What's the next game on your list?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So yeah, top of my list for 2012 purchases/playthroughs was Mass Effect 3 - as I'm sure it was for a lot of people out there - but now it's time to start looking forward to the next "game on the list." So I'm curious Escapists, what IS the next game on your list for 2012? What's going to be your next purchase? Or perhaps you already have it and haven't played through it yet/want to play through it again?

To be honest my summer was pretty much blank, the next game I was going to look into getting was Bioshock or Halo, whichever came out first. But then again I really don't pay much attention to the upcoming releases lists so I don't really know what games are coming out. :P

Thankfully the Escapist posted the launch trailer for Warrior's Orochi 3. It's been years since I last played a Koei "Warriors" game, but when I heard this one would be featuring Ayane from DoA and Ryu Hayabusa from DoA/Ninja Gaiden, I knew I would end up getting it. So I picked it up yesterday and I'm starting to remember why this is the 11th frickin' Koei Warriors game that I've bought despite them all being (essentially) exactly the same: putting on my favorite iTunes playlist, getting some booze, and taking a drink every time I kill an enemy officer, 10 drinks if I happen to die (playing on the hardest difficulty). Needless to say by the end of the 3rd battle I had gone through a 6-pack (a "drink" to me can be pretty big :P) and was moving onto the next one and just having a great time in general.

:P But my personal enjoyment aside, Warriors Orochi 3 has offered me a good distraction and I'm glad I picked it up. But like I said, I'm curious as to find out what the next game on everyone else's list is going to be.

Captcha=Really getting tired of feeling like a consumer whore by being forced to type advertisements. >:(

Probably Witcher 2 EE, in April.
Then Guild Wars 2 beta, if it kicks in quick after I pre-buy.
Then the Civ 5 expansion.

We'll see from there. Depends on release windows.

Maybe Legend of Grimrock, depending on how good it ends up being. Right now I'm juggling enough games to keep me happy for a while haha.

EDIT: TW2EE is in April? Wow, time flies. That too, then.

BloatedGuppy:
Probably Witcher 2 EE, in April.
Then Guild Wars 2 beta, if it kicks in quick after I pre-buy.
Then the Civ 5 expansion.

We'll see from there. Depends on release windows.

I've always been intrigued by The Witcher...just never gotten around to getting it. I know this is a cliche and rather stupid question but, "is it any good"? :P

Easy. Witcher 2 next month. I cant wait.

RJ 17:
I've always been intrigued by The Witcher...just never gotten around to getting it. I know this is a cliche and rather stupid question but, "is it any good"? :P

Don't ask me. I've not played it. I'm currently playing through the original, which is hilariously sexist and riddled with awful voice acting and questionable mechanics, but it's not without its charms. I've heard the 2nd one is much better in terms of polish and delivery.

BloatedGuppy:

RJ 17:

Don't ask me. I've not played it. I'm currently playing through the original, which is hilariously sexist and riddled with awful voice acting and questionable mechanics, but it's not without its charms. I've heard the 2nd one is much better in terms of polish and delivery.

Hmmmmm, methinks I'll have to check it out. I've heard that it's actually pretty damn deep, and I've been looking for a new deep, juicy RPG to sink my teeth into. ME 3 was great and all, but I wouldn't call it particularly "deep".

Devil May Cry HD. Funny how I missed almost every great game of the previous generation huh?

Witcher 2 on 360 I suppose, and my insane backlog can fuck off for a while so I can continue playing UMVC3 all the damn time... Currently learning LoL as well. It's like a massive game of fishing in a sense... Well it's what i can tell from 5ish hours of gameplay XD

Witcher 2 for Xbox. But Amalur has been tempting me soooooooooooooo much.

Probably Dishonored, love the idea of that game, but maybe something before that if something catches my eye

RJ 17:

BloatedGuppy:

RJ 17:

Hmmmmm, methinks I'll have to check it out. I've heard that it's actually pretty damn deep, and I've been looking for a new deep, juicy RPG to sink my teeth into. ME 3 was great and all, but I wouldn't call it particularly "deep".

Witcher 1 definitely is not for everyone - the actual plotting is top-of-the-line, but the voice acting is generally terrible and the writing loses a lot in the translation (and may or may not have been that good to begin with.) Combat is deep for an ARPG, but kind of finicky and not super well-balanced. Sexism-wise, it has a lot of the objectification sort of sexism, but actually IMO is much better than, say, your average Bioware game in terms of the creepy patriarchal sort of sexism.

Witcher 2, OTOH, is arguably the best game of 2011. Combat system is great and again offers a significant amount of strategic depth for an ARPG, particularly after the various clunky aspects got fine-tuned, and here's a link of the New York Times gushing about its writing. And since CDPR is the sort of dev that listens to feedback, the sexism is toned down.

Kahunaburger:
Witcher 2, OTOH, is arguably the best game of 2011. Combat system is great and again offers a significant amount of strategic depth for an ARPG, particularly after the various clunky aspects got fine-tuned, and here's a link of the New York Times gushing about its writing. And since CDPR is the sort of dev that listens to feedback, the sexism is toned down.

Toned down for The Witcher is still more then just about any other game.

That's not really saying much.

It is a good game and everything.

Kahunaburger:
Snip

Thanks for the breakdown, I'll look into it, watch some videos, and most likely end up giving it a chance.

SajuukKhar:

Kahunaburger:
And since CDPR is the sort of dev that listens to feedback, the sexism is toned down.

Toned down for The Witcher is still more then just about any other game.

Hmm... seems like the perfect opportunity to paste a quote from my Website of the Year Every Year.

I disagree with the article re: the relative sexism of TW1 and TW2 (basically I assign slightly greater weight to objectification when I assess how sexist I think something is) but Witcher games in general do reasonably well in the grand scheme of sexism in RPGs.

Kahunaburger:
I disagree with the article re: the relative sexism of TW1 and TW2 (basically I assign slightly greater weight to objectification when I assess how sexist I think something is) but Witcher games in general do reasonably well in the grand scheme of sexism in RPGs.

I don't really have an issue with the sex itself in Witcher 1. It's juvenile, and bawdy, and very much aimed at a...younger...demographic, I would say. But it's not really sinister, or offensive. The collectible nudie cards, though...those are a little...icky. There's something sleazy about them. It's the same sensation I get when I see those "FIND HER" threads on The Chive. It's like digital herpes.

BloatedGuppy:

Kahunaburger:

I don't really have an issue with the sex itself in Witcher 1. It's juvenile, and bawdy, and very much aimed at a...younger...demographic, I would say. But it's not really sinister, or offensive. The collectible nudie cards, though...those are a little...icky. There's something sleazy about them. It's the same sensation I get when I see those "FIND HER" threads on The Chive. It's like digital herpes.

Yeah, I agree - sex partner pokemon cards are pretty stupid. See also: gratuitous nudity in Ghost in the Shell. It's a combination of "dude, why do you think I need to be pandered to?" and "dude, why do you think I'm the kind of guy who is pandered to by pictures of boobs?"

Oh, God. My backlog is staring at me with angry eyes, asking, "Why do you keep replaying the same games over and over when we are still untouched?!?!"

My backlog includes:
-Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
-Infamous
-Assassin's Creed: Revelations
-Metal Gear Solid 3 and Peace Walker HD
-Dark Souls
-Kingdoms of Amalur (didn't get far in it before I put it down to play through the entire Mass Effect series again before the third game came out)
-Bastion
-Trenched
-Okamiden

What I'm currently playing:
-Mass Effect 3 multiplayer
-Fallout: New Vegas (for the fifth time)
-Team Fortress 2 (a game that I've put 700 hours into)

Is anyone else like this? You have a bunch of probably great games that are right there for you, but you keep going back to the ones you've already played to death?

Most importantly Dragon's Dogma. Secondly, Kingdom's of Amalur which I've been meaning to get for a while but I wanted to wait for the price to lower.

Earlier today I pre-ordered The Witcher 2 on 360 so there's that. But I'm not going to start it until I finish the first. There's also the new Ridge Racer game that's just come out that looks pretty awesome. Then there's Dragon's Dogma and the DMC HD Collection too. And that's just in the next few months. Later on in the year there's Darksiders 2, Sleeping Dogs and DmC. No doubt more games will be added to that list later on down the line.

It doesn't help that I have a huge backlog of games that I need to catch up on too... and I just went and bought The Darkness 2, El Shaddai and Shift 2 the other day as well. Too many gaemz!!!

My first game(s) of 2012 were Devil Survivor 2 and PokePark 2: Wonders Beyond (because I bought them both at the same time)

However, while playing PokePark 2, my Wii broke and I had to send it in to get repaired. So by the time that comes back, I'll probably go ahead and finish up that game.

My next purchase though, lemme think...Off the top of my head, I believe my next buy will be Persona 4: Arena in August, unless of course we're counting XBLA games in which case I give it to Skullgirls...assuming that game is ever ****ing released...

The next big title I actually want is Lollipop Chainsaw, but I don't plan on picking that up on release date since I know there will be a price drop down the road.

Anyway, I don't mind the commercial capchas because A. I like to think it means more money is going to The Escapist and B. I can actually read the damn things with no problem. I don't mind typing "The all-new Chevy Sonic" over "gfHtlurb sCENe" after refreshing for 2 minutes trying to find one I can read and still end up getting it wrong because that "r" was actually an "n" that blended into the "b"

DustyDrB:

Let me save you some time and money and just suggest you look up a plot summary for this game. I'm an AC fan, I've defended it from the beginning. But Revelations was just hard to swallow. Yahtzee said that Brotherhood felt like a glorified DLC expansion, I would disagree, I thought it was a worthy game on it's own, and it brought in multiplayer with is just fun as hell.

Revelations though.........I really gotta say that this one DID feel like a glorified DLC expansion. I won't give you too many spoilers, suffice to say that your first REAL assassination mission takes place about half-way to 2/3rds of the way through the game. I think you assassinate a total of like, 3 people in the entire game.

Kahunaburger:
See also: gratuitous nudity in Ghost in the Shell.

Think it was in the 2nd season of the series where The Major ends up staying in a hotel with some 13 year old boy. She just walks out of the shower completely nude and doesn't give a damn at all. She crawls into bed naked with him and he asks her "Can you still have sex if you're in a full prosthetic body?" To which she rolls over towards him and smirks and says "Want to find out?"

I saw this and did a "Ummm...wait...what?! Is The Major propositioning a kid?! She's a pedophile!"

RJ 17:

DustyDrB:

Let me save you some time and money and just suggest you look up a plot summary for this game. I'm an AC fan, I've defended it from the beginning. But Revelations was just hard to swallow. Yahtzee said that Brotherhood felt like a glorified DLC expansion, I would disagree, I thought it was a worthy game on it's own, and it brought in multiplayer with is just fun as hell.

Revelations though.........I really gotta say that this one DID feel like a glorified DLC expansion. I won't give you too many spoilers, suffice to say that your first REAL assassination mission takes place about half-way to 2/3rds of the way through the game. I think you assassinate a total of like, 3 people in the entire game.

I already have it, though. I played an hour or two of it not long after it came out, but got bored. I know I have some sandbox fatigue going on, so I figured that was part of it. Most of the games I listed above have been sitting in my room unplayed for over a year. Whenever I feel like going through them, Revelations will be low on the list. It's entirely possible that I'll play Assassin's Creed 3 before I play Revelations, as AC3 sounds right up my alley.

DustyDrB:

RJ 17:

DustyDrB:

I already have it, though. I played an hour or two of it not long after it came out, but got bored. I know I have some sandbox fatigue going on, so I figured that was part of it. Most of the games I listed above have been sitting in my room unplayed for over a year. Whenever I feel like going through them, Revelations will be low on the list. It's entirely possible that I'll play Assassin's Creed 3 before I play Revelations, as AC3 sounds right up my alley.

Ahhhh, I thought you were listing games that you were intending on picking up but you just keep going back to old personal favorites. Like I said, you're not missing much in Revelations. It ripped off GTA IV in that the first half of the game is nothing but tutorials for all the new crap they stuffed into the game.

My next planned purchase is Guild Wars 2 but there are, of course, plenty of Steam sales inbetween now and then.

In the meantime, once I've finished downloading it again I'll finish Deus Ex:HR and continue wandering around in Skyrim looking for people who wont be missed so that I can murder them and loot their belongings.

I guess Guild Wars 2 could be my next buy since I'm going to pre purchase it on the release date April 10th. After that I may buy the Wii game Pandora's Tower which sould be out in the UK on April 13th (however I may not buy it due to my recent and future spending) and Diablo 3.

I'm really looking forward to Jet Set Radio HD. I never got the chance to play it on the Dreamcast because I never had one and it looks like a really fun game, too bad they're gonna have to change the soundtrack though.

The other two that I'm definitely going to buy are Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite, both highly anticipated sequels.

Onyx Oblivion:
Witcher 2 for Xbox. But Amalur has been tempting me soooooooooooooo much.

It should be, its like combining fable 1 and skyrim together.
Also AC5 is tempting me. I want to play a game where I can customize the stabilizers everywhere from my head to my arse.

I'll be pre-purchasing Guild Wars 2 ASAP.

Possibly getting the collectors edition but I haven't quite decided yet since it is rather pricey.

i don't know. i'm currently going through Metroid Prime Trilogy on Hypermode and 100% each game but after that...i will probably make a thread on here to decide my next game

Diablo III. Currently trying to figure out wether I should buy it in a store, and play it the day after release(or at least half a day later), or buy it online and install it so I can play right away.
Bit tricky since I really want a D3 box, and it's more expensive online, but fuck do I want to play it badly.

Also keeping my eyes open for Kingdom of Amalur. Waiting for the price to drop to at least 25 before I buy it... price has gotten up since release from where I buy games though. >.<

I recently bought Metal Gear solid HD collection. So that's a backlog right there.

I'll want to buy PS3 HD collections before I buy ones that are coming out this year.

RJ 17:

Captcha=Really getting tired of feeling like a consumer whore by being forced to type advertisements. >:(

As much as I don't like it, it's pretty clever. I'll give them that..

Well, for new releases, I'm probably just going to wait for Farcry 3, it looks promising.

But right now I'm working through some old-school games that I just got from Amazon.

I'm currently playing through Freelancer (With the Shattered Worlds Mod). Why the heck don't we have more space games like this?

All the new space games are either extremely scaled down (Star Fox), or so complex that you spend more time running around selling crap than actually exploring and fighting (X3).

Devil May Cry HD Collection. That's gonna be my April purchase.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a lot of news about it. Then again, what else can you say besides "the first 3 DMC games are being re-released in HD"?

Wing Commander

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked