Would you buy a nextgen console if it banned used games but had exclusives?
Yes
23.1% (64)
23.1% (64)
No
45.5% (126)
45.5% (126)
Never Going to Happen
30% (83)
30% (83)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: What if PS4/Xbox 720 banned used games but had an exclusive on your favorite franchise?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

As I'm sure many people have mentioned, it doesn't make sense for MS/Sony to ban used games from next gen consoles when their rival could cap them in the knee by not doing so... but what if Microsoft or Sony got promises from publishers that *insert your favorite franchise/developer* would be exclusive to their console in exchange for getting rid used games? Would that change your mind if you weren't planning to buy one? Is this even a plausible scenario?

And before you mention that publishers could lose sales from the other console/PC's, they already delay PC release dates frequently, do crappy port jobs anyway, are constantly complaining about PC piracy and a coalition of popular franchises (e.g. COD, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Sports games, etc.) could strongly tip the scale in favor of their partner console and make up for sales that way.

Elder Scrolls/Fallout would NOT go console only.

They have a massive PC user base (welcome to the modding community) and that would cost them massively.

I'm not buying a next gen console either way.

The only franchises I have any vested interest in are those 2 and that's mainly because I am a modder.

I really couldn't care if anything else went console only. I miss out on 360 only franchises now and have no interest in playing them.

My PS3 was only recently purchased and that was a present for my wife when I got out of hospital and couldn't sit at my PC desk.

I've managed all these years with my PC only and if it wasn't for those daft bloody cats getting under y feet and tripping me down the bloody stairs I wouldn't have had a console at all.

I've got zero interest in a "next gen" console.

To be fair, if the gaming industry keeps going down the road it's on (DLC, online passes, DRM and other shit we didn't have years ago) then i'll be looking for a new hobby entirely.

I really do enjoy gaming but it's starting to cost more money than it's worth.

why pay nearly 500 dollars for a new console when I can upgrade my pc for 100 dollars or less?

Too many problems with consoles anyway.

Red Ring, Yellow Light, ApocalyPS3, and broken TV (wii)

Never going to happen. The only Sony exclusive I really cared about was Twisted Metal and the only Microsoft exclusives I care at all about were Fable and Halo. Twisted Metal was fun while it lasted but to put into perspective how important that series is to me, the only one I owned was the original. As for Fable, the last one I liked was the 2nd. As for Halo, I don't play multiplayer so about 50% of the content is lost to me.

I've been won back by Nintendo recently to be honest and they're the only ones with exclusives at this point really. Sonic, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, Katamari...these were once exclusive but not so much anymore. The only exclusives I care about are going to be on the next Nintendo console so that's where I'll be. And just to douse myself in some finely aged fuel, I'm having a lot of fun with Other M!

No. They make a console exclusive? thats a sale lost right there, say goodbye to my money.

By adding "Never Gonna happen", you just killed your own poll. The only people who think that this is actually going to happen are the ones wearing tin foil on their head to make sure that the government can't steal their thoughts. Whichever company wants to bow out of the console race without looking like they're bowing out can do this and leave the race without looking like it's letting the other guy win.

But let's say that it does happen...

Yes, I still would. It is very rare that I purchase used game and I really wouldn't care that much if the used game market got shot down.

EDIT: I stand corrected. "Never gonna happen" won't kill this; Console v. PC people having a pissing contest below will.

Rawne1980:

They have a massive PC user base (welcome to the modding community) and that would cost them massively.

The thing is the PC user base has already been dwarfed by the console one for both of those games. They could easily make them console exclusive and not suffer all that much. Sure they would loose some sales but they would make up part of them because a lot of PC users would just buy the game for a console.

Some of my favourite franchises are exclusive to the PC, but it's lack of used games hasn't stopped me enjoying them.

Then again, it wouldn't because I don't by used console games out of principle, so it doesn't make any difference to me if the next generation of consoles treats games like the PC already does.

Just the WiiU for me.

Das Boot:

Rawne1980:

The thing is the PC user base has already been dwarfed by the console one for both of those games. They could easily make them console exclusive and not suffer all that much. Sure they would loose some sales but they would make up part of them because a lot of PC users would just buy the game for a console.

But they lose the modding community which is quite a large part of it.

The modding guys number in the thousands so it isn't a few hundred sales they lose out on it's a massive chunk.

Going exclusive would damage their profits no matter what way you look at it.

Plus Bathesda actively encourages modding which is a large part of it's appeal.

The only reason some of us buy those games is purely to make and use mods for. I own none of them on console and never would consider buying them on console.

There are quite a few folks out there that aren't interested in consoles at all nevermind next gen ones.

Rawne1980:

The modding guys number in the thousands so it isn't a few hundred sales they lose out on it's a massive chunk.

The only reason some of us buy those games is purely to make and use mods for. I own none of them on console and never would consider buying them on console.

There are quite a few folks out there that aren't interested in consoles at all nevermind next gen ones.

The thing is the modding community is only a tiny portion of their sales. They are obviously never going to actually go exclusive but if they wanted to they could and would still be just fine. Yea they would loose some sales but not nearly as many as you seem to think.

Rawne1980:

Das Boot:

Rawne1980:

This thread isn't for your PC superiority complex. No one cares.

Cridhe:

What are you babbling about?

I'm saying they won't go console only, it has nothing to do with PC superiority.

I was putting a reason behind why it wouldn't sell as many copies and you chime in with a pathetic insult.

Why I even waste my time replying to you I don't know but there we go.

Das Boot:

The thing is the modding community is only a tiny portion of their sales. They are obviously never going to actually go exclusive but if they wanted to they could and would still be just fine. Yea they would loose some sales but not nearly as many as you seem to think.

It might only be a "tiny portion" but it still numbers in the thousands.

Whichever way you look at it it's still lost income.

A lot of games can, and do, go console exclusive or PC exclusive and do quite well. Piracy is less rampant on consoles so more sales can be had (if you discount used). I'm not saying consoles are completely pirate free, we all know someone with a "chipped" box (or however they do it now, I only remember seeing chipped PS2's).

But quite a few other "exclusives" end up worming their way over anyway. Crysis, Dark Souls (I believe i've heard that's on it's way to PC) and The Witcher 2 to name but 3 that were exclusive at one point.

However others remain exclusive.

If current franchises were to go exclusive in the next gen, and it is fair to assume some might do, then it depends how much people are willing to support the console of their choice.

I have a feeling they are going to cost a kidney on the black market though.

Rawne1980:

Cridhe:

What are you babbling about?

I'm saying they won't go console only, it has nothing to do with PC superiority.

I was putting a reason behind why it wouldn't sell as many copies and you chime in with a pathetic insult.

Why I even waste my time replying to you I don't know but there we go.

And still, no one cares. Go to a PC gaming thread.

Das Boot:
lot of PC users would just buy the game for a console.

No. No they wouldn't. I'd rather have no product at all than a horribly, horribly, horribly, horribly, horribly inferior one.

I'd just replay Skyrim, with all the beautiful mods. Hopefully a Game of Thrones total conversion mod even.

Frostbite3789:

Das Boot:
lot of PC users would just buy the game for a console.

No. No they wouldn't. I'd rather have no product at all than a horribly, horribly, horribly, horribly, horribly inferior one.

I'd just replay Skyrim, with all the beautiful mods. Hopefully a Game of Thrones total conversion mod even.

I think you seem to be forgetting that you are one person.

Lagao:
why pay nearly 500 dollars for a new console when I can upgrade my pc for 100 dollars or less?

I generally agree with your argument, but a PC can have LOOOOOADS more problem than consoles do, however the payoff is loads better.

Of course I would.

I haven't bought used game since I found out that all the money from used game sales goes to the retailer, none to the developer or publisher. I won't support an industry like that, especially when some retailers (hi GAME! I'm glad you're dead!) were still charging full price for used games.

And let's no one kid ourselves either. How many of you said you'd be Sony til you died, but now own an XBox or 360? How many said Nintendo had 'lost your sale forever' but now own a Wii and all the rereleases of the Mario and Zelda games? Gamers are a predictable breed, and if we didn't let the big companies do stuff like this then they wouldn't keep doing it. But we do, so they do.

Nope. Been gaming on Sony platforms pretty much since I started gaming (though I'm more into PC nowadays), but if they pulled this crap then they will have crossed a line, and I won't indulge them.

Lagao:

How much did your PC cost originally, how many times have you upgraded it?

Because I bought one console for 200 and have never had to upgrade it and it's been serving me well for nearly five years. Even if you bought a computer for 100 and upgraded it twice for a further 100 (which won't be true) then I'm 100 pounds better off than you, and I've still been able to play almost all the games you have.

Even using your numbers, let's try this.

1 new console: $499 (based on PS3 release date price)
Lifetime: 5-7 years (approx, I'm also still able to play a 15 year old PS1 and a 10 year old PS2 and XBox)
Upgrades: 0

1 new reasonably priced desktop computer: $439 (ooh! $70!)
Lifetime: 10 years (approx, depending on Operating System, I usually buy a new laptop every 5 years, and we replaced our family desktop about that often as well because it couldn't work with whatever new system came out)
Upgrades: New top of the range graphics card: $337
New top of the range sound card: $60
Extra memory capacity at (roughly) two year intervals (based on a quick forum trawl on a PC Gaming forum): $25

Total price after two years ownership: $861

Anything I forgot?

So, the XBox 720 gets Halo exclusively?
I see no benefit.
Or it gets Elder Scrolls?
Well fuck that, I want to mod it.

Count me out on the next generation of consoles anyway. I just don't see enough technical jumps to really justify making another increasingly expensive console purchase just yet. If I were to grab a new console, it better impress the crap out of me, and not just be the same deal with sharper graphics.

Considering I like to buy three to ten year old games that I missed when they first came out, of course I wouldn't. I don't buy used unless the game's price has dropped by more than ten dollars since a new copy will be less likely to have issues, but not letting me buy used at all when old games aren't reliably available otherwise (at least not on console without resorting to piracy) and us being in the age of DRM / "we can take away your legally paid for sixty-dollar game whenever, especially if it's not a physical copy" would automatically ruin any chances of me getting that system.

Das Boot:

Rawne1980:

1. A lot of PC gamers dont have a console.
2. Reason for retail salesnumbers being higher is because... Its apparently not fkin obvious for those who show the total-sales that most of their sales is from digital distribution. I would say that PC-sales in terms of Skyrim is around equal to that of consoles.

I'm probably going to end up buying a 720 anyway. I'll be buggered if I give into pc gaming.

Microsoft already has my favorite franchise (Halo) so yeah, I guess.

MelasZepheos:

Lagao:

Because I bought one console for 200 and have never had to upgrade it and it's been serving me well for nearly five years. Even if you bought a computer for 100 and upgraded it twice for a further 100 (which won't be true) then I'm 100 pounds better off than you, and I've still been able to play almost all the games you have.

Lifetime: 5-7 years (approx, I'm also still able to play a 15 year old PS1 and a 10 year old PS2 and XBox)

Lifetime: 10 years (approx, depending on Operating System, I usually buy a new laptop every 5 years, and we replaced our family desktop about that often as well because it couldn't work with whatever new system came out)
Extra memory capacity at (roughly) two year intervals (based on a quick forum trawl on a PC Gaming forum): $25

Anything I forgot?

I think you forgot that a 5-7 year lifespan on a modern console system is a very high estimate. My 360 is on it's 5th year now, but I use it maybe once a month or so. I played the crap out of my PS3 (10-15 hours a week or so) and it burned out before the 2 year mark, so then it's more cash for a new one plus some lost data.

My last laptop has lasted me 6 years and counting, and though the graphics need to be turned down on modern pc games, it can still play them without any hardware modifications. Add that to the sheer amount of productivity you can accomplish on a PC (Even if built just for games) and I'd say that $861 is well worth the cost, even using your overly skewed numbers.

MelasZepheos:

Lagao:

Anything I forgot?

You forget the fact that most people already own a PC in the first place. The average person doesn't build a gaming rig, they just play off of their home PC. A $100-200 video card is all most people need in order to be able to play the majority of games. And when the next generation rolls around, most people won't bother upgrading until the point where they're no longer able to play a game on their PC, at which point they can upgrade to last-years vid card for, again, $100-200. Whereas the next gen consoles are no doubt going to cost around $300-400, meaning that, even if you only started playing video games this generation, and bought a console at $200, when the next generation rolls out, you will have paid much more on hardware you bought just for gaming.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, as long as it doesn't lead to good games dropping off the face of the market completely. I might even encourage it. Of course there could/should also be an option to pay a fee in order to make used games playable for a new owner.

Sony? Yes. Microsoft/Nintendo? No. Well, maybe if Nintendo puts out a new handheld and has a pokemon game that cannot be emulated then yes when the price drops. Sony just holds all my favorites as exclusives anyways. Naughty Dog is owned by SCEA.

I probably would stick to the PC, but, as far as my console experience goes, I've never bought used anyway.

I own a 360 but I've shifted over to PC gaming which is just superior in every way. Apart from the occasional screw over by bad ports or delayed release dates. Many more PC exclusives out there.

When I did use my 360 though I never bought used games. I always preferred buying new so banning used wouldn't of affected my choice to buy. However irrelevant now :D

Cridhe:
Just the WiiU for me.

This.

This gen has put me off Sony and I don't care about MS. This gen I will game mostly on my PC and will most likely buy a WiiU and will keep playing my 3DS.

since i would buy a ps4/nextbox even if the banned used games (and actually hope they do), this question is kind of moot. i play most my games on PC, and there haven't been used PC games in quite a while. it's easily the most logical step for sony and MS to take.

Used games aren't going anywhere for a while. Microsoft and Sony won't be getting rid of them until they go all digital and that won't happen for some time yet. That being said if used games were banned I'd be done.

I buy almost exclusively used games as they simply provide a better buying experience. I don't like a used game and I can take it back. I save 10% on all my used purchases. I get points I can trade in for things like buy 2 get 1 free coupons and other more tangible rewards. Hell often times the people at Gamestop will run me off one of the multiplayer codes or things like the Catwoman code for Arkham City for free if I remember to ask when I get a game that strips features off used games.

What do I get for buying new? Fuck all that's what. I'm stuck with the game unless I want to trade it in for a fraction of what I paid for it or bugger around moving it on craigslist. New games are a scam through and through.

I'll take the cheaper product I can return no questions asked over a more expensive product I'm stuck with. Sure you can argue that the money is going to the developer or publisher but ya know what? I don't give a fuck where the money goes. My money is going to whoever is giving me the best value for it and it's not the people trying to move the new games.

If new game sellers want my money then they need to provide me some value for it. Simply removing used games from the equation won't make me start buying new. I can promise that if they would ban used games they still wouldn't get my money and I'd still find a way to play their games . . . . through totally legal means of course, honest! XD

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked