BioWare Sends 400 Cupcakes to Youth Center

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I apologize for yet another BioWare/Mass Effect post, but I thought it was an interesting update to the whole cupcake situation that's been added to the Mass Effect madness.

True to their word, the "Retake" movement sent the 400 cupcakes to BioWare, as pictured below:

Upon receiving said cupcakes, BioWare thanked the movement for the gift, but declined it. Instead, they gave the pastries to a local youth center, a group that probably has a better chance of putting them to use than a few dozen developers.

As usual, people on the BSN forums are livid to hear that someone other than the developers ate them, but I thought it was a clever response. Get trolled by the fans? Troll them back!

Thoughts?

Fantastic, give the poisoned cupcakes to kids Bioware. You really are showin' your true colours, aren't ya!

That's pretty funny, actually. And seriously, updating us on the state of the BSN is totally unnecessary. Angry is their baseline.

Good on em - both the fans and Bioware.

edit - although the stupidity of the fans bitching about it is....actually, it's a pretty standard response these days.

I hope they checked for poisons.

Soviet Heavy:
I hope they checked for poisons.

Oh, come on, the gaming community isn't that unforgiving...right?

...right?

DustyDrB:
That's pretty funny, actually. And seriously, updating us on the state of the BSN is totally unnecessary. Angry is their baseline.

People on BSN weren't even angry so that's a false statement. They were happy that the cupcakes went to kids instead.

The irony of it is, that Bioware were given the option of 3 cupcakes...and then chose the 4th option. If only we could do that in the ending.

Bioware: "Oh cool, cupcakes..... (looks out the window to see the youth center) Hey kids! How do you feel about Mass Effect 3?"

Youths: "Mass what?"

Bioware: "Here have some free cupcakes!"

Captcha thing: "Mum's the word" What are you calling my mum Escapist!?!

Chris Priestly of Bioware said

The gesture certainly gained our attention both with its creativity and deliciousness. However, while we do appreciate that fans were creative in how they expressed their views, after a lot of discussion, we decided ultimately the reason that they were sent was not done in the context of celebrating the work or accomplishment of the Mass Effect 3 team. This is a subtle, but important aspect in determining how to pass the feedback to the team.

AngleWyrm:

The gesture certainly gained our attention both with its creativity and deliciousness. However, while we do appreciate that fans were creative in how they expressed their views, after a lot of discussion, we decided ultimately the reason that they were sent was not done in the context of celebrating the work or accomplishment of the Mass Effect 3 team. This is a subtle, but important aspect in determining how to pass the feedback to the team.

Well, it's sad they will only take feedback celebrating the work or accomplishment of the Mass Effect 3 team.

Passing them on to the kids is a nice touch though. Makes the above kinda forgivable.

I don't think I'm going to be buying another Bioware/EA game anymore.

What kind of morons don't accept cupcakes? Its a CUPCAKE!!!!!

YOU EAT IT BECAUSE ITS DELICIOUS.

Who cares if trolls gave it to you. Check for poison, and eat the fucking frosted cake.

by local youth centre they are referring to their development team. More time squeezing down muffins while they sit down enjoying free food. What a stupid idea this was, I mean your giving food to a bunch of generally speaking obese programmers.

Take a page out of Bethesda and steal your sweet-rolls back before its too late!

Alas, yet even more people are sent into misery by Bioware because of the ending of Mass Effect 3. Who on earth would enjoy eating the most blandest cupcake. 400 of them.

Great sugar high kids roaming the streets!

Where's fox news when you need them

"Gaming company rots childrens teeth as well as their minds!"

There are so many posotives in this situation that it brings a smile to my face
the fact that someone was making a great point to the developers while being creative and origional really is quite awesome, and i wouldn't say bioware were trolling, they really thought it was funny and did a great thing by making some poor kids happy.

all in all, its great story and one of the more posotive outcomes along with $80,000 childs play donation

mad825:
Alas, yet even more people are sent into misery by Bioware because of the ending of Mass Effect 3. Who on earth would enjoy eating the most blandest cupcake. 400 of them.

Unless you're being sarcastic, to which if you are i apolagise, but that was kind of the point, the person who baked them sent a note saying "it took me 30-40 hours to bake all these, you can choose whichever colour you like, but they all taste the same" which is a fair comparison to the ending of the game!

mad825:

The worlds blandest cupcake is still a bloody cupcake!!!

xchurchx:
There are so many posotives in this situation that it brings a smile to my face

Yeah, it's a much better read than all the namecalling und stuff.

TheCaptain:

AngleWyrm:

Well, it's sad they will only take feedback celebrating the work or accomplishment of the Mass Effect 3 team.

Passing them on to the kids is a nice touch though. Makes the above kinda forgivable.

Well no.

She is more saying that they wont celebrate complaints. In other words. They wont accept a reward for negative feedback.

Assumedly the cupcakes are designed so they look fantastic, taste delicious, but are truly disappointing at the last swallow.

As well as that being an impressivey accurate description my Girlfriend gives me...

Draech:
She is more saying that they wont celebrate complaints. In other words. They wont accept a reward for negative feedback.

Ah, might be I misunderstood then. Anyway, it is a nice way of handling it.

Oh for...

Mass Effect fans raise $80'000 for sick and dying kids and get panned for it.

BioWare give cupcakes to kids and they get panned for it.

What have some people got against kindness to kids, for Christ's sake? I thought the sending of these cupcakes was a fiendishly clever idea but I also think that, in handing them to someone who will benefit more from them, they're just following our example in showing a little human kindness.

Perhaps if more people were willing to share the love, so to speak, then the world in general wouldn't be a brighter place!

Wardy
P.S Where is this anger of which the OP speaks?

Me55enger:
Assumedly the cupcakes are designed so they look fantastic, taste delicious, but are truly disappointing at the last swallow.

As well as that being an impressivey accurate description my Girlfriend gives me...

"tastes delicious"?!?
that's some pretty fucked up foreplay

Totally incorrect, unfortunately. Most people on the BSN were quite content, especially after Chris Priestly posted a couple of times to talk about the feedback they'd kept via the notes.

Official response that LoganKey gave to interviewers:

"Sam, the Cup Cake Campaign creator, responded today by saying: "I'm glad that these Cupcakes were received, and also very happy that they got donated to kids who need them. It doesn't matter who eats them. RetakeME3 sent its delicious message, and did some good at the same time.""

Shame they didn't have a taste, those cupcakes were baked full of delicious irony!
Still I think they made the right call, just not the funny one.

I have no idea what to say about Bioware. I guess they are being uber trolls but since they are giving them to a youth center, no one can call them out for being assholes.

I guess you could say that this story has a happy (and clever) ending.

AngleWyrm:

Don't worry, he probably kept half of them and lied about teh numbers to the kids xD

Actually, ten points to bioware for being classy. They may not understand how to market things effectively, or manage a crisis well but in this circumstance? WIN!

Stay classy (and I mean that) bioware.

Wait wait... WAIT!!
So fans gave Bioware a pick between similar 3 choices... And they choose option 4!?

shado_temple:
I apologize for yet another BioWare/Mass Effect post, but I thought it was an interesting update to the whole cupcake situation that's been added to the Mass Effect madness.

True to their word, the "Retake" movement sent the 400 cupcakes to BioWare, as pictured below:

Upon receiving said cupcakes, BioWare thanked the movement for the gift, but declined it. Instead, they gave the pastries to a local youth center, a group that probably has a better chance of putting them to use than a few dozen developers.

As usual, people on the BSN forums are livid to hear that someone other than the developers ate them, but I thought it was a clever response. Get trolled by the fans? Troll them back!

Thoughts?

This is awesome. The point was made, and those cupcakes will definitely be more enjoyed by the kids than by the developers. This is the single most courteous war I've watched in recent memory. Little like how in the early days of WWI the aviators would wave to each other as they passed in the sky.

Oh shoot...I think that means that Retake's next move is to gas the Bioware offices. :\

Bioware:
Give $1000 dollars to Canadian Bully Victim Charity and Re-gift the 400 Cupcakes to a poor children's shelter.

Praise from gaming media sites, full support in their actions.
No mention of them maybe doing it for the sake of PR and to further their goals.

Fans:
Give $80,000 to sick and dying children's charity.

Get told that they're all nasty entitled babies and the charity is cut off early by the same websites in question.
Get told that they're just hijacking the charity for their own goals.

Seems fair and unbias in my mind. Yup. No double standard here.

On the plus side, Charities and the poor and sick children are doing GREAT out of this.
Which is a nice thought if nothing else.

Glad to see the cupcakes went so a more needing recipient anyway. This all worked out pretty well in the end.

I guess this is what DLC stands for then, Delicious Lovely Cake.

While its a nice move that they gave the cakes away, can we just let this whole mass effect 3 thing die now? Its pathetic

Failing that, whens the next big release out? I could really go for a new game to hear weeks of rage/gush right now, just to break up the tedium

They turned that one around pretty well. Going to be hard to hate a company that passes on cupcakes to needy children

endtherapture:

DustyDrB:

People on BSN weren't even angry so that's a false statement. They were happy that the cupcakes went to kids instead.

The irony of it is, that Bioware were given the option of 3 cupcakes...and then chose the 4th option. If only we could do that in the ending.

ah if only shepard had the oportunity to stand there faced with the choices and to say NO like bioware

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked