ME3: Why do the reapers all look the same?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I finished the game yesterday and this has been bugging me more than the ending, which opened up far to many questions anyway.

Throughout the second game, we eventually find out that the reapers are built to look like the race that they're harvested from. However they look the same in almost every encounter. Now while I do realise they wrote in that the reapers standardise the destroyers to cover their backs, that doesn't make sense that during the giant space battles they all looked like giant... cuttlefish or whatever.

Is their a logical explanation for this? Or did organic life decide that being a tentacled fish was the best way to go a couple hundred cycles in a row?

(Also, I apologise if this has come up, but i've been searching through the quite frankly amazing amount of threads and I didn't see this question)

It explains this somewhere in the codex thingy.

The thorn bug/cuttlefish form is like armour or a shell. Inside they presumably all look different.

Of course, the real reason for this is that they just couldn't be arsed coming up with a unique design for each reaper.

The Rule of Cool. Simply put, they originally had either a name or a shape, probably a name. When it came time to put a shape to the name or a name to the shape, someone remember or googled the sepia mestus, aka the reaper cuttlefish. And thus the Reapers were born.It was later noted that the space squids were just chassis for the actual Reapers.

Because they're lazy.

End of Mass Effect 2 there - I see at least 6 different looking Reapers.

In the game we only get 2 types - Sovereign and Destroyers (and Destroyers with Hades Cannon too).

The game was rushed and Bioware was lazy, that's it.

I just figured that the ship design was a shell of some sort, or that they all eventually became ships as to allow space travel.

They look the same to you? You humans are all racist!

But really, the answer is the same answer you can apply to almost any Bioware-related question:

endtherapture:

Kahunaburger:

But really, the answer is the same answer you can apply to almost any Bioware-related question:

endtherapture:

I figured it was mainly EA's fault. Didn't they only get two years to work on this, as opposed to four to five years for the older games?

dreadedcandiru99:

Kahunaburger:

endtherapture:

I figured it was mainly EA's fault. Didn't they only get two years to work on this, as opposed to four to five years for the older games?

I'd say a little of column A, a little of column B.

Now come on, you can't really fault Bioware for this. That's the same as bitching that all the Star Destroyers in Revenge of the Sith were exactly the same.

Only two named Reapers get unique shapes, Sovereign and Harbinger, and this is to designate them as leaders.

Bioware has pulled a lot of crap with this release, but not making the background Reapers entirely different isn't one of them.

Soviet Heavy:
Now come on, you can't really fault Bioware for this. That's the same as bitching that all the Star Destroyers in Revenge of the Sith were exactly the same.

Only two named Reapers get unique shapes, Sovereign and Harbinger, and this is to designate them as leaders.

Bioware has pulled a lot of crap with this release, but not making the background Reapers entirely different isn't one of them.

It kinda makes sense for all Reapers to look the same too. They are machines and think like machines, they have no interest in looking "cool" or "unique". They all go with the one design that gives them the biggest edge in battle.

Because mummy Reaper and daddy Reaper didn't have a TV so did the only entertaining thing they could think of doing.....

thousands of kids and a massive child support bill for daddy later they realised they had created an army so set out to wipe out the galaxy every 50.000 or so years just to give mummy Reaper a break to catch up on her soaps.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Soviet Heavy:

It kinda makes sense for all Reapers to look the same too. They are machines and think like machines, they have no interest in looking "cool" or "unique". They all go with the design that gives them the biggest edge in battle.

Though why "giant space Cuttlefish" was their best tactical solution is beyond me. Must be one of those transcending logic things.

Soviet Heavy:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Soviet Heavy:

It kinda makes sense for all Reapers to look the same too. They are machines and think like machines, they have no interest in looking "cool" or "unique". They all go with the design that gives them the biggest edge in battle.

Though why "giant space Cuttlefish" was their best tactical solution is beyond me. Must be one of those transcending logic things.

Well, just because the reapers have no interest in looking cool does not mean Bioware dont >.>

I dunno man, I am happy with the design of the reapers. If you can call something the smallest concern when looking at the Mass Effect series, its that.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Soviet Heavy:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Well, just because the reapers have no interest in looking cool does not mean Bioware dont >.>

I dunno man, I am happy with the design of the reapers. If you can call something the smallest concern when looking at the Mass Effect series, its that.

Well, they do luck pretty fucking scary when they come at you like an octopus. Having a two kilometer long giant tentacle mass filling up the front windows of your battleship would be scary.

Soviet Heavy:

Ever since Lovecraft, "unfathomable horror beyond mortal comprehension" has always been synonymous with "octopus" for western audiences.

Hal10k:

Soviet Heavy:

Ever since Lovecraft, "unfathomable horror beyond mortal comprehension" has always been synonymous with "octopus" for western audiences.

But Octopuses are so cute!

Because the reapers are based on the previous species they harvested. They look kinda like protheans. Thus, the baby reaper you kill was to look like a human.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Soviet Heavy:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I just figured instead of raging at the ending, which I could well do, I would instead point at something that i've not seen asked much. Its not a point of concern, its more of a case of "wait, something is off with these".

Don't get me wrong, i'm happy with the design, I just didn't understand why they only went with two types.

I mean hell, its not like they even had cold machine logic. They preserved each species allowing them to live on in a weird machinelike form? Why would they design it like the species if logic was involved, that implies that each species holds sentimental value.

I dunno, it doesn't sit right with me.

Yeah, I noticed that, but that didn't bug me, I mean the Human reaper in space would be ridiculous looking lol. Maybe there are multiple of the same type, I mean species have billions of lifeforms sooo

Eh, they probably say the same thing about us.

Zhukov:

The thorn bug/cuttlefish form is like armour or a shell. Inside they presumably all look different.

Of course, the real reason for this is that they just couldn't be arsed coming up with a unique design for each reaper.

yeah, the inside of a reaper looks different depending on what species it was made of. like a turian reaper, an asari, or volus, or prothean. actually, a 2km tall garrus reaper would make my life meaningful.

endtherapture:

I must agree. Not only did they rush the ending, along with being lazy

But the fact that they couldn't bother having characters from ME2 be part of your team in ME3. Like Jack for example- I didn't work hard to save everyone in ME2 just so everyone's a background character to be part of the war but not part of my team. Made me sad overall really. A lot of other things feel rushed but yeah mainly the reaper designs are the same, just they come in two types.

Always thought the scuttlefish exterior hid a cyborg version of the race that has been harvested (think the human reaper from me2). So to see what a reaper really looks like, have to pop open the shell to take a peek.

It's what I've been assuming up to this point anyways.

Who knows.

It might be hard to create Reapers that can also walk about the land and stuff without losing that general vision that we have of them as well.

Might also be they just didn't think about it or think it was that big of a deal to put effort into.

However, the game wasn't rushed. They had one month less of development time compared to ME2. If you read the Final Hours of ME3, you'd see that the development team themselves really got ambitious and overdid themselves.

dreadedcandiru99:

Kahunaburger:

endtherapture:

The previous games had 3 years each (assuming work began on ME2 right after the first was shipped), this had 2 - which isn't really a cut-down considering they have most of their assets in place, what they wanted out of the engine done and dusted, the combat mostly finalised, and no doubt a much larger team accrued by the time they began work on the third.

OT: I'm sure the whole squid-look is a type of armour/uniform/gimp suit. So I imagine the answer's not that much different to why people in military uniforms look much the same; because they didn't call each other beforehand and co-ordinate.

It's perfectly plausible that the Reapers are completely recreated in the centuries before they leave for hibernation and none of the previous cycle's shells remain, but obviously laziness was the key element here.

I was more annoyed at how they insisted on marching around like giant lizards while being bombarded from orbit or fighting land based organisms.

I am Commander Shepard and I approve of this incredibly racist thread.

Frankster:
Always thought the scuttlefish exterior hid a cyborg version of the race that has been harvested (that the human reaper from me2). So to see what a reaper really looks like, have to pop open the shell to take a peek.

It's what I've been assuming up to this point anyways.

Ding.

Recall how big the human reaper was in ME2 (about what, 50', 5 stories tall?), then how big Sovereign was in ME1 (grabbing onto one of the arms of the Citadel).

Resource management. People normally don't give a fuck so why should they bother with needless flourishes. Why don't all the Geth look different? Why over the course of 3 games I have yet to see a FEMALE Turian?

Also they're potentially a combination off the varieties they harvested, features from bits and pieces of each.

Zhukov:

nope.

in mass effect 2, they gave a shit.
see:image
in 3 they didnt

Soviet Heavy:

Hal10k:

Soviet Heavy:

But Octopuses are so cute!

tell that to any japanese schoolgirl in existence of animated japanese media

rhizhim:

Zhukov:

nope.

see:[Bigass image that did weird things to my inbox]
in 3 they didnt

Why are you quoting my posts from nearly a year ago?

Also, having five or six vaguely different looking reapers in a ten second, pre-rendered cutscene is a rather different kettle of fish to designing, modelling and animating dozens of unique reapers throughout an entire game.

Edit: Nevermind, didn't realise that the thread was dead.

Heheh. Rhymes.

Zhukov:

rhizhim:

Zhukov:

nope.

see:[Bigass image that did weird things to my inbox]
in 3 they didnt

Why are you quoting my posts from nearly a year ago?

Also, having five or six vaguely different looking reapers in a ten second, pre-rendered cutscene is a rather different kettle of fish to designing, modelling and animating dozens of unique reapers throughout an entire game.

saw the date of this thread too late. it was for this thread here -> http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.401855-A-question-about-Mass-Effect-3s-ending-spoiler-alert?page=2#16572551
and weird things to your inbox?

still, they could had done it for the sake of the lore instead of comming with an half assed "they are all in power armour" excuse from bioware.
imagine the human reaper fighting in e fetal position inside a stupid squid-like power armour..

Holy hell, am I seriously the only person here who knows about Mass Effect 3: Leviathan? Christ, they literally tell you how the reapers came about and why they look like they do.

I know, dead thread, but seriously you guys.

Professor Lupin Madblood:
Holy hell, am I seriously the only person here who knows about Mass Effect 3: Leviathan? Christ, they literally tell you how the reapers came about and why they look like they do.

I know, dead thread, but seriously you guys.

This was before Leviathan came out.

Seems like pretty important information? Why wasn't it in the main game? Bioware fails again.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked