other
10% (32)
10% (32)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: PC vs Console reasons

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Da Orky Man:

Ultratwinkie:

Why bother with splitscreen when everything is on-line anyway? The only reason people use splitscreen was because internet access wasn't universal. However, 20 years later, internet is widely used.

No. Just no. Online is NOT a replacement for splitscreen. Can you really say that playing aginst some faceless guy who may or may not even be on a mic is equal to playing against someone sitting next to you? Not all gamers are antisocial enough to not have any friends they can bear to be in the same room as.

That's assuming anyone can muster the strength to play a game at someone's house. Everyone I knew rather play online, because going over to someone's house (which may or may not be falling apart) was a chore.

Hell, even the console fanboys I knew liked online over split screen.

Da Orky Man:

Ultratwinkie:

Why bother with splitscreen when everything is on-line anyway? The only reason people use splitscreen was because internet access wasn't universal. However, 20 years later, internet is widely used.

No. Just no. Online is NOT a replacement for splitscreen. Can you really say that playing aginst some faceless guy who may or may not even be on a mic is equal to playing against someone sitting next to you? Not all gamers are antisocial enough to not have any friends they can bear to be in the same room as.

Or you know play with friends who you know online instead of having to move stuff between houses all of the time. Just putting it out there.

Ultratwinkie:

Da Orky Man:

Ultratwinkie:

That's assuming anyone can muster the strength to play a game at someone's house. Everyone I knew rather play online, because going over to someone's house (which may or may not be falling apart) was a chore.

Hell, even the console fanboys I knew liked online over split screen.

Glademaster:

Da Orky Man:

Ultratwinkie:

Or you know play with friends who you know online instead of having to move stuff between houses all of the time. Just putting it out there.

I never siad splitscreen is a replacement for online. And how much stuff do you need to move between houses? A controoler, that's about all. My brother and I play games together a lot, though we xan't with most because it doesn't offer splitscreen, meaning we'd have to fork over more money just to play together.

Ultratwinkie:

You must have never played a splitscreen game with friends. Not to insult you but there is no other way you could say something so wrong.

Ehhh this thread >_o

My PC is for work and my consoles are for play, to put it bluntly, if the two are not seperate then I do not work and trust me on this: I barely work as it is.

yRar_972:
While I can't speak for anyone else, I've always placed my PC on a desk in it's own room, or a part of another room (such as the dining room). I think it's important to have separate areas to work and play to remain productive.

See, I'm not the only one who has this approach to the issue.

I also enjoy the sheer laziness involved in console gaming, but then I've always had consoles throughout my life starting way back with a second hand master system and mega drive back in the early nineties, and through with the playstations and nintendo handhelds.

So I've never been a PC gamer. Though I occasionally enjoy a game thats on steam dirt cheap, like Painkiller, I will generally prefer the ease of the console's that I know and love.

For most people a big factor is the cost of entry for PC gaming, I'm not gonna go around and tally up a price for it all but the last time I looked into it I would've spent about twice as much as my PS3 cost at the time as a minimum. Whilst it is true that over time you save more on cheaper games you need to also take into account that a large entry cost can be daunting and off putting to consumers; a good example is the tuition fee issue here in the UK, where they were recently recapped at around 9000 a year, whilst they altered the nature of paying it back to make it in reality cheaper than the previous cap of just over 3000, the barrier to entry is much steeper and therefor much more offputting to begin with.

It's also worth noting that many gamers use trade ins to get the newest titles and reduce the costs for themselves, making use of the offers in stores of the "Trade in X get Y for 5" variety. The gamers that do this could lose out in terms of physical media for the PC because most stores in the UK won't accept returns or trade-ins of PC software. Steam is a viable alternative, since it's easy to use and everything is well priced with frequent sales sweetening the deal, but it's still nice to be able to trade in games for credit and put them towards future things and alot of people plain and simple like to have a physical copy of a game. I for one enjoy being able to browse my game shelf for things to play; this isn't just games it extends to why I have shelf after shelf of movies and CD's too.

So since I've rambled on for a bit long here I should wrap this up.
Some people like consoles for a variety of reasons; convenience, entry price, laziness, seperating their work/play area, etc. Overall I'd say the TV issue is a pretty valid reason for not wanting to use your PC for gaming, especially since it fits in nicely with work/play being seperate, but barring yourself from the PC over controllers is pretty silly; especially if you own a 360 controller which you can typically plug and play, my dualshock 3 is a bit more of a pain in the ass but M&K works fine for L4D2 most of the time.

legendp:

So my question is do you think controller or T.V should be reason for playing on console or pc

Should be a ? there my good man; forgive my grammar nazism but as a teacher it's my job and it's a tough habit to break.

In short:
T.V. Yes, under circumstance.
Controller not really no. Find some drivers or splash out on a 360 controller.

Also: please Escapist's don't come at me with Steam, I went over Steam above and I use Steam alongside my consoles. I don't wish to have arguments over Console Vs. PC, it's a waste of time, people like what they like.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Ultratwinkie:

You must have never played a splitscreen game with friends. Not to insult you but there is no other way you could say something so wrong.

I did, multiple times, and it was awful. We scrambled to find working controllers for the second person, the split screen made the game look worse than normal, a max of two people, and any sort of surprise was impossible because they could see what you see. LAN parties were better than splitscreen.

Personally I have a console and a pc. Most of the time if a game is on the console I'll play it on that but sometimes I'll use the pc

One point that I don't think has been raised yet (sorry if I missed it); if you want to play multiplayer online and use your pc and a console controller unless you are very good you are going to have a hard time against people who are using a keyboard and mouse. In singleplayer it doesn't really matter but for multiplayer its nice to win now and then :P .

Your argument is invalid. People can easily us a tv instead of a moniter for their pc and many pc games support the use of a 'gamepad'.

PC can do everything a console can and many more things that a console cannot do due to it's limitations as a platform. There's no question that PC is better, it's just more expensive and perhaps more complicated for the less tech minded people out there.

It's definitely true that many console gamers separate out and say they don't like PC gaming for reasons such as that.

But PC and console has almost become a bit of a 'culture war' within gaming. Largely with PC gamers shunning a lot of things they don't consider "true" enough. For instance, many PC gamers try to "shame" the controller or joypad or whatever word or variant that isn't a keyboard and mouse.

Thus leading console gamers to think they're console gamers because they like playing on a couch instead of a desk, or using a controller instead of a keyboard.

I'm a console gamer, because I like jRPGs and Nintendo games.

But as another has stated, I like native controller support, as well. Something PC games often don't get, good controller support. If anything, because a lot PC game fans, complain about games that are too controller friendly. If it's blatantly obvious you can play it without a keyboard, people complain. It's entirely possible that the approval rating of using a controller among PC gamers, is less than the approval rating of piracy.

And there's a multitude of other reasons I like my consoles. I know that PC gamers feel so proud about how they've built a PC, and how easy building a PC is, so much so that they deem people who don't like building PCs as "unworthy of playing video games". But building PCs isn't as easy as people say it us. And not everyone wants to deal with the stress. You have to realize that you need a quality brand and rated PSU. Enough wattage. You have to make sure you don't damage your motherboard during installation. If you have problems installing RAM memory, you have to take out the battery. And the slightest mistake you may have made, can lead to BSoDs and all sorts of stuff. Oh, and let's see, you can't let desktops get too much dust in them. And... yeah.

The majority of PC games are for an operating system that costs $100. It'd be different if most games were for Linux, or Microsoft Windows was cheaper. But it's one hundred dollars, or more. Bleh.

And while it's true that consoles do have some problems. PC gaming has much more in terms of bugs. The amount of things that can go wrong running in the background of the Windows OS is insane.

It might even be possible to label me a PC gamer, under certain, super broad, definitions. Things like the fact, I dunno, I actually spend more time on the PC and even gaming on the PC thanks to emulation and so forth. But lord if the PC gaming community does anything to make most people feel like PC gamers.

Because to a lot of "PC gamers", emulation is piracy is heresy, controllers are heresy, console style RPGs are heresy, all the things I like about PC gaming are heresy. When I think of some of my favourite PC gaming, it's taking video capture of console games I like. I don't know, like what Chuggaconroy does.

I would never personally take this into consideration when making my gaming choices, but I think it has legitimacy. If you can't stand to sit at a computer chair with a keyboard it can totally kill the experience and vice versa for any other form of physical convenience while gaming. We all know when we feel uncomfortable it's damn near impossible to concentrate on anything that doesn't have to do with re-attaining said comfort.

SkarKrow:
Ehhh this thread >_o

legendp:

So my question is do you think controller or T.V should be reason for playing on console or pc

Should be a ? there my good man; forgive my grammar nazism but as a teacher it's my job and it's a tough habit to break.

In short:
T.V. Yes, under circumstance.
Controller not really no. Find some drivers or splash out on a 360 controller.

Also: please Escapist's don't come at me with Steam, I went over Steam above and I use Steam alongside my consoles. I don't wish to have arguments over Console Vs. PC, it's a waste of time, people like what they like.

So the general idea seems to be that T.V's and PC are in a different room. Yeah I'll agree with that, and I'll admit that installer controller drivers on a PC can be a bit of a hassle. Yes the question was poorly worded wich has probaly led to a more agressive response. I also forgot splitscreen, which for me is one of the best things about owning a console.

However people try to keep the flaming down, I apologise if I have offended anyone, It's just I see the PC vs console debate raised all the time but this side of it rarely gets mentioned

You can go out of your way to do the controller/sofa thing but most don't.

Personally I play on consoles for convenience, Buy a new console every 7-8 years, buy games for it play them, sell on the ones I don't want, buy more games, no upgrades or anything like that.

I'm not saying that consoles are better than P.C, In terms of hardware its no contest but I'm not exactly a super hardcore gamer I just play games so console is the choice for me.

I can understand the controller being more convenient when youre sitting on the couch...

But for me my TV is my PC (second screen connected to TV card), so sitting in front of the TV or PC isnt much different :P

idarkphoenixi:
Your argument is invalid. People can easily us a tv instead of a moniter for their pc and many pc games support the use of a 'gamepad'.

PC can do everything a console can and many more things that a console cannot do due to it's limitations as a platform. There's no question that PC is better, it's just more expensive and perhaps more complicated for the less tech minded people out there.

I'm relatively tech minded and believe I could put a good PC together. I could also afford one. I just prefer console gaming, its how I've been gaming since the 90s granted acknowledgement that obviously a PC is a more powerful system which I do play occasionally but only on strategy games like DoW 2. Its not that people "can't" build a PC its normally because they don't want to. Saying that every person who doesn't play PC is poor and has no knowledge of how a PC works is just plain ignorant.

Ha, I'm backwards on this:

-> I hate most modern controllers, particularly the 360 one. I prefer a keyboard.
-> I have no couch, only a substitute futon, which isn't as comfortable as my chair+ottoman.
-> I already need a PC for school/work/goofing-around-time. Games are sort of like a bonus. A console is basically only good for playing games.
-> For some reason, even my laptop's shite integrated graphics (Intel HD) are good enough for playing the games I'd care to play (e.g.: lags a bit on ME1, but plays ME2 & ME3 just fine). (Unlike the stereotypical PC gamer, I've never been a graphics whore, so what's it matter?)

That being said, I do occasionally play me some consoles - just not from this generation. My N64, Gamecube, and second-hand NES and PS2 still get some love.

i use an arm chair for my pc.. have a wooden table top thing that fits across the arm rests. works well.

for me the simple fact is that the games i like arent on console and i seriously doubt they could ever be

I sit on my coach to use my gaming PC.
All bow to me!
Just kiddin'.
OT: Keyboard and Mouse are better tools for controlling what's going on on-screen in my opinion, but I understand if people want to use a controller, that's fine I guess.
But the coach thing doesn't make sense, since you can plug any computer into a TV.

Yes it is. I'm a pc gamer, and the pc can do wonderfull things and has a lot more uses and functions. But it's not a 'relax with your buddies on the couch have a fun time- machine'.

StriderShinryu:
I don't see why it wouldn't be a valid issue. Most people already have their consoles connected to their TVs in front of couches and their PCs located on desks in offices, bedrooms, etc. It's easy enough to say "hey, you don't have to do it that way. Just do this or buy that and it can work!" but it's still unnecessary trouble and/or expense that not everyone wants to deal with. Much like with the rest of the PC VS Console debate, convenience and cost are probably two of the most common reasons why people choose to game on a console.

And the "cheapness" of consoles is entirely false due to the price of games, peripherals and for some people, online.

Yes, the argument is perfectly reasonable and valid.

People are familiar with setting up their gaming room or living room with a t.v and couch. Everything is designed to suit the decor of the room.

Not all families like the idea of placing a computer in the picture. In addition things are inherently more complicated when you incorporate the computer into the setup. The living room is designed for people of all ages, not just the gamer or the tech savvy.

The PC game pad has also been a very poor experience in general. I seldom have a PC game where the game pad will immediately function half as well as a console controller without calibrations or troubleshooting. Perhaps it's because my PC gamepad was old or not the 'right' one at the time.

A PC can replicate the experience of a console, but there are barriers to entry in terms of decor and ease of use.

I think the main thing is money vs modding. You can't do anything to a PS3 or Xbox game (well, not anything outlandish), but I like being secure in the knowledge that I only have to buy a console once and they have to make the games for it, not the other way around. I also like a controller better, but mouse is more responsive and more accurate, so at the end of the day, I think it's all habitual. That said, I'll always be a Playstation user. Unless they pull that BS with the used-games and backwards compatibility and the Xbox 720 does have those features. In which case I'll switch to PC (f*** you Microsoft, I'll never pay for online. :D).

Oh and Armored Core is my favourite game/series of all time, so I'd like to stay with Playstation if possible.

Glademaster:

Da Orky Man:

Ultratwinkie:

You do...know what splitscreen is, don't you?

VeneratedWulfen93:

idarkphoenixi:

I'm relatively tech minded and believe I could put a good PC together. I could also afford one. I just prefer console gaming, its how I've been gaming since the 90s granted acknowledgement that obviously a PC is a more powerful system which I do play occasionally but only on strategy games like DoW 2. Its not that people "can't" build a PC its normally because they don't want to. Saying that every person who doesn't play PC is poor and has no knowledge of how a PC works is just plain ignorant.

If you want to make it a matter of personal opinion then someone else might say they prefer gaming on a DS, or playing on iPad apps. A debate like that will lead nowhere since you're essentially just going in circles. What I'm saying is that from a technical standpoint the pc is capable of everything that a console is and more. Fantastic games like the TW series are not put onto the console because it simply can't handle it and is limited by not having a keyboard and mouse.
At a logical point of view, the pc is better and most likely always will be simply because of what it's capable of. But we will always have personal preference and theres nothing wrong with that, some people like pepsi and some like coca cola.

I think ever since services such as Steam took to the mainstream, PC Gaming is hands down the best option.

With PCs you can surpass the hardware of a console system, you can enhance a game's personal value to you by modding it to your liking, and you can control virtually any game more effectively using the mouse + keyboard combo.

Now it used to be a valid argument against PCs that for most people, consoles gave them much better bang for their buck. After all, a console would cost maybe 300 while a good gaming PC would be around 800. The thing is, this used to be based upon the fact that console games and PC games were the same price, this isn't a fact anymore.

The prices you can get a game for on your PC is now drastically lower than the price you would pay for with a console, especially if you're buying games on special sale. Unless you're a very occasional gamer, within the lifespan of your PC you are likely going to even out the total average cost per game between PC and console when accounting for the rig cost.

I bought my current PC a few months ago and in that time the amount of money I've saved buying games I actually wanted is already above 100 dollars.

legendp:

So the general idea seems to be that T.V's and PC are in a different room. Yeah I'll agree with that, and I'll admit that installer controller drivers on a PC can be a bit of a hassle. Yes the question was poorly worded wich has probaly led to a more agressive response. I also forgot splitscreen, which for me is one of the best things about owning a console.

However people try to keep the flaming down, I apologise if I have offended anyone, It's just I see the PC vs console debate raised all the time but this side of it rarely gets mentioned

I concur, it's an interesting thing to discuss and explore, but I always get fed up when people flame over it and start throwing around accusations of being a "fanboy" and other such nonsense ):

Drivers arent a huge issue for me, though it was a pain finding drivers for a dualshock 3 and then diving through the settings buried deep in the game to make it recognise it as a 360 controller.

[Edit] So, what's up with that OnLive? (; From what I've heard it's a pretty good alternative to a huge hardware investment and you can do that on whatever you darn well please, StormDainProductions on youtube is midway through a mini-series on it.

Give it a few years to flesh out and for internet speeds in my area to actually be passable for it and it's the future.

If I'm honest, the reason I didn't use a PC for a LONG while for gaming was mainly because how much of a pain it is to get one working. And then once you've faffed around for a while and you finally get your hardware working you have to go through installation. AND THEN, even after spending ages installing your brand new game there's no guarantee its going to work as soon as you put the disk in, or even if it'll work at all. The two big reasons that you should go PC over console is the fact that its much easier to play with your friends and also the GIGANTIC indie platform and cheap, but great games, that you can get from platforms like Steam.

Regnes:
I think ever since services such as Steam took to the mainstream, PC Gaming is hands down the best option.

With PCs you can surpass the hardware of a console system, you can enhance a game's personal value to you by modding it to your liking, and you can control virtually any game more effectively using the mouse + keyboard combo.

Now it used to be a valid argument against PCs that for most people, consoles gave them much better bang for their buck. After all, a console would cost maybe 300 while a good gaming PC would be around 800. The thing is, this used to be based upon the fact that console games and PC games were the same price, this isn't a fact anymore.

The prices you can get a game for on your PC is now drastically lower than the price you would pay for with a console, especially if you're buying games on special sale. Unless you're a very occasional gamer, within the lifespan of your PC you are likely going to even out the total average cost per game between PC and console when accounting for the rig cost.

I bought my current PC a few months ago and in that time the amount of money I've saved buying games I actually wanted is already above 100 dollars.

also, nowadays you can easily put a pc together for the price of the console that is many a times more powerfull. so that more power for the buck argument is out of the window too.

hell, building a pc NOW that surpasses the known specs of the xbox720 that comes out in late 2013 is only between 3- and 400 bucks. and by when that thing comes out it will be even cheaper of course.

I don't think so. Then again I sit on a couch when I play games on my computer (it is a laptop.)

LilithSlave:
But lord if the PC gaming community does anything to make most people feel like PC gamers.

That's just holdover from when the vocal sections of the emu scene made efforts to distance themselves from general PC gaming in the mid 90s.

i have a fantastic reason for playing on consoles instead of pc i am fairly poor, (as in there is no way i could put a couple of hundreds of pound towards something without saving up for a year oh so) (16 btw) and i won an xbox 360 in an arcade so that is why i play xbox

MeChaNiZ3D:

Glademaster:

Da Orky Man:

No. No I don't think that I have ever experience this thing called split screen. I just decided to come on to a forum and bash it for no reason other than to troll people and look like an idiot. It isn't like if you don't have the right aspect ratio the screen is fucked up due to split and trying to find working controllers and batteries and then only having a limited amount of people to play aren't problems with it. Not to mention people being dicks and screen looking. Yes split screen really was the epitome of multiplayer gaming.

Da Orky Man:
I never siad splitscreen is a replacement for online. And how much stuff do you need to move between houses? A controoler, that's about all. My brother and I play games together a lot, though we xan't with most because it doesn't offer splitscreen, meaning we'd have to fork over more money just to play together.

And I never online was a total replacement I gave an alternate scenario to your bleak, dystopian future. That is all well and good for people who live close to each other and for people with sibling who wish to play games and no it should not be fully removed. So yes, obviously a controller is too much for people.

you know you can get wireless controllers for the PC you know that right? it,s a silly reason IMHO.

Glademaster:

MeChaNiZ3D:

No. No I don't think that I have ever experience this thing called split screen. I just decided to come on to a forum and bash it for no reason other than to troll people and look like an idiot. It isn't like if you don't have the right aspect ratio the screen is fucked up due to split and trying to find working controllers and batteries and then only having a limited amount of people to play aren't problems with it. Not to mention people being dicks and screen looking. Yes split screen really was the epitome of multiplayer gaming.

My point is you don't have to move anything around except maybe a controller.

The real reason for this one is convenience. You can get a PC working on a TV with a gamepad, if you know what you're doing. The console comes pre-packaged to work like that, the PC requires setup and a little bit of knowhow to work at all (same for a standard keyboard/mouse/monitor/desk setup as the TV/gamepad thing, though).
That's the thing about PC gaming... it's rarely easy or convenient, it just gives you far more options. This coming from a guy who has been building gaming PCs since the early 90s. I tend to prefer options over ease or convenience, but I'm weird, and I often wear

Huh. How very appropriate. My 4000th post was in one of these threads. I think I'll be beating the corpse of this horse until there's no such thing as "a console" or "a PC".

legendp:
Read below before answering poll

Something that I have been noticing a lot (well I have always noticed it), is that whenever a pc vs console debate comes up people usually use a reason for preferring Console over PC is that they prefer to sit on a couch and use a controller. I have even seen people say this on the escapist, and it really annoys me. You guys do know you can use a controller on PC and plug your computer into the T.V and play on the couch. Now this is not a debate over whether or not console or PC is better. consoles are great for convenience, they're cheap and easy to use, and they have many great exclusives but the excuse "I prefer a controller" or "I prefer to be on the couch" should not fly because you can do both those on a computer, just plug it into the T.V and plug a controller in (now I know it works both ways, you can use a mouse and keyboard on console using 3rd party hardware if you choose and plug your console into a monitor).

Personally my answer is no. it should not be a reason for debate in what you prefer, I know everyone is entitled to there own opinion (I mean this in it's self is an opinion) but saying "I prefer console because of a controller" just feels narrow minded (in my opinion). what do you guys think, am I being arrogant and narrow-minded myself, am I overacting. Are they're any other excuses that annoy you when someone ses they're preferred hardware to play games on. I apologize if I have offended anyone, (Keep in mind that I think both console and Pc are good to game on).

Edit: for example you could use this card to transmit a wireless signal to T.V, I don't know about other options. You don't have to move your computer
http://www.guru3d.com/news/galaxy-outs-slick-nvidia-gtx460-with-wireless-tv-connectivity/

Edit 2: Aright there some good points for not wanting to move your computer to a T.V but what about using a controller debate

Edit 3: ok, so this seems to have gotten a lot of attention, and A few (alright a lot) seem upset about the forum name. I apologise if the word excuses came accross as a bit strong, I should have said reasons, I will change it.

some people have come on here and said "I don't want my computer to be on my tv."

The thing is, you can get a relatively cheap PC that is far more powerful than a console and hook that up to your tv OUTSIDE of your regular desktop. So that's really, REALLY not an excuse you can use.

Also, I think "excuses" was a fine word. :p

So I guess I think it isn't a legitimate argument... my biggest reason for owning a console now is purely exclusives. Even the best looking console game (Uncharted 3, in my opinion) looks down right FUGLY compared to anything on my PC.

And I'm not really a man that's all about graphics - I like the increased performance and capabilities PC games bring (such as better FPS rate or 64 person maps on Battlefield 3), but when you compare PC graphics with console, it's down right painful.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked