Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Appeal

I like the Mass Effect series, and Mass Effect 3 is no exception. The ending is a flaming trainwreck, but I still enjoyed the game up to that point. Much like Mass Effect 2 in that sense.

I'm a bit on the fence about the multiplayer, though. The combat mechanics are pretty enjoyable, and I'm glad that BioWare didn't try to supplant them into some awful, unsatisfying deathmatch mode. There's a pretty good variety in payer classes and enemy types, and their AI is spot on.

This forms the basis for a strong game, but it really lacks longevity. Being able to play races of classes you're actually interested in seems like a crapshoot due to the finicky random economy, so it feels like quite a grind to see the content you want. This isn't helped by there being exactly one game mode. It's not a bad game mode, but one match lasts quite a while and completing the same three or four varieties of "push this button while trying not to get shot" gets tiresomely predictable. It just lacks all that narrative context that motivates you in the single player storyline.

I don't mean to say it can't or shouldn't be enjoyed, because I know that you probably do if you're reading this. So, what keeps you interested after however many hours you've logged so far?

It's fun, but it's shallow, as you've noted. It's not much on its own, but it was surprisingly non-shitty as a value add.

For me, I love the combat mechanics of the series and MP alllows me to experience them easily without having to play through the story again. Don't get me wrong, I love the single player experience, but the MP lets you quickly get right to the heart of the matter.

Is it repetitive and is the random reward nature frustrating? Sure. I don't know if I'll still be playing it in even a months time but, for now, I can't get enough.

I've found the class abilities kinda fun. So it's been interesting to see how say the Asari Vanguard plays differently then the human one.

It's not as good as Gears of War 3 horde mode.

- Too few maps
- No base-building minigame like Gears 3 (I love that)
- No heavy weapons or Bosses like Gears 3

StriderShinryu:
For me, I love the combat mechanics of the series and MP alllows me to experience them easily without having to play through the story again. Don't get me wrong, I love the single player experience, but the MP lets you quickly get right to the heart of the matter.

Is it repetitive and is the random reward nature frustrating? Sure. I don't know if I'll still be playing it in even a months time but, for now, I can't get enough.

Pretty much the same for me.

I have little to no motivation to run the story mode again since I can try other playstyle online now.

I swap classes every match, it feels.

Honestly? If this didn't have the online, I'd have sold it to Gamestop or Amazon or something by now.

Like most people, I had my reserves about hearing about "ME3 mulitpalyer hurr!". But I decided to throw caution to the wind one day and give it a shot. You know, maybe it's as good as everyone said it was.

Long and short, I was not impressed. It's competent, but I wouldn't call it "good". More like "okay" or "average". And I despise the fact that it directly ties into the story campaign. Collecting assets during the story itself has little bearing on the overall story!

And honestly, if not for people constantly clamoring about it, I often forget that multiplayer is in ME3. Shows you how much I care, doesn't it?

I'm not sure why, but I'm still playing it. It's highly enjoyable and addictive. I guess what keeps me playing is the desire to unlock new weapons.
It's all so very pointless, and I fail see to see lasting value, yet I keep playing.

As someone who loved Gears of War and its Horde mode, I though the Multiplayer was pretty awesome. Not a lot to it, but I'm sure EA/BioWare will add more to it, probably for a price, but that's not new.

The only thing I would've liked is a Survival Mode where you just keep going until you fail, rather than a flat 10 waves all the time.

I enjoy it, but I'm not really one for multiplayers.

I'll probably have another go tomorrow, if it doesn't auto kick me off the server!

Eh, I played it a bit during the demo, enjoyed it, then for some reason just stopped and had no desire to play it again.

Doubt I'll bother to put in the code for it if I ever get the game after I'm done borrowing it from a friend.

There isn't much interesting in it to keep me going in it besides dicking around here and there with friends. It is too shallow to have any replay value beyond a couple games here and there.
I would be far more interested in actual missions and a multiplayer campaign mode.

Me, I love it for some utterly inexplicted reason. It's quite insubstantial, but it still has some progression, and it provides just the kind of "You are awesome!", that's designed specifically to trick my brain into enjoying grinding in MMOs, whenever I take someone's head off.

Of course, some could describe it as boring, but the fact that I've played MMOs for six years should indicate that soul-crushing boredom is something that doesn't really bother me that much, or spoil my enjoyment of a game.

Once you've unlocked what weapons/characters you like and played through it repeatedly it gets old.

I did really enjoy it for a couple of weeks but it wasn't enough to keep me interested for long.

I'm hopeful that they will add a slew of extra stuff to the multiplayer through dlc like new modes and.......new modes. More unlockables as well. A bit disheartening to see they are going the skylanders route with action figures that unlock more content like mp skins and weapons. Pretty much out of left field that one.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/23/mass-effect-action-figures-include-me3-dlc/

Wish that was an April fools joke........

Sure, it's not the deepest multiplayer around, but doing a Gold mission with a solid team is a tense and satisfying thing.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked