Am I a bad gamer?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

you could argue that there is no "wrong" way to play/enjoy games..as with most things

but this thourght acured to me...at some point while playing ME3

1. most people say that games thease days are too easy..while I can sort of see that...I still dont often breeze through without some difficulty..in fact I know if Im doing well then the game is probably rediculously easy...:/

2. I wont touch a game if it doesnt have anything resembling story...for me..thats a deal breaker...it doesnt matter if the game has the most amazing gameplay EVER if it doesnt have a story then theres no drving motivation to stick with it (well...granted I'll probably play it for a few hours, but I wont stick with it)

an example is Skyrim....in theory I should LOVE that game..what isnt there to love? hours upon hours of content and things to do..an amazing world ot explore...from a gameplay perepective its amazing right?

but all that simply doesnt matter..I can play for hours and have fun....but I just got bored, Imean level up and grind and all those other things in games...but theres just no motivation in skyrim , theres a story...but your encouraged to ignore it, it doenst draw you in

mabye Im a terribly uncreative person for not "making it up" myself..but yeah (and no this wasnt just to rant about skyrim...its just an example of how being an amazing "game" in of itself doesnt seem enough for me

3. multiplayer- thats just pure gameplay.....and I as I said before..play a few hours..get bored...move on, in fact the only multiplayer game to ever draw me in is ME3 (haha...yeah go figure)

4. cutscenes- I LIKE cutscenes, they are somthing to look forward too (not games that over do it though...*cough*yakuza*cough*) Saints row 2, Red dead redemption, Deus Ex..whatever you would call Mass effect...they all add somthing to the game (for me) and no..I dont get annoyed at them

5.. I enjoy games stories...somtimes more than the actual game itself (Dragon age) does that make be both a bad gamer AND a terrible judge at what makes a good story?

soo..yeah...mabye since my first leap into this current generation was playing Bioshock...it kind of set the standard of what want and enjoy in games (I played the whole thing on easy..ti was my first time playing a FPS)

EDIT: also..while I mentioned ME3 I havnt actually finished it..so no spoilers please..jsut in cae

Even if all that did make you a bad gamer, why does it matter?

There is no "Gaming Police" that's going to come to your house and arrest you.

And if you're playing mostly single player games then you aren't annoying anyone.

ChupathingyX:

And if you're playing mostly single player games then you aren't annoying anyone.

well..it just kind makes me think of the "direction" alot of people belive games are going in

"guided tours" that sacrfice gameplay for set peices and specticle

and it seems that parts of that..I don't really have a problem with, unlike say "old" style gamers who do have a problem..,(well on your on the internet, youve seen it yourslef)

i can agree that i live cutscenes too. imo they are a good part of the game. but whenever theres no story i make one myself. to each his own, i usually dont like multiplayer too,with few exceptions, but thats not gameplay, thats the people i play with that drew me in. i like when game has a story, but i can also make my own stories when necessary. nothing imaginative, but setting my own goals happen very often.

Don't you go worrying about anything the hardcore crowd may say. They're bitter, angry souls who could have their every whim catered to and STILL be deeply unhappy.

If you want a game with a tight narrative that's either not too taxing or at least has several difficulty levels, then that's aaaaall good. I rather like them myself (but I also like Skyrim, competitive Starcraft, WoW etc. I'm just a man of MANY tastes).

A bad gamer? ... not in my definition of it. You can find bad gamers screaming useless drivel into your ear on XboxLive & PSN in all sorts of games. Judging games and stories is more personal preference than anything. There are no set rules.

It's rubbish that games are "easier" now. There are some games that do hold your hand too much but most games aren't that bad. The difference between games now and back in the old days is that games are fairer now. Games have far less cheap deaths etc. and ploys to make you pay more to the arcade cabinets.

The rest of your points are basically about the same thing it seems. There's nothing wrong with enjoying a narrative in a game. I usually don't play multiplayer for the same reason as you. Very rarely do I spend that long on it in any game since it seems to pointless and repetitive to me. Just doing the same simple thing over and over again towards no end. The only time I spend an extended amount of time in multiplayer it's when I have several friends who all play it too. And it's usually something co-operative too.

You're just a gamer who enjoys narrative and doesn't have a masochistic fascination with "challenge" for the sake of it.

Vault101:

ChupathingyX:

well..it just kind makes me think of the "direction" alot of people belive games are going in

and it seems that parts of that..I don't really have a problem with, unlike say "old" style gamers who do have a problem..,(well on your on the internet, youve seen it yourslef)

Ahhh, that's what you mean.

You feel guilty that you're buying games that you believe will encourage developers to keep doing what they're doing, something that a lot of other gamers despise (flashy events, easy difficulty, action etc.).

Like I said, don't, there is no police that is going to persecute you for this.

Although those "type" of games do seem to be the most well known and successful, there are niche markets all over the place and there's usually always some developer working on something that will interest those people.

I see a lot of people complain about the lack of old-school RPGs, well look at the recent Wasteland 2 kickstarter project, that's made some people happy and maybe if it succeeds it will inspire more like it.

You can never have total balance and there will always be someone who doesn't get exactly what they want.
----
Hmmm, I think that sounded a little too preachy.

Vault101:

an example is Skyrim....in theory I should LOVE that game..what isnt there to love? hours upon hours of content and things to do..an amazing world ot explore...from a gameplay perepective its amazing right?

but all that simply doesnt matter..I can play for hours and have fun....but I just got bored, Imean level up and grind and all those other things in games...but theres just no motivation in skyrim , theres a story...but your encouraged to ignore it, it doenst draw you in

mabye Im a terribly uncreative person for not "making it up" myself..but yeah (and no this wasnt just to rant about skyrim...its just an example of how being an amazing "game" in of itself doesnt seem enough for me

I know what you mean about this: The world the game is trying to present is one of paranoia and fear as a civil-war rages and, Dragons return from Oblivion-knows where. The mood of the people you meet though, doesn't reflect that in any way conceivable. Neither side cares about the other (I chose Imperial and not once did a Stormcloak try to kill me for it without me kicking his shins first). The only time you get a reaction out of people is when a Dragon descends onto their village which is seldom in most towns (although there's that one town that seems to attract dragons...for me at least).

---

I have a tendency to start a lot of games and end up finishing few if any. I'm just getting to Windia in Mystic Quest and will likely beat that game within a week or two. However, there's still Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus Uprising and, Red Faction Guerrilla which I've started and am going nowhere with (arguably I've already beaten MK7 since I've got the gold in 50, 100 and, 150cc tracks...still have mirror to do of course)

Also I play my games on easy and have used game guides and, walkthroughs to beat some games. Zelda and, Zelda 2 for example I literally played on my 3DS in front of a Zelda site to cheat my way through the puzzles and confusing areas (like Death Mountain).

Shoggoth2588:
[quote="Vault101" post="9.360790.14193676"]

).

I guess thats why I prefer things to be "tighter" rather than open world (personal preference is all)

like Mass effect 3 is the polar oposite in terms of overall aproach...but there is a war on and it goddamn feels like it (the ransom background chatter repeats itselfsure..but its less distracting that the crazy stuff other NPC's have said)

speaking of which

but yeah...Skyrim had always annoyed me because i cant love it like everyone else..ususally if a game is hugly praised Ill like it...not in this case

though I think fallout:NV did pretty well to hace somthing almost on the scale of oblvion/fallout3 yet also things felt more consistant

First , why do you care ? Are you having fun? That's all that matters . There's no such thing as a good gamer or a bad gamer . You like your games one way and others like it a different way . It would be unrealistic to imagine eveyones plays the same way and likes the same things .

Amarok:
Don't you go worrying about anything the hardcore crowd may say. They're bitter, angry souls who could have their every whim catered to and STILL be deeply unhappy.

If you want a game with a tight narrative that's either not too taxing or at least has several difficulty levels, then that's aaaaall good. I rather like them myself (but I also like Skyrim, competitive Starcraft, WoW etc. I'm just a man of MANY tastes).

Ouch, that's harsh and unprovocked. Andwho are these "hardcore gamers " you speak of? What is the criteria to being a hardcore gamer? Just wanna know if i'm part of the bitter souless crown because most of my tastes are almost exacly the opposite of OP.

OT: no you aren't a bad gamer , there is no such thing . Unless you mean that you are litterally bad at video games , which is possible . Of if you want to use terms like the nice man i quoted used . Maybe you are a Good casual gamer. Glass half full?

Whut?

Seriously? You're actually asking that? Like, sincerely? You're not making some kind of point?

Well, as it happens, yes, you are a bad gamer. You're part of the problem, you're single-handedly ruining gaming (forever) with your heathen ways, you're a one-man plague on the medium, you're the reason we can't have nice things and in case it isn't obvious I'm being sarcastic and that sounded much funnier in my head.

Coming up next, why reading history instead of fiction makes you a bad reader.

PS. I only just figured out who/what your avatar is.

Zhukov:

Whut?

Seriously? You're actually asking that? Like, sincerely? You're not making some kind of point?

Well, as it happens, yes, you are a bad gamer. You're part of the problem, you're single-handedly ruining gaming (forever) with your heathen ways, you're a one-man plague on the medium, you're the reason we can't have nice things and in case it isn't obvious I'm being sarcastic and that sounded much funnier in my head.

Coming up next, why reading history instead of fiction makes you a bad reader.

PS. I only just figured out who/what your avatar is.

eh..Im nto really "asking" aything

but as I said earlyer, its like when people (even yahtzee) point out th e"bad things" in this generation...somtimes they are things I actually like/enjoy

which meakes me wonder..is all
and could yahtzee be *gasp* NOT the absolute gospel truth?...hmmmm

PS: I would have thourght "pop'n the heatsink" was a dead give away :P

Vault101:

Not all "old style" gamers think like that.

I've been a gamer since the Atari 2600 wayyyy back before the internet and mobile phones (and most of us still had black and white TV's, and Betamax).

Now I love a story driven game.

I prefer story driven games.

My only point with cut scenes is I like them to move the story on. Some games just have cut scenes for the sake of having them (MGS4 has a lot that don't need to be there).

I'm not that big on multiplayer games. I dislike all the copy pasta FPS games.

As for being a "bad gamer", I didn't realise there was a ruleset to follow that makes people good or bad gamers. It's entertainment. As long as you have fun then who gives a frack?

Vault101:

Zhukov:
[snip]

eh..Im nto really "asking" aything

but as I said earlyer, its like when people (even yahtzee) point out th e"bad things" in this generation...somtimes they are things I actually like/enjoy

which meakes me wonder..is all
and could yahtzee be *gasp* NOT the absolute gospel truth?...hmmmm

PS: I would have thourght "pop'n the heatsink" was a dead give away :P

One thing to remember with Yahtzee is that the guy plays at least one new game every single week.

Doing that would make one a lot more sensitive to trends and cause one to get sick of them a lot faster.

krazykidd:

Amarok:

Ouch, that's harsh and unprovocked. Andwho are these "hardcore gamers " you speak of? What is the criteria to being a hardcore gamer? Just wanna know if i'm part of the bitter souless crown because most of my tastes are almost exacly the opposite of OP.

Ha, sorry, I didn't mean it quite so harshly :)

I'm referring to the sort who take it upon themselves to get angry and upset when games like Angry Birds sell well, or when World of Warcraft provides easier difficulties for raids, or when an RPG series shaves off a superfluous stat or two with its next installment, or when anything happens ever at any point no matter what. You see them around, and they're a scary lot. I think these are the kinds of people the OP might feel he's being damned by.

And I'm sure you're not one of them - I should have put my initial usage of hardcore in quotation marks like you did because "hardcore" is indeed a bit of a myth which everyone defines differently. I wouldn't damn anyone for having any sort of taste, but there are some who foam at the mouth for almost no reason. Not so much on this site, but they're there!

Yes. You suck ass at games. You are the guy who makes sure my team looses by sucking ass while I rape face. You are the guy who made sure all Bioware games became casual pieces of shit. You are the guy who enjoys this hand holding, tightly scripted bullshit and ruins it for the rest of us. You suck at video games.

Well, you did ask. Theres my honest answer. But you know what? All of that is perfectly fine. Play what you want, enjoy what you want. Just stay away from titles like Total War, please.

EDIT: Also the gameplay in Skyrim is not great. So yeah. No need to feel weird about that one.

Amarok:

Doesn't one get the feeling that such people have forgotten that games are to be played for fun?

That they're a luxurious entertainment?

These sorts of things need to stop rising toward the status quo of the video game "fandom" community.

Forget the "/v/" thing. This is basically what the internet community is becoming/has become in general. We are monsters, I say.

But ignore me. Playing the right games properly will get you far in life. If you feel peer pressure, it means you're still a weirdo and you haven't caved in enough. Feel regret for what you have done and conform immediately.

Make sure, whatever you do, don't be this guy.

This guy plays video games. What a jerk.

Everybody starts off as a bad gamer, Remember playing games as a child? I can complete games I played back then in under an hour, while back then it would of taken me months. Snd it's said that you need 10,000 hours at least of practise before you become an expert at something. Perhaps you got some real life grinding to do!

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Yes. You suck ass at games. You are the guy who makes sure my team looses by sucking ass while I rape face. You are the guy who made sure all Bioware games became casual pieces of shit. You are the guy who enjoys this hand holding, tightly scripted bullshit and ruins it for the rest of us. You suck at video games.

Well, you did ask. Theres my honest answer. But you know what? All of that is perfectly fine. Play what you want, enjoy what you want. Just stay away from titles like Total War, please.

EDIT: Also the gameplay in Skyrim is not great. So yeah. No need to feel weird about that one.

1. actually Im not that bad at multiplayer (ME3 multiplayer, since thats the only one I play regualry)

2. "casual" is what Id call angry birds...as for the econd part I probabyl shouldnt go there..I know better

All you have to do is ask yourself if you're having fun. That's the most important point. You could be playing seriously or you could be stealing all the couches from the board room with the strength augment and putting them in your office. You can play for the story or you can just enjoying blowing dudes heads off. hell you can play the game by putting it in your console of choice or you can shove it up your nose. It doesn't matter as long as your enjoying yourself. So don't worry too much about it.

Vault101:
snip

We share the same interests in games and how they play.

I to only play games for the story and get bored of games that discourage the main questline.

And I love cinematics, sometimes I don't feel like playing and watch as the story unfolds!

I'd hardly say the good thing about TES games are the gameplay mechanics as I find block, slash, slash to be infinitely less engaging than turn based combat such as in games like Chess but that is more a preference.

Also no that does not make you a bad gamer it could just mean you are unskilled in certain areas. The only thing that has annoyed me about this gen is that while games normal settings have been getting easier there has been no way scale the difficulty up to an acceptable level for the person. I think we could call them difficulty settings. Sadly, they don't exist or are badly implemented and don't give the "challenge" of bygone days that some people(me among others) want.

That and the cutting of "superfluous" stats from RPGs to make them more "accessible" which to be quite on honest is bullshit. While people may be dumb a person is smart and is well able to play a game like Morrowind with all of its extra stats like Mysticism, Medium armour, Spears, Shuriken, Darts, etc. God forbid there's a bit of variety if you choose to use it.

Dude.... if that's what's classified as a bad gamer, then I'm a bad gamer too.

I'm one of those guys who has an idealistic view of an awesome story/gameplay hybrid, but I'll usually take a good story over crappy gameplay. (The KOTOR series is a good example for that).

I disagree only with one thing, muliplayer, but I'm a picky multiplayer-player because I only do couch/party multiplayer where people I'm with are actually in the room (this is why I love smash brothers)

Nothing wrong at all with liking a good story and even cutscenes. From what I see the "bad gamers" who enjoy generic brown FPS map packs are the ones in a majority.

But then again, I liked Sonic Adventure 2 and Fire Emblem...

You're bad and you should feel bad.

Nah, who cares? Do you enjoy the way you play games? If so carry on.

No, but I certainly think it's odd. Gameplay is the core engagement of games and I think a game can be compelling without story elements, although I do tend to seek them out if they are available. The fact is that writing and plot in the majority of games fucking sucks. Playing games primarily for the story is like going to 4chan for the intellectual discussion.

Yes.

*actually reads thread now*

Vault101:
1. most people say that games thease days are too easy..while I can sort of see that...I still dont often breeze through without some difficulty..in fact I know if Im doing well then the game is probably rediculously easy...:/

This is sort of an aside, but a lot of people are bitching about Kingdoms of Amalur being too easy and how they cakewalked through it. That's awesome, except for the fact that only 5% of the gamers (as of a couple weeks ago) had beat the game on hard.

I'm always skeptical about claims that a game is "too easy."

But there's something resembling story. However:

You shouldn't be forced to make your own entertainment within a GAME.

3. multiplayer- thats just pure gameplay.....and I as I said before..play a few hours..get bored...move on, in fact the only multiplayer game to ever draw me in is ME3 (haha...yeah go figure)

Not everyone likes multiplayer.

4. cutscenes- I LIKE cutscenes, they are somthing to look forward too (not games that over do it though...*cough*yakuza*cough*) Saints row 2, Red dead redemption, Deus Ex..whatever you would call Mass effect...they all add somthing to the game (for me) and no..I dont get annoyed at them

Not a problem.

5.. I enjoy games stories...somtimes more than the actual game itself (Dragon age) does that make be both a bad gamer AND a terrible judge at what makes a good story?

It's...Multimedia?

Vault101:
1. actually Im not that bad at multiplayer (ME3 multiplayer, since thats the only one I play regualry)

No wonder, its easy as fuck. I'm pretty sure they tested the difficulty on monkeys, then decided it was not easy enough.

No, your not a bad gamer. Trust me, you have more of a clue than most people.

manic_depressive13:
No, but I certainly think it's odd. Gameplay is the core engagement of games and I think a game can be compelling without story elements, although I do tend to seek them out if they are available. The fact is that writing and plot in the majority of games fucking sucks. Playing games primarily for the story is like going to 4chan for the intellectual discussion.

Its not like I dont like playing games...a game that can get the story/gameplay right is a special thing indeed (Mass effect being my absolute favorite)

its just story is more like a motivational thing than the ONLY reason

Bad gamer? No.

I'd kick you out of a lobby in a heartbeat, but that's not because I couldn't like you personally, or because I'm angry or bitter. I just need completely the opposite from my team members- and my opponents- in order to enjoy the dwindling list of games that hardcore gamers have to choose from.

And that dwindling list `is` because of the absolutely massive, teeming crowd of people like you. But I can't blame you for spending your money on the stuff you like instead of the stuff I like.

It's fine to be whatever you are by nature.

Yes, you are a pox to all gaming, as should trade in your consoles and games, and use the money to donate to child's play. There is one reason, and one reason only the industry is failing, and you are the type of person responsible.

Either that, or you could just be someone who experiences games different than what is popular in some cases, who has a skill level not nessiarily standard (good or bad) and still plays the games despite it. So, yeah, you are normal. Huh.

Doesn't matter, if that is what you need to enjoy a game then play games you enjoy.
It's like alcohol for me. I don't drink beer because I don't think it has taste, my friends drink to get drunk, I drink alcohol for the taste (mixtures) and to get a little tipsy, that's it.

Candidus:
Bad gamer? No.

I'd kick you out of a lobby in a heartbeat, but that's not because I couldn't like you personally, or because I'm angry or bitter. I just need completely the opposite from my team members- and my opponents- in order to enjoy the dwindling list of games that hardcore gamers have to choose from.

Im not entrily sure what you mean, because I wouldnt be good enough at the game?...as I said I only have one game for reference (ME3...as some guy said was "easy as fuck" so I dont know)

but if I did actually find a game with multiplayer i liked ot enough to stick with...I wouldnt be bad enough to warent a lobby kicking

Amarok:
They're bitter, angry souls who could have their every whim catered to and STILL be deeply unhappy.

Congratulations, you just described 80% of the people who complain about the final installment of anything, be it book, game or movie, 65% of people who see a remake, Zeel, and 95% of people who complain about something over the internet.

OT: Hey that's just how you like to play, nothing wrong with that. Don't worry about "uncreative" because you don't make up your own stories, that's not an expected thing. As for difficulty, well they have different difficulty levels for a reason. You're never a "bad" gamer until you single handedly make your online team lose so bad you a unanimously avoided (impressive considering no one uses that). And it doesn't count when they are over reactive punks who scream your head off for missing one shot.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked