EA manages to win prize for "Worst Company in America 2012", Congratulations EA!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Das Boot:

chimeracreator:

[quote]
Bank of America has foreclosed on homes that didn't even have a mortgage or any outstanding debt to anyone let alone BoA.

No they didnt and you would have to be an idiot to believe that.

I am honestly curious where you got all this information. You have been watching fox news again havnt you?

Actually I'm a bit surprised that you never heard this gem of a story if you have read, watch or listen to the news. The end result was that Bank of America lost a lawsuit, and the local branch refused to pay damages so the home owner managed to launch a foreclosure process against the bank at which time he received a prompt payment of their outstanding debt to him. http://www.digtriad.com/news/watercooler/article/178031/176/Florida-Homeowner-Forecloses-On-Bank-Of-America

Feel free to very this with as many other sources as you want. This was one of the first hits that came up when I did a search for the story.

How on earth did comcast beat time warner?

a ginger491:
How on earth did comcast beat time warner?

Comcast is horrendously evil, even as telecom companies go. If Time Warner is just what they call Brighthouse in certain markets (or rather, vice versa), then it can't be all that bad. For example, Brighthouse explicitly does not have bandwidth caps on their internet service. Comcast does.

So how did EA get to the point where it's in the top 2 worst companies in the world?
Was the ending to Mass Effect 3 THAT bad?

Congratulations to EA!

Keep it up!

EA manages to pull through and win the prize for the Worst Company in America, Congratulations EA! http://consumerist.com/2012/04/congratulations-ea-you-are-the-worst-company-in-america-for-2012.html

Times like this when I wish I had one of those clapping smilies. I guess I'll have to settle for Kane.
http://gifs.gifbin.com/reverse-1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

Good... Good job, EA. *sheds tear

We all had faith you could pull it off.

EA answered: http://kotaku.com/5899092/worst-company-in-america-ea-says-halliburton-must-be-relieved-it-wasnt-nom

In a statement to Kotaku, EA Senior Director of Corporate Communications John Reseburg said:

We're sure that British Petroleum, AIG, Philip Morris, and Halliburton are all relieved they weren't nominated this year. We're going to continue making award-winning games and services played by more than 300 million people worldwide.

Reseburg also said the Human Rights Campaign is currently circulating a position to support the publisher's "decision to have developers include same-sex relationships in recent games including Star Wars: The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3." He also brought up the fact that EA-owned studio BioWare made it to the finals of the 'Best Developer' contest run by gaming site The Escapist.

Rack:

tr00per7:
Is paypal really that bad?

Yes, yes it is. Paypal is pretty much just organised crime at this juncture.

Hey where's Microsoft in all this? They should be top 3 at least.

What makes them so bad exactly? I am just curious. I use Paypal for my Ebay purchases and for Steam but I don't even think anything of it and have never had any problems.

Dexter111:
EA answered: http://kotaku.com/5899092/worst-company-in-america-ea-says-halliburton-must-be-relieved-it-wasnt-nom

In a statement to Kotaku, EA Senior Director of Corporate Communications John Reseburg said:

We're sure that British Petroleum, AIG, Philip Morris, and Halliburton are all relieved they weren't nominated this year. We're going to continue making award-winning games and services played by more than 300 million people worldwide.

Reseburg also said the Human Rights Campaign is currently circulating a position to support the publisher's "decision to have developers include same-sex relationships in recent games including Star Wars: The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3." He also brought up the fact that EA-owned studio BioWare made it to the finals of the 'Best Developer' contest run by gaming site The Escapist.

Leave it to EA to create Strawman Arguments for something that was ultimately nothing more than a small subjective poll. Gotta throw that good PR into the blender somehow.

Holy fuuuuuck people, have a little perspective. You throw money at EA for their (usually really good) products and complain about how they're so corrupt and evil and hate you all when they're just following logical business practices. Meanwhile, banks are repossessing homes and oil companies are extorting the country out of millions of dollars.

Grow up. Get out of your little bubble of stereotypical gamer rage.

LOL at last EA wins something they deserve well done that EA its been a long road but you got there in the end. So I guess now they have achieved their goal they will stop operations and let other evil corporations have a go.

It really shouldnt surprise me that so many people were stupid enough to vote for EA. It really shouldnt I mean this is the internet and the US were are talking about so I am not really sure why I am surprised.

Americans really need to rethink there priorities

Phlakes:
Holy fuuuuuck people, have a little perspective. You throw money at EA for their (usually really good) products and complain about how they're so corrupt and evil and hate you all when they're just following logical business practices. Meanwhile, banks are repossessing homes and oil companies are extorting the country out of millions of dollars.

Grow up. Get out of your little bubble of stereotypical gamer rage.

Im sure all those homeless people would agree that free DLC is more important that cheap oil and fair banking deals.

There suffering is naught compared to what I had to endure when I found out about the day one DLC for Mass Effect, and they know it.

tony2077:
Americans really need to rethink there priority's

Its rather amusing really. Symptomatic of a much greater trend. Americans cannot into priority. (That goes for a large portion of the world in general though.)

Tono Makt:

Elmoth:
I don't see EA winning over a bank. Also, why is walmart on that list? It's a cheap store and largest employer in the world.

Very short form: A scary amount of what is sold in Wal-Mart is sold at prices which make it difficult for manufacturers to make money; a product sold at Wal-Mart for $10 is a bargain to you and I because it's sold at Smaller Store X for $12, but the manufacturer may be required to sell it to Wal-Mart for $4 take it or leave it, while Smaller Store X may be able to pay $5. Manufacturers have a much narrower profit margin when dealing with Wal-Mart, and far less room to improve that relationship.

And to sell it to Wal-Mart, they need to make 1000x of the product, which means the manufacturer needs to be able to make 1000x of the product. In many cases, this is a major risk for the manufacturer as they may actually lose money the first few times they deal with Wal-Mart, with little protection for their investment. Go to a site online that lets you send files for printing to get an example; you might be able to print off a single page for 11 cents. If you print up 100 pages, it's 10 cents a page. If you print up to 500, it's 9 cents a page. If you print up 1000, it's 8 cents a page. Wal-Mart insists you print 1000, and if you don't, they won't buy.

Add to that a distressingly typical business practise of not paying for a product immediately, and it's a huge risk for the business selling to Wal-Mart. (what often happens in the business world is that on Day 1, Supplier provides item to Reseller and sends Reseller an invoice which is due Day 15. Reseller waits until Day 15 to pay the invoice in order to gain 15 days of interest on the amount owed to the Supplier. The bigger the Reseller, the longer the period between Day 1 and Paying the Invoice, and the less ability the Supplier has in getting the money quicker.) In order to ensure there is money for the Supplier (for things like paying employee's, paying electricity bills, water bills, keeping the website online, etc.), the Supplier typically has loans from a bank, or lines of credit, that it lives off of between Day 1 and Day 15, and as much as possible is paid off on Day 15. But loans and lines of credit have interest charges too, so there's money lost there.

Regarding being the largest employer in the world, sure it is. But the wages it pays make it difficult for their employee's to shop anywhere other than Wal-Mart; hundreds of thousands of minimum wage level jobs, most of which are part time and have low job security make make it look good on paper as a job creator, but those jobs are a metaphorical thin gruel to give the bare minimum amount of calories to live.

All of the above plus ^

If you account for all the stores Wal-Mart puts out of business all those stores would have hired more people over all. So sure Wal-Mart hires a lot of people but in the grand scheme of things they actually take away more jobs than they put out.

Traditionally, the Poo has been delivered on its little red pillow. But this year, we'll give EA three different color options for its pillow, though in the end it's still the same old Poo.

I lol'd at this.

Well, it's no surprise EA won this since this is an online poll that can be seen all over the world. Thing is, more people are visibly affected by EA around the world with their legal yet shitty nonetheless business practices, whilst the BoA visibly affects mostly american citizens, maybe the global economy, but I can't really tell since I'm not that informed. Hell, I haven't even heard of BoA until now.

Most people should remember that not everyone in the internet is american.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Its rather amusing really. Symptomatic of a much greater trend. Americans cannot into priority. (That goes for a large portion of the world in general though.)

I find it rather amusing that they're somehow "absolved" from being considered an evil company, even though they make their employees work 85 hour work weeks and destroy families, use false advertising, exploit the addictive nature of games for microtransactions and DLC and use cheap labor in other countries, performing hostile takeovers on Independent companies, using PR people to infiltrate communities and change public opinion as well as paying off reviewers etc. because they make "only games"... and everyone knows that gaming (as the largest entertainment industry on earth after it overtook music in 2007 and movies in 2009) can't be taken seriously...

Also, as other people said I'm not from the US... neither the Bank of America, Comcast, AT&T or WalMart (they actually tried catching foot in Germany but failed within like 2 years) affects me in any way, while EA does immensely by trying to destroy my favourite pastime. I voted accordingly. There's also other banks out there, if you don't like yours it is always an option to switch... not like financial transactions handled by bank A happen to be different from financial transactions handled by bank B.

Rack:

tr00per7:
Is paypal really that bad?

Yes, yes it is. Paypal is pretty much just organised crime at this juncture.

Hey where's Microsoft in all this? They should be top 3 at least.

Hey, if it wasn't for PayPal I wouldn't risk spending money online.

The Consumerist replied to EAs statement: http://consumerist.com/2012/04/ea-responds-to-worst-company-win-by-name-dropping-past-worst-company-winners.html

Usually when we announce the winner of the annual Worst Company In America tournament, the victor chooses to quietly reflect on their triumph rather than make a public comment. But not this year's champ, Electronic Arts, which has responded to being voted the WCIA winner by hinting that it's not as bad as other companies.

In a statement to Kotaku.com, an EA rep says:

We're sure that British Petroleum, AIG, Philip Morris, and Halliburton are all relieved they weren't nominated this year. We're going to continue making award-winning games and services played by more than 300 million people worldwide."

Perhaps three out of four of those companies weren't nominated this year because they've already won. BP took home the Golden Poo last year. AIG won in 2009, and Halliburton was crowned the champ back in our first ever tournament in 2006.

Dexter111:
The Consumerist replied to EAs statement: http://consumerist.com/2012/04/ea-responds-to-worst-company-win-by-name-dropping-past-worst-company-winners.html

Usually when we announce the winner of the annual Worst Company In America tournament, the victor chooses to quietly reflect on their triumph rather than make a public comment. But not this year's champ, Electronic Arts, which has responded to being voted the WCIA winner by hinting that it's not as bad as other companies.

In a statement to Kotaku.com, an EA rep says:

We're sure that British Petroleum, AIG, Philip Morris, and Halliburton are all relieved they weren't nominated this year. We're going to continue making award-winning games and services played by more than 300 million people worldwide."

Perhaps three out of four of those companies weren't nominated this year because they've already won. BP took home the Golden Poo last year. AIG won in 2009, and Halliburton was crowned the champ back in our first ever tournament in 2006.

Reading that quote again it does come off as deflective a pretentious. Silly EA.

tony2077:
Americans really need to rethink there priorities

No question about it there, and that's coming from an American. The problem is that those of us who have our priorities straight are marginalized or ignored, and it's impossible to tell just who has what priorities in mind when you're going to vote.

If America is to attempt to fix its problems rather than continuously sidestepping them, they need to stop working with useless generalities in government and stop throwing our remaining resources at wasteful things.

But few people have any real plans; fewer still have sensible plans back by objective reasoning (there's a lot of "fuzzy logic" in politics). Even when they do have both the former, close to nobody else in Congress wants to listen to those plans unless it specifically benefits them...instead of the people they are elected to represent.

Which includes all of these monstrous companies. Including all of those that made the roster for the poll. Power grabs are dangerous if they undercut the very people who keep them in business.

As for the poll itself...

Thatrocketeer:

Most people should remember that not everyone in the internet is american.

Thank you. I was hoping someone would point that out before the finger pointing and condescending White Knight bullshit escalated any further.

On one hand..
Objectively, Bank of America has done far far FAR more damage than EA...to America.
EA eats talented developers like a shark. Bank of America can be held accountable for the loss of BILLIONS in both raw finances and capital; not to mention ruining many more lives.

On the other hand, the poll is one that's purely subjective, primarily made for entertainment purposes, and the decision is still relative to its audience which includes more than Americans even though it's about American companies.

Railing against people for voting for EA over BofA only shows a lack of perspective.

Traditionally, the Poo has been delivered on its little red pillow. But this year, we'll give EA three different color options for its pillow, though in the end it's still the same old Poo.

Oh man.

I think I lost an eyebrow just reading that burn.

Atmos Duality:
-Snip-

That is a better defense than I could have come up with. People around here are always poised to jump on America at every opportunity. If I had voted I would have voted Bank of America. As a customer of theirs I have firsthand experience with the bullshit they are capable of, but like you said, Bank of America has little to no relevance to foreign countries so why would they vote for it?

cgmetallica1981:
I could easily see EA winning this with the sheer amount of angry gamers on the internet. So let's make that happen. They've pretty much got all of 4chan and reddit to vote for them, so why don't we?

buy teh haloz:
I think I just heard every /v/ and /b/-tard in the vicinity form the biggest circle-jerk out there. I'm pretty damn sure that they will hijack this fucking competition to make EA the winner. To be fair though, the writing's pretty much on the wall: EA is fucked if their recent fiscal results are a reminder.

4chan lacks the manpower to achieve anything like this.

They couldn't hijack a school council election these days, and haven't achieved anything of note in years.
Blaming this on them makes you look as credible as a fox news journalist blaming moral decline on video-games.

Oh yes, while The Escapist and other gaming sites are busy calling their users and a lot of gamers in general "butthurt internet dwellers" Forbes tries to reflect and has some interesting articles and discussions about the entire deal again:

The two from today are especially interesting:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/04/04/ea-is-the-worst-company-in-america-now-what/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/04/04/ea-responds-to-worst-company-award-by-mentioning-past-winners/

And those were from before the results were written:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/04/03/ea-and-bank-of-america-top-the-consumerists-list-of-worst-companies-in-america/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/04/03/ea-battles-bank-of-america-for-worst-company-mantle/

One of the comments from one of the articles:

I worked for EA, its nick name is Eats Artist, or Eats Animators in my case.
I worked for EA Sports in Florida. That place was the most unorganized place I've ever worked. 3 or 4 meeting a day and nothing got done.

The developers wouldn't talk to the programmers. The developers would ask for some kind of trick animation, so I'd work on it, a few weeks later the programmer would tell me they didn't have the tools in the engine to do what the developer wanted. Waste of time and money.

My project manager had never worked on a game before, came from managing fast food joints, so he just knew a few buzz words and wanted unrealistic deadlines. He didn't know what MotionBuilder was. Kept stopping progress to do special things to show his boss what cool things we were doing, that were unrelated to the real work. "you want fries with that boss?"

Oh and EA dose not allow the animators to have dev kits at there desks to check their work. This is a standard everywhere else I've worked.
They make a good product but they waste too much time in unproductive meeting and don't support the crew with the correct tools. When I was there they started changing the UI from C++ to Flash after we were in our 4 month.
They set back the release date on the whole game. There was no direct coordination between the animators and the motion capture studio and that cause several problems in production that filtered down the pipeline.
The chain of communication was closed. Like working for the Navy.

Then there is the crunch time. People were expected to work 11 or more hours a day during crunch, OK that's fine but they just kept moving people from one crunch project to another. I'd get in at 8 or 9am and leave at 11 or 12 midnight for 2 months. Then they laid my team off. There were guys who worked there for 15 years and they just cut them loose. I blame part of that on the burger king manager.

Every 2 or three years EA just wipes the slate clean and then rehires a new batch and retrains them. What a waste of money.

I have stock in EA and I got them at around 50 a share, now they are 16.65, WOW they are up from 12. If it were not for Madden, EA Tiburon would have gone under years ago.

EA is the worst run company I've ever worked. I warn students to avoid working there if they plan to have a family one day, cause they'll never see they're wife and kids.

cookyy2k:
IT just seems everyone are voting for the companies it's trendy to rip on as opposed to those who're actually evil.

Welcome to the wonderfully hypocritical world of modern-day gamers.

Gamers are spiteful and lack perspective. Kinda already knew that but seriously. I know that you say ME3's ending ruins your life but BoA really did ruin people's lives in a direct and absolute literal way.

Get some perspective people, fuck.

Awexsome:
Gamers are spiteful and lack perspective. Kinda already knew that but seriously. I know that you say ME3's ending ruins your life but BoA really did ruin people's lives in a direct and absolute literal way.

So did/does EA, read this: http://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/274.html or the quote I posted above, and they don't do it out of negligence or because of some bad laws but because of pure greed and for the sake of cutting costs...

Dexter111:

Awexsome:

So did/does EA, read this: http://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/274.html or the quote I posted above, and they don't do it out of negligence or because of some bad laws but because of pure greed and for the sake of cutting costs...

You want a laundry list of companies that like to screw over employees for squeezing out some more profit or money for the higher ups?

Type, "corporation" into google. Because every search result will. EA's dickery isn't even close to on the level of BoA's. To suggest otherwise would indicate a severe lack of perspective.

I can't help but feel that this says more about the people voting in online polls than it does about the subjects of said poll.

Awexsome:
You want a laundry list of companies that like to screw over employees for squeezing out some more profit or money for the higher ups?

Type, "corporation" into google. Because every search result will. EA's dickery isn't even close to on the level of BoA's. To suggest otherwise would indicate a severe lack of perspective.

Firstly, this is "The Consumerist", so it will be valuing companies in regards to their dealings with consumers first and foremost. To be honest the "it's only games" defense is getting on my nerves by now too, as that's always extremely easy to say to try and discredit any criticism, it's akin to saying "but there's children starving in Africa!" upon every criticism and highly reactionary.
My "perspective" is fine where it is, neither Bank of America, AT&T, Best Buy or Comcast has affected me negatively (and a large percentage of the world), because they simply don't exist here.
Everyone usually has a choice of which bank or telecommunications company to use as they provide a similar service, I was pissed off at my telcom and simply changed to another for instance.
EA has been annoying me for years as a consumer though as they operate internationally, and I have well-founded reasons for that since they negatively impacted my favorite pastime for over two decades.

Even if EA "only makes games" (which is by now the largest entertainment market bringing in more money than both movies and music - it bears saying this over and over again since apparently companies like Disney/Weinstein/Universal are "okay" to hate but Activision/EA aren't because "it's only games") they are certainly right up there with the worst, if they would operate in other business fields that are under closer scrutiny by both government and courts they'd likely have been regulated and sued to death by now...

First it bears to say that they have bought and literally destroyed e.g. axed the entire staff of some of my favorite game companies over the years: Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood, Criterion, Maxis, Pandemic and right now they're working on Bioware.
Most of that was actually to keep their strong market-dominating position, as soon as some of those companies were big enough that they could have been considered a threat or a potential adversary they rather bought them and destroyed them than letting them grow, some of those takeovers have also been hostile, one of the biggest attempted hostile takeover (that luckily failed) was on Take Two just a few years ago because of the Grand Theft Auto franchise: http://www.1up.com/news/initiates-hostile-takeover-take-two

Their sports games only sell so well because they have acquired the exclusive rights to about any existing league out there, from the NFL, NBA, FIFA, UEFA to the NHL and more, principal thing to have no competition as they know that a quasi-monopolistic position is the best position to be in and games aren't "serious business" anyway despite making more money than movies and music.
These practices are considered and methodical unlike the financial crisis.

I'd also like to remind again of the "EA Spouse" incident, that describes how EA deals with its employees for the large part, there's talk of 7-day work weeks and 85-90 hours of work in those, of deteriorating families and other nasty things: http://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/274.html
They're also known for cutting peoples jobs and re-hiring them in their desperation just as some bonus was due, benefits would kick in or because they want their quarterly figures to look good.

Their EULAs forbid people to sue them, they take the rights to collect personal data of their consumers and use it whatever way they want and having the right to terminate any purchase agreement and taking away products out of any reason, even as stupid as "misbehaving" on their forums.

They are equally big and pioneers in the way of cutting out parts of a product just to keep it behind a pay wall and call it "DLC". They're using psychological weaknesses and addictiveness of their games similar to gambling to make as much money as they can with micro transactions and DLC, John Ricitiello was nice enough to testify towards that during an investor meeting:

EA is also known for continuously outsourcing their work force to places like China (for development and hardware), India (for mobile and customer support), Romania (for Quality Assurance) and similar countries, after all that pesky labour code and laws towards fair treatment and pay is a lot less prevalent there and they can pay them minimum wages.

In other industries, trying to talk customers into believing that they don't actually "own" the products they buy with their money or trying to completely prevent used sales would be considered ludicrous, yet when EA does it, it seems to be fine since it's "only about video games", they are also shifting the lion share of their profits made to marketing based hype and "Pre-Orders" more and more, since actually knowing if a game sucks before buying it might be bad for business after all.

There was also the news that they employ hundreds of viral marketers to change public perception of them, very interesting article over here: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/EA-Viral-Marketing-Exposed-Big-Buyout-Horizon-40885.html and there's always the deal with "Exclusive" content and Advertisement in the press leading to "1000/100 GOTY!" ratings... they are known for influencing or outright paying off reviews and otherwise tampering with the press for their games... also add false advertisement and the increasing sequelization of their games as well as pillaging of old franchises for quick cash grabs and spreading those practices into larger parts of the industry along with Activision.

Saying that EA isn't bad because "they work on games", is doing them a great disservice over their deserved accomplishment.

At the end of the day this is just a fucking Poll on a website and doesn't decide over the liquidation of the companies involved or the CEOs walking the plank, so the people flipping over it have the same lack of "perspective".

Zhukov:
I can't help but feel that this says more about the people voting in online polls than it does about the subjects of said poll.

Apparently you also can't help but parrot what has been said in the opinion piece on the front page either xD

Dexter111:

Zhukov:

Apparently you also can't help but parrot what has been said in the opinion piece on the front page either xD

Which opinion piece are you referring to?

Zhukov:

Dexter111:

Zhukov:

Which opinion piece are you referring to?

This one over here... http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116653-EA-Wins-Title-of-Worst-Company-in-America

With that in mind, it's hard to decide whether the outcome of the poll says more about internet users or EA itself.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked