Obsidian may co-develop Wasteland 2

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/30/obisidian-to-co-develop-wasteland-2-on-one-condition/#more-102171

Interesting...very, very interesting. This boosts Wasteland 2 from "kickstarter curiosity" to "potential essential RPG".

Yep.

This is starting to look more and more like basically the best thing evar.

FUCKIN GREAT NEWS !!!imageimageimageimageimage Just upped my pledge.

Come on ppl. 17 days to get to $2.1 Million. Right now they're at $1,678,247. Should be very doable !!

UPDATE. An important clarification from Brian Fargo via email -- Obsidian will only help design the game, all the coding will be done in-house at InXile:

I would have prefered some detailed info about the gameplay first, specificly combat, but I suppose I can trust inXile enough with just a modest donation.
The potential here is great. For the game and for gaming in general. If enough of these games succeed, the publishers will lose their stanglehold over developers.

I'm also looking into Banner Saga right now. The devs are promising turn-based tactical play that takes some elements of chess. I may like that. Looking at their page, these guys are approaching Kickstarter from the right angle, with actual work to show.

Ha, that picture fucking rules.

Chris Avellone and Tim Cain (I'd assume) will be huge for this project.

I must say this quote confuses me:

"While I've worked on Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, getting the chance to work on the spiritual successor to the Fallout franchise is a honor."

The spiritual successor to what now? I think not!

Pretty sure he meant "spiritual predecessor." Chris Avellone knows what Wasteland is.

BloatedGuppy:
I must say this quote confuses me:

"While I've worked on Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, getting the chance to work on the spiritual successor to the Fallout franchise is a honor."

The spiritual successor to what now? I think not!

Wasteland 2 will be a spiritual successor to Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics as well as the direct sequel to Wasteland. The game is going to be isometric, turnbased in something much closer to Fallout than the original Wasteland, with a party of up to 4 controllable people instead of the main hero like Fallout.

ravenshrike:
Wasteland 2 will be a spiritual successor to Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics as well as the direct sequel to Wasteland. The game is going to be isometric, turnbased in something much closer to Fallout than the original Wasteland, with a party of up to 4 controllable people instead of the main hero like Fallout.

I don't think you can be the spiritual successor to something you were the spiritual predecessor of. Especially when said series is ongoing. Can we have a spiritual advisor rule on this?

BloatedGuppy:

ravenshrike:

I don't think you can be the spiritual successor to something you were the spiritual predecessor of. Especially when said series is ongoing. Can we can a spiritual advisor to rule on this?

Thing is, while the Fallout series is still going, it's a very different beast now to what it was back then. New Vegas was one hell of a right step in the right direction regarding atmosphere, lore and characters, but everything else from Tactics to Fallout 3 was a massive shift in tone (and some would say quality) from the original two games.

If they make Wasteland 2 the way they promise to, then it will certainly be a lot closer to the original Fallout games than either 3 or NV in terms of gameplay, presentation and 'feel'. Kind of like how Serious Sam feels more like a spiritual successor to the original Duke Nukem games, despite the existence of Forever.

Perhaps they are hinting that fallout is dead and wasteland will now become our post apocalyptic fix?

I'm a bit alarmed by this news. I don't care about fallout 1 or 2 but I adore fallout 3. The little I know about Obsidian is they are comprised of the former members of Black Isle Studios. Wasn't BIS's vision for fallout 3 supposed to be a 3rd person birds-eye wasteland crawler similar to Diablo minus the dugeon? I hate that camera angle. I am very glad fallout 3 was a Bethesda game.

I'd hate to see wasteland use that damn camera angle.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
If they make Wasteland 2 the way they promise to, then it will certainly be a lot closer to the original Fallout games than either 3 or NV in terms of gameplay, presentation and 'feel'. Kind of like how Serious Sam feels more like a spiritual successor to the original Duke Nukem games, despite the existence of Forever.

That's a fair point, but what if the Duke Nukem games had originally been inspired by Serious Sam? I'd call those waters muddied, at best. Shouldn't Wasteland just be the spiritual successor to itself at that point?

TorqueConverter:
Perhaps they are hinting that fallout is dead and wasteland will now become our post apocalyptic fix?

I'm a bit alarmed by this news. I don't care about fallout 1 or 2 but I adore fallout 3. The little I know about Obsidian is they are comprised of the former members of Black Isle Studios. Wasn't BIS's vision for fallout 3 supposed to be a 3rd person birds-eye wasteland crawler similar to Diablo minus the dugeon? I hate that camera angle. I am very glad fallout 3 was a Bethesda game.

Wasteland 2 will not be an FPS if you want an FPS go elsewhere.

OT: This will be awesome. I wish I had more money to give them.

Darknacht:

I wish you had more money to give them, too. Step it up Darknacht. Time to get that 2nd job.

I was very excited when I read about this and I very much hope it comes to pass. The donations still seem to flowing and as of now, "only" 400k to go to make this dream a reality.

Also I just read something about the Obsidian kickstarter project might be up and running soon, which I'll be supporting as well, so it's nice to see Obsidian and specifically Chris Avellone getting to flex his creative muscles(hopefully), without being on a strict deadline.

Darknacht:

TorqueConverter:

FPS is just a camera angle. Hell, fallout 3 gave you a bunch of camera angles tied to the scroll wheel. That was pretty fuckin awesome.

I would hope wasteland is able to do something similar and offer multiple camera angles. If they go with one camera angle, a 3rd person bird's eye at that, then that decision is not going to sit well with a lot of people. This is a kick starter game so there should be no surprises for anyone supporting the game. They should get exactly what they want and if they want a 3rd person birds eye camera angle, then so be it.

TorqueConverter:

Darknacht:

TorqueConverter:

FPS is just a camera angle. Hell, fallout 3 gave you a bunch of camera angles tied to the scroll wheel. That was pretty fuckin awesome.

I would hope wasteland is able to do something similar and offer multiple camera angles. If they go with one camera angle, a 3rd person bird's eye at that, then that decision is not going to sit well with a lot of people. This is a kick starter game so there should be no surprises for anyone supporting the game. They should get exactly what they want and if they want a 3rd person birds eye camera angle, then so be it.

The supporters have been very against anything other than isometric or top down so it will be that, most people do not want a Fallout 3 style game, they would probably lose $1mill if they announced they they were going to change it to a Fallout 3 like camera.

TorqueConverter:

Darknacht:

TorqueConverter:

This is a game for old school RPG fans. With tactical combat an overhead view is best suited. The last thing this games fanbase want's is a first person view, FFS.

Are you gonna ask for romances and twitch gameplay next ? I think AAA games have ppl pretty much covered when it comes to that shit.

TorqueConverter:

Darknacht:

TorqueConverter:

This is what people want. This game is being made for fans of the original Wasteland, and it's mostly fans of the original who are backing. Everything is laid out on the Kickstarter and in the W2 forums.

scnj:

TorqueConverter:

Darknacht:

This is what people want. This game is being made for fans of the original Wasteland, and it's mostly fans of the original who are backing. Everything is laid out on the Kickstarter and in the W2 forums.

Cool, as long as they get what they want. I was hoping for a more modern interpretation of the game but I am quickly discovering that this game will be a nostalgic, made-for-the-fans type game.

I'm beginning to wonder. Do think there will be any conflict between the visions the fans actively supporting the kickstarter have for the game and that of the game developers? Should their be a conflict, who is entitled to what? How much say do the fans get in game development when supporting a kickstarter project?

TorqueConverter:

This game is purposely not being made for Fallout 3 fans. I have nothing against Fallout 3 or its fans (it just isn't to my taste) but the whole point of this is that the push for more accessibility has caused a certain kind of game to die. This is the attempt to bring back that experience for the people who want it.

Turn based, 3rd person, brutally difficult, rich character building, choice and consequence, etc.

(I wouldn't sneeze at 1st person for something like an Eye of the Beholder remake, but top down/isometric fits this project a lot better).

This news is so good RPGCodex is unanimously happy. That good.

TorqueConverter:
I'm beginning to wonder. Do think there will be any conflict between the visions the fans actively supporting the kickstarter have for the game and that of the game developers? Should their be a conflict, who is entitled to what? How much say do the fans get in game development when supporting a kickstarter project?

It's an interesting dynamic, as the fans are basically the publisher. It'll be neat to see how it plays out.

Brian Fargo, Feargus Urquhart, Tim Cain, Chris Avellone, and Josh Sawyer, by your powers combined, I am Black Isle Studios!

TorqueConverter:

Most of the original creators did not like how Fallout 3 was made. This is how the developers want the game, it is not just the fans pushing their demands. The developers want to make a modern version of the old tactical and dialog based CRPGs not some generic twitch fest. In many ways RPGs have been stagnant for the last decade this is a game that the developers hope will get the genre moving again.

KingofMadCows:
Brian Fargo, Feargus Urquhart, Tim Cain, Chris Avellone, and Josh Sawyer, by your powers combined, I am Black Isle Studios!

Haha, this ^ this sooooooooo much.

TorqueConverter:

Cool, as long as they get what they want. I was hoping for a more modern interpretation of the game but I am quickly discovering that this game will be a nostalgic, made-for-the-fans type game.

It's less "nostalgia" and more "the first-person perspective isn't very good for a strategy-oriented game." You don't see first-person chess, or any first-person RTS games.

Oops I turned into a camera angle debate. I really like the isometric camera angle on 4x turn based strategy games like Galactic Civ. If the scope of the game is very large and requires you to manage lots of assets then that camera angle is ideal. I've never understood the desire for that camera angle in games where scope is very small and player is controlling a single character. I feel that camera angle distances the player from the game and feels as if you are watching rather than in the game. It's an immersion breaker for me.

I understand the fans want this camera angle simply for the nostalgia if nothing else. I hope it's a great game, validates the kick starter development model and you guys enjoy it.

Kahunaburger:

TorqueConverter:

It's less "nostalgia" and more "the first-person perspective isn't very good for a strategy-oriented game." You don't see first-person chess, or any first-person RTS games.

EDIT: Now I'm getting it. This is a strategy game. I was under the impression it was going to be a sandbox/RPG/explore-a-bunch-a-shit game for whatever reason. Strategy games definitely require an isomeric view.

Kahunaburger:

Liar!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage:_The_Battle_for_Newerth

Also I'm totally down for some first person chess. With romances.

TorqueConverter:
Oops I turned into a camera angle debate. I really like the isometric camera angle on 4x turn based strategy games like Galactic Civ. If the scope of the game is very large and requires you to manage lots of assets then that camera angle is ideal. I've never understood the desire for that camera angle in games where scope is very small and player is controlling a single character. I feel that camera angle distances the player from the game and feels as if you are watching rather than in the game. It's an immersion breaker for me.

I understand the fans want this camera angle simply for the nostalgia if nothing else. I hope it's a great game, validates the kick starter development model and you guys enjoy it.

You did not look at anything on this game did you?
You are controlling a ranger squad not a single character.
The Wizardry games did this it was very awkward like you are controlling a 6 headed Ettin.

TorqueConverter:
EDIT: Now I'm getting it. This is a strategy game. I was under the impression it was going to be a sandbox/RPG/explore-a-bunch-a-shit game for whatever reason. Strategy games definitely require an isomeric view.

It is both like the old CRPGs were. Your confusion is probably because you have not played anything in the genre before, you should try some out you may like them.

Also, they will be getting Obsidian's dialog tools from Storm of Zehir as well as Chris. And I assume he will be pitching in heavily on various background character stories and NPCs that tag along with the party.

Anthraxus:

Are you gonna ask for romances and twitch gameplay next ? I think AAA games have ppl pretty much covered when it comes to that shit.

Romances? I have no desire for any game to Mass Effect it up with soap opera bull crap. Twitch shooters in an RPG? I'd find it a hell of a lot more attractive than auto attacks but hardly ideal.

Darknacht:

You did not look at anything on this game did you?
You are controlling a ranger squad not a single character.
The Wizardry games did this it was very awkward like you are controlling a 6 headed Ettin.

No, not really. I wasn't aware there were any details released as it is still trying to raise funding. I little I read about Wasteland 2 must have been dated. I looked at the original when I heard of Wasteland 2. It looks like a great game to remake. I wasn't aware it going to be strategy game. Isometric, or top-down view makes sense.

TorqueConverter:

Kahunaburger:

TorqueConverter:

Actually it's a tactical turn-based party(In the sense of no central protagonist) game. Probably up to 4 created characters and any remaining slots up to 6 or 7 filled by NPCs who you don't control in combat.

BloatedGuppy:

Kahunaburger:

Liar!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage:_The_Battle_for_Newerth

Also I'm totally down for some first person chess. With romances.

As long as I get action elements and a bishopmance.

This song came to mind:

ravenshrike:
Also, they will be getting Obsidian's dialog tools from Storm of Zehir as well as Chris. And I assume he will be pitching in heavily on various background character stories and NPCs that tag along with the party.

Eww. Storm of Zehir? I've been trying to forget about Storm of Zehir. PLEASE tell me they're not going to use the motherfucking Aurora engine.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked