When do you know you've been playing a game for to long?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Okay, Just wanted to post this cause something freaked me out.

My name is/can be closely approximated to "Jackie" as in Jackie Estacado. The audio and subtitles on the Darkness 2 are no longer saying "Jackie", They're saying my name. Its 9:55 pm now, and I've been playing since about 7am. Thus I know I've been playing too long.
What weird experiences with games have you had due to either extended play time, sleep depravation, or something else that tells you it might be an idea to stop playing?

Now, If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go sit in a dark room and try to manifest my powers.

When your blood runs cold at the sight of a tiny E symbol that represents the elephants coming to kill you...during winter...when your defenses are lowered...and your dwarves are out of beer.

Also when you can hear the Dwarf fortress music in everything.

Y'know that stage when your left arm goes numb and all you can remember is the faint sound of the paramedics trying to restart your heart?

I'd say about 6 hours before that happens.

When you would rather save the game instead of your family in case of a fire.

Been caning Just Cause 2 for over a week lately and all I see when I close my eyes is the map and Panauan stars. Texaco petrol stations really make me want to blow them up, too.

Well i think we have ALL had that moment where a track/ theme in a game gets stuck in your head- and follows you throughout the day...

Also i dont think i will ever be fit for a car after the way i drive in games :D

If your car doesnt look like the road warriors afterwards, you've done something wrong.

When my wife goes up to bed and I say "i'll be up in a minute, just finishing this quest/zone/shootout"....

Next thing I know she's coming down in the morning ready for work and i'm still playing.

That's happened 4 times now.

I feel asleep on a piece of pizza during a shut in experience involving Oblivion back when I first got the game. I just played and played and one day it all caught up with me and I woke up with a face full of pizza.

When you try to get out of bed but you don't have enough stalkers for a push.

I really don't know how to adequately explain how or why I thought that. I just, in my mind, told myself I had no stalkers, and I needed some to push out. So I didn't leave bed.

Oh I'll just finish this quest...

Rinse. Repeat until the end of time.

when your playing a bethesda RPG and are taking a break to get some soda and find yourself thinking "i better save just in the fridge crashes"

when you start to have fucked up dreams about the game your playing, know that is creepy as hell

when you play a third person game for hours then get up to do something and find it weird to be in first person controll of something. You then fall over your dog and wake the house up

When you think that plane in the sky is an enemy AC-130 and you look for a building to run into.

It happened once, and that was a while ago, okay?

NO SUCH THING! Sleep is for the weak! Alls I need is a catheter and a nutrient drip! And energy drinks, plenty of energy drinks!

I've had so many experiences where this becomes the thought on my mind. xD

When you start dreaming of the game. ... Even if it's a game that hasn't been released yet.

When you start seeing the world in blocks. (Damn you Minecraft!!)

When you find yourself saying, "Yeah, I could scale that building."

Jedoro:
When you think that plane in the sky is an enemy AC-130 and you look for a building to run into.

I can beat that one.

During my last or second last year of school. We were practising safety drills and whatnot, the one for a fire sounded a lot like the Nuke Countdown in MW2. The entire school was in the hall when they were demonstrating the sound of the alarm and I said out loud
"ENEMY NUKE INCOMING"
Then I realised I was at school..

Broady Brio:
Oh I'll just finish this quest...

Rinse. Repeat until the end of time.

This 100%. I can't count the number of times that it's almost midnight, I've got work the next day and I keep pushing off going to bed in favour of doing an other "small" quest or just going back to an outpost to turn in a bunch of quests. But it just never ends.

Whenever I hear birds chirping.
Just happened today. A friend and I were playing Borderlands yesterday. We started somewhere during late afternoon and at some point, I went to the toilet to pee.
I was standing there in front of the toilet, when I suddenly realised that the birds are chirping. You can't look through the window but it's transparent enough for the light to get through and I could see that it wasn't so dark anymore outside. The shutter on the window in my room had been closed, so I had no idea.
I went back to my room, looked at the clock and it said that it was 6 in the morning. I just thought that it couldn't be true. I was really surprised, it felt like it was around midnight.
I go to my PC and tell my friend about that through the mike. At first he didn't believe me, he checked the time and I just heard, "Holy Shit dude, you're right!" coming from the headphones. That's when we decided to stop.

Beryl77:
Whenever I hear birds chirping.
Just happened today. A friend and I were playing Borderlands yesterday. We started somewhere during late afternoon and at some point, I went to the toilet to pee.
I was standing there in front of the toilet, when I suddenly realised that the birds are chirping. You can't look through the window but it's transparent enough for the light to get through and I could see that it wasn't so dark anymore outside. The shutter on the window in my room had been closed, so I had no idea.
I went back to my room, looked at the clock and it said that it was 6 in the morning. I just thought that it couldn't be true. I was really surprised, it felt like it was around midnight.
I go to my PC and tell my friend about that through the mike. At first he didn't believe me, he checked the time and I just heard, "Holy Shit dude, you're right!" coming from the headphones. That's when we decided to stop.

I had a similar thing. Back during 09 when World At War map packs were released, me and 2 other mates would play the zombie maps till around 2-3 am. For me at the time it was school nights. The next day I would always crash in Maths.

when you start calling plants and bugs by their skyrim names not actual names. i nearly called a firefly a torchbug earlier.

imahobbit4062:

Jedoro:

I can beat that one.

During my last or second last year of school. We were practising safety drills and whatnot, the one for a fire sounded a lot like the Nuke Countdown in MW2. The entire school was in the hall when they were demonstrating the sound of the alarm and I said out loud
"ENEMY NUKE INCOMING"
Then I realised I was at school..

Yeah, I never had anyone use a nuke in any match I played, but I did stick to Hardcore, so people died if you spat at them.

When I glance at the clock and say "you know it's 2 in the morning, maybe I should go to bed."

Also I'm not sure if this counts but after I beat borderlands I went and played Halo Reach and when I looked at the SPARTANs up close they all looked like they were using the same cartoony graphics.

When your wife asks you what you want for dinner, and you say, eh, its Friday night, lets order a pizza, and then she responds with, uhhhh, its Sunday. Yea, ToR Beta weekend was not pleasant for her.

My general theory is when I start skipping stuff. If I stop doing the game 100% on my way through, I take a break.

Well let me think

When i pretend to be Commander Shepard at School...

(as in i pretend shooting things and doing that cool Omni-blade thing)

For me it's when my mind opens up and time appears to slow.

When January 11th comes and I say "It's Alta´r's birthday!" instead of saying "It's my birthday!".

When I get bored and do something else.

You know you've played Mount&Blade too much when the text that pops up in the bottom left corner (telling what has died and damage given) shows up in the corner of your eye when away from the computer.
You know you've played too much Gran Turismo when you start taking a racing line in your actual car on regular roads.

Lets see:
-When I freak out because the world isn't made of cubes and these circle things exist, Too much Minecraft.
-When I think doing something fun would get me in trouble so I first try to quicksave, Oblivion.
-I fail at jumping something and hurt myself because of too much Prince of Persia.

My friend apparently walked into shop class, saw a bottle of turpentine, and immediately thought "Weight 1 Value 2."

I like to think he spent the rest of the period trying to make a Rock-it Launcher.

When I was playing the first Assassin's Creed, I kept picturing the little distortion things that appear around people when they're really important in cutscenes. It didn't help that I was sitting on a bench.

Chasing-The-Light:

When you find yourself saying, "Yeah, I could scale that building."

Correction: That is a result of parkour.

OT: When you willingly hold off going to the bathroom until it hurts.

Well, yesterday my cousin and I were just talking about anything and we somehow got to talking about lighting fires. Our first thoughts into getting a fire stared was to start finding flint in gravel. We didn't think of matches or a lighter to a good five minutes.

When you hear a dog bark and immediately go "Growlithe!", or when you start hearing the Pokemon Center music whenever you walk into a hospital.

When my first reaction to picking something up was 'I better break it to pick it up'. Minecraft Binges are not good for that reason.

Also, when you hear a scary noise and do a combat roll into cover... you should probably stop playing Mass Effect 3/Gears of War. My Fridge made a growl a couple days ago while I was playing ME3, so I rolled off my chair and took cover behind my couch... then immediately went 'The fuck am I doing?'.

When I'm doing a dynasty warriors level, doze off, and wake up to a screen that says "Victory."

When my eyes hurt when I remember to blink.
When I stand up to go get a refill, I lose my balance.
When you can quote random npc about two seconds before they start speaking.
When you can't remember what you just did for the last 20min. Including cut scenes.
When you can name random npc without getting close enough for the text to appear.
When you're one hitting stuff before you know what it is.
When your mind is going faster than your reflexes.
When that need to go to the bathroom just fades away.
When the seat becomes custom-build to shape around your flank, even though you just got out of it.
The controller has dried crust on the sides from sweat drying on it.
The rubber thing on the control sticks rubs off.
When the battery for the controller has to be plugged in again for the third time today.
The sun is coming back through the window.
Writer's cramp even though you haven't touched a pen.
Mirages of mobs when there are no mobs.
You keep hearing dialogue after the character stops talking.
You notice the above stuff.
Animals bring empty food bowls to you.
You remember you own a vehicle. This surprises you.
Shirts change color.
The cheese puffs/chips in the bag get smaller.
A little message at the bottom of the screen says to take periodic breaks.
You name inanimate objects in the game.
You stop doing the quests and slowly walk through undestroyed towns instead.
You make nonscripted roleplay with npc.
You decide to eat when your character receives a food-based item. One bite per item.
And finally, the game crashes.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked