying to accomplish but in turn it closes off their minds to any other solutions, that is the Anti Spirals flaw, that is the Reapers flaw.

I fully believe in what Simon says to the Anti Spiral at the end, "The future that we're fighting for, is not the future that you've set out for us"
By leaving the Mass Relays and their technology lying around for Organics to discover, the Reapers prevent Organics from coming to their own solutions about Synthetic life.

SajuukKhar:

Fieldy409:
You think about it a synthetic race with galactic domination could just drop nuclear weapons on any planet that starts to develop life and keep the galaxy dead forever. This would allow the synthetic race to be absolutetly guranteed to survive and is the most logical extreme of self preservation you can get. Introduce no new variables and nothing can change, so nothing will ever rise up to hurt you. Thats what the reapers are trying to prevent.

Nuking all the worlds would not prevent new life from forming, nor would it provide a means to prevent synthetics from ever evolving.

The Reapers cannot sustain themselves actively for long periods of time, nor can they watch every world.

well, I wasn't talking about the reapers I was talking about the theoretical synthetic race the reapers kill orgnics to prevent. Even if nukes didn't work and the theoretical synthetics couldn't watch every world, they could install scanners or make a constant patrol of the galaxy for any developing life. It would take millions of years for any organic life to evolve to the point where it could maybe evolve a sentient species that might develop enough to challenge these theoretical synthetics. Plenty of time to be found and snuffed out.

Fieldy409:
well, I wasn't talking about the reapers I was talking about the theoretical synthetic race the reapers kill orgnics to prevent. Even if nukes didn't work and the theoretical synthetics couldn't watch every world, they could install scanners or make a constant patrol of the galaxy for any developing life. It would take millions of years for any organic life to evolve to the point where it could maybe evolve a sentient species that might develop enough to challenge these theoretical synthetics. Plenty of time to be found and snuffed out.

Considering the nearly limitless possibilities that could end up with some form of life on them they would have the monitor practically every planet in the galaxy, from Earth-type to gas giants.

Not even The Reapers could do that.

SajuukKhar:

Fieldy409:

Considering the nearly limitless possibilities that could end up with some form of life on them they would have the monitor practically every planet in the galaxy, from Earth-type to gas giants.

Not even The Reapers could do that.

Why not? Like I said they only have to find the life before sentients evolve and develop enough to challenge them. They would have a galaxy of resources to use and grow with. The reapers are held back because they want to give sentient races a chance to grow for some reason and they leave them resources.

This race would have all the resources and time to empty the galaxy of useful items, and they only would need one of their kind in each solar system to keep an eye on things. One tiny probe that radios back to the fleet.

We have also seen that some pretty crazy stuff is possible with technology in ME because of the ending. What about making a pulse of space magic that kills organic life?

SajuukKhar:
Human history is a litany of pointless and illogical bloodshed. We cant stop killing each other for one day, let alone not do it to OTHER RACES. Not expecting us to start a war with synthetics eventually is illogical and the past does not support it.
Beyond that The Counsel was actually quite afraid of a possible Geth attack, the Geth were suspected to have the single largest fleet in the galaxy.

To say they were "fringe" and that no one really card goes against MANY things stated throughout the series.

You're working on the assumption that humanity will always be like that though and that every organic race would be like us, you forget that everyday there are millions of people trying to make life better for someone else.
Given enough time im sure an organic race could resolve its problems, and lead the galaxy into a better future than the Reapers ever could

So the reapers want to stop synthetic life from killing all organic life, by destroying all advanced organic life (the ones who can oppose synthetic life). and in doing so the reapers massively upgraded synthetic life (the geth) to stop the likes from them killing everything?

well no i dont agree with the catalyst/ reapers. not only is it bonkers but can be proven wrong, the geth quarian war can be ended in peace. and EDI and Joker can fall in love with eachother! or how about the fact that the geth were only hostile when attacked or under reaper control. and that life (plants and maybe animals, i dunno we didnt really see) still existed on the geth home world

it also begs the question of what makes organic life better than synthetic life?
there is nothing to stop an organic life form from destroying all other life to render it self supreme (cough daleks). so why is it so much worse when a fully sentient robot does it?

also what ever happened to

"Organic life is nothing but a genetic mutation, and accident."

"you cannot even grasp the nature of our existence."

"We have no beginning, we have no end, we are infinite."

No it makes no sense whatsoever. Synthetics can think for themselves, there is no reason for them to rebel. I thought that the whole reason for the geth consensus mission was to understand that the geth never wanted war with the quarians. Even after they were attacked they didn't want to kill the quarians. EDI is another example on why synthetics would not be hostile towards organics. There is also a strict ban in creating AI. So when you reach that point in the game there is nothing in the game or universe to support that synthetics would automatically be hostile towards organics.

But lets assume that synthetics are bloodthirsty vengeful killers like godkid says. Why would the reapers kill organics and not just synthetics. They could wipe out synthetics and warn the galaxy from ever making them again.

I think its kinda a good idea as long as it was the only solution. Which I'm sure it wasn't.

Like create technology that stops synthetics from working or stop later races from realising eezo can be used to create them.

Also I think a full AI would be nicer than most humans, as it would lack the whole "get power and be dicks to eachother to get the best mate" drive that we do.

Oh look, a Mass Effect 3 thread where SajuukKhar's post make up for the third of all posts. Cool.

Hey everyone, remember that Zeel guy everybody keeps talking about? Why isn't it SajuukKhar already?

Hammeroj:
Oh look, a Mass Effect 3 thread where SajuukKhar's post make up for the third of all posts. Cool.

Hey everyone, remember that Zeel guy everybody keeps talking about? Why isn't it SajuukKhar already?

Because SajuukKhar doesnt insult everyone who disagrees with him?

No because it makes no sense. In this cycle we (organics) crated Geth (synthetics), now we all know they are fine but let's say they actually want to kill all organics like the Reapers claim. So now Reapers come, wipe out... no wait, "preserve" Humans, Asari, Turians, Krogan etc. and leave, I don't know, Yagh or Vorcha or whatever. Then the Reapers leave and the Evil Geth kill everyone else. Nice job, Reapers.
If you want the Reapers to be good guys, let them be trying to save the galaxy from Dark Energy or something... oh, wait.

The_Blue_Rider:

Hammeroj:

Because SajuukKhar doesnt insult everyone who disagrees with him?

Oh, okay. Never seen that, but fair enough.

SajuukKhar:

IMGF:
Um, no.

Because the "solution" is the most ridiculous idea ever. While it sort of make sense to get rid of advanced lifeforms to protect lower forms of life from being destroyed by the synthetics that the higher forms of life made, just looking at the Geth/Quarian peace situation completely blows the God Child's theory that synthetics will always destroy organics out of the water.

And you are complexity ignoring the fact tat the ONLY reason peace was able to be made between the two races was because of the impending threat of total annihilation by the Reapers.

Had there been no reapers there would have been no sovereign, no Saren going rouge, no Geth attack on Eden prime, no Shepard doing ANYTHING in ME1, no Legion being built to find Shepard, no Shep finding Legion, no bringing together of the two races.

Had the Reapers not shown up the Geth would have remained as they were, behind the Perseus veil suffering from on again off again attacked by vengeful Quarrian's and other organics hateful of AI which very likely could have led to an AI/Organic war, despite the Geth's want for peace.

Do not try to take actions that only resulted because of the existence of the Reapers as proof of what things would be like without them.

It is terribly flawed logic.

Secondly because pace was made does not guarantee that it would last, the prospect for an AI/Organic war are just as likely after peace was made as they were before peace was made.

Nor does the fact peace was made with the Geth mean future synthetic races relationships would turn out the same

Legion wasn't build to find Shepard.
Legion was the one Geth, who fought back against the Quarians, when they wanted to kill all geth.
Or am i missing something?
And btw: The Geht NEVER wanted to kill all quarians, which makes the theory of the godchild wrong nontheless.

SajuukKhar:
I never stated they could never make peace, only that things would continue as they were which was down a path that leads opposite of that.

Also peace is only temporary, even IF Shepard made peace with the Geth in a Reaper-less universe the simple fact of the matter is that it could not last.

Eventually the Geth, or some other Synthetic race, would wage war on organics.

Wow, that's a whole lot of groundless speculation about something no one will ever have an answer to.

The point that you're missing here is that even if the peace was instigated by the Reapers actions in a long term, unintended consequences sort of manner, and even if the peace didn't last, the simple fact that it happened at all showed it was possible. The mere existence of that possibility is the killing blow to some bad guy logic that was on shaky ground to begin with as far as logic goes. So what if eventually the peace failed and AI's destroyed organic life? Organic life is usually pretty effective at destroying organic life, and frankly, would probably destroy each other eventually if left to their own devices as well. So what? The fact that a race or races may one day seal their own doom and the doom of all life in the galaxy means they shouldn't be allowed the chance to grow and survive on their own? On the time scale of the universe everything is dead eventually anyway, so it makes no sense for machines to really give a shit frankly.

Let's face it, even if the Reapers logic made the slightest bit of sense, it'd still be incredibly stupid.

Hm let me think about that for a-NO!

EDIT:
Whoops, wrong thread.

Anyway since I'm here, NO.
Damn it to hell that ending flies in the face of almost every central theme of Mass Effect. Things like free will, coming together and learning about our differences and that AI is not inherently evil become dissolved in the final moments and it really bothers me that Shepard can't challenge the Catalyst at all for the idiocy of it all.

i got a semi random but topic related thing to say,

Evolution is advanced by stress, neccesity and violence it fuels evolution as much as we wish it didnt look at WW2 the nuke came of that as did the jet engine from the V2 rockets

so maybe they fancy themselves of a kind of slide collector if you will (after all they mince up the race and make a reaper out of them btw anyone find arnie odd from ME2 since all other reapers - harbringer look the same) BUT there is a certain ending involving a synthetic/organic merger, i believe the reapers were wanting that choice taken as each time they wipe out all life the next wave find the crucible plan, as well as older tech and they advance upon it. likewise the organic side also advance look at the turians they evolved stonelike scale plates on their body to reflect sunlight, volus adapted to high gravity so they selectively harvest one race that shows greater progress/potential and possibly seed that possibility in a new young race
something also tells me that if the reapers came across a info seed just like Liaras plan they wouldnt destroy them, they didnt destroy the beacons

i may be prattling on but the more people doing serious dissertations means we have more to think on

also id like to state to anyone that doesnt know it that the original lead writer for ME1+2 quit just after the seconds completion so the writer for ME3 had no notes or anything from previous so he just ran with it Haestrom was meant to have some big plot for the reapers some suspected it was a giant reaper inside the sun others suspected they were harvesting dark energy and more again that haestrom was a gate much like the citadel

if you took the time reaper thanks hope i make sence if not sorry for boring ya :P

SajuukKhar:
snip

I have a couple of questions for you.

1. You've stated that it wouldn't be reasonable/possible for the Reapers to keep a lid on aggressive synthetic life due to the ever shorter timespan in which said synthetic life could potentially be created. However, I'm not sure why there was a rule that the Reapers had to sit in dark space for 50,000 years. Why couldn't they just hang around, nagging us about synthetics and putting a quick stop to any really unfortunate ones? I think tens of thousands of years of stewardship by godlike machines who persistently warn us about the devilry of synthetic life might be more compelling than you think. I must also say, this argument that "humans never learn from the mistakes of history" is anthropological gobbledygook and there is zero evidence to support that it is true. It's the kind of highly emotional, logically absurd statement an ORGANIC would make.

2. I don't understand Reaper logic regarding the singularity in which synthetic life wipes out all organic life as an inevitability, because it has never happened. There has been zero incidences of this happening, ever. Why would a purely logical machine that functions on observations/facts start leaping to conclusions? They're the most advanced synthetic in the galaxy, and they seem rather pro organic...in their way. Why couldn't the singularity just lead to another batch of pro-organic synthetics? The Geth and EDI already show promise, regardless of the small sample size regarding their existence. If anything the behavior of the Reapers seems highly alarmist.

3. Why wouldn't Harbinger/Sovereign explain all of this? Why be mysterious and threatening? Why claim their motivations are beyond understanding? The Catalyst Kid goes on to explain their motivations in about 2 minutes of conversation, and Shepard says "Oh alright then" and starts flipping switches. Clearly this was meant to be a profoundly convincing argument, easily delivered and easily understood and accepted.

4. If the option to perform space magic and turn everyone into a synthetic/organic hybrid was there from the outset, why on earth mess around with the cycle/harvesting? Why not just do your space magic? Problem solved, with 100% less murder and effort.

Well no, in the end I don't agree with the Reapers. Which is the main reason I chose to destroy them.

The Catalyst pretty much literally says the Reapers are wrong in the end anyway. That's the reason he lets you (or Shepard) make the final choice.

BloatedGuppy:

SajuukKhar:
snip

I have a couple of questions for you.

1. You've stated that it wouldn't be reasonable/possible for the Reapers to keep a lid on aggressive synthetic life due to the ever shorter timespan in which said synthetic life could potentially be created. However, I'm not sure why there was a rule that the Reapers had to sit in dark space for 50,000 years. Why couldn't they just hang around, nagging us about synthetics and putting a quick stop to any really unfortunate ones? I think tens of thousands of years of stewardship by godlike machines who persistently warn us about the devilry of synthetic life might be more compelling than you think. I must also say, this argument that "humans never learn from the mistakes of history" is anthropological gobbledygook and there is zero evidence to support that it is true. It's the kind of highly emotional, logically absurd statement an ORGANIC would make.

2. I don't understand Reaper logic regarding the singularity in which synthetic life wipes out all organic life as an inevitability, because it has never happened. There has been zero incidences of this happening, ever. Why would a purely logical machine that functions on observations/facts start leaping to conclusions? They're the most advanced synthetic in the galaxy, and they seem rather pro organic...in their way. Why couldn't the singularity just lead to another batch of pro-organic synthetics? The Geth and EDI already show promise, regardless of the small sample size regarding their existence. If anything the behavior of the Reapers seems highly alarmist.

3. Why wouldn't Harbinger/Sovereign explain all of this? Why be mysterious and threatening? Why claim their motivations are beyond understanding? The Catalyst Kid goes on to explain their motivations in about 2 minutes of conversation, and Shepard says "Oh alright then" and starts flipping switches. Clearly this was meant to be a profoundly convincing argument, easily delivered and easily understood and accepted.

4. If the option to perform space magic and turn everyone into a synthetic/organic hybrid was there from the outset, why on earth mess around with the cycle/harvesting? Why not just do your space magic? Problem solved, with 100% less murder and effort.

All of your questions are easily answerable and have been answered multiple times, but because the last one is easiest to explain I'll do that one:

The synthesis option isn't always available. It only comes with enough war assets and the Crucible.

SajuukKhar:
Well if

A leads to An, An leads to B, B leads to Bn, and Bn leads to 0A

With
A=organics
An=many organics
B=Synthetics
Bn=many synthetics
0A= no organics

Then the most logical response would be to destroy A to prevent B from happening.

Also while they could just destroy B the fact that A remains as it, i.e. at the point that they could make AI, was means the next occurrence of B would be significantly more soon then had they just destroyed A, which would cause a drastic increase in resources needed to fuel what would become an eternal continuous slaughter of B.

It is an exceedingly cold train of though, but a logical one in its reasoning.

If it really was an unchangeable fact that AIs would betray their creators, why trust an race of AIs to do the right thing? Why trust the Catalyst at all? Where is the logic in destroying something to protect it? Why should Shepard give a shit about future organics in stead of entire races now, at the word of an AI he never met before and outright tells him it's impossible to trust AIs?

What the game actually presented us as the Reapers' motivation was so lackluster and flat, that I don't even deem it worthy of discussing whether or not I agreed with it. It was fucking stupid, and it never should've been there in the first place.

So everyone keeps bringing up the Geth in their arguments of 'BUT SEE ORGANICS AND SYNTHETICS CAN BE FRIENDS!'

Nobody ever said that the Geth were the problem. Nobody. Not a single person.

Now look back to ME1 and ME2 at AI. What happened EVERY SINGLE time someone developed an AI? It went crazy and tried to kill everyone. EDI did it, it happened with Project Overlord, etc etc. But people just kept building bigger, stronger AI because they're pants-on-head retarded.

It would have gotten to the point where someone made an AI that had the power to kill everything; and it probably would have. That's what the Reapers were trying to prevent.

Edit: Before anyone points out that EDI doesn't want to kill all humans anymore, she's an anomaly. AI were banned in the first place because they couldn't stop killing people.

Nimcha:

BloatedGuppy:

All of your questions are easily answerable and have been answered multiple times, but because the last one is easiest to explain I'll do that one:

The synthesis option isn't always available. It only comes with enough war assets and the Crucible.

I think you're missing the point, which I think is a really good one.
If all you have to do to end the cycle is build the crucible, throw an organic in there, and then have synthetics and organics united in beautiful harmony, why didn't the Reapers do that in the very beginning to save all this fuss of eradicating advanced organics every 50,000 years?

Binks:

Nimcha:

BloatedGuppy:

If all you have to do to end the cycle is build the crucible, throw an organic in there, and then have synthetics and organics united in beautiful harmony, why didn't the Reapers do that in the very beginning to save all this fuss of eradicating advanced organics every 50,000 years?

The Crucible was designed over countless cycles and further developed by countless civilizations. I doubt that the Reapers could have built the Crucible even if they had wanted to.

Binks:

Nimcha:

BloatedGuppy:

Because the Reapers don't want that. It is clearly stated they want to preserve organic life as much as possible. In their eyes, the cycle is the best way to ensure that.

Remember, it's not the Reapers who make the final choice. Shepard does.

Kopikatsu:
The Crucible was designed over countless cycles and further developed by countless civilizations. I doubt that the Reapers could have built the Crucible even if they had wanted to.

Oh, I see, that does kinda make sense.
That does raise the question as to why the Catalyst (the Reaper Master AI) knows how everything works despite not knowing how to build, or ever coming across, the Crucible.

Binks:

Kopikatsu:

Oh, I see, that does kinda make sense.
That does raise the question as to why the Catalyst (the Reaper Master AI) knows how everything works despite not knowing how to build, or ever coming across, the Crucible.

Well, that's why the Crucible has to physically be attached to the Catalyst (ie the Citadel). The Catalyst then gains access to the Crucible's abilities.

Allow me to use metaphor to explain this thing;

Would you burn down a forest because someone made a camping fire?

If you answered no, then you are a sane, rational being. I fyou said yes you are a Reaper, and a moron.

SajuukKhar:

IMGF:

But that is all a "what if" statement.

You can't say with any sort of proof that the Quarians and Geth would have never come to peace without the Reaper invasion. There is no reason to believe that. I could easily argue that Shepard would become a Specter anyway with Nihlus giving him/her a positive review from the Eden Prime mission. Once Shepard became a Specter, there would be a complete possibility of having to deal with the geth situation eventually, either because the quarians would be going extinct and would need help or because the geth would try to expand to other colonies and the Council would need to step in.

If Shepard is the same person who was able to orchestrate peace in ME3, then Shepard should be able to do the same thing without the threat of Reaper invasion. It's not flawed logic at all.

I never stated they could never make peace, only that things would continue as they were which was down a path that leads opposite of that.

Also peace is only temporary, even IF Shepard made peace with the Geth in a Reaper-less universe the simple fact of the matter is that it could not last.

Eventually the Geth, or some other Synthetic race, would wage war on organics.

And how you reach this conclusion with proof and not speculation is beyond me.
The geth didn't want to fight organics, that's why they isolated themselves from them, they only defended themselves when the quarians attacked them. And even if they destroyed the quarians and saw organics as a threat, do you really think they'll go actively searching for cavemen in underdeveloped planets to wipe them out? The Catalyst's logic is utter bullshit and his new solutions are bullshit.

Casual Shinji:
What the game actually presented us as the Reapers' motivation was so lackluster and flat, that I don't even deem it worthy of discussing whether or not I agreed with it. It was fucking stupid, and it never should've been there in the first place.

If the explanation had been as simple as "we are the top of the food chain and we harvest organic civilizations to reproduce" that would have made sense, so why they decided to go in that direction is beyond my ability to comprehend.

ChrisRedfield92:

Casual Shinji:

If the explanation had been as simple as "we are the top of the food chain and we harvest organic civilizations to reproduce" that would have made sense, so why they decided to go in that direction is beyond my ability to comprehend.

They spent the first two games saying that the Reaper's goals are incomprehensible.

Most people can't comprehend the Reaper's goals. Bioware went meta.

ChrisRedfield92:

Casual Shinji:

You remember that part in Mass Effect 1 where you actually talk to Sovereign?

It was a great moment, because you were suddenly confronted with an enemy that was totally beyond you in every possible way. Even just talking to it through a hologram filled you with a sense of awe and fear. Suddenly giving them some sort of retarded moral of maintaining the balance of organic life was a fucking detriment to the Reapers as unstoppable godlike doombringers from beyond the blackness of space.

It's like giving Killer Bob from Twin Peaks motivation. He fucks with people's minds and kills them simply because he has the power to do so, not because of deeper moral issue.

Kopikatsu:

ChrisRedfield92:

Casual Shinji:

They spent the first two games saying that the Reaper's goals are incomprehensible.

Most people can't comprehend the Reaper's goals. Bioware went meta.

No, I comprehend that the reaper's goals don't make a lick of sense.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked