Will you be supporting next GEN consoles?
Yes!
23.7% (89)
23.7% (89)
Not sure yet
38.9% (146)
38.9% (146)
No
36.5% (137)
36.5% (137)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Are you going to support NEX GEN Consoles?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Though most of what is being said about the next gen consoles are nothing more then possible rumors and speculation, I find it hard to avoid the facts where consoles seem to be heading. Sony and Microsoft (so far) seem to be geared towards no backwards compatibility or used games and content. I cant buy cheaper copies of a game or let a friend borrow it? Thats just wrong. And its not just them. If you watched any recent episodes of the Jimquisition even he has been discussing some of the messed up ways big game companies that we even have loved choose to treat its customers and fans. Just look at EA. Need I say more?

I personally dont like the way things have turned out for video games and it breaks my heart but I refuses to support such disrespect we the consumers get for being nothing but loyal fans.

So vote if you are for or not for the future GEN consoles then leave ur thoughts. Id love to get some feedback on this topic.

EDIT: As for Nintindo. I didn't really take the Wii seriously and I find it hard to feel any different about the white i pad called the Wii U.

If the rumors turn out to be true I can't in my good conscious support them. If this is all BS however I will be on board... albeit when functional models are released (no launch consoles for me) and the consoles actually have good libraries of games.

If the next console gen does suck as much as we think it might I'll be going full-time PC.

I could have sworn that Microsoft said its new console wouldn't be announced until at the earliest 2014...

No. Console business practices are ass backwards, and since PC gaming is making a comeback to the dominance it held in the 90s, I'm well off. I don't need to spend 599 dollars on a console that has one good launch game and a shit ton of bugs when I have one system that can play everything from 1990 to 2012.

I'll likely become a PC gamer with a Wii U (still love those first-party Nintendo titles too much).

Im probably going to be going PC all the way but thats mostly because in hindsight I cant honestly say this console generation was really worth it. There were really only a few console exclusives I enjoyed and most of the games Im willing to replay are on PC anyway.

The things that will make me forsake the coming generation include No backwards compatibility, no used/borrowed games, and no good games for the systems.

If consoles have backwards compatibility thats a reason to get them sooner rather then later because I can play say Dark souls on my xbox version 3 and junk the old one. Not having that option means more shelf space and frankly Im just out of it. Ive got the original xbox, xbox 360, PS2, and PS3. Where am I going to stick 2 new systems? I just dont have the room on my shelf. At least the PS2 allows me to play PS1 games, so thats some saved shelf space

If consoles allow me to borrow a friends game to try it out, then Im also totally on board with that. Some games Im not sure of before I see a lets play. Others I never hear about till its sitting in front of me and rather then buy a game I havnt played Ild rather ask my friends if they have it and try it out. If I like it Ill buy it, if I dont I wont. Everyone wins. If borrowing/renting/buying used isnt an option then Im not going to buy their system flat out.

Then Im reminded of the PS3 coming out which barely had any games for the bloody thing and was hoping to sell on the promise of Metal gear solid 4. Im not buying another $400 system on the chance that one day there MIGHT be a game I want to play on it.

Nope.

The PS3 was my last console buy. I'll be sticking to my PC when the next gen rolls out.

As always, it depends on the console-exclusives available. I'm a PC gamer first and foremost, but I bought and kept a PS3 because of games like Metal Gear Solid 4, GTA 4, Demon's/Dark Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, sports games, and various others that either aren't available on PC, or aren't as good on PC.

Once they release a few games that I decide I have to play, I'll probably get a new console. The used game issue doesn't really affect me personally, but a lack of backwards compatability would likely delay my adoption significantly.

obviuosly not.

I don't even support current gen consoles however I am cool with new consoles simply because it means I might not have to keep playing games on my high end PC designed for hardware that is 10 years old.

I will support whatever platform brings me the most enjoyment, and doesn't penalize me for being a budget conscious consumer.

I will keep playing on my laptop. It can handle The Witcher 2 on high right now, so I think it's got a few more years of life left in it.

If Microsoft and Sony are really going to shun the used markets and, refuse backwards compatibility than it may lead to another crash. That being said though, I've been paying more attention to the Wii recently and am starting to love the thing. That being said I'll more than likely be grabbing a Wii-U. I already have a 3DS and am looking forward to the next Smash Brothers and whatnot. Other than that, I'll be hitting up amazon and, play n trade to build up my classic games collection.

If the rumors are true then no. If they aren't then it depends entirely on what those consoles will be like. I am a PC gamer primarily, but I have no problem with consoles as long as there are advantages to owning a console. Right now there aren't any besides some exclusive games on PS3. Which is why I own a PS3.

As much as I've ever supported this generation of consoles, monetarily anyway. Zero support.

darkstone:
I will support whatever platform brings me the most enjoyment, and doesn't penalize me for being a budget conscious consumer.

I doubt the no backwards compatibility thing will happen for one reason. Newer generation consoles are quite delicate, and if it broke, you would be unable to play all your games.

Having to pay for not only the replacement of a console (assuming it didn't have a free replacement warranty) plus a fee to unlock all your games would cause so much uproar. It'd be corporate suicide.

Of course a lot of devs don't like used gaming, so obviously these rumors would circulate. But logically, I'd say that's all they could be.

So yeah, I'll support the next gen, because this is all a bunch of hearsay and fear-mongering.

Absolutely not, my PC has made up for my 360 dying like there wasn't even a red ring involved. Hooked my 360 controllers up to it, spent 15 bucks on a steam sale and got most of my games back and I have my PC hooked up to my TV so I hit 2 buttons turn around and my TV now has Darksiders on it.
There's no used games on PC sure, but I'm sorry steam sales of 50% off or more? Even DLC on sale? Used games don't even have that good of prices.

ForensicYOYO:
Though most of what is being said about the next gen consoles are nothing more then possible rumors and speculation, I find it hard to avoid the facts where consoles seem to be heading. Sony and Microsoft (so far) seem to be geared towards no backwards compatibility or used games and content. I cant buy cheaper copies of a game or let a friend borrow it? Thats just wrong. And its not just them. If you watched any recent episodes of the Jimquisition even he has been discussing some of the messed up ways big game companies that we even have loved choose to treat its customers and fans. Just look at EA. Need I say more?

I personally dont like the way things have turned out for video games and it breaks my heart but I refuses to support such disrespect we the consumers get for being nothing but loyal fans.

So vote if you are for or not for the future GEN consoles then leave ur thoughts. Id love to get some feedback on this topic.

EDIT: As for Nintindo. I didn't really take the Wii seriously and I find it hard to feel any different about the white i pad called the Wii U.

I don't pretend to know how easy or difficult it is to support backwards compatibility in consoles. I have never expected such compatibility in any console, ever. If the ability to play old games is desirable, then go play on PC. A PC is a PC is a PC (for the most part).

I would go as far as to say it is unreasonable to demand consoles have backwards compatibility. Again, I don't understand how they work, so I am assuming there are technical reasons why backwards compatibility is difficult and/or expensive. I'd love to hear someone more knowledgeable chime in.

No used games? Welcome to our (PC) world. It does seem unfair. I would like to think of the consoles as an independent 3rd party in the game devs vs game retailer war, but it is inevitable that they will be dragged in at sometime. I'd rather see the consoles move to a digital distribution market with the option of a physical disk rather than physical disks being the standard as they are now. The ability to sell hard copy and buy a used hard copy will be for those willing to put up with the hassle of a physical hard copy. Yes it's a hassle. I've just recently been converted to a purely digital distribution format. No longer having to rely on shelf space of a brick and mortar store to find my games and rely on placing a disk in my optical drive or other DRM measures in nice. With DD the DRM is built in and fluid. The access to an immense game library alone is worth it.

Killing the used game market while still maintaining an old fashioned hard copy disk system is just stupid. IF they want to discourage used games sales then just move towards digital distribution. Follow in the footsteps of the PC like you have always done consoles. Don't do anything stupid. I can only imagine the consoles would be using some online key index to verify a physical hard copy of a game being played is indeed new and blocking access to games that are deemed as used? Where does that leave the people with games they no longer wish to play? Throw them in the trash? We already have that problem on PC but I simply refuse to outright buy story-driven linear video games. If I want to rent a game for a few days I play on Onlive.

of the rumours weve heard so far are true (no backwards capability, no used games etc) then i wont support them until i actually need to upgrade, if however they do have backwards capability and allow used games then i will fully support them

Yes i will. i don't care about used games (never bought used game and don't plan on starting) and all that stuff. All i need is console that plays new J-RPGs and i will buy it. (probably PS4)

Nope.
<- PC Gamer.

Binnsyboy:

I doubt the no backwards compatibility thing will happen for one reason. Newer generation consoles are quite delicate, and if it broke, you would be unable to play all your games.

Having to pay for not only the replacement of a console (assuming it didn't have a free replacement warranty) plus a fee to unlock all your games would cause so much uproar. It'd be corporate suicide.

Of course a lot of devs don't like used gaming, so obviously these rumors would circulate. But logically, I'd say that's all they could be.

So yeah, I'll support the next gen, because this is all a bunch of hearsay and fear-mongering.

Of course I don't put much stock into these rumors either, plus removing backwards compatibility hurts early adopters of new hardware because, lets be honest here, launch titles for new consoles usually suck and people who buy the next gen will have a long period of time where they're waiting for something to come along and validate their purchase, and in the mean time they'll be sitting there playing last gen games on the new console because they most likely sold their old console to soften the blow of the large price tag, which if I had to hazard a guess wouldn't be any less than 400 dollars for the basic set-up of anything new coming out.

For me it depends . Now although all that was said by the OP is true , i don't care about any of that stuff . What i do care about , and i have said this time and time again , is physical copies of my games . I have been a console gamer all my life , and whilst i have no problem with PC gaming , other than the occasional Blizzard game , i have no intention of becoming a pc gamer ( too much work , yes i am lazy sue me) . So i will buy the new console(s) all long as they still sell physical copies of games , from brick and motar stores ( i'm old fashionned i don't do this internet shopping thing people love). Therefor , when the next logical step for selling games of Digital download ONLY kicks into full gear , i will stop buying NEW games , and will officially become a retro gamer .

Now again , i do see the appeal of PC gaming and Digital download , those two things do not interest me in the slightest . And it will be a sad day for me when i have to stop buying games due to the lack of physical copies ( i am somewhat of a collector , thus i like having a box and a game to put on my shelf).

does that mean i wont be able to go down to my local video store and rent the latest titles? that would be rather annoying however yeah i will still support the next gen of consoles, but not till well after they come out and drop in price. i have only just recently bought a PS3 and i plan to get some mileage out of that first.

darkstone:

Of course I don't put much stock into these rumors either, plus removing backwards compatibility hurts early adopters of new hardware because, lets be honest here, launch titles for new consoles usually suck and people who buy the next gen will have a long period of time where they're waiting for something to come along and validate their purchase, and in the mean time they'll be sitting there playing last gen games on the new console because they most likely sold their old console to soften the blow of the large price tag, which if I had to hazard a guess wouldn't be any less than 400 dollars for the basic set-up of anything new coming out.

Yes, and let's not forget that going back as far as you like, backwards compatibility has been there. The peripheral for the SNES (which, being a peripheral, was bought) proves it's a selling point.

Plus if a new gen console misses things like backwards compatibility and being able to play used games (which, correct me if I'm wrong, are a wee bit fundamental) then surely a rival console will just use that as a selling point to get one over on the other. If I were a Sony exec, I'd look at it this way:

If we don't include these features, people will be angry. This will lose sales.
Therefore including them may gain us more sales.
If Microsoft includes them, and we don't, it will be seen as the better console.
If we include them and Microsoft doesn't, vice versa.

So even if they knew that other developers weren't including these features, it'd make no sense for a console developer to ignore them.

I'm not sure if I will buy any of the next gen consoles, but it's not because of the reasons listed above (no backwards compability, no used games etc.). It's because I'm just not that fussed about the next generation. Unless they announce something that I feel I simply must have, like an uncensored version of Manhunt 2, I might just pass on it.

I didn't support this gen consoles, or last gen consoles, and next gen are geared up to be the worst of the lot - so why would I support them? I'd rather spend that money on a GTX 680.
Yes, I am a part of the glorious PC gaming master race.

I bought my ps3 4-5 years ago because i couldn't afford a new computer to game on.
I then could afford one and bought a gaming PC.
Now my PC is only just good enough to play new games... So it depends if i can afford a new PC or a new console by the time the next gen comes out.

Here is a video from Totalbiscuit on this matter if anyone is interested. Fast forward to 1:30 to get into the details.

Probably. I feel it's time to return to my Nintendo roots however.

Lol pc gaming!

It depends, at the minute all these rumours are just that, rumours. I'm staying on the side of cautiously optimistic until they're actually announced. Then, if I like them I'll probably pick them up at some point, and if I don't like them I won't. But there is still quite a while before any news will actually happen, and until then Master-Control needs a new graphics card.

I am quite sure I wont be buying the next $ony or micr$oft rip off machine. This gen has been the biggest disappointment ever many ip's I used to like were turned in to crap the hand holding that follows all the way to the end of the game is lame, Games that are aimed at everyone and suck so bad games that are so full of bugs you better be on the net or you just bought a steaming pile of broken turd. DLC lol glad so many people thought hey it's only $15 for 4 tiny maps some ass made in a day is well worth it, now we get DLC for everything and what the fk is up with gamer score / trophy's how retarded you can now pay for the content you used to unlock by playing the game but hey we will give you these useless points instead. However I will stick with Nintendo as they don't do half assed cash grabs with their ip's.

Yes, but only if they support 100% backwards compatibility with the current gen.

For example, I will have no problem if I get a Nextbox, and my friend holds off for a while until he can afford it, then I put Halo 4 into my Nextbox as does he in his 360 and we can chat cross-console and play together.

No problem there at all, if that is not possible, I will not be happy.

Absolutely.

I'm actually completely against the release of new generation consoles as I don't think technology has evolved enough to warrant a change.

That said, I'm a gamer. There is no way I'll have the willpower to completely avoid the next 5-10 years of console gaming because I don't think it's time to move on.

I'll inevitably buy at least one of the consoles. Likely sometime after a significant price drop in year 2, 3, or 4 of the cycle. I'm completely open to any console at this point albeit hesitant on Microsoft's console stability in the next generation.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked