Gamer Fired for taking "Pokemon Breaks."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

You should have kept doing it anyway, then sued when he/she fired you.

Smeggs:
It isn't like they're going off and having super-happy-fun-time anyway. They're out their, poisoning their lungs for five minutes. What the hell do people think they're doing on a smoke break? Riding a T-Rex while fighting aliens?

Being a smoker myself I can tell you that is exactly what happens. We HAVE to go on a "smoke break" ever hour to keep the aliens away.

We keep you safe, you're welcome.

Sotanaht:

Sansha:
Absolutely.

Just because someone has a self-inflicted toxic addiction doesn't make them special enough to be the only ones who should be able to take more time off through the day, compared to the same-level employees who work just as hard who have chosen not to inhale jet fuel, tar and nicotine for giggles.

I'm sorry if that seems harsh or aggressive but at places I've worked, this is a very real thing - smokers get more breaks to sit and puff while the rest of us do not.

It isn't fair that smokers should be entitled to extra break time - this isn't a disability like a weak heart or damaged knee/hip, something that can't be helped and the employee would be happier without, this is smoking - the conscious decision to become addicted to inhaling the burning fumes of a cancerous plant, as someone else so elegantly put it.

I don't think smokers should *not* be allowed those extra breaks. That leads to frustrated employees and reduced productivity, but the other employees should be entitled to just as much break time. Two or three minutes chillin' three or four times in an eight-hour shift, even with other breaks, can make a lot of difference.

And it shouldn't matter what someone actually does on their extra breaks. Chillin' is chillin', smoking or Pokemon.

100% this. Although I might add that there might be another, totally separate problem with playing video games at work whether you are on a break or not. The fact remains that if smokers are going to be allowed extra breaks, everyone should be. Beyond the simple fairness of it, I can actually imagine situations where someone takes up smoking simply because it allows him to take extra breaks at work, which is the last thing anyone should encourage.

That sounds utterly insane, but not unheard of. But, yes. Considering cigarette dependency is different from more debilitating conditions and disabilities, as argued above and below, if they get extra time off, everyone should. And like I said, even a few minutes chilling can make workers a ton happier.

Pandabearparade:

EClaris:

Um no, that's not the same "problem". The same problem is someone who get diagnosed with diabetes and has to take a few minutes out of their day to test their numbers and give themselves shots.

No.

Diabetes is a disease, smoking is an addiction. A smoker can go without a cigarette, a diabetic could die without insulin.

Precisely, a pretty good summary of what I said.

1. No. Not at all. There is no reasonable justification for needing smoking breaks outside/on top of already allotted break time. Every attempt at justifying it so far in this thread has been, frankly, pathetic.

2. I would find it curious but not surprising; This kind of sentiment is, I imagine, quite widespread.

I think having a break is a good thing for people like getting a few minutes to have a drink or even just get some fresh air or phone someone.But playing pokemon just feels like you wasting the break you are being given.

So i can see bosses going well if you dont need to take a break then i wont give you one.

EClaris:
1)well, as others have said, it's an addiction. Though I've never been addicted to cigarettes, I have friends who are. Sometimes, people do need their fix or they will experience negative symptoms and not perform their job at peak capacity. It's just a medical condition who's influences on performance are being minimized.

2)I wouldn't be surprised really. And I think that a lot of people here would get upset over the fact he got fired and do some false equivalency arguments tying to twist it so the smokers got fired. But who knows?

Fawxy:

Scarim Coral:
Sorry but I against your descision to use the "smoke" break just to play Pokemon. People who smoke are allow to have extra time since being a smoker is being addicted to it. Sort of getting their fix per say. Likewise I do not fully know if a smoker can carry on with their job (or in a environment where they cannot smoke) without having a cig for a long period of time.
Beside what can you do in Pokemon for less than 5 minutes? A random encounter battle?

So smokers should be given extra rights because they made the conscious decision to become addicted to a cancerous plant. Cool.

Oh look, the attitude I was talking about. How surprising

Attitude or not, he's right. Besides smaller breaks more often are more stimulating than a single big one.

Albeit being hypothetical, firing someone over a game seems like a bit of a stretch.

As an Australian in the Hospitality industry, this has been covered as a matter of policy; smoke breaks are not allowed for two reasons.

Firstly, employers are increasingly wondering whether they are legally liable for sanctioning time off for their employees to do something patently harmful. Secondly, as was suggested in the OP, it's unfair to the employees who don't smoke. Me and the rest of the staff work 11-hour shifts and take a half-hour break five hours in. That's the only time people get to smoke; there certainly aren't any other sanctioned opportunities.

Also, at the risk of sounding judgemental, if your habit makes it hard to work to the point where it noticeably affects your efficiency if you go six hours without a cigarette, then frankly that's your problem, and employers have no obligation to cater to it.

Tree man:

So, we have a smoker taking time out to indulge in his/her habit, while still being paid for it, then we add in the factor that this is not deducted from their normal break times plus the fact that other employees do not get this privilege.

If you cannot see a problem with that scenario then you are an idiot and have most likely not worked a day in your life.

No more needs to be said.

End this thread.

GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER.

Abandon4093:

I really don't want to go hunting down sources, I know they're out there but by god is it annoying having to go and find them all over again.

Just let me leave you with a bit of logic and see if that sates you for the time being, you're more than welcome to go look for the studies in your own time.

But if nicotine created a true chemical dependence, why wouldn't nicotine patches or gum satiate that chemical need completely? Often patches especially, contain and release far more nicotine than is contained within a single cigy. But they're one of the least effective methods of weaning someone off them. Whilst fake cigs and hypnotism are far more successful.

The answer is because it's the act of smoking which is, for lack of a better word, addictive. Not the chemicals they releases themselves.

The act of deep breathing, the holding of the cigarette, the almost automatonic way that smokers carry out the activity. It's a habit. Not a true chemical addiction like say heroine or alcohol. If it were then hypnotism really wouldn't work, and to break it by willpower alone would cause severe comedowns as your body is desperately trying to make you fix what joneses it.

Now lets be clear, your body itself does release different chemicals when you're smoking and that is part of why people find it such a hard habit to kick. Seriously, fuck you reward centre.

But gaming also changes your brain chemistry, as does sex and other non chemical taking acts. Infact the chemicals that your brain releases during coitus are much, much more geared to the reward centre than the dopamine released during smoking. Oxytocin being an obvious example. As is the serotonin release from eating chocolate.

It really all comes down to what you would call an addiction, personally I think unless your body actively punishes you for not taking a substance, it isn't an addiction. Just a habit, going without a cig might make someone irritable, but the same could be said for just about anything you do habitually. I've personally seen more violent reactions to facebook withdrawal than I have cigarettes.

...no, still not buying it. There are so many logic jumps in that post that there's no way I'm trusting internet person 001 over literally everyone else I've ever spoken to about the subject.

Anyway, boop.

Equal rights for smokers and non-smokers.

If smokers get a smoking-break, than non-smokers should have a non-smoking-break.

If non-smokers get no non-smoking-break, smokers should have no smoking-break.

SirBryghtside:

Abandon4093:

I really don't want to go hunting down sources, I know they're out there but by god is it annoying having to go and find them all over again.

Just let me leave you with a bit of logic and see if that sates you for the time being, you're more than welcome to go look for the studies in your own time.

But if nicotine created a true chemical dependence, why wouldn't nicotine patches or gum satiate that chemical need completely? Often patches especially, contain and release far more nicotine than is contained within a single cigy. But they're one of the least effective methods of weaning someone off them. Whilst fake cigs and hypnotism are far more successful.

The answer is because it's the act of smoking which is, for lack of a better word, addictive. Not the chemicals they releases themselves.

The act of deep breathing, the holding of the cigarette, the almost automatonic way that smokers carry out the activity. It's a habit. Not a true chemical addiction like say heroine or alcohol. If it were then hypnotism really wouldn't work, and to break it by willpower alone would cause severe comedowns as your body is desperately trying to make you fix what joneses it.

Now lets be clear, your body itself does release different chemicals when you're smoking and that is part of why people find it such a hard habit to kick. Seriously, fuck you reward centre.

But gaming also changes your brain chemistry, as does sex and other non chemical taking acts. Infact the chemicals that your brain releases during coitus are much, much more geared to the reward centre than the dopamine released during smoking. Oxytocin being an obvious example. As is the serotonin release from eating chocolate.

It really all comes down to what you would call an addiction, personally I think unless your body actively punishes you for not taking a substance, it isn't an addiction. Just a habit, going without a cig might make someone irritable, but the same could be said for just about anything you do habitually. I've personally seen more violent reactions to facebook withdrawal than I have cigarettes.

...no, still not buying it. There are so many logic jumps in that post that there's no way I'm trusting internet person 001 over literally everyone else I've ever spoken to about the subject.

Anyway, boop.

There's no logic jumps. And you can believe it or not, doesn't really bother me.

Two wrongs do not make a right. Don't break rules because other people do. The right thing to do would have been to talk to your boss about the smokers getting extra break time.

There are laws for this type of thing. Where I live, you can't fire an employee (that has gone thru probation, of course) without a very good reason regardless of if hes part of an union or not. You can fill up a complaint and your employer might have to take you back.

In this scenario, if his boss allowed other employees to take an extra break, he most likely cant fire him for *asking* to have to same privilege.

I treat the people who smoke at my workplace like like lepers, thinking they should have extra rights, I'm a casual smoker and I can resist the urge to light up all the time. Either way, just because they're doing it doesn't mean you should copy them. Your paid to work, not sit around.

Also Pokemon a pretty lame...

It be one thing if he asked his boss about it before hand, but just doing it and then justifying it later... yeah he deserves to be fired.

Why would you even bring your gaming things to work in the first place. That stuff will get stolen, for sure. Also, why would you be surprised to get fired after whining to your boss about Pokemon, on top of doing other creepy stuff?

From my experience working at McDonalds, in the state I'm currently a resident in, they don't "have" to give you breaks at all unless you're working longer than the average full-time employee. I was amazed at how I went from being treated like a normal human being with things to do outside of working there to being worth less than dirt when I turned 18 and state laws stopped protecting my rights. It suddenly went from "Ok, it's 12, you're scheduled to go home" after working since 3:30 to "We didn't schedule anyone to work drive-through over night, so stay until 4 in the morning" on the same schedule, even though I had to go to school at 6 and then go back to work at 3.

After being called in on one of my few days off to discuss my "unacceptable performance" on a station I had never even worked, I politely told them to go fuck themselves and quit, after which most of my fellow employees quit too.

EDIT: Anyway, the point is, if you get breaks while working at MdDonalds at all, consider yourself lucky.

Going without a fag for hours on end and having to work in customer service is my idea of hell. And no I wouldn't be surprised if this actually came up at some point, I'd be more surprised if it hadn't already and just hadn't been reported.

SirBryghtside:

Abandon4093:

Anyway, boop.

It is only in part the substance you are dependant on.

A smoker plans his daily life around his cigarettes.

Everyday he has to make time to satisfy his needs, while still trying to get all the other things in his life done on time.

If you have been smoking for a decade, then taking a smoking-break is as vital to your daily routine as your lunch-break.

This is why so many smokers have such a hard time quitting: they not only have to fight the chemical addiction, they also have to fight the learned behaviour they have been following for so long.

And many simply don't know what to do with the extra time they now have, as the time they had reserved for smoking has become free.

The whole story is silly because across the country businesses are taking no-hire policies on smokers and not allowing smoke breaks.

Also, I've seen very, very few businesses that offer 'official' smoke breaks. It's more that people sneak out and smoke.

Scarim Coral:
Sorry but I against your descision to use the "smoke" break just to play Pokemon. People who smoke are allow to have extra time since being a smoker is being addicted to it. Sort of getting their fix per say. Likewise I do not fully know if a smoker can carry on with their job (or in a environment where they cannot smoke) without having a cig for a long period of time.
Beside what can you do in Pokemon for less than 5 minutes? A random encounter battle?

Also as if it was a real news, as sterotype as it sound but if that happen in Asian (as in the news of some employee getting fired over playing a game over a short break) than it wouldn't suprise me. However I suppose it would't suprise me in general seeing how some people can't handle their gaming additions.

if you smoke you CHOOSE to smoke, therefor you CHOOSE to be addicted, not really making it an addiction.

Treating it as if it's some sort of disease is just stupid.

That sounds kind of stupid honestly...as have been mentioned gaming isn't an addiction and it's probably a bad idea to treat it like one (since so many people want it to be taken seriously). The idea of a smoke break is the real stupid thing to me though but I've never smoked and can't pretend to know how it feels going through a nic-fit.

Spartan1362:

Good luck. I believe there are smoke break regulations that allow employees them by law but no such thing for a nintendo DS.

Smokers get more than enough shit already, people here have seriously suggested banning smoking in one's own home (I thought they were making a reductio ad absurdum argument against the smoking bans at first). Leave Britney alone.

keinechance:

SirBryghtside:

Abandon4093:

Anyway, boop.

Everyday he has to make time to satisfy his needs, while still trying to get all the other things in his life done on time.

If you have been smoking for a decade, then taking a smoking-break is as vital to your daily routine as your lunch-break.

This is why so many smokers have such a hard time quitting: they not only have to fight the chemical addiction, they also have to fight the learned behaviour they have been following for so long.

And many simply don't know what to do with the extra time they now have, as the time they had reserved for smoking has become free.

I actually just thought of a really good study that could be done to test the exact part that nicotine plays in cigarette addiction.

Do a study where long time smokers are given cigarettes by a group and they must use these instead of their normal brand cigs.

Within these have a control group who're smoking their normal brand in new packaging, and a tester group who're smoking cigarettes with no nicotine. But neither group will know what the test is about and think they're just product testing a new brand or something.

Give them all access to as many cigs as they need etc and after a month see if there's any noticeable difference between the control group and the testers.

I'd be hugely surprised if there was.

Abandon4093:

Onyx Oblivion:
Pokemon isn't a physical addiction, so I feel he was not justified in his desire for a Pokemon break.

Neither is smoking.

Entirely habitual.

But lets say for the sake of argument that smoking was a chemical dependence. Should I be allowed to take scotch breaks? Because alcohol can actually become a very real chemical dependence.

And I know I'm going to regret saying this because people seem to be obsessed with the idea that smoking is a chemical addiction. But I just really had to put my two bits in there.

Whilst neither a smoker or alcholic, I remain skeptical that nicotine isn't an addictive drug. I'm all for the argument that the worker shouldn't have let themself get addicted in the first place though.

The next point I make isn't out of experience and is merely food for thought, but alchohol does (in most cases) impede people's ability to work, whereas if a smoker does take his smoke break - hopefully in a break time that has been given to all workers - he will be able to work much more readily and won't have other things on his mind. It may be weak-minded and unhealthy in the long run, but it gets him to work efficiently and that's all the employer will care about.

I think it's unfair that people get breaks for smoking, because as pointed out, there are plenty of other things people would like to do for 5 minutes that they can't because they're meant to be working. If smoking keeps you from doing your job, it's your choice to smoke, decide not to. I don't see people claiming they should be allowed to do a worse job than another employee because they're alcoholic. It's up to an individual to make sure they do their job properly, and if they can't do that without cigarettes, that isn't the employer's problem.

That said, I think it would be good form to have small breaks in between long hours for employees, but not just those that smoke.

As for gaming breaks, I think that's just as stupid an idea as smoking breaks, but I can see the point when smoking breaks do exist.

Professor Idle:

Abandon4093:

Onyx Oblivion:
Pokemon isn't a physical addiction, so I feel he was not justified in his desire for a Pokemon break.

Neither is smoking.

Entirely habitual.

But lets say for the sake of argument that smoking was a chemical dependence. Should I be allowed to take scotch breaks? Because alcohol can actually become a very real chemical dependence.

And I know I'm going to regret saying this because people seem to be obsessed with the idea that smoking is a chemical addiction. But I just really had to put my two bits in there.

Whilst neither a smoker or alcholic, I remain skeptical that nicotine isn't an addictive drug. I'm all for the argument that the worker shouldn't have let themself get addicted in the first place though.

The next point I make isn't out of experience and is merely food for thought, but alchohol does (in most cases) impede people's ability to work, whereas if a smoker does take his smoke break - hopefully in a break time that has been given to all workers - he will be able to work much more readily and won't have other things on his mind. It may be weak-minded and unhealthy in the long run, but it gets him to work efficiently and that's all the employer will care about.

Well alcoholics have real withdrawal symptoms. I'd argue that one scotch would would actually improve their ability to work. Seriously, go look up alcohol dependency, I don't think anyone jonsing for alcohol is going to be in any kind of fit state to work.

Abandon4093:

keinechance:

SirBryghtside:

Anyway, boop.

I actually just thought of a really good study that could be done to test the exact part that nicotine plays in cigarette addiction.

Do a study where long time smokers are given cigarettes by a group and they must use these instead of their normal brand cigs.

Within these have a control group who're smoking their normal brand in new packaging, and a tester group who're smoking cigarettes with no nicotine. But neither group will know what the test is about and think they're just product testing a new brand or something.

Give them all access to as many cigs as they need etc and after a month see if there's any noticeable difference between the control group and the testers.

Since nicotine IS a physical addictiv substance, you will notice a difference as they will go into withdrawel.

But they will most likely not know why they feel so "under the weather".

After the physical withdrawel stops, they will feel better, and continue to smoke their cigarettes.

Baneat:

Spartan1362:

Good luck. I believe there are smoke break regulations that allow employees them by law but no such thing for a nintendo DS.

Smokers get more than enough shit already, people here have seriously suggested banning smoking in one's own home (I thought they were making a reductio ad absurdum argument against the smoking bans at first). Leave Britney alone.

Yeah, I know. I've never bought onto this need to bully smokers. It's exactly their choice, and their right, to do what they want with their own lives. The disgust these forumites are expressing are ridiculously over the top; this is the type of irrational hatred our country needs to protect our minorities from, even minorities like smokers who are unfashionable to defend.

Nihilanth's Repeating Flintlock:

Baneat:

Spartan1362:

Yeah, I know. I've never bought onto this need to bully smokers. It's exactly their choice, and their right, to do what they want with their own lives. The disgust these forumites are expressing are ridiculously over the top; this is the type of irrational hatred our country needs to protect our minorities from, even minorities like smokers who are unfashionable to defend.

I agree, if you agree that your freedom to smoke stops at blowing your smoke into my face.

keinechance:

Abandon4093:

keinechance:

Since nicotine IS a physical addictiv substance, you will notice a difference as they will go into withdrawel.

After the physical withdrawel stops, they will feel better, and continue to smoke their cigarettes.

It really isn't anymore physically addictive than chocolate or caffeine. In fact probably a lot less than caffeine.

Abandon4093:

keinechance:

It really isn't anymore physically addictive than chocolate or caffeine. In fact probably a lot less than caffeine.

The people who had both of their legs amputated because of "smoker's leg", and still continue to smoke heavily, paint a different picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thromboangiitis_obliterans

keinechance:

Abandon4093:

keinechance:

The people who had both of their legs amputated because of "smoker's leg", and still continue to smoke heavily, paint a different picture.

I guess cheesburgers are the most addictive thing on the planet then. Because diabetes related amputations don't stop people from noming them down.

This just in, bad habits are hard to kick. /Shocker.

Abandon4093:

keinechance:

Abandon4093:

I guess cheesburgers are the most addictive thing on the planet then. Because diabetes related amputations don't stop people from noming them down.

This just in, bad habits are hard to kick. Shocker.

Are cheeseburgers a physical addictiv substane?

That is absolutely fair. Either everyone gets "smoke breaks" or nobody does. And don't give me this "oh, smokers need to be able to take breaks because of they need to smoke" crap. Nobody needs to smoke. This isn't like bathroom breaks or lunch breaks- human beings need to eat and pee in order to stay alive. You don't need to smoke to survive.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked