55.9% (179)
other
10% (32)
10% (32)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: PC vs Console reasons

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Read below before answering poll

Something that I have been noticing a lot (well I have always noticed it), is that whenever a pc vs console debate comes up people usually use a reason for preferring Console over PC is that they prefer to sit on a couch and use a controller. I have even seen people say this on the escapist, and it really annoys me. You guys do know you can use a controller on PC and plug your computer into the T.V and play on the couch. Now this is not a debate over whether or not console or PC is better. consoles are great for convenience, they're cheap and easy to use, and they have many great exclusives but the excuse "I prefer a controller" or "I prefer to be on the couch" should not fly because you can do both those on a computer, just plug it into the T.V and plug a controller in (now I know it works both ways, you can use a mouse and keyboard on console using 3rd party hardware if you choose and plug your console into a monitor).

So my question is do you think controller or T.V should be reason for playing on console or pc

Personally my answer is no. it should not be a reason for debate in what you prefer, I know everyone is entitled to there own opinion (I mean this in it's self is an opinion) but saying "I prefer console because of a controller" just feels narrow minded (in my opinion). what do you guys think, am I being arrogant and narrow-minded myself, am I overacting. Are they're any other excuses that annoy you when someone ses they're preferred hardware to play games on. I apologize if I have offended anyone, (Keep in mind that I think both console and Pc are good to game on).

Edit: for example you could use this card to transmit a wireless signal to T.V, I don't know about other options. You don't have to move your computer
http://www.guru3d.com/news/galaxy-outs-slick-nvidia-gtx460-with-wireless-tv-connectivity/

Edit 2: Aright there some good points for not wanting to move your computer to a T.V but what about using a controller debate

Edit 3: ok, so this seems to have gotten a lot of attention, and A few (alright a lot) seem upset about the forum name. I apologise if the word excuses came accross as a bit strong, I should have said reasons, I will change it.

Preferring to sit on a couch, in my opinion, is a legitimate reason to rather a console over a PC. While I can't speak for anyone else, I've always placed my PC on a desk in it's own room, or a part of another room (such as the dining room). I think it's important to have separate areas to work and play to remain productive. I know that a PC can be connected to a television, but frankly, I don't have a keyboard and mouse with cords long enough to reach the PC. Focusing on work (which I use a PC to do) can also become quite difficult if I'm lying on a couch and moving the PC from desk to television just seems to much work. Console at television for games, PC at desk for PC exclusives (or games I rather have on the PC); works for me, maybe not for others.

I do agree, however, that a controller should not be the only reason to choose a console over a PC, there are other factors.

yRar_972:
Preferring to sit on a couch, in my opinion, is a legitimate reason to rather a console over a PC. While I can't speak for anyone else, I've always placed my PC on a desk in it's own room, or a part of another room (such as the dining room). I think it's important to have separate areas to work and play to remain productive. I know that a PC can be connected to a television, but frankly, I don't have a keyboard and mouse with cords long enough to reach the PC. Focusing on work (which I use a PC to do) can also become quite difficult if I'm lying on a couch and moving the PC from desk to television just seems to much work. Console at television for games, PC at desk for PC exclusives (or games I rather have on the PC); works for me, maybe not for others.

I do agree, however, that a controller should not be the only reason to choose a console over a PC, there are other factors.

Good piont, but there are video cards that will wirelessly digitally transmit a signal from your PC to the T.V, so you don't actually have to move your computer from your desk. and you can also use a wirless contoller too. so you can have your computer in a seperate room while connecting it to the T.V. Personally I have a laptop so it is easy for me. I will see if I can find the card or device that trnsmitts your computer signal to the T.V (I believe it uses a small device similar to onlive to communicate with the T.V from the computer, but just video signal over lan which means near zero latency)

Edit: for example you could use this card to transmit a signal, I don't know about other options
http://www.guru3d.com/news/galaxy-outs-slick-nvidia-gtx460-with-wireless-tv-connectivity/

I don't see why it wouldn't be a valid issue. Most people already have their consoles connected to their TVs in front of couches and their PCs located on desks in offices, bedrooms, etc. It's easy enough to say "hey, you don't have to do it that way. Just do this or buy that and it can work!" but it's still unnecessary trouble and/or expense that not everyone wants to deal with. Much like with the rest of the PC VS Console debate, convenience and cost are probably two of the most common reasons why people choose to game on a console.

StriderShinryu:
I don't see why it wouldn't be a valid issue. Most people already have their consoles connected to their TVs in front of couches and their PCs located on desks in offices, bedrooms, etc. It's easy enough to say "hey, you don't have to do it that way. Just do this or buy that and it can work!" but it's still unnecessary trouble and/or expense that not everyone wants to deal with. Much like with the rest of the PC VS Console debate, convenience and cost are probably two of the most common reasons why people choose to game on a console.

But wouldn't that an argument be for convenience and price, the point is it is possible, and the way many people talk about it they make it out as if it is impossible (without mention it's impossible). It feels like it comes back to conveinance, moving a desktop only requires 3 cables, power, video and audio, so I find it easy to move a desktop. Even though I have a 360, but if theres a game on PC for a $1 and it's $12 on console than I would rather buy the PC version and spend 5mins moving my desktop.

Perhaps I should have added an "only for T.V" or "only for Controller" in the poll, I am hearing good points for T.V debate but have yet to hear any good reasons why one cannot use there controller on a computer

Well yeah, it's kind of Linux vs Windows. Sure, you tell people they can use (most) any windows program, they just have to install it via WINE or use a Virtual-Box. Well, people don't wanna do that. They just wanna hit the ground running.

Sure, it may seem silly but that's how it is.

Ok, I won't use an excuse. I just prefer playing on consoles and if you don't like that, tough shit. I don't see why I should have to explain my preferences to people who will just insult or condescend me over them. But seriously, fuck off and just let me play the way I want to.

Well I like consoles over PC's because of exclusives, split-screen, used games, PC's get shitty ports, unified achievements/trophy scores, and controllers. And I cannot possibly stress this part enough: Unless the PC game has native controller support (and not all do. Witcher, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Bioshock 2, Oblivion to name a few) trying to use controllers with PC games is such CRAPPY experience next to consoles!! yes, even with xpadder!

Racecarlock:
Ok, I won't use an excuse. I just prefer playing on consoles and if you don't like that, tough shit. I don't see why I should have to explain my preferences to people who will just insult or condescend me over them. But seriously, fuck off and just let me play the way I want to.

Wow, calm down. Maybe you should have read the whole thing, I said I am cool with console, I own one myself. I just don't like it when people use it as an excuse in PC vs Console debates. Please explain when I insulted or condescended you?

Who cares? Why does it matter what people choose as their gaming device?

It's a nice advantage of consoles over PCs, just because it doesn't have anything to do with the hardware doesn't mean it's not something a lot of people will take into consideration.

Asuka Soryu:
Who cares? Why does it matter what people choose as their gaming device?

I have seen forums about PC vs console before that get hundreds of responses (so some people must care) but know one mentions this, unfortunately most PC versus Console threads quickly turn into flame wars and hate, which seems to be happening already (like I have said a few times already, whatever you decide to play on is fine, but if your going to write an opinion about PC vs Console I just want people to consider all the angles rather than a 1 minded view on it. I admit I may have been a bit judgemental, but I have been browsing through some of these discussions (flame wars) and wanted to see if people could take a different approach to it.

If you don't care then why post on this thread "you don't care". why not just leave it blank if you don't care, why even click on it in the first place?

legendp:

Racecarlock:

Wow, calm down. Maybe you should have read the whole thing, I said I am cool with console, I own one myself. I just don't like it when people use it as an excuse in PC vs Console debates. Please explain when I insulted or condescended you?

Sorry. It's just that I've been in these kinds of threads before, and while it's relatively calm now, it gets pretty ugly. Plus it did kind of seem like the opening post was kind of talking down to me while grouping me in, me being a console gamer. Seriously, read that post and pretend for a moment you prefer consoles. It does sound a little bit like an attack. And i've been insulted so much before that I tend to get defensive when people bring it up. That happens to you too, right?

What? Does this really warrant it's own thread?

If anyone has some sort of controller fetish then the PC is your pimp. The PC has all sorts of controllers. It is important to note that not all PC games natively support controllers.

PCs are more expensive than a game console and significantly larger. The PC vs consoles debate is stupid. PC wins, but it really isn't fair to compare the two in the first place now is it? No one looking at buying a $1000 gaming rig is going cross shop it against a 7 year old $300 console or vice versa.

The controller argument is silly. PCs have controllers too.

Racecarlock:

legendp:

Racecarlock:

Sorry. It's just that I've been in these kinds of threads before, and while it's relatively calm now, it gets pretty ugly. Plus it did kind of seem like the opening post was kind of talking down to me while grouping me in, me being a console gamer. Seriously, read that post and pretend for a moment you prefer consoles. It does sound a little bit like an attack. And i've been insulted so much before that I tend to get defensive when people bring it up. That happens to you too, right?

Fair enough, I apologise if it came across that way

As a PC gamer who pretty much solely plays with a controller, I can say that it is a valid reason. Why? Because with console you know you have native support. I've run into the problem where some games don't have the option for controller support, even if they should. Payday comes to mind. It was released on PS3 as well, yet got no controller support. There are some programs that can be used, but they cost money or carry risk with them.

With native support becoming more and more common though, it's becoming less and less of an issue. But it is one that does still exist.

Personally, I think the debate is irrelevant and silly as-is. Why do people care about the reasons one person chooses a console over a PC, or a PC over a console? :/

And why is it an "excuse"? That implies less than savory things in my mind already... Like everyone automatically has easy access to a gaming capable, but are too lazy to use it. Like doing chores, or something.

When I want to play on my couch, I grab the iPad, not the console, so it should vs "PC vs console vs tablet" nowadays.

way2sl0w:
Well I like consoles over PC's because of exclusives, split-screen, used games, PC's get shitty ports, unified achievements/trophy scores, and controllers. And I cannot possibly stress this part enough: Unless the PC game has native controller support (and not all do. Witcher, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Bioshock 2, Oblivion to name a few) trying to use controllers with PC games is such CRAPPY experience next to consoles!! yes, even with xpadder!

1. steam
2. steam
3. steam
4. steam
5. steam

Why bother with splitscreen when everything is on-line anyway? The only reason people use splitscreen was because internet access wasn't universal. However, 20 years later, internet is widely used.

Not to mention splitscreen relies on a very specific TV specs or else it looks terrible.

Steam does almost everything you ask and is the most widely used gaming platform in the world. Its user base is even larger than World Of Warcraft.

1. Steam showcases PC exclusives.
2. Steam tells you which game got bad reviews.
3. steam is so cheap used games are more expensive. I dare you to find a brand new Serious Sam: BFE for 10$. Especially since its AAA and was 10$ only a couple months after its release thanks to steam discounts and coupons.
4. steam has achievements, but why bother for virtual trophies?

That is a completely retarded argument, who would possibly make that?

I prefer consoles for a whole variety of other reasons besides the fact that they allow me to sit on a sofa. For nearly a decade the only room in the house I was allowed to use my console in had a hard back wooden chair for sitting on, playing on the computer would have been infinitely more comfortable than that, but I stuck with consoles all the same.

Supposedly Valve is working on a 10 foot interface for Steam that is optimised for use with a controller. Once we have that people can quite comfortably game on a PC in their living room on the 42" LCD while sitting in an armchair. I have even heard talk that Dell will start pre-loading Steam to use this new interface on platforms like the Alienware X51 which is about the size of an Xbox 360 but with many times the performance capabilities. I'm calling it now. Valve is going to help OEM computer manufacturers push PC based gaming systems into the living room to compete with consoles more directly.

EDIT: Quick update on that. Noticed the Alienware X51 already comes preloaded with Steam and Portal and there is a pretty good selection of games to throw in when you buy online. Go figure.

I don't like gaming on a PC. I'm not into modding, I don't like the controls, and so on. But that's not the only reason for me not to game on a PC. For me, my livelihood is dependent on me keeping a PC as a tool and not an entertainment center. I use a word processor to type. I use crossword puzzle making software to make crosswords. I use Corel Publisher to make fliers. I use the internet to search for article writing leads and to look for work. The only way I can do those things is if I don't use the computer to play games on it.

No, it's not really a good excuse because when my 360 died I hooked my controllers to my PC, all the 360 games I lost I got back for 15 bucks total. I hit two buttons it goes to my TV via HDMI. So I can sit back with 360/PS2/PS1 controllers/mouse and keyboard.

Am I against consoles? I have 10 from past generations and a PS3 and an dead xbox 360 so I like a lot of consoles, just not this generation so much. My PC does the same and more, the games are cheaper, and I can do my art and whatever. So there's no real point for a 'modern' console when my PC does it and more, what does a console do beyond a PC? Nothing. But if someone doesn't need the 'more' then a console is just fine.

As far as this particular reasoning goes, no, not really. You can easily hook up your PC to a TV, plug in one of the many available controllers and have the same "couch experience" as on a console.

Racecarlock:

I swear in all these threads you're usually the first person to get noticeably upset. And in threads that specifically relate to PCs you always seem to be one of the first to turn it into some PC elitist issue.

After a while I started realizing the reason I'd always notice your avatar was because you are often the first person to get vehemently defensive about your preference towards consoles.

It's often enough to be a pattern. You are part of the problem, not the solution, understand that hate only begets more hate.

Here's my two cents. no it is not a good excuse on its own. Honestly for convenience i dont have to download a bunch of stuff to use my ps3 controller on my ps3. however i dont side either way. inherently some things are better controlled with mouse and keyboard fps, rts (this one especially), mmorpg, etc. platformers both third and first person plus side scrollers..are better with a controller (for me at least). everything has its place. the console is a convenience albeit slightly more expensive in the long run thing. and the pc is a overall superior thing if you pump the time into it. Why is that so hard to understand for some people? But again to answer your question: no it is not, but soem games are better played with controller and its more convenient to not have to download drivers and configure stuff..just pop in and play.

EDIT: the tv thing is a non issue for me since i dont have a widescreen HDtv so hooking up my computer to it would be a downgrade in quality.

The only counter I can think to your argument is that it is hard or awkward to play PC on a couch. Most PC games that I play or would want to play, require a keyboard and mouse. Even if you have a wireless keyboard and mouse, it is awkward to play on the couch unless you have a small table set up or something.
One of the paladins in my guild would always boast that he played WoW on his 50" TV while sitting on the couch, and I'm pretty sure that he had a small table set up so he wouldn't have to have the keyboard on his lap or the mouse on some coaster or something.

So yeah, saying you prefer console over PC because you use a controller or because you like sitting on a couch, is no good defence for consoles. I play my consoles while sitting on my beanbag chair, and I've played starcraft the same way (which can feel awkward at times).

Ultratwinkie:

Why bother with splitscreen when everything is on-line anyway? The only reason people use splitscreen was because internet access wasn't universal. However, 20 years later, internet is widely used.

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

This is the reason multiplayer has gone from something fun to a boring chore for me these days. Multiplayer is no longer a fun social feature. It's a given, it's a grind, it's a rise to the top fighting against scores of annoying kids spouting profanity into their microphones. It's restricted, cordoned-off, sectioned-away, points-based leaderboard fights. Compare Halo online to playing local multiplayer. Local is a blast, where you set your rules and have at it in really fun ways. I can't tell you how much fun I've had with that. If online could possibly deliver the same experience, Halo would be undisputed champion over CoD. But no. Only with friends can you actually choose custom settings, because the sanctity of rankings must come before all else. Even with friends, it's not as fun as offline.

If you can't punch the guy next to you, if you don't actually have that real-life communication and feedback, it's not the same thing. Not even close. I can't stand the focus on online. For one, I've never experienced lag-free matches in any game or connnection I've tried. For two, the experience of playing with people and the non-stat-driven nature of offline multiplayer simply cannot be matched with online. In my eyes, it's an inherently and objectively worse experience in more ways than one. So to say what you said completely flies in the face of that. God forbid more people in the industry start thinking like that and I may never again be able to play with friends offline. Maybe next generation will take out all local connectivity features entirely.

I play my wii from the same chair I play my computer games on.
So poll option "no" for me.
I think it's silly to debate consoles vs pc anyways since I think you should just play what you find suits you. But that's just me.

I prefer a desk

I feel more alert..more focused (also mosue/keyboard)

theres a reason I sit on an office chair ti play my console

Really it depends on your set up, ie only having one computer or tv kinda kills being able to use a pc hooked up to the tv if your sharing either, like me I occasionally play older pc titles on the household pc whick cannot be relocated into my room for obvious reasons thus I'm forced to play pc games outside of my setup along with limited usage kinda kills it for me. I get that the whole "excuse" not being very difficult to overcome but adjusting your gaming setup could involve some effort and expense and most people won't do that for something they perceive as equal. I think it's mostly being used because its a quick response requiring little effort instead of trying to actually articulate a position.

legendp:

yRar_972:

Good piont, but there are video cards that will wirelessly digitally transmit a signal from your PC to the T.V, so you don't actually have to move your computer from your desk. and you can also use a wirless contoller too. so you can have your computer in a seperate room while connecting it to the T.V. Personally I have a laptop so it is easy for me. I will see if I can find the card or device that trnsmitts your computer signal to the T.V (I believe it uses a small device similar to onlive to communicate with the T.V from the computer, but just video signal over lan which means near zero latency)

Edit: for example you could use this card to transmit a signal, I don't know about other options

Yeah, I'm one for the best of both worlds, but that TV card is nothing short of expensive in its own right. Just to be a kicker, hooking up your PC to your TV and using a controller for gaming is all well and dandy assuming you don't mind the hassle it will be to do that. But then if you need to browse the internet or write a document. It'll become a pain in the arse... then you have to get some kind of tray on your lap and a wireless mouse/keyboard, but that's not comfortable so why not save yourself some inconvenience, time and money and buy a cheap-ass PC/Laptop for business and purchase a console for gaming. Hassle free and you're only losing out on a bit of modding and graphical enhancement for the time being.

Maybe a lot of people don't wan't a bulky-ass PC at the front of their living room. We all know laptops are quite incapable, so why not slip a console between under the stand and keep the PC for work in another room.

(For the record, I'm on both sides. My PC is actually hooked up to my TV and so is my console, but I prefer to game with the console as my PC is a bag of crap at the moment)

Asuka Soryu:
Who cares?

Tens of thousands of people.

Asuka Soryu:
Why does it matter what people choose as their gaming device?

1) Developing for a PC is free. Developing for a console requires the company to buy a license to do so(costing the company money it could use to further develop a game)

2) Developing ports is also costly, as often times developers more familiar with a system must be called in to code for it to run on a different PC/Console system. This means hiring people(or a 3rd party studio) that would otherwise be unnecessary. Again costing the developer more money.

3) It is restrictive in terms of what you can do, as you have to develop for your lowest common denominator. Hence controls can be unnecessarily simplified to the point where it's bad for the game. And graphics can and often are stunted. Often times the mouse is not properly coded for resulting in weird sensitivity rates(such as mass effect games or Skyrim.)

Ultratwinkie:

No. Just no. Online is NOT a replacement for splitscreen. Can you really say that playing aginst some faceless guy who may or may not even be on a mic is equal to playing against someone sitting next to you? Not all gamers are antisocial enough to not have any friends they can bear to be in the same room as.

Or I can get a gamepad on PC and play from my bed, but still have mouse and keyboard for RPGs and FPS.

Da Orky Man:

Ultratwinkie:

No. Just no. Online is NOT a replacement for splitscreen. Can you really say that playing aginst some faceless guy who may or may not even be on a mic is equal to playing against someone sitting next to you? Not all gamers are antisocial enough to not have any friends they can bear to be in the same room as.

Woah woah WOAH, easy there, you are really defensive for some reason.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked