Graphically updated classics and you

Pages PREV 1 2

system shock.. needs a graphics overhaul and mouse look. otherwise awesome game

nikki191:
system shock.. needs a graphics overhaul and mouse look. otherwise awesome game

There is a mouselook mod and a higher res mod. Check the system shock portable site.

I don't like simple graphical overhauls as rereleases. As mods? Sure. But as releases? Nope.
One of my biggest regrets in recent gaming was paying for Halo Anniversary. The idea of replaying an unchanged Halo in glorious HD sounded great, until I actually did it. Then I was reminded of the shallow, clunky melee mechanics, weird vehicles, horrible marine AI...

Look, if they had released Halo with the same level design, weapons, and enemy/item placement, but updated it with classier AI and physics as well as graphics... Well, that would make it succesful as a fully priced $60 game.

DoPo:

Anyway, there was a project which was called, I think, Morroblivion which aimed to use Oblivion's engine to render Morrowind. I've seen some pretty, well, pretty results. They had all the landscape just no NPCs, last I know about it. And then Bethesda made the community shut down the project. I know they continued unofficially afterwards but I don't know if they did anything or if the project fell apart for one reason or another. Anyone have news?

Lifted straight from the FAQ on morroblivion.com

»Wasn't Morroblivion shut down by Bethesda?
Several years ago, at the beginning of the Morroblivion project, the project thread was shut down on the official Bethesda forums, and hosting of it on TES Nexus was taken down at Bethesda's request, due to some apparent licensing issues with using textures from Morrowind in Oblivion.

Please respect Bethesda's legal concerns and do not post or discuss Morroblivion on the Bethesda official forums, TES Nexus, Planet Elder Scrolls, other similar sites, social networking sites etc.

These legal issues have now been circumvented with mesh and texture replacers, and community development of the project is still going on here at Morroblivion.com.

» What's changed? Last time I checked in on the project, it was a mess and nothing worked.
Today, Morroblivion is a fully playable, working game world. Quests, NPCs, creatures, items, and graphical features all have been painstakingly converted, upgraded and/or created by hand to bring a true-to-the-original experience that takes advantage of many of Oblivion's advanced features.
Current Status (version 051)

Completed: 100% of the main Morrowind game has been completed, and is fairly well debugged. There is very little that gets in the way of a complete Morrowind experience.
In Progress: Bloodmoon and Tribunal debugging

I have it, and I can say it is truly amazing.

I Dont mind them as long as they dont expect full price for it

These graphical revamps make me happy because it also includes optimizing these games to play on new operating systems.

Personally, I'd love to see a revamp of the original System Shock. Of course, the control scheme from back then would seem pretty insane now, but I wouldn't complain. :P

NikolaiK:

DoPo:

Anyway, there was a project which was called, I think, Morroblivion which aimed to use Oblivion's engine to render Morrowind. I've seen some pretty, well, pretty results. They had all the landscape just no NPCs, last I know about it. And then Bethesda made the community shut down the project. I know they continued unofficially afterwards but I don't know if they did anything or if the project fell apart for one reason or another. Anyone have news?

Lifted straight from the FAQ on morroblivion.com

»Wasn't Morroblivion shut down by Bethesda?
Several years ago, at the beginning of the Morroblivion project, the project thread was shut down on the official Bethesda forums, and hosting of it on TES Nexus was taken down at Bethesda's request, due to some apparent licensing issues with using textures from Morrowind in Oblivion.

Please respect Bethesda's legal concerns and do not post or discuss Morroblivion on the Bethesda official forums, TES Nexus, Planet Elder Scrolls, other similar sites, social networking sites etc.

These legal issues have now been circumvented with mesh and texture replacers, and community development of the project is still going on here at Morroblivion.com.

» What's changed? Last time I checked in on the project, it was a mess and nothing worked.
Today, Morroblivion is a fully playable, working game world. Quests, NPCs, creatures, items, and graphical features all have been painstakingly converted, upgraded and/or created by hand to bring a true-to-the-original experience that takes advantage of many of Oblivion's advanced features.
Current Status (version 051)

Completed: 100% of the main Morrowind game has been completed, and is fairly well debugged. There is very little that gets in the way of a complete Morrowind experience.
In Progress: Bloodmoon and Tribunal debugging

I have it, and I can say it is truly amazing.

That is great news indeed! Thank you for that. You can have all of my Interntez kind sir. All of them.

daveman247 - http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/ It works just fine. And yes, BG = Baldurs Gate

Zachary Amaranth:
Not every game needs to push the medium forward.

Bingo. We can't just judge games by whether they push the medium forward, we have to judge them by how good they are on their own. Everyone keeps saying how games are taking all these steps backward, so when Re-releases acknowledge games that are actually GOOD, put them on the market, you're going to dismiss them because they were around 10 years ago?

And yeah, there's the mod argument - which is fine if you've played the game beforehand, but for many of these old releases, there are MANY people who haven't played the game before - they largely don't know about them, and if they do, they may not care to go scouring for a good mod - I certainly don't. I haven't played a LOT of these golden oldies - top of the list is Baldur's Gate, and I appreciate the fact that they're coming out with a rerelease.

Black Mesa Source
while they are at it Blue Shift and Opposing Force while they are at it
Fallout 1/2

I currently have almost all the ratchet & Clank games (bar all 4 one because I don't have ps3 friends, secret agent clank and size matters), I think they games have barely aged at all, they still look great, I'm still bouncing at the news of the HD remake. Though I guess this has something that one-ups most other HD remakes: Multiplayer. Wish Gladiator was there for the co-op, but hey, I can hope for DLC.

I unfortunately do grimace quite a lot at old PS1 graphics, so remakes of those games I'm cool with. FOr the most part PS2 games don't need them though, they still look great.

Apart from Gladiator, really remakes I'd want wouldn't work, because the barrier is more gameplay than graphical fidelity. God I hate the combat of old RPGs...

I loved playing Halo: CE Anniversary, much more enjoyable than Reach. Halo 2 refresh would be nice too. As for the future, BG HD remakes are at the top of my "must by" list.

You can see I have no problems with re-releases, as long as they are done well and feature suitable games.

Das Boot:

Karutomaru:
You don't need to ask whether or not such a remake would make money. Gaming isn't about the money.

Well actually it is about the money.

A good game company never cares about the money.

Karutomaru:

Well actually it is about the money.

A good game company never cares about the money.[/quote]

Those who dont care about money quickly go out of business.

Deus Ex 1 needs an HD overhaul and fast. As great as the game was and still is, it has not aged well at all. I would kill to see Deus Ex 1 reintroduced to newer audiences Halo Anniversary style: Everything intact plus a new engine, animations, and tweaks here and there, like making a tranquilizer dart actually worth a shit.

I would take a rerelase it if fixed stuff that didnt work the first time round. Just a straight port is boring, lazy and overdone.

Hmm i'm not really for them. The old graphics stay true to what the games really were and give you that nice nostaligia feeling. It's like WoW, I absolutely love the crappy, cartoony graphics but now everybody wants Blizzard to make it look realistic... I dun liek it :(

For those complaining about the difficulty in installing mods, the most recent version of the Morrowind Overhaul (2.0) includes an automatic installer that makes life a million times easier than with the previous versions. Plus it looks great.

http://morrowindoverhaul.rpgitalia.net/news/its-release-time-morrowind-overhaul-sounds-graphics-2-0

i would love to see morrowind get a graphics update. its been my gaming dream for years. but at the same time i fear they will actually do it and fuck it up. the ONLY way i would accept a new morrowind was if they changed ONLY the graphics. no new gameplay mechanics, no new quests, because that would ruin the feel. but if they keep it original than i would love it

The Wykydtron:
I still say the Persona 4 HD remake looks worse than the original somehow. The screenshots look a little bit too... Bright? Something just looks off about them.

Bright?! Heresy!

Although, I do agree. The new sceenshots removed some of the atmosphere from the old version. I still think the environments need a couple more truckloads of fog for them to look like they used to.

I'm still going to buy the game, regardless of how it looks.

By the gods, this thread is on page two and no one has mentioned a graphically updated version of...

FINAL FANTASY 7

yet?!

I am shocked.

OT: Xenogears, the other Squaresoft game released at about the same time as FF7. Both suffered from the same transitional graphics (from cartridge to disk-based) and both look terrible (for entirely different reasons).

I really want to like deus ex.well I already really like it but if any game was made hard to love because of its visual and audio (sound effects not ost) then it is that game. the models are terrible the physics are crap the animations are mind bogglingly terrible and the voice acting...well I actually quite like that but still.
a deus ex remake(full remake keeping all content but updating it graphically and maybe some mechanical upgrades like they did with oot3D) would be AWESOME.

I'm pretty OK with graphical upgrades to games, as long as they come out a long enough time AFTER the game to be a way to introduce the newest group of gamers to it. For instance, I've been gaming for a long, long time, but I've got a friend who I very recently got into it. He loves Human Revolution, but refuses to play the original DX because he "can't get immersed because of the graphics". If a game is old enough for that, it's OK. If newer gamers are still OK with the graphics, I don't think it's worth it.

(No, I don't think "Graphics aren't good enough" is a good reasone to not play a game. Do some less experienced gamers think so? Yes.)

buy teh haloz:
Deus Ex 1 needs an HD overhaul and fast. As great as the game was and still is, it has not aged well at all. I would kill to see Deus Ex 1 reintroduced to newer audiences Halo Anniversary style: Everything intact plus a new engine, animations, and tweaks here and there, like making a tranquilizer dart actually worth a shit.

I have to disagree here. It's not just a graphics overhaul this game needs. They need to fix a ton more. Make it have Deus Ex Human Revolution gameplay, graphics and level design approach because it isn't just the graphics that have aged poorly, but the whole game. Storywise it's a great game I have many fond memories of it but by today's standards, the levels make very little sense in some portions of the game, the gameplay is a bit clunky especially when it comes to gunplay (needing high levels in rifle skill to aim a sniper rifle anywhere close to effectively for example) and when it comes to stealth aswell (DXHR spoils us with 3rd person viewpoint while in cover let alone being able to toggle getting into cover.)

I would buy the shit out of this game though :P

As someone else said (and probably others) bring the games up to date with the rest of gaming, not just visually. Gameplay usually ages worse than graphics.

I love HD releases and I'm planning to get the Devil May Cry HD collection when it comes out!

xxcloud417xx:

buy teh haloz:

I have to disagree here. It's not just a graphics overhaul this game needs. They need to fix a ton more. Make it have Deus Ex Human Revolution gameplay, graphics and level design approach because it isn't just the graphics that have aged poorly, but the whole game. Storywise it's a great game I have many fond memories of it but by today's standards, the levels make very little sense in some portions of the game, the gameplay is a bit clunky especially when it comes to gunplay (needing high levels in rifle skill to aim a sniper rifle anywhere close to effectively for example) and when it comes to stealth aswell (DXHR spoils us with 3rd person viewpoint while in cover let alone being able to toggle getting into cover.)

I would buy the shit out of this game though :P

Completely agree here, I saw a copy f Deus Ex in a bargain bin for 50p the other week and decided to treat myself. It really is a case of enjoying the story in spite of the game, which is never the point in this medium. If they made a modern day overhaul though (i.e. DE:HR style bvut keeping theRPG elements intact) I would give them my first born son.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked