Games you want to like but just can't

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Games that you really do like but it's that one thing that keeps it off your "Best Games" list.

For me it's the Uncharted 3 multiplayer. At times it's the most fun I've ever had with a multiplayer game. Others it's the most rage-inducing thing I've ever played. Often it's like I'm playing against people who have special boosters that aren't available in my version of the game. A booster to increase the power of your punches so that they're one-hit-kills, a booster that makes you invincible when rolling, etc. I just can't take it sometimes and have to turn the game off after one or two matches. And this is coming from someone who's played a hell of a lot of Call of Duty, the king of cheap, rage-inducing deaths. Never really got upset at getting mowed down by double-shotgun wielding kids in MW2/3 or getting killed by magic bullets in Black Ops. I'm a pretty calm player and can usually take defeat in stride, but there's something about Ucharted 3 that makes me want to put my first through a wall, and because of that and how it makes me feel I can't really say I love the game as much as I want to.

What are yours?

I'll go with uncharted 3 but single player .

I want to like it , and i really should . It's like prince of persia ... With guns ! Now i love the first 3 PoP games and i love gun but i can get into uncharted 3 ( haven't played the two previous games due to me just buying a ps3 and the game came with it). Drake is such a douch , i want to punch him in the face . The game is good looking , and it's fun but i don't know why but it just doesn't sit well with me for some strange reason . I really can't stand the protagonist or his selfish reasons for beating up people . I really can't explain it .

krazykidd:
I'll go with uncharted 3 but single player .

I want to like it , and i really should . It's like prince of persia ... With guns ! Now i love the first 3 PoP games and i love gun but i can get into uncharted 3 ( haven't played the two previous games due to me just buying a ps3 and the game came with it). Drake is such a douch , i want to punch him in the face . The game is good looking , and it's fun but i don't know why but it just doesn't sit well with me for some strange reason . I really can't stand the protagonist or his selfish reasons for beating up people . I really can't explain it .

I was going to say pretty much that I just don't like the game. I don't know why I just don't.

Skyrim (and Oblivion)

Seriously, this should be the perfect game but I find myself getting distracted by shiny things outside of Skyrim and putting it down. I played it a bunch so I guess it was half-successful but I don't really see myself going back to it again after this third put-down.

I think the AI is broken (bad guys seem to think it was their imagination when their third bandit friend dies from sudden arrow sprouting), the combat is boring, and the story is non-existent. I get that these are not the points of playing Skyrim but they just bug me too much to let go...

All of my friends seem to find these wicked awesome caves with super adventures in them while I just find the cave of retarded bandits...maybe I'm just unlucky and that's why I don't like it as much as I should.

Homeworld. I think it's just because I suck at RTS games, but regardless, it's a pretty good game.

The Elder Scrolls series. All of it. Somehow the massive deviation it makes from holy D20 just doesn't gel with me... and that makes me feel like a fervently religious person, which annoys me.

RAGE and Alan Wake. I wanted to like those games, I did, still do, but I don't. There's just something about them that seems........off to me.

*waits for fanboys to permaban me/Escapists to flame me*

Hey, it's just my opinion.

Random Escapist:

Your opinion sucks.

FUCK OFF.

Kingdoms of Amalur. This game has everything that should make me become a computer-bound shutin for months at a time: interesting crossclass mechanic, beautiful graphics (that don't horribly tax my graphics card), intriguing skill system, a story penned by world famous and much-beloved authors...

And I didn't get five hours in before uninstalling it.

Neverwinter Nights 1+2 and Baldur's Gate 1+2

I just found them to be so boring and tedious. Add to that my unfamiliarity with D&D, and they were just unfun experiences.

Alan Wake and Persona 3.....I loved Persona 2 and the concept for Alan Wake seemed awesome but both games really left a bad taste in my mouth.I really did give them a shot, they just didn't work out for me.

The Fallout series. I've played through Fallout 3, and I just could not get myself really into the game. I don't even know why because I generally love those open world quest games where you can just sort of go places and do things and get fancy weapons and armor upgrades. I loved Borderlands, for example. But for some reason, the Fallout games have always really bored me. I tried out New Vegas and couldn't get through 10 hours. And the worse thing is I don't really know why.

Deus Ex Human Revolution.

I'm not even 10 hours in and I just see no reason to continue. I'm not having fun. I don't care about the love interest, whatever the hell her name was or her god damn mother either. Why is the city of Detroit the size of one half city block? Does Adam sleep in the hallways of his place of employment? Where the hell is his house? Where is the rest of the city for that matter?

No game, I'm not going to sneak around anymore in your story-telling set pieces and throw myself at furniture until you quit acting like a linear, story driven FPS with cover based mechanics.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

I loved Final Fantasy Tactics on GBA and I find that there are things in this game which are better in comparison......but by Christ is the difficulty just too brutal. A handful of the missions I had to go through felt so hard to accomplish and the amount of farming to get my troops to their strengths to finish them was just not fun for me. The other game felt alot easier to get through the story without feeling stuck but in this game the amount of times I have to grind my arse off just to finish one stinking mission is just annoying.

Also that one mission where you have to defend Rapha on Riovanes Castle Roof, two words:

FUCK....IT!

The Bit.Trip games. We have a very complicated relationship, but when it comes down to it I'm really not a fan of trail and error.

Also, every hack and slash game ever, they're just not my thing.

I second Kingdoms of Amalur. Technically it has everything: fast paced combat system, massive lore created just for it, nice graphics, tons of things to do etc. but in the end I forgot about it 5 minutes after killing last boss.

Uncharted and Assassin's Creed

I can acknowledge these are all decent/good games, but I just despise them. They are totally not my taste. From their protagonists to their settings, I am immediately bored the moment the games starts. What makes it worse are all the platforming elements mixed into these games. As much as I like that, it doesn't help their case, but instead just makes me reminiscent of better days when these games would have had more imaginative settings, exceptionally higher complexity in level design and much better protagonists who weren't 30-40 something everyman.

I would just rather go back to playing Sly Cooper or the old Tomb Raider games, which seem similar enough to me, just better in every aspect.

Lewieroo0:
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

I loved Final Fantasy Tactics on GBA and I find that there are things in this game which are better in comparison......but by Christ is the difficulty just too brutal. A handful of the missions I had to go through felt so hard to accomplish and the amount of farming to get my troops to their strengths to finish them was just not fun for me. The other game felt alot easier to get through the story without feeling stuck but in this game the amount of times I have to grind my arse off just to finish one stinking mission is just annoying.

Also that one mission where you have to defend Rapha on Riovanes Castle Roof, two words:

FUCK....IT!

lol I'm having the same exact problem. I'm finding the AI partners you get frustratingly retarded and the enemies use potions like their life depends on it (99% of the time it does, 1% I feel is just mocking me)

OT: Elder Scrolls hands down, love big open worlds, fantasy weaponry and interesting mythos, but clunky combat, bad UI setup, and hilarious glitchiness just don't work for me. Although I used Targets buy 2 get on free thing today to get SCV, Uncharted: GA, and Skyrim. So hopefully things will look good for it.

Also the Starcraft series. I loved Warcraft and I think RTS's are good it's just Starcraft just ends up not being my thing. I think after learning that competitive RTS games amount to people just looking up or creating "Builds" to max out units in the quickest fashions just kind of destroyed the genre for me.

Alpha Protocol.
It's an Obsidian RPG which means I should like it. I like all their other stuff. Best writing in the industry as far as I'm concerned.
For some reason I hate it. I don't know why. I honestly don't. Most of the stuff about it sounds really cool. But I get an hour or two in and I just want to stop playing. It makes me want to go and do anything else. Like accounts. Or defrag my hardrive. Or clean something. It's weird.

Assasins Creed:Revelation

It's just so..bland
Looks and plays the same as the other games in the series and the story doesn't make it feel any better :c
Jumping off a roof top and stabbing someone was fun the first time but after 4 games...

Reccetear.

It's a game I enjoyed for a short bit, since it had almost everything I'd like. But once I made my second weekly payment by the skin of my teeth, saw how high the next payment was, and realized that I could no longer read my customers, it just got too nerve-wracking to play.

I figured I wouldn't mind if they'd just let me play the dungeon-crawling segment over and over...then I realized they made an entire game out that. It was called Chantelise, and it was great.

TorqueConverter:
Does Adam sleep in the hallways of his place of employment? Where the hell is his house?

He lives in the Charon apartments on the other side of the subway line. You didn't get there, yet?

Well, no point if you're not going to continue (no, it never magically turns into an open-world sandbox ala Infamous or Just Cause), or you'd visit there several times. And find out that, while Adam was under sedation, he received a ton of get-well cards, they had to put his dog to sleep, and his reaction post-augmentation upon looking in the mirror was punching it (several times, even; it's implied he's had to order so many replacements, the manager just refuses to tell him a new shipment came in).

Skyrim, and X3 Albion Prelude.

Both huge open worlds, plenty of things to find, see, do, exactly what I hope for. Yet.. I dont know, I cant stay focussed on them for very long. Bit like New Vegas, I think it is great, yet I enjoy replaying the beginning, more than finishing it.

Grenge Di Origin:

Random Escapist:

Your opinion sucks.

FUCK OFF.

I , personally agree, whenever i started up the game, about 2/3 missions in i remember a game that i'd be a lot more inclined to play.
Hell, i got the game as an attachment with my GameStar magazine. I admit that by FPS standards it is way above average, and there might be a good game in there somewhere, but i just ain't feeling it

I have friends who play World of Warcraft, so I wanted to get into it too. I want to be a part of the hour long conversations about raids and battlegrounds. It never feels like I'm making any progress. It's so repetitive. I've heard people talking about running an instance 20 to 30 times to get one specific loot to drop. And there's that whole pay every month to play thing. No thank you. I will never get into WoW.

Keoul:
Assasins Creed:Revelation

It's just so..bland
Looks and plays the same as the other games in the series and the story doesn't make it feel any better :c
Jumping off a roof top and stabbing someone was fun the first time but after 4 games...

I have this same problem, I was like "well I enjoyed the previous games a bunch, i'l ask for this for christmas". Forgetting that I played two on release and didn't play brotherhood until very late, revelations doesn't have the forgiving nature of time to make me happy anymore :(

I WANT to like Dark Souls.

But then I realize that its impossible to 'like' that game.

Also, Assassin's Creed Revelations. Fuck that game. I swear if Ubi don't pull something fresh for AC3 that doesn't include arbitrary and pointless features like bombs and fucking den defense that I never even use anyway, it'll be pretty sad.

Fallout new vegas i was super exited for it because I loved fallout 3 but it ended up being the biggest cop out' lazy design piece of of crap ever i kept trying to tell myself it was good...but i just couldn't.

Skyrim. I spent money on it expecting it to be awesome, but it was... meh. I wish I could have enjoyed it more, as I could have spent a lot of time in it.
ME3 as well. The game ain't that bad, and I've invested so much time into the universe its not funny, but... I can't enjoy it after the ending. Its just... Gah.

The Witcher. Juvenile collectible cards aside this looked like a game I could thoroughly enjoy, but for some reason I can't seem to. I've been told the sequel is much better and that I don't need to have played the first one to get the story, but I'm still skeptical.

The Uncharted series is the kind of adventure I love, but aside from the fact that I don't have a console, I see videos of Nathan Drake and I find myself holding a phantom controller and trying to force him to run off a cliff.

Of course special mention must be made of L.A. Noire. I fucking love film noir! I love the fashions of early and mid-20th century. And I recently acquired a taste for jazz. But despite the vibrant characters and the interesting story, the actual gameplay was ridiculously hit and miss, especially the action scenes. The fighting controls seemed to take all my button-pressing as white noise instead of commands, the shooting was like trying to aim while drunk, and the driving was like trying to steer a bumper car through a bog. And don't get me fucking started on how I couldn't save when I wanted and all of the cutscenes were bloody unskippable.

And then there's The Witcher. On the surface, it should be the sort of thing I'd be all over like ugly on ape. But I got through about an hour and I just... fucking gave up. The mechanics were clunky and impenetrable, the interface was counterintuitive, and Geralt was a complete twat I just wanted to punch in his stupid albino face.

Grenge Di Origin:

Random Escapist:

Your opinion sucks.

FUCK OFF.

Personally, I didn't like HL2 that much either, I have never understood the huge fanbase it has. Nothing really stood out about it for me. But when you post like that and give no actual answers or reasoning it just seems like either you are trying to win some kind of Hipster points or are just flaming.

OT: Fallout: NV. I love the game so much sometimes, but the crashes are so damn common, especially if you mod it to a decent level, it just gets so infuriating. Oddly, the only game running out of the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games I've had any trouble with. I always wondered what people were complaining about with the other games being glitchy/buggy, but now I know.

Final Fantasy XII. I tried to like that game, I really did, but it didn't like me...

Final Fantasy. Any of them really. Can never just sit down and finish them. Also adventure games, same reason. I WANT to get lost in those amazing, immersive settings where things don't shoot at me all the time but just CAN'T pay attention long enough.

I know I'm going to gamer hell for saying these but... Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Most of the gameplay is just unpleasant, and the story isn't enough to save it for me. I do like the worlds, I do like the stories, I just can't stand the gameplay and often the amount of text I have to read. Sometimes it feels like I'm reading a book and watching people walk around while occasionally getting some action. It sours me to playing any further Bioware games.

I also disliked Assassins Creed, too much faffing about, too little assassination and with not enough catharsis in the kills. And Half-Life 2 wasn't all that entertaining to me either, I gave up around the time I was moving object around the sand to avoid ant-lions. Oh, and Arkham Asylum I hated because... Well, I just suck at that kind of game.

Theres lots of others, mainly because I go into all games hoping to like them (except Call of Duty) but those are the ones that everyone I talk to really builds up and I just found unpleasant.

The Mass Effect series.

I just don't like them. After years I finally caved and bought and played the first, but I got bored after the first mission and haven't been back since. I didn't have fun and the story didn't grab me.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked