Why don't you play games on PC?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Strain42:
Now, I know is can be a tricky topic, and I'm hoping that both sides here can try to keep the insults and snobbery to a minimum. I'm not making this thread to start arguments, I'm just wondering.

I wonder how many posts in...

endtherapture:

tippy2k2:
Well I've never liked the controls to a PC. I've been a console gamer all my life and the only games that I find I prefer for the PC are RTS's (yes, I hate FPS mouse/keyboard scheme). The mouse/keyboard just doesn't feel like a gaming configuration to me.

Also, the cost. I'm betting I've over-estimated the costs but I just don't want to sink the hundreds of dollars it would take to get my computer to gaming usefulness and sink more money in later to keep it there. One purchase & one device that stays relevant for a decade is what I like.

Not to mention DRM...

All of these are precisely the reason I play PC.

1. I prefer the controls - mouse and keyboard is more intuitive for me but I can also plug in a controller if I want.
2. If I want to play on my couch I can just plug in my HDMI cable direct to my TV and enjoy beautiful HD
3. Games are waaay cheaper on PC, both new, and in Steam sales etc.
4. Mods. They add so much pleasure to a game.
5. My laptop (which runs Crysis and The Witcher 2 on high) cost 500. More expensive than a console yes, but I can carry it around, do my uni work on it, Facebook and go on Twitter and forums and Youtube with it, watch DVDs on it, store all my photos and music on it too. It's the ultimate media centre for me.

Two posts in, it would appear.

OT: I like the accessibility of consoles - if I buy a console I'm pretty much set for that generation and I can use my spare cash on the games themselves. Also controllers are far easier to use - a mouse and keypad may be more precise, but there is nothing more immersion breaking than using a keypad.

I only really play games that are either going to be modded the hell out of (aka Skyrim), are from the RTS genre, or games that are PC exclusives, on my PC. It may seem weird but a console just feels more natural to play, not to mention the lack of any hassle getting it to run properly. Plus, most of my friends only have consoles, so if I'm planning on playing any multiplayer, the console is usually the first port of call.

That said though, I do love my PC and am looking forward to Diablo 3.

Dexter111:
These threads can always be well summarized with a long "DURRRRRR!"...

It's always different people repeating like the 3-4 things they believe to be right because they are quite simply misinformed:

- People that think if you play on a PC you gotta use Mouse+Keyboard and somehow can't grasp the idea that you can stick Controllers, Joysticks, Wheels or any other periphery into those USB ports unlike most consoles.
- People repeating how a gaming PC costs anywhere from 3000-10000$
- People that are saying their games look so much better on a TV or play better from a couch without realizing that the cable they are putting into the back of their monitor also goes into the back of a TV.
- People seem to believe that one has to be some sort of rocket scientist for gaming on a PC (more like back in the 80s and 90s), when in reality nowadays it mostly constitutes being able to install Steam (and never even having to worry about physical media or losing games again), if you can manage using a computer for school/internet/work etc. you'll manage that.
- People that believe input devices handle the same and it being down to "preference" even though there are dozens of scientific studies on the superiority of pointing devices for genres like FPS.

And whenever someone points out what they are saying is ridiculous and tries to correct them he/she is being labeled "elitist".

Kids, you know what time it is. It's time to end the thread.

All I can add to this is this:

People say it costs too much to make a PC gaming ready but that is bullshit. A 6670 costs 50 or you can get a 7750 for 90. Both run of PCI-E power and are better than consoles for gaming.

Matthew94:

tippy2k2:
Well I've never liked the controls to a PC. I've been a console gamer all my life and the only games that I find I prefer for the PC are RTS's (yes, I hate FPS mouse/keyboard scheme). The mouse/keyboard just doesn't feel like a gaming configuration to me.

Also, the cost. I'm betting I've over-estimated the costs but I just don't want to sink the hundreds of dollars it would take to get my computer to gaming usefulness and sink more money in later to keep it there. One purchase & one device that stays relevant for a decade is what I like.

Not to mention DRM...

It costs about 70 to make 90% of PC's gaming ready and you make the money "back" due to the reduced cost of games.

I don't play that many games and most games I get I buy right out of the gate. So I'm paying 60ish bucks per game anyway. So I buy a $700 computer and pour an extra hundred buck in to make it playable? Also have to buy an aftermarket controller to be at all comfortable playing it? Nah I'm good.

I do play on PC. Cheaper and easier, and I can mod my games as I see fit. Also, Steam.

I like console gaming because; controllers are designed to be comfortable in the hands, I don't have to shell out money for hardware every 6 months, gaming can be done from the couch or bed, the community is more closely knit, exclusives seem to be better on console, no install/download/setup times besides updates, and I don't have to worry if the game will work or not. PC gaming is good because; I like installing new hardware, games are more open ended (mods), control schemes can be edited, more indie games, and I don't have to switch devices after finishing a paper. A lot of PC gamers seem to think it is, and always will be better then console. What they don't realize is that it's pretty much the same.

My reasoning I put in my post above is the primary reason but ultimately, it comes down to this: I like my console. That's literally it. I am much more comfortable using my console and would be a very unhappy gamer if you told me I couldn't use it anymore.

I never understood why these threads always end up being a big pissing contest between PC and Console gamers (actually, any thread involving PC V. Console version of anything seems to do this). I like what I like, you like what you like, let's all get along.

Alright, everyone! Hold hands and sing! Come on....I said do it! (I can't find the clip so if you are aware of it, this should be in "Futurama Hippie voice".

Thomas Guy:

Matthew94:

tippy2k2:

Not to mention DRM...

It costs about 70 to make 90% of PC's gaming ready and you make the money "back" due to the reduced cost of games.

I don't play that many games and most games I get I buy right out of the gate. So I'm paying 60ish bucks per game anyway. So I buy a $700 computer and pour an extra hundred buck in to make it playable? Also have to buy an aftermarket controller to be at all comfortable playing it? Nah I'm good.

Upon looking, it's 50 for a basic GPU.

If you actually read my post, the games are much cheaper. Unlike consoles with their $60 games you only page abut $10-15 for most games on steam due to sales.

Because I own a kick-ass 55' LED TV with a 360 and PS3.

Actually, the real reason is that I just haven't been in to PC gaming since my university days. Back then, I didn't have much room in the dorm so a TV and console were out of the question (especially financially). However, I needed a PC to do my work and it didn't cost too much to upgrade it to a decent gaming rig.

Shortly after I was done in university, my PC was pretty obsolete. I wasn't really using it anymore because I had pretty much stopped gaming and I had a laptop for surfing the net, e-mailing, working etc. I got back in to console gaming a few months later and haven't really looked back since.

I don't deny that I miss some aspects of PC gaming, particularly the graphics quality and tight controls for FPS games but I'm ok with not having it.

My pc can't run nothing new and i like consoles readyness.

No games coming out that interest me on PC only. The only thing I really play on my PC is Audiosurf and I had to get that through Steam since you can't find a disc version anywhere.

Myrmecodon:
At this point in life, consoles are for poors.

I won't hate a man for choosing consoles but will question either his financial situation or his dedication to competitive gaming, because the best competitive games nowadays require a top-tier Internet connection, keyboard and mouse(no controller autoaim gimmicks for YOU!), and hard core of players. Console gaming for friends can be done in a single room, competitive gaming is by definition against anyone out there ready for a democratic knock-down drag-out competitive throwdown with the top tier in the world.

Basically, non-Apple users.

For everyone else; it's people like this who give you a bad name. Not everyone is into competition or proving how thick and powerful their dick is. Quit putting your expectations onto everyone else and maybe people could have a decent conversation about what they prefer... but even then they'd be wrong. Better idea, stop bringing this topic up and stop correcting people when they're wrong. They're comfortable with what they have and if they feel the need to change then you can help them.

Dexter111:
- People that believe input devices handle the same and it being down to "preference" even though there are dozens of scientific studies on the superiority of pointing devices for certain genres like FPS.

Telling people they're "wrong" on what constitutes a preference is another way to keep this conversation from never ending. If someone prefers fat greasy burgers over a well balanced meal they're probably not interested in their health. It doesn't make their preference wrong as much as the loud mouth wants it to be.

I have a laptop that I use for work, and I'm not spending that much money to get a desktop JUST to play games. I only got a PS3 after the price was almost 1/3 the original price. I get the Nintendo systems because I love Nintendo's first-party games, and there are more than enough of them to justify buying each system.

I might be getting a new laptop soon, so I might be doing more gaming on PC, so there's that. It might not be able to play the newest stuff, and I prefer a regular controller. Between the new laptop and the upcoming WiiU, I'll be set for the next generation.

yeti585:
I like console gaming because; controllers are designed to be comfortable in the hands, I don't have to shell out money for hardware every 6 months, gaming can be done from the couch or bed, the community is more closely knit, exclusives seem to be better on console, no install/download/setup times besides updates, and I don't have to worry if the game will work or not. PC gaming is good because; I like installing new hardware, games are more open ended (mods), control schemes can be edited, more indie games, and I don't have to switch devices after finishing a paper. A lot of PC gamers seem to think it is, and always will be better then console. What they don't realize is that it's pretty much the same.

Wow, I've never seen so much wrong in 1 post. You impress me.

1. Subjective
2. I'm still running games at 1080P 3 years on in my entry level machine, most console games barely scrape 720P 30FPS.
3. So can PCs, I played on my couch for about 4 months with my PC before it moved rooms.
4. Close knit community. That's not even a point or even measurable for that matter. You just made that up.
5. I would bet you couldn't name 10 exclusive PC games.
6. Many console games have installs too, especially on PS3. On PC you have 1 install and after that it auto updates unlike on consoles.

Since I've moved into a shared house my PC's the only non-handheld platform I have for games, we're not allowed a TV in the house and there'd be nowhere in my room to set it up anyhow.

But I still don't get a lot of time to play at home anyway, too much uni work. ;_; Only got about a year and a bit left and then...

endtherapture:
5. My laptop (which runs Crysis and The Witcher 2 on high) cost 500. More expensive than a console yes, but I can carry it around, do my uni work on it, Facebook and go on Twitter and forums and Youtube with it, watch DVDs on it, store all my photos and music on it too. It's the ultimate media centre for me.

Out of interest, what's the make/specs on that? I, too, was under the impression that I'd need a much pricier machine to run some newer games so I've never even bothered trying any out on my 500 laptop.

Matthew94:

yeti585:

1. Subjective
2. I'm still running games at 1080P 3 years on in my entry level machine, most console games barely scrape 720P 30FPS.
3. So can PCs, I played on my couch for about 4 months with my PC before it moved rooms.
4. Close knit community. That's not even a point or even measurable for that matter. You just made that up.
6. Many console games have installs too, especially on PS3. On PC you have 1 install and after that it auto updates unlike on consoles.

May I ask the specs of that entry level machine?

lisadagz:
Since I've moved into a shared house my PC's the only non-handheld platform I have for games, we're not allowed a TV in the house and there'd be nowhere in my room to set it up anyhow.

But I still don't get a lot of time to play at home anyway, too much uni work. ;_; Only got about a year and a bit left and then...

endtherapture:

Out of interest, what's the make/specs on that? I, too, was under the impression that I'd need a much pricier machine to run some newer games so I've never even bothered trying any out on my 500 laptop.

Acer 5750G - it occasionally struggles and you can probably get a better one for a few more bob (I dont have the best processor) but it's great - did Skyrim on ultra before I started modding like crazy.

yeti585:

Matthew94:

yeti585:

1. Subjective

May I ask the specs of that entry level machine?

i5 750
HD 5770
4GB RAM
Asrock mATX Motherboard

Sure the i5 is powerful but the GPU is where it matters and there are many cards better than the 5770/6770. In nearly all games it can put out 60 FPS 1080P on the right settings.

my only reason and reason i converted form PC to consoles:
PC just don't have games i like to play. Yes simple as that and situation probably will not change.

Strain42:

There is one PC game I own that I really would like to play again (Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines) but ever since I got my new PC, I haven't been able to run it. So my PC gaming has pretty much come to a complete halt.

Why have you not been able to run it? Just out of curiosity, because I think I might be able to help you with that if it is because of why I think it is.

him over there:
I tried to hook up my ps3 controller to my PC and I simply couldn't do it. I looked online for three hours and the best I could do involved outdated software that I would have to pirate.

Here: http://www.motioninjoy.com/download

Used it myself, I know it works. Oh, and it's free. Xbox controllers are made by microsoft, so the drivers are already available on Windows. For some odd reason PS3 controllers require a special driver on Windows but work Natively on Mac OS. It's odd.

Typing "PS3 driver for windows" gets you the results immediately.

Matthew94:

i5 750
HD 5770
4GB RAM
Asrock mATX Motherboard

Sure the i5 is powerful but the GPU is where it matters and there are many cards better than the 5770/6770. In nearly all games it can put out 60 FPS 1080P on the right settings.

well I must be doing it wrong.

Never really gotten used to controlling with a keyboard and mouse, used games and how simple it is, put the disk in and play.

BreakfastMan:

Strain42:

There is one PC game I own that I really would like to play again (Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines) but ever since I got my new PC, I haven't been able to run it. So my PC gaming has pretty much come to a complete halt.

Why have you not been able to run it? Just out of curiosity, because I think I might be able to help you with that if it is because of why I think it is.

Basically, it installs just fine, but when I click the desktop icon to play it, the screen goes black for a bit, then it's just black in the top left corner and I get a "Vampire etc. etc. .exe has stopped working" message and it closes out.

I've fiddled with the compatibility modes, and the best I was ever able to get was with Windows 98, I was able to make a character, but as soon as I went to start the game I just hit the same wall.

I have a 32 bit Vista computer if it helps. I even tried installing that unofficial 7.9 patch thing but I don't think it helped.

Where I am right now though is I actually just uninstalled everything.

The most basic reason: the games I prefer to play are, in large part, not on the PC.

Yes, my current PC is incapable of playing most games released in the past couple of years but I would have no real problem upgrading if I felt any desire to do so. As such I personally don't count the paperweight quotient of my PC as a reason to not game on PC. It really is about the games.

I don't play traditional PC games because for the most part those same games are on consoles. In recent years I've missed out on Starcraft 2 and Hard Reset true but, (and here's the main reason) I don't know a thing about upgrading my computer and don't see investing in PC upgrades as being a good idea considering I'll likely need a new computer every few years anyway.

I mentioned traditional PC games above because I do play some PC games though. Mainly Flash games on newgrounds.com and other, similar websites. Haven't really touched the Zynga games but the closest I came to that was Mechquest or whatever the Hell it was. It didn't last long but mainly because of its obscene lack of Killdozer or, Megaweapon.

Well, im both a PC and a Console gamer. I do own more games on PC then console, but alot of them are older.

Why? Because its cheaper, just as much fun, and most of my friends are console players. My computer is getting on in age. Ive had it since Vista hit the shelves, and only had it upgraded once. While it will run almost anything out there, a console guarantees i wont have any hardware issues, or that i wont have to turn my graphics down.

I just prefer to play some games on console more then PC. Its just.... i dont want to say "better", but its easier. And that makes life better.

Dexter111:
These threads can always be well summarized with a long "DURRRRRR!"...

- People that think if you play on a PC you gotta use Mouse+Keyboard and somehow can't grasp the idea that you can stick Controllers, Joysticks, Racing Wheels or any other periphery into those USB ports unlike most consoles.
- People that are saying their games look so much better on a TV or play better from a couch without realizing that the cable they are putting into the back of their monitor also goes into the back of a TV.
- People believing that one has to be some sort of rocket scientist for gaming on a PC (more like back in the 80s and 90s), when in reality nowadays it mostly constitutes being able to install Steam (and never even having to worry about physical media or losing games again), if you can manage using a computer for school/internet/work etc. you'll manage that.
- People that believe input devices handle the same and it being down to "preference" even though there are dozens of scientific studies on the superiority of pointing devices for certain genres like FPS.

And whenever someone points out what they are saying is ridiculous and tries to correct them he/she is being labeled "elitist".

That is one of the major problems i do not play most games on the pc these days it is so much hassel.I want to play with a controller on my tv so on a pc i would have to unplug my keyboard,mouse and monitor to plug in the controller and my tv.That is after installing the game and then making sure i have the settings right for it.

That is close to 30 minutes i could have been playing the game on a console.

Also the mouse and keyboard has many flaws as both controllers and mouse/keyboard set ups have pros and cons and scentific studies also miss out the personal things.But your so deep rooted into your views that me going any further would just start a back and forth arguement that will never end.

Pretty much like the debate i feel both sides have there pros and cons while it coming down to how you want to play your games.I do not get the whole deep seated my set up is better than yours who gives a shit just enjoy your games.You dont hear people argue over the best way to throw a frisbee so i do not get why we have these arguement.

Well, I play games on both my Xbox and PC, but anyways...

The reason why I own both is because trying to get a game working 100% on a PC can sometimes take hours, or even days. Sometimes a game just won't like your video card, or processor, or just the color of your wallpaper.

You don't have to worry about that with a console. Does it work on an Xbox? Yes. Do own an Xbox? Yes. Then you can just pop it in and start playing in 15 minutes.

So I usually get games like Call of Duty and such for my console, and games like Skyrim and Fallout for my PC.

I don't have the set up required to play PC... so I would have to get one... and that is a world of technology that is forever changing and increasing and that puts me off! I don't get all the time in the world to game, so when I do I like to keep it simple and worry about the games only!

Computers also fustrate me... some of the most infuriating experiences I have ever had growing up was trying to sort out my home PC for my parents... I hated it... problems randomly arise for no apparent reason! You do everything the 'plug and play' devise says, and install the drivers it says to the place it says, but then it just won't work! >:(

And as I said... I now don't have the time to learn why it doesn't, so I have just become more and more impatient...

Saying that I do play some of the older games on my laptop, I have Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Red Alert 2, and they all work better on PC than they would on console! But it takes far too long normally before they load up, and I can't watch cutscenes, and they constantly crash, and they will sometimes just close for no reason mid play...! :/

Strain42:

BreakfastMan:

Strain42:

Basically, it installs just fine, but when I click the desktop icon to play it, the screen goes black for a bit, then it's just black in the top left corner and I get a "Vampire etc. etc. .exe has stopped working" message and it closes out.

I've fiddled with the compatibility modes, and the best I was ever able to get was with Windows 98, I was able to make a character, but as soon as I went to start the game I just hit the same wall.

I have a 32 bit Vista computer if it helps. I even tried installing that unofficial 7.9 patch thing but I don't think it helped.

How many gigs of ram do you have? Also, have you tried the True Patch Gold yet (WARNING! Link is NSFW)? I have a 64-bit Windows 7 with 8 Gigs of ram (basically, making the game unplayable without mods), and using that, it works just fine for me.

Strain42:

BreakfastMan:

Strain42:

Where I am right now though is I actually just uninstalled everything.

It is a broken, broken game.

Thankfully is has a good mod community. Go to steam forums and look for its subforum. There will be links to the 2 different user patches.

tippy2k2:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/xbox-360-wireless-controller-for-windows/jr9-00011

That's the price you pay for technology that is on the curve and not progressively behind it year on year. I personally find that appealing. For instance, I'm a big BF3 gamer. The console version looks like utter ass compared to the PC version. I could never go to the console version. Also, staying relevant is a relative term here. Yes, in the console sector, a latest gen console will be relevant until the successor or a new competitor is released. In the market as a whole, including the PC sector, you're irrelevant after about 6 - 12 months.

Not to mention DRM...

Hmm, the only reason why you don't see much DRM floating around on consoles is because the game is already on a tightly controlled system where there is little room for hackers to do anything. PC, being the more free system that it is, is prone to things that make the publishers/asshats think "hey, let's punish our legitimate customers and do literally nothing to the pirates!". I agree with you on that one, but it's something I bear with for the benefits of PC gaming.

BreakfastMan:

Strain42:

BreakfastMan:

How many gigs of ram do you have? Also, have you tried the True Patch Gold yet (WARNING! Link is NSFW)? I have a 64-bit Windows 7 with 8 Gigs of ram (basically, making the game unplayable without mods), and using that, it works just fine for me.

I only have 3 gigs, how many do you think I would need? Also, this may be a weird question but...

There used to be a glitch, it basically let you max out almost all of your stats just while making your character. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it got fixed in a new patch. Do you know if that's still around or not?

Every one, well pretty much everyone, plays games on the PC.

The term is so broad and covers to much. All those flash games, facebook games, and small little indie games count.

Matthew94:

putowtin:
My PC is also my husbands buisness.
I do his books on there, sort out his accounts, email customers and suppliers from the PC.
Sometimes I just need to get away from it

Oh and my PS3 and xbox are hooked up to a sublime 40" LED, games never looked so good!

Being LED isn't going to improve image quality massively.

Get yourself a good IPS panel, now THAT is an upgrade. The fact I was impressed by the red in my TF2 HUD says how good even entry level IPS monitors are.

LED only has to do with the light source. The TVs are still LCDs. Most panels have moved away from 18 bit color addressing (and most have exceeded the NTSC standards now anyway, producing more colors than people can see).

Toshiba, Panasonic and Hitachi all use IPS-PRO or IPS alpha in their TVs. Samsung and Sony use PLS or S-IPS, and the rest something similar. The tech has been around since the 90s. It's pretty much the sole reason most people under 25 don't realize they used to advertise viewing angles as a feature of devices with an LCD.

Shoggoth2588:
don't know a thing about upgrading my computer and don't see investing in PC upgrades as being a good idea considering I'll likely need a new computer every few years anyway.

PC's last for longer than you think. As stated above, my 3 year old machine still plays 1080P 60FPS on games at the right settings.

Here is how to upgrade your GPU.

1. Remove case door.
2. Plug in card to PCIE slot
3. Plug in power cable
4. Close door

That's it.

Spygon:

That is one of the major problems i do not play most games on pc these days it is so much hassel.I want to play with a controller on my tv so on a pc i would have to unplug my keyboard,mouse and monitor to plug in the controller and my tv.That is after installing the game and then making sure i have the settings right for it.

That is close to 30 minutes i could have been playing the game on a console.

Also the mouse and keyboard has many flaws as both controllers and mouse/keyboard set ups have pros and cons and scentific studies also miss out the personal things.But your so deep rooted into your views that me going any further would just start a back and forth arguement that will never end.

Pretty much like the debate i feel both sides have there pros and cons while it coming down to how you want to play your games.I do not get the whole deep seated my set up is better than yours who gives a shit just enjoy your games.You dont hear people argue over the best way to throw a frisbee so i do not get why we have these arguement.

Why would you have to unplug those things?

Just connect the PC to your TV via HDMI and plug in the controller, there is no more hassle than that.

It doesn't take 30m to sort out settings and even if it did, "Oh no, 30m on what could be up to a 150 hour game".

Personal things? You mean "I'm use to controllers and cannot adapt to a second interface"?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked