Forbes thinks Retaking Mass Effect 3 is a good thing.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The way I see it the Retake Movement is not about throwing a tantrum and forcing Bioware to cater to the fans every whim. It's about Bioware making good on their pre release promises, and meeting their own standards. The same standards upon which they've forged their reputation.

The idea that a video game somehow hits the market as unchanging as a marble sculpture is antiquated and wrong-headed. No matter what the medium, art is alive until people stop consuming it, and nowhere is that more true than with video games.

The various pundits on either side of the debate can agree on one thing - something is different here. Bioware is facing a monumental wave of fan pressure, and it's faced with no choice but to respond and adapt. Other game developers have already taken notice. Yes, a precedent is being set. Yes, other developers will have to look at Bioware's example when making their games. The real message is twofold. First, that a developer has to live up to fan expectations, or else its reputation will be tarnished. The second is much more hopeful - the idea that in an age of social media, it might just have a chance to repair the damage."

Anyways, here's the link to the article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/03/30/the-real-precedent-being-set-by-mass-effect-protests/

On one hand, it is absolutely insane, and utterly embarrassing for the gaming community with Forbes magazine is the best source for intelligent analysis of the Mass Effect 3 situation. The gaming community should be able to handle this one, and it's dropped the ball. Heck, it tied its hands behind its back and jumped back behind cover when the ball got dropped.

On the other hand, Forbes magazine is taking the time and effort to look at this issue seriously, and offer intelligent and reasonable advice! It's not just saying "You idiot kids. Shut up.", they're treating the fans as if the fans are the equivalent of any other consumer out there. This is awesome.

Tono Makt:

On the other hand, Forbes magazine is taking the time and effort to look at this issue seriously, and offer intelligent and reasonable advice! It's not just saying "You idiot kids. Shut up.", they're treating the fans as if the fans are the equivalent of any other consumer out there. This is awesome.

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

The real message is twofold. First, that a developer has to live up to fan expectations, or else its reputation will be tarnished. The second is much more hopeful - the idea that in an age of social media, it might just have a chance to repair the damage."

This. This. Oh so much this! A million times this! This is the best summation of what I've been trying to get across to people, but could never adequately say.

Tono Makt:
On one hand, it is absolutely insane, and utterly embarrassing for the gaming community with Forbes magazine is the best source for intelligent analysis of the Mass Effect 3 situation. The gaming community should be able to handle this one, and it's dropped the ball. Heck, it tied its hands behind its back and jumped back behind cover when the ball got dropped.

I am just glad we have some REAL JOURNALISTS taking interest in the Game Industry.

I like Internet celebrities, Entertainers, Reviewers and Critics, but the Gaming Industry has gone far too long without REAL JOURNALISTS.

Wow, how amazing and disappointing at the same time. It's sad when we can't count on our own community to sit down and look at something instead of takin' shots at the ME3 situation after 5 minutes of thought.

boag:

Tono Makt:

I am just glad we have some REAL JOURNALISTS taking interest in the Game Industry.

I like Internet celebrities, Entertainers, Reviewers and Critics, but the Gaming Industry has gone far too long without REAL JOURNALISTS.

To play Devil's Advocate...so far, game journalism has survived on revenue almost exclusively received by game and computer companies, through a combination of ads and promotions(though the promotions themselves are basically just ads with a prize). And as the old saying goes, "don't bite the hand that feeds you".

However, the response from "game journalists" has been nothing if not deplorable. They decided to go with the "shut up, you whiny cockheads" route. There are many ways to go about disagreeing with a group, but how you come to the best choice being to debase your audience is beyond me.

I have no real problem with "game journalists" siding against the fans. It's what they do most of the time, so it didn't surprise me. But the level they sunk to? It's disgusting.

It's a shock to see anyone supporting consumers at this point. The "stop being so entitled" logic is pretty pervasive these days.

I still think the whole "Retake" movement is a load of hooey unless BioWare themselves openly admit that they jacked up. In which case, then they'd be looking at the situation not as simply trying to contain a fire, but instead looking at what created the fire in the first place then containing it.

wintercoat:
However, the response from "game journalists" has been nothing if not deplorable. They decided to go with the "shut up, you whiny cockheads" route. There are many ways to go about disagreeing with a group, but how you come to the best choice being to debase your audience is beyond me.

I have no real problem with "game journalists" siding against the fans. It's what they do most of the time, so it didn't surprise me. But the level they sunk to? It's disgusting.

My guess is that it's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction given how... "fickle," shall we say, the gaming public at large can get. Just like way back when CoD4 first dropped (and I bet even before then with the Halo series), you couldn't go 10 seconds without someone tripping (yes, not complaining, tripping) about the game. Thus, those with better anger management skills see the situation and go "Goddamn, not this shit again..." Doesn't make it excusable, but it's a theory if nothing else.

First, that a developer has to live up to fan expectations, or else its reputation will be tarnished.

Whelp, there goes every developers reputation. Sorry every modern developer. Bethesda, you have to stop making Fallout games like Fallout 3. I know you really want to, but the fans say you should not, so I guess your reputation is irrecoverably tarnished.

PS: The "Retake" thing is still asinine.

If there was an actual advertised promise made there might be a case for it, but all anyone is able to cite is what they have interpreted to be incontrovertable promises amounting to a response that boils down to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfwOqlnCKQs&t=2m29s

People invested too much time and concern over a mediocre sci fi story, spent entirely too much time on bioware forums and holding bioware to what they interpret to be a promise when no such promise was actually made. Ive still yet to see an actual advertisement or official press release before the game was released that said the game would have 17 different endings, and those endings would be reflective of your choices in the game and that they would all conclude the storyline in one cohesive vein. Its a paradox.

There is no logical ground to stand on. If you dont like a product, you stop buying products from that company in direct protest. Much like the notion of an (mostly)"always on" and Origin required Sim City 5 stops me from buying it. I didnt trust Sim City after as poor as I felt Sim City 4 was, so I used that skepticism and let it guide my purchase. So I wont be buying it. So ME zealots need to take this as a learning experience (why exactly didnt they prepare for this after the release of DA2 is beyond me) and make your wallet act as your voice. Like it or not this trying to force bioware to cave to the will of the irrational populous is not only illogical but counterproductive and damaging for the industry, as well as the customers.

All this has been said before by me or someone else, so instead of responding to quotes should they come, Im going to better utilize my time by.... demanding George Lucas rewrite and remake the prequel trilogy, all because I dont like it. At least then it would be fixing the error of what was an actually decent sci fi saga.

It's no secret that retake mass effect has raised $80,000 to child's play
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/03/15/paragons-of-protest-retake-mass-effect-raises-money-for-kids/
And raised $1,000 for over 400 cupcakes delivered to bioware
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/27/someone-sent-bioware-400-cupcakes.aspx

Do these sound like the actions of children throwing a tantrum? No, any idiot can see that they aren't. Yet everyone I've seen speak out against RTME conveniently forgets little facts like this.

So, why does Forbes still think RTME is a good thing? because Clearly it is.

Tono Makt:

I'd imagine it has something to do with the fact that the people at Forbes don't rely on EA advertising for their pay cheques. It's rather amazing how quickly anything resembling journalistic integrity can find it's way out the door if you think your job may be at stake if you actually say what you're thinking and make a reasoned argument.

viranimus:
If there was an actual advertised promise made there might be a case for it, but all anyone is able to cite is what they have interpreted to be incontrovertable promises amounting to a response that boils down to...

People invested too much time and concern over a mediocre sci fi story, spent entirely too much time on bioware forums and holding bioware to what they interpret to be a promise when no such promise was actually made. Ive still yet to see an actual advertisement or official press release before the game was released that said the game would have 17 different endings, and those endings would be reflective of your choices in the game and that they would all conclude the storyline in one cohesive vein. Its a paradox.

There is no logical ground to stand on. If you dont like a product, you stop buying products from that company in direct protest. Much like the notion of an (mostly)"always on" and Origin required Sim City 5 stops me from buying it. I didnt trust Sim City after as poor as I felt Sim City 4 was, so I used that skepticism and let it guide my purchase. So I wont be buying it. So ME zealots need to take this as a learning experience (why exactly didnt they prepare for this after the release of DA2 is beyond me) and make your wallet act as your voice. Like it or not this trying to force bioware to cave to the will of the irrational populous is not only illogical but counterproductive and damaging for the industry, as well as the customers.

All this has been said before by me or someone else, so instead of responding to quotes should they come, Im going to better utilize my time by.... demanding George Lucas rewrite and remake the prequel trilogy, all because I dont like it. At least then it would be fixing the error of what was an actually decent sci fi saga.

There are so many faults with this that I'll just address the three biggest ones.

First, You are talking past the actual points of Retake Mass Effect movement, which is all those against the movement have been able to do.
Second, you call Mass Effect a "mediocre" SciFi and Star Wars a good one... I don't know how you judge quality but here is a list of comparisons. More thoroughly developed universe; point Mass Effect. More real characters; Mass Effect. More moral reflection; Mass Effect. Cooler alien races; Mass Effect. Cool laser swords; Star Wars.
Third, there was promise after promise from the Devs regarding the ending - all of which fell flat.

Smeggs:

Tono Makt:

Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality.

Funny, it fits with Bioware's predicament at the moment...

On topic, I think this is rather awesome. I'm glad they see things the way they do, because at the moment most of the gaming media is essentially saying that devs can do what they want, and fans should just bend over and take it.

Carlos Storm:
snip

Carlos Storm:

Maybe I should have been clearer on my phrasing. I DO think the Retake Movement is a good thing. I support it every way I can.

"The way I see it the Retake Movement is not about throwing a tantrum..."

To the rest of the posters:

You know, at its core this is a group of fans passionate about Bioware's work. Fans who decided that instead of the usual reaction to a disappointment like this: "walking away and ceasing to buy their products" they chose to speak up and try to establish a channel of communication between them and the creator, to let everyone know how much they care as a community, while hoping to make the difference in the long run.

Is it far fetched? Perhaps. But we won't know if we don't try.

We care because we love. Do you think the developers behind Rogue Warrior got this feedback?

Tono Makt:

They're also not calling the industry any names either. While they've been siding with the fans, they've also been incredibly respectful towards the industry in the process.

To me that's the biggest difference between them and the "gaming press." If the industry had just disagreed with the fan outrage it would have been one thing. However, they're acting like children about it; name calling and insulting the very people who are their primary reader base. This is the sort of actions I expect here on the forums, not from "news sources."

That's the big kicker to me, and why I read Forbes almost exclusively for news about this. They're the only ones who seem able to act like adults.

This is all irrelevant. If you don't like bioware's story, too bad. It's theirs, they wrote in such a way to leave it open for DLC while trying to wrap things up in a satisfying way. The truth is, this reaction would've happened no matter how good the ending was because it wasn't "their" ending. It wasn't how they saw it in their head. You that support this, need to get over the idea that somehow mass effect belongs to you. It does not. You are not the writers, you didn't put in the time to program the code. The only thing you did do, was buy and play. You didn't put any real work in, therefore, you are NOT entitled to the ability to change it.

Tono Makt:

While I completely agree with most of what you said, I do take issue at labeling forbes the "only intelligent analysis". I don't think it's fair to dismiss every other media outlet as unintelligent because it doesn't ascribe to your views. Which isn't to say that you only think they're good because they agree with you, but simply that labeling thusly is not fair.

That being said, I do think forbes have been fantastic, and respectful of both sides, and most other journalists have indeed been far below the standard that should be upheld. The first that comes to mind is moviebob (although not a game critic, he is a critic on a website primarily occupied with games) and his tweets, and I guess colin moriarty as well.

Smeggs:

Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality.

Sorry, I couldn't stop myself

notsosavagemessiah:
This is all irrelevant. If you don't like bioware's story, too bad. It's theirs, they wrote in such a way to leave it open for DLC while trying to wrap things up in a satisfying way. The truth is, this reaction would've happened no matter how good the ending was because it wasn't "their" ending. It wasn't how they saw it in their head. You that support this, need to get over the idea that somehow mass effect belongs to you. It does not. You are not the writers, you didn't put in the time to program the code. The only thing you did do, was buy and play. You didn't put any real work in, therefore, you are NOT entitled to the ability to change it.

No one with any sense is pushing for any particular ending. People are pushing for an ending that meets basic literary standards, no matter what form it ultimately takes. You can see a decent breakdown of the biggest literary problems with the ending here.

The short version is that, as released, the end of ME3 fails fundamentally on every single level. It's abhorrent that they actually released it in a clearly unfinished state, made all the worse by people constantly defending it.

Aisaku:
It's about Bioware making good on their pre release promises, and meeting their own standards.

This is the only part I take issue with. "Things a developer said in an interview" are not promises. The only promise is the promise of assumed quality, that the third game in the series will match the quality of the first two games, and it is that one that they did not do a sufficient job of fulfilling.

notsosavagemessiah:

Irrelevance is a funny thing with products, as losing people who are invested in them does tend to cripple you DLC and at large, your expansions to the franchise.

The reaction would of happened either way? I sincerely doubt it. there would fo always of been people disappointed, that much is self evident but in this volume and with this strenght of feeling? No, I simply can't accept that hypothesis.

I don't have the ability to change it. Only Bioware does. The Retake ME movement was about saying to them we would like them not us to change it. People fuck up, it happens. Bioware is being given the opportunity to try and fix this problem.

Faerillis:

Second, you call Mass Effect a "mediocre" SciFi and Star Wars a good one... I don't know how you judge quality but here is a list of comparisons. More thoroughly developed universe; point Mass Effect. More real characters; Mass Effect. More moral reflection; Mass Effect. Cooler alien races; Mass Effect. Cool laser swords; Star Wars.
Third, there was promise after promise from the Devs regarding the ending - all of which fell flat.

The first point is moot.

The third point is inaccurate in that I have yet to see a direct promise cited, and plenty of interpretation of a promise cited. Until it is a part of an official document (IE not random posts on biowares forums, or in interviews, or any other format where the validity of it is based purely on the individual readers interpretation, Such as "Casey said in an interview there will be 17 endings" when Casey never actually claimed there WOULD BE 17 endings, then The notion that any promise being made falls flat. Seriously, Unless it is a part of an official document and says it in no uncertain terms such as "There will be 17 endings in mass effect 3 on ship date" then its not really a valid claim.

Now, as for point two. I DIDNT call Star Wars a good franchise. I said Star Wars is better than Mass effect. That is a subjective opinion. Just like the opinion that I dont like star wars either and No different than the opinion that Mass effect has cooler alien races. Honestly MEs races are bland, tedious and downright uninteresting carbon copies in my estimation. Its all subjective, and in my estimation Mass effect is a horrible joke. Mass effect might be able to go toe to toe with star wars though I still think star wars has the edge, but it cant hold a candle to many other much better sci fi narratives. Hell Id say Farscape was better than Mass Effect as a whole and that doesnt even look at other big ones such as Star Trek, Star Gate, Battlestar Galactica (all series tied together) or even babylon 5.

Then on the other points such as Moral Reflection.. Star wars is all about that. Developed? Are you sure about that or are you omitting not only KoTOR but the extended universe? Real chars.. Uhm, ok, yeah, MEs got more real chars.. and as it relates to something that is sci fi that is a determent. Seriously, has the last 20 years of media not been drenched enough in realism of both the gritty and normal kinds? Seriously I thought sci fi was one of the last bastions of escapism. Why must it be just as real and just as lame as everything else in this world? Laser swords... not even a pro for starwars because they are goofy.

Remember you have to separate opinion from fact with statements like that.

It is only natural forbes beats places like the escapist with game news and articles.

I mean look at the news on the escapist, their so called 'journalists' do very little research on their own, pretty much just copy pasting their stories from places like massive and kotaku while putting in a word or two of their own here and there.

I have actually started reading forbes for my real gaming news and the escapist for the lulz and forums.

Smeggs:

Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality.

OT: Finally some intelligence! I think one of the main problems with the gaming community, and the reason why we screwed the pooch on this one is due to the fact that as a whole the gaming community has a lot of growing up to do. We're young, as are the gaming journalist, and really I think one of the problems with the game journalist on this one is that they're struggling for relevance in a world where most people will take movies, music, and books seriously, but gaming is still considered to more of a hobby than anything, so when they saw a way to hopefully be taken more serious they jumped on it. Unfortunately no one on either side took the time to actually see things from the others perspective, (again the community as a whole is still immature) and we got the massive clusterfuck of Journalist VS Fans that could've been easily avoided. I hope that this experience betters the gaming community and makes us more mature, but I'm not going to expect much, at least not yet.

notsosavagemessiah:
You didn't put any real work in, therefore, you are NOT entitled to the ability to change it.

Thankfully, that's not the issue at hand. nobody's trying to change it themselves, they're trying to get Bioware to change it.

Faerillis:

viranimus:

There are so many faults with this that I'll just address the three biggest ones.

First, You are talking past the actual points of Retake Mass Effect movement, which is all those against the movement have been able to do.

Show me the evidence that clearly states what the developers promised you. If you can't, then you don't really have much of a case of any kind - not even a "false advertising" one.

Forbes doesn't run on EA ad money, so it's no surprise it has space for real journalism.

deadish:

Faerillis:

viranimus:

Show me the evidence that clearly states what the developers promised you. If you can't, then you don't really have much of a case of any kind - not even a "false advertising" one.

Except the vast collection of quotes from the Devs like Casey Hudson who explicitly stated that the endings would not be a clear A, B, C, choice and you wouldn't be able to tell how many endings there were. These quotes weren't hinting at that, but explicitly state that when clearly it was an A B C ending.

Faerillis:

deadish:

Faerillis:

Except the vast collection of quotes from the Devs like Casey Hudson who explicitly stated that the endings would not be a clear A, B, C, choice and you wouldn't be able to tell how many endings there were. These quotes weren't hinting at that, but explicitly state that when clearly it was an A B C ending.

Don't just tell me. Show me where he said that.

I'm asking out of curiosity.

deadish:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/37677/mass-effect-3-citadel-is-bigger-than-ever-endings-will-be-more-sophisticated/

Casey Hudson:

"This story arc is coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot more different. At this point we're taking into account so many decisions that you've made as a player and reflecting a lot of that stuff. It's not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C."

"It's more like there are some really obvious things that are different and then lots and lots of smaller things, lots of things about who lives and who dies, civilizations that rose and fell, all the way down to individual characters. That becomes the state of where you left your galaxy. The endings have a lot more sophistication and variety in them."

And the interview is from January no less.

deadish:

Faerillis:

deadish:

Well from Casey Hudson specifically:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/10/mass1525-effect-3-cas5ey-fdsafdhudson-interviewae.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

Casey Hudson:

Yeah, and I'd say much more so, because we have the ability to build the endings out in a way that we don't have to worry about eventually tying them back together somewhere. This story arc is coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot more different. At this point we're taking into account so many decisions that you've made as a player and reflecting a lot of that stuff. It's not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C.

It's more like there are some really obvious things that are different and then lots and lots of smaller things, lots of things about who lives and who dies, civilizations that rose and fell, all the way down to individual characters. That becomes the state of where you left your galaxy. The endings have a lot more sophistication and variety in them. It would be interesting to see if somebody could put together a chart for that. Even with Mass Effect 2's...

This was in GameInformer, a magazine run by GameStop, clearly advertising for the game.

BreakfastMan:

First, that a developer has to live up to fan expectations, or else its reputation will be tarnished.

Whelp, there goes every developers reputation. Sorry every modern developer. Bethesda, you have to stop making Fallout games like Fallout 3. I know you really want to, but the fans say you should not, so I guess your reputation is irrecoverably tarnished.

PS: The "Retake" thing is still asinine.

Ok... I'm sorry but what?
What is the point you are trying to make there?
Sure, if the majority of fans didn't want more Fallout games to be made, and didn't want them, then Bethesda probably wouldn't make them. And if it did make them, they wouldn't be purchased by those fans.
In the case of ME3, Bioware's reputation HAS been irrevocably tarnished to thousands of their core fanbase. The endings were so, as you put it, asinine that tens of thousands of people are protesting it, and many of those have vowed to never buy a Bioware game again.
Yes, the reputation is tarnished. That's how things work.

Faerillis:

deadish:

Faerillis:

Well from Casey Hudson specifically:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/10/mass1525-effect-3-cas5ey-fdsafdhudson-interviewae.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

Casey Hudson:

Yeah, and I'd say much more so, because we have the ability to build the endings out in a way that we don't have to worry about eventually tying them back together somewhere. This story arc is coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot more different. At this point we're taking into account so many decisions that you've made as a player and reflecting a lot of that stuff. It's not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C.

It's more like there are some really obvious things that are different and then lots and lots of smaller things, lots of things about who lives and who dies, civilizations that rose and fell, all the way down to individual characters. That becomes the state of where you left your galaxy. The endings have a lot more sophistication and variety in them. It would be interesting to see if somebody could put together a chart for that. Even with Mass Effect 2's...

This was in GameInformer, a magazine run by GameStop, clearly advertising for the game.

But it's still an interview, not an advertisement, and thus claims of "false advertising" are not applicable.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked