Mega Drive game suggestions

I just recieved a sega mega drive with a few games recently. Anyone have any suggestions of games I should pick up for it that I can't get on my wii's virtual console or anything I should get for the sake of having the cartridge.

The games I have already are: Sonic 1,2 and 3 and Streets of rage 2

Thanks for any help

D&D Warriors of the Eternal Sun
Shadowrun
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday
Pirates ! Gold
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Uncharted Waters: New Horizon
Starflight
Toejam & Earl
Shining in the Darkness
Might and Magic II
Shining Force
Ecco the Dolphin

Gunstar Heroes, Rocket Knight Adventures and Strider are the first that come to mind. Try and get Shinobi 3 if you can. Maybe get a 6 button controller and get MK and SF2?

Jesus, was it stolen from a museum?

Follow these instructions and you will have a gay ol' time, just like the flintstones!

1)look up the sega mega drive ultimate collection for PS3
2)read the list of games
3)buy the same games on that list
4)?????
5)profit!

For extra fun, don't get that Alex the kidd get a different one. Also there was a bike game that I would be on almost constantly but I can't remember the name of it!

It was top down and I am pretty sure the bike was green.

Also, marble madness.

Edit: I was thinking of enduro racer but this one

Street fighter 2 turbo is what I recommend the most. Seriously that game is FAST on the genesi...

Oh wait you have the megadrive. I'll just stupidly assume you'll be playing PAL games so I guess you will have to deal with games like Sub-sonic the hedgehog.

But get street fighter 2 turbo anyways. It's a brilliant game. The controller is designed perfectly for street fighter, it's basically a fightpad.

I might as well add Golden Axe as a recommendation too. There have already been lots of recommended games though.

Alright... It's time to get crackin'...

Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
Ristar
Streets of Rage
VectorMan
VectorMan 2
Battletoads
Zero Wing
Rocket Knight Adventures

Lugbzurg:

Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
Ristar
Streets of Rage
VectorMan
VectorMan 2
Battletoads
Zero Wing
Rocket Knight Adventures

Aren't all of these games for Genesis?? I assume I read it correctly that he had a Mega Drive.

That you can't get for the Wii Virtual console? Well, I don't know what's available on there, so here:

Sonic & Knuckles (seriously, if you already have the first three games, you need this one)
Ristar
Ristar
Ristar (if you don't want to pay for it three times, I guess that's fine)
Dynamite Headdy
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition (the original and The Lost World are all right, but this was the great one)
Ecco the Dolphin
Earthworm Jim 1 and 2
Vectorman 1 and 2
X-men 2: Clone Wars
Aladdin
The Lion King
Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure

More tentative but still sincere recommendations to Sonic Spinball, Sonic 3D Blast, and Desert Demolition.

chrono16:
Aren't all of these games for Genesis?? I assume I read it correctly that he had a Mega Drive.

They're the same console.

chrono16:

Lugbzurg:

Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
Ristar
Streets of Rage
VectorMan
VectorMan 2
Battletoads
Zero Wing
Rocket Knight Adventures

They're the same thing. Mega Drive is just what the Genesis was called in the PAL regions and Japan. Unless there's weird region locks on it it shouldn't matter.

I'd add Primal Rage a fighting game with dinosaurs.

Shadowrun a cyberpunk rpg

If you're into JRPG's it also has the Phantasy Star series. I'd also recommend Mutant League Football. (note this is American Football not soccer.)

For a good RPG series, get the Phantasy Star games if you can find them. Good luck, though.

I didn't pick it up late in it's life cycle, but I enjoyed the fuck out of

Robocop vs The Terminator

It gets hella-hard. You may want to pick up a game genie, but I thought it was great.

Nooners:
For a good RPG series, get the Phantasy Star games if you can find them. Good luck, though.

PS II and IV in particular. Also add Contra: Hard Corps, Dynamite Headdy (yeah, it's been mentioned but it's worth another mention). Pretty much anything else I could recommend has already been mentioned, so I'll leave it at that.

Wow, ok My bad. I thought it was comparable to the NES. I thought I remember seeing one in a game store a couple years back and it looked more like an intelvision than a Genesis. I guess those store owners were just being dicks as I have never looked up a picture of one cause I thought I was seeing correctly. I apologize for my retarded comment.
OT: Also don't forget about the Shinobe games. Those get hair puling hard near the end...and Gunstar Heroes is a MUST. I have it for Genesis, my Will virtual console and that new one that came out on Gameboy Advance. Not as fun though...

Desert/Jungle/Urban Strike, The Road Rash games and Wiz n' Liz were favourites of mine.

Golden Axe, Mystic Defender and if you haven't got Sonic & Knuckles get that too. First, if possible. Also, Streets of Rage.

Aside from the usual game that other will list, I'll add a few of my own.

Gunstar Heroes

The Lost Vikings

Phantasy Star 4

chrono16:
Wow, ok My bad. I thought it was comparable to the NES. I thought I remember seeing one in a game store a couple years back and it looked more like an intelvision than a Genesis. I guess those store owners were just being dicks as I have never looked up a picture of one cause I thought I was seeing correctly. I apologize for my retarded comment.
OT: Also don't forget about the Shinobe games. Those get hair puling hard near the end...and Gunstar Heroes is a MUST. I have it for Genesis, my Will virtual console and that new one that came out on Gameboy Advance. Not as fun though...

That might have been a Master System.

Golden Axe.

Trust me, hours of my life wasted on that game are numerous.

can't say any that hasn't been mentioned already
but there's Beggar Prince and Pier Solar, which are recent RPGs

Gunstar heroes is still one of the best games I have ever played.

Shinobi, if only because it has one of the greatest OSTs of all fucking time.

Ristar
Gunstar heroes
Alisia dragoon
rocket knight adventures
dynamite headdy
puggsy
golden axe 1+2

My fav games on the Megadrive were The Lion King, the Sonic trilogy, Streets of Rage, Echo the Dolphin

The only game I can remember right now for the MD that hasn't been said already is Dune 2: The battle for Arrakis. My very first rts game, I spent many hours on this. Get it.

So many good games at the time, but there aren't many I would have thought would have aged well.

With that said, Ristar was pretty great. Get Toejam & Earl just for the sfx. Rocket Knight Adventures was great too. Why not try Chuck Rock and Cool Spot whilst you're at it.

Panda out.

Spiderman: maximum carnage (its a beat em up)

I got nothing else for the time being, most other titles I can think off have already been said.

If there's a disney game that hasn't been mentioned yet it would be a safe bet as disney platformers from the 16bit era tended to be awesome.

Ah hang on, no one's mentioned flashback yet! Flashback.

Zero Wing
just for the glorious Engrish and dead meme intro

Batman and Robin .... oh hell YEAH. I still play this game. Still haven't managed to finish it.

Mega Turrican (hope I'm spelling it right but sweet game).

Golden Axe 2.

Flashback. Even for its time this game was different, and epic.

Batman and Robin and Golden Axe 2 are even more fun in 2 player mode. Mega Turrican & Flashback are single player.

to name a few I personally own and recommend:
Streets of Rage 1
Vectorman
Coolspot
Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
Aladdin
The Jungle Book
Quackshot
X-Men 2: Clone Wars
Castlevania: Bloodlines/The New Generation (US/PAL)

I also hear that these are good too, though I don't own them to agree or not
Flashback
Gunstar Heroes
Comix Zone
Rocket Knight Adventures

I'll second the rec. for Desert/Jungle/Urban Strike series. Amazing games, if a little frustrating at times.

General Chaos, also brilliant.
Flashback is a must have.
Definitely get the Mega Games 1/2/3 packs.
Any 007 game for side scrolling spy shooty goodness.

Comix Zone is great.
Nobody has mentioned Mutant Chronicles Doom Troopers, a rare Contra-esque experience.
Also try Dune 2 for brain strain and Zombies Ate My Neighbours for goofiness and frustration.

Jungle Strike and Urban Strike are AWESOME.

Starflight. The game will last you years. It's the best star trek game that isn't actually star trek. You can even land on and explore planets. Yeah, mass effect didn't in fact invent that feature.

Thanks for all the suggestions people. Just got an really cheap Sega Mega CD too (only €5!!!) Anything other than Snatcher and Sonic CD worth getting for it?

Racecarlock:
Starflight. The game will last you years. It's the best star trek game that isn't actually star trek. You can even land on and explore planets. Yeah, mass effect didn't in fact invent that feature.

Far from it; Starflight was a huge influence on Mass Effect. The Mako was based on the lander from Starflight. Definitely a classic game, and worth trying whether you get the Genesis version, the Amiga version, or the IBM version (the latter of which runs in Dosbox and is easy to find on the fansites, although I'm not sure what the legal status is there.)

Wonko the Sane:
Thanks for all the suggestions people. Just got an really cheap Sega Mega CD too (only €5!!!) Anything other than Snatcher and Sonic CD worth getting for it?

Lunar and Lunar II are good if you like JRPGs; Night Trap might be worth getting cheap just for the historical value (that and Mortal Kombat are pretty much the reason the ESRB exists.) Also, I can't vouch for the gameplay, but I hear the best version of Eternal Champions (a Mortal Kombat knockoff that is famous for being gorier while using hand drawn sprites instead of digitized actors) is the Sega CD version.

P.S.: I'm not suggesting you do this, but the Sega CD had even worse copy protection than the Dreamcast did. I hear you can literally burn a disc, pop it in, and play. An interesting fact, if true.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked