Why don't you play games on PC?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Now, I know is can be a tricky topic, and I'm hoping that both sides here can try to keep the insults and snobbery to a minimum. I'm not making this thread to start arguments, I'm just wondering.

If you don't play PC games, why? There are so many reasons out there, I just wanna hear some peoples.

In my case it's because I spend enough time on my computer as it is. I do almost all of my work on the computer, being a cartoonist, and I also do the vast majority of my homework on the computer. That, coupled with the time I spend just being on the web, it adds up to quite a bit of computer time. The last thing I personally wanna do is add "the time I spend playing video games" to that list.

There is one PC game I own that I really would like to play again (Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines) but ever since I got my new PC, I haven't been able to run it. So my PC gaming has pretty much come to a complete halt.

Well I've never liked the controls to a PC. I've been a console gamer all my life and the only games that I find I prefer for the PC are RTS's (yes, I hate FPS mouse/keyboard scheme). The mouse/keyboard just doesn't feel like a gaming configuration to me.

Also, the cost. I'm betting I've over-estimated the costs but I just don't want to sink the hundreds of dollars it would take to get my computer to gaming usefulness and sink more money in later to keep it there. One purchase & one device that stays relevant for a decade is what I like.

Not to mention DRM...

tippy2k2:
Well I've never liked the controls to a PC. I've been a console gamer all my life and the only games that I find I prefer for the PC are RTS's (yes, I hate FPS mouse/keyboard scheme). The mouse/keyboard just doesn't feel like a gaming configuration to me.

Also, the cost. I'm betting I've over-estimated the costs but I just don't want to sink the hundreds of dollars it would take to get my computer to gaming usefulness and sink more money in later to keep it there. One purchase & one device that stays relevant for a decade is what I like.

Not to mention DRM...

All of these are precisely the reason I play PC.

1. I prefer the controls - mouse and keyboard is more intuitive for me but I can also plug in a controller if I want.
2. If I want to play on my couch I can just plug in my HDMI cable direct to my TV and enjoy beautiful HD
3. Games are waaay cheaper on PC, both new, and in Steam sales etc.
4. Mods. They add so much pleasure to a game.
5. My laptop (which runs Crysis and The Witcher 2 on high) cost 500. More expensive than a console yes, but I can carry it around, do my uni work on it, Facebook and go on Twitter and forums and Youtube with it, watch DVDs on it, store all my photos and music on it too. It's the ultimate media centre for me.

Can't afford a gaming PC, I don't like keyboard and mouse controls (I know you can use a controller for some games but still), the DRM and I can't be bothered with the hassle of setting it all up etc.

well I do play games on PC but I generally prefer console if its available and is considered equally good or superior than the PC version.

The reason for this is simple I use a PC to work when I sit in front of one I have a work mindset to a lesser or greater degree and that adversely affects my enjoyment of a game as I hate being reminded of work especially if im trying to take my mind off it by playing a game.

- I'm no computer hero, and getting games to work on my PC was sometimes more of a challenge than I'd like.
- I absolutely need a laptop for my work, good laptops for gaming are stupid expensive and I don't want a dedicated gaming PC.
- I use my PC too much already. I don't like using a mouse a lot.
- I want to play from my couch and bed, which doesn't really work with a mouse and keyboard.
- I don't care for mods.
- There are some console exclusives I really must have.

There are some PC games I still play, but most of them are over 5 years old.

Too much to intially invest in considering I already own all three consoles now. Not to mention I hate the mouse and keyboard control scheme? Besides mods, there's no reason for me to invest a grand into a new PC to play games I can play on my PS3 or 360.

Captcha- Get over it.

My PC is also my husbands buisness.
I do his books on there, sort out his accounts, email customers and suppliers from the PC.
Sometimes I just need to get away from it

Oh and my PS3 and xbox are hooked up to a sublime 40" LED, games never looked so good!

I will always look for a PC version of a game first, and go to a console only if I cannot find it, or if it is a console exclusive.

Keyboards I enjoy because of their versatility. I can map the buttons to fit my playstyle better, and I just prefer the feel of the WASD setup.

There's also the benefit of longevity. One of the side effects of the modding community is that they work their asses off to keep old games running on new hardware. So with the rumors that the next console generation will cut out backwards compatibility permanently, that severely limits the games you can play from your back catalog if your 360 dies and you have nowhere else to play your old games.

My PC is currently playing a list of games from 1995 to 2012. That's what I call a good deal for longevity. And with digital backups becoming normal, getting something through Steam or GOG means I have it for good. (Before you say Steam doesn't really let you own your games, Valve has stated many times that they have contingency plans set up to permanently set games to your harddrive if Steam ever dies.)

I prefer having a controller.

I can easily start a game without having to wait for my console to start up everything.

On a console I can't die because my virus scanner opened and decided to minimise my game.

I only recently got a console.

Most of my gaming time is on the PC.

Well I've got an xbox 360 and a PS3 so that's one reason another reason is that my PC is too shit to run games.

Because people are tards and love conveniance and frankly, I can't blame them for that.

Just this weekend I had to help a friend (or acquainted tard) who had problems with his spanking new computer. The problem? He had bought the wrong kind of cables and therefore connected them incorrectly, so the screen wouldn't show him any pretty pictures.

Also, a good PC is damn expensive. I got my Xbox for 100 € and Gears of War 3 looks and runs damn sweet on it. I definitely see why the common man sees a console as more than enough.

Because there're too many great console exclusives to pass on.

I do play mostly on my PC, though.

Have to say, 'becuase I want to use a controller' is not a good reason as you can use every controller known to man on the PC.

I've had a couple of bad experiences with playing games on the PC. The primary ones are that something computer related happens to my PC (it freezes, a background programs starts up randomly, my saved data is missing or misplaced, etc.) and it causes me to avoid playing anything on my computer.

Plus, I have consoles and I haven't had any complains so far.

putowtin:

Oh and my PS3 and xbox are hooked up to a sublime 40" LED, games never looked so good!

Except PC games would look even better than the consoles using the same TV, especially with the higher resolution and other associated graphical marvels.

because I know next to nothing about PCs, pc maintenance or trouble shooting and any benefits to be gained from using one is frankly pretty superficial and not worth it. Shadows of the damned looks amazing on my ps3 already and any improvement that the pc could bring it is superfluous at best.

ph0b0s123:
Have to say, 'becuase I want to use a controller' is not a good reason as you can use every controller known to man on the PC.

I tried to hook up my ps3 controller to my PC and I simply couldn't do it. I looked online for three hours and the best I could do involved outdated software that I would have to pirate.

I just prefer using a controller and I enjoy the exclusives too much. I also like the variety of JRPG games across all three consoles.

Many games that get ported to the PC from home console turn into shit. Yeah I would take a controller over a mouse and keyboard any day. Really don't care that you can purchase controllers for the PC because the only game I wanted to play on there in a long time was StarCraft 2. PC gaming to me will forever be stuck in the 90's for me. Had all my fun back in the 90's with computer games. You know even back then, it could not compete with a Snes.

Strain42:
If you don't play PC games, why?

A few people have probably beaten me to the punch on these, but since you asked:

(1) Because playing a game with an input device originally designed for typing letters rather than game-playing has always been clumsy and awkward, at least to me, and

(2) Because I can't afford to buy a load of new computer parts every time a new game comes out.

That second thing, in particular, is by far the biggest reason I've stuck with consoles: all I have to do is turn them on, put the disk in, and play. I guess I'll have to find a way to afford more PC games, though, if some of the crap I've heard about the next-gen consoles turns out to be true...

Keeping my computer up-to-date enough to play games is just a hassle. With consoles, you know it'll work, no problems.

Plus, not gonna lie, achievements keep me on the xbox cos Im the sort of shallow and low-self-esteem loser who needs little meaningless numbers to give my life some worth.

ph0b0s123:

Not as easily. Consoles are simple, and what's wrong with that? If I want to play a game on my couch with a controller it takes 1 min of setup on a console and well over an hour on my PC. I'll just hit the power button instead of messing with cables, drivers and updates.

I've been brought up on consoles basically. After playing on the Mega Drive, N64 and all the rest, I'm just so used to using controllers to play games. I know you can use controllers on PCs and all that, but I'm just more used to consoles now. However I do play a couple of games on the PC (Football Manager and Civilization). Plus all of my friends are mainly console players (a couple of them play a few games on the PC as well)

Because I have a life out-with computer games and therefore can't justify to myself the cost of a decent gaming PC compared to a console. Especially considering that using a console is a lot easier (since you don't have to worry about things like system specs or incompatable hardware).

I do just not everyone. It kind of depends on the game. Also Steam and Origin they are pretty much the sane program to me, and they both annoy me.

I do mainly, but reasons I move to the console sometimes:

-My internet is shitbathing bollocks, especially if I have to download a game
-Steam still is dependent on credit cards as payment methods
-My computer is an absolute fussbitch when it comes to putting in new RAM
-No splitscreen

tippy2k2:

Agreed. I can safely count myself as both a console and PC gamer, but I tend to play mostly strategy games on PC, and pretty much everything else on 360.

ph0b0s123:

I don't consider having to buy a console controller to play a PC game to be a point for PCs.

At this point in life, consoles are for poors.

I won't hate a man for choosing consoles but will question either his financial situation or his dedication to competitive gaming, because the best competitive games nowadays require a top-tier Internet connection, keyboard and mouse(no controller autoaim gimmicks for YOU!), and hard core of players. Console gaming for friends can be done in a single room, competitive gaming is by definition against anyone out there ready for a democratic knock-down drag-out competitive throwdown with the top tier in the world.

Basically, non-Apple users.

tippy2k2:

Not to mention DRM...

It costs about 70 to make 90% of PC's gaming ready and you make the money "back" due to the reduced cost of games.

Well, I do play PC games. Quite often in fact. Recently got Deus Ex: HR from a steam sale, and I have been having a ball with that. I do own consoles as well, and I do play them quite often. So, I guess you could call me a jack of all trades. XD

I usually play the games that play best on PC on PC, and games that play best on console on console. And of course, exclusives. Both consoles and PCs have oh-so tasty exclusives that I cannot resist having both. XD

EDIT: Wow, a number of my fellow PC gamers are being right asses to the console-exlcusive gamers. Really guys? Is it really that important that you prove them wrong? Man, I don't understand why so many people have a stick up their butt about this...

These threads can always be well summarized with a long "DURRRRRR!"...

It's always different people repeating like the 3-4 same things they believe to be right because they are quite simply misinformed:

- People that think if you play on a PC you gotta use Mouse+Keyboard and somehow can't grasp the idea that you can stick Controllers, Joysticks, Racing Wheels or any other periphery into those USB ports unlike most consoles.
- People repeating how a gaming PC costs anywhere from 3000-10000$
- People that are saying their games look so much better on a TV or play better from a couch without realizing that the cable they are putting into the back of their monitor also goes into the back of a TV.
- People believing that one has to be some sort of rocket scientist for gaming on a PC (more like back in the 80s and 90s), when in reality nowadays it mostly constitutes being able to install Steam (and never even having to worry about physical media or losing games again), if you can manage using a computer for school/internet/work etc. you'll manage that.
- People that believe input devices handle the same and it being down to "preference" even though there are dozens of scientific studies on the superiority of pointing devices for certain genres like FPS.

And whenever someone points out what they are saying is ridiculous and tries to correct them he/she is being labeled "elitist".

putowtin:
My PC is also my husbands buisness.
I do his books on there, sort out his accounts, email customers and suppliers from the PC.
Sometimes I just need to get away from it

Being LED isn't going to improve image quality massively.

Get yourself a good IPS panel, now THAT is an upgrade. The fact I was impressed by the red in my TF2 HUD says how good even entry level IPS monitors are.

dreadedcandiru99:

(2) Because I can't afford to buy a load of new computer parts every time a new game comes out.

That second thing, in particular, is by far the biggest reason I've stuck with consoles: all I have to do is turn them on, put the disk in, and play. I guess I'll have to find a way to afford more PC games, though, if some of the crap I've heard about the next-gen consoles turns out to be true...

Engaging in hyperbole is a fine thing when done sparingly, but sometimes one can go too far.

You already own a PC right? If you'd spent the combined budget of buying your PC + console you could get a gaming PC that would last you 3-4 years before you were forced to upgrade. Plenty of other valid reasons to game on a console, but this one just bugs me.

Usually I game on my PC, with the exception of platformers and exclusives. I like the controller better for platformers and exclusives obviously can't be played on PC. I know I can plug a controller into my PC, but it's finicky and not all games support them.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked