For Mistborn lovers...

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/1067/Announcing-the-Mistborn-Video-Game

This. So. Much. This.

I really hope it's good, but the level of epic that has gone in to the very idea of it alone is enough to make me weep sweet sweet tears of happiness.

Huh. Go figure. I'm actually reading those books for the first time RIGHT NOW.

I guess it would be an alright setting for some games. It's a tad esoteric.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

I really enjoy Sanderson, and always thought his novels could make good movies. Games? Not sure. But he's working with an Indie company, which I like, and is doing the writing. So that's pretty good.

Whether or not it ends up working out is the X factor here. I'll probably buy it. Near release, if the reviews are good, or in the bargain bin later on, of course... But my money will be spent on it somewhere along there.

/cross fingers

I am looking forward to it. I hope it turns out really good.

Hope it turns out better than WoT game lol.

Could be very cool - running around a city with full mistborn powers would be like Prototype on crack.

BloatedGuppy:
It's a tad esoteric.

Do you mean as a setting itself or just as a setting for a game? I dunno, if Sanderson can pull off his usual stuff it should be pretty accessible to those who haven't read the books.

And awesome!! Enjoy the series!!

distortedreality:

There was a WoT game? I am... actually pretty glad I missed that. The way you put it, it sounds like it turned out like CoT. Ha.

Let me preface this by saying that I like the concept and love the series. Brandon Sanderson is a very clever writer and the fact that this game isn't tied so tightly to the books provides the freedom to add an awesome addition to the Mistborn universe.

That said WHY IS BRANDON SANDERSON WASTING TIME ON THIS WHEN HE SHOULD BE FINISHING THE WHEEL OF TIME SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!

I apologize for that outburst, but I, like many fans of the Wheel of Time series, am impatient for the final book to be finished.

I hope you can get through every level by throwing coins at people or subtly altering their emotions.

Arrogancy:
Let me preface this by saying that I like the concept and love the series. Brandon Sanderson is a very clever writer and the fact that this game isn't tied so tightly to the books provides the freedom to add an awesome addition to the Mistborn universe.

That said WHY IS BRANDON SANDERSON WASTING TIME ON THIS WHEN HE SHOULD BE FINISHING THE WHEEL OF TIME SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!

I apologize for that outburst, but I, like many fans of the Wheel of Time series, am impatient for the final book to be finished.

He's on the 3+ draft, and the release date has been announced. It's nearly done, a year and a half after the last one which isn't all that long really, compared to some intervals between books.

On topic: This could either be great, or mediocre. The setting is great and I think that the magic system could work quite well in a video game, we shall see what happens.

Some may argue the quality of the mans writing, but none can question his work ethic.

Hes been cranking out those Wheel of Time books.

Less than a year from now and I get to read the last one.

I am gonna be the greatest coinshot or tin eye or both if I can be a mistborn. I am gonna make spook proud.

I want this to be good but the game producers don't have many games to base my hopes on.

I also wonder how Sanderson will do writing a video game rather than a book.

I shall watch this game and hope it is good.

So happy it is an RPG, so now I have dishonored and mistborn games to hope for. back to the corner for me then.

"you want to get me a drink"

Well, this makes a significant turn around to an otherwise throw away day.

Holy ****! This might be the best thing I've heard about in a long time. There are 2 things that worry me, though:

1. I'm not certain Sanderson will be able to make the narrative leap from books to interactive media. I'm glad, though, that he wants to let them handle the game design rather than involving himself overall. More proof the man's got his head on straight.

2. The developers. I know he vouches for them, but those of us who pay attention to the industry know promises are easy to make. I can't help but worry the team is biting off more than they can chew. RPGs aren't cheap to make. This sounds like it should be a middle-ware game more than anything, but they're releasing it on all major platforms. I just hope that means a Downloadable title. I can't see it making profit as a full priced item. Unless the devs totally surprise me.

I will note that I'm also glad the game will be action RPG. I feel like Allomancy would lose a lot of it's sparkle if we aren't actually able to Pull and Push our way through the mists.

I love his books. Here's hoping that the game matches them.

Man, this sounds so awesome. Unfortunately, I'm kind of brought down by the "... with some RPG elements" part. I love RPGs, but, exactly what does it mean by "some?"

I dunno, is a year and a half enough time for them to complete a game? I mean, it's scheduled for Fall of next year. That's a really short development time to make a game from scratch with no prior assets.

lumenadducere:
I dunno, is a year and a half enough time for them to complete a game? I mean, it's scheduled for Fall of next year. That's a really short development time to make a game from scratch with no prior assets.

It's cool. There's lots of tricks you can use to cut corners in development. For example, they could just re-use the same dungeon over and over and over again, and just call it different things, and like, close off certain passages with a cart or something. It's all good. No one will notice!

This is really cool. I was not a big fan of the ending to the original trilogy, and I'm slightly concerned about the fact that most of the series was about politicking, but I certainly plan to give this a long look when it comes out.

lumenadducere:

I don't think we should be expecting a 25+ hour game. A 10ish hour game though? Yeah, that's doable in a year and a half.

Heaven's Guardian:
This is really cool. I was not a big fan of the ending to the original trilogy, and I'm slightly concerned about the fact that most of the series was about politicking, but I certainly plan to give this a long look when it comes out.

A lot RPGs are based around politicking- Mass Effect, Fallout: New Vegas, Neverwinter Nights 2, The Elder Scrolls- and it's not like combat is exactly foreign to the series either. If it's done right, it could be done quite well.

As for the ending, personally, I loved it. Sure it leaves questions unanswered, but it also keeps you interested in the series, wondering what happens. Actually, I ended up drawing a few parallels to a similar series that ended recently.

Fuck that.

Where the hell is the last WoT book?!

It's bad when little kiddy rage for a small thing like ME3 has the vocal minority up in arms, yet a masterpiece loved by millions has got to wait for some kid to finish writting an important piece of fantasy.
*sAD fACE RaGe!1!!1!

Fuck the new Mistborn world... Brendon is a fuck head who is biting off more than he should be chewing.

Finish what you started you A HOLE!!@!!!!@!!!

EDIT: For the record, Mistborn was great. You don't need to start it up again. Hammond is at rest finally... the unique learning process is over... don't make us start all over, please!

OT: If you read the books, you will know that this game can't be anywhere close to being on par with them...

Save yourself the misery. Don't commit.

I liked the books right up until the end, which induced a single raised eyebrow, and no further reaction from me of any kind. This sounds like something I'd get really excited and obsessed about for a few weeks, then forget completely until something only tangentially related reminds me years later and I look it up only to find that it was canceled or indefinitely delayed. That reminds me, I wonder if that Black Mesa mod is done...

That could be awesome, I hope it ends up being good tho honestly I doubt it will be.

Loved the books, but someone ruined the end of 3 for me and i stopped halfway through :/

The Wheel of Time final book will be out early next year. Its already finished and they are just doing revisions or whatever. (Linkie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_memory_of_light )

Say what you want about Sanderson, but at least he trumps a few notable authors in getting books done instead of making us wait five or so years.

That said, I'm looking forward to this game.

thosta:

Say what you want about Sanderson, but at least he trumps a few notable authors in getting books done instead of making us wait five or so years.

This- so much this. The man put his first book out in 2005, since then he's put out 8 adult-level books, 4 teen-level books, an RPG, and 3 short works. He also has a novella and a standalone novel coming out this year, and of course WoT 14 and Mistborn: Birthright coming out year (plus other books). That's 14 novels and 4 short-works, an RPG, a video game plus several unfinished works, in 8 years. As much as I like him, the man isn't normal.

lumenadducere:

Rumors have been floating around about this for ages now, it wouldn't surprise me if it's actually been in development for a few months.

distortedreality:

Could be very cool - running around a city with full mistborn powers would be like Prototype on crack.

Considering its an indie company I've never heard of I guess big budget super-cool stuff is out of the picture :\

I'll keep my eyes out for it, but I'm not very optimistic...now if only someone could throw a mountain of money at a movie trilogy project................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked