Games that make you feel good / badass?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

As a bit of a counterpoint and to cheer me up after the ending of ME3 and the relentless depression that is The Walking Dead I thought I'd ask, what games make you feel like a badass and have a good ending?

I've just had a scan of my Steam library and can't really find anything unplayed which fits the bill. Serious Sam TSE has the badass bit down, but it's overall a bit too stressful. Unless I turn the difficulty right down I guess.

So, any ideas?

Prototype. Be one of the most (arguably the most, in some ways) powerful video game characters ever.
0:22 and 0:30 in this video sum it up pretty well; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zFhU--m2p8
The ending wasn't AMAZING or good, but it was certainly wasn't bad.

Badass? Check. 10x
Good ending? Meh, maybe a little bit above meh for its nature
Story? For what it is, it certainly gets credit.

I felt pretty badass as Adam Jenson in Deus Ex HR. Despite being a small pawn facing enemies that wield more power than most governments, I felt pretty good taking out soldiers with a little help from my awesome augmentations. Also, I looked pretty badass.

Having a good run in TF2 is always awesome. Super sneaky Spy shenanigans are hilarious.

Also pulling off a badass comeback in UMVC3 is always fulfiling and playing a decent Vergil is just fun. Calling him Wesker with a sword doesn't do him justice. Wesker just isn't fun to play full stop for starters.

And certain moments in certain matches in UMVC3 are just badass in general. If you can get a Vergil vs Dante match with people of equal skill it's just cool to watch. Probably the only match I honestly was glad I lost.

I would say the Assassin's Creed games but they have a "baby's first badass" feel to them. Like you don't even need to try to just destroy everyone in town. Hold RT to win sort of thing if you get my meaning.

Infamous 2 gave me deep satisfaction pushing multiple guys off of a roof top with one push, and electrocuting anyone in the water never got old, especially pushing them into the water too.

Ninja'd but yes, doing good as a spy in TF2 is the greatest feeling ever :)

getting a high killsteak in a mw game and smugly punding the other team into the dust with air support is always fun and makes you feel bad ass, its a mix of doing well, being rewarded, schaundenfrued and knowing that everyone else in the lobby is your bitch

also winning a hard thought game of domination is always fun, just today i jumped in a game and the enemy was up by over 100 points and had air support up and i turned it round for my team, triple capped them got a reaper up and won the game (which is a good ending)

cod is a much better and much more skill based game than people give it credit for

also saints row because beating up the entire population of a city with a dildo-bat doesnt put a smile on your face i doubt anything will

Recently, I guess it would be while playing Dark Souls. Wait wait, hear me out. Yes, the game's bosses makes me its bitch as a regular occurrence, but I always feel like I've accomplished something when I take it down, or when I'm cruising through lower leveled guys with a battleaxe killing them all in one shot when it used to be difficult to kill even one.

This might just be because I finally found an online PvP game that I'm actually pretty good at, but I generally walk away from a good game of Gotham City Imposters feeling like a badass more often then I walk away hating myself and thinking that I should just give up on games.

Roller-skates + Shotgun = good times

Halo: Reach is the one game where you can feel like a badass because of skill, not "MLG skillz", skills made by the developers of the game

Infamous 2 on the good run, at the end when you are full charged and totally destroy The Beast. Ok, its not that hard but my God it felt good. The evil final fight just made me feel dirty.

Also probably the last game that I beat Mass Effect 3,

Surprisingly few, actually. Most games are too easy (Assassin's Creed, DX:HR, Batman, Crysis) or too clunky (Dark Souls).

A couple of examples come to mind though:

- There's this one part in Mirror's Edge, a multi-story foyer full of enemies, just after you snipe the prison van. It's possible to just run through it, but it can be extremely satisfying if you try to take everyone out.

Vault a railing, slide over a bench, land right in front of a cop. Knee him in the face, kick his buddy in the shins and disarm him from behind before he recovers. Throw the gun away and sprint down the stairs. Leap from staircase, landing on SWAT officer's head. Disarm second officer by sweeping out his legs, snatching his shotgun and smacking him with the butt as he goes down. Discard shotgun, vault railing and cushion the fall by landing on a machine gunner. Turn, charge, use a nearby bench as a springboard and take out final enemy with a flying kick. Saunter out the door like a badass. All in first person. Usually takes me about 15 tries.

- Anyone ever play Oni? Old game, not well known. Made by Bungie just before Halo became a thing.

Charge a cluster of enemies, focusing on the one carrying a weapon. Front kicking disarm - kick him the face, force him to the ground, twist the weapon from his hand and empty magazine into his chest in one smooth movement. Charge second opponent, arm around his neck and swing yourself around, breaking neck and hitting third opponent with feet in the process, knocking him over. Hit last standing opponent with flurry of kicks, finish with charging leg throw. As downed enemy recovers, kick him in the nuts, jink behind him and break his back. Good times.

Batman. Because it's impossible to feel weak when you're the goddamn BATMAN.

Games that make you feel badass? Too many to count.

Games that make you feel good? That's a different story. There's a rather limited worldview of the idea of "morally grey" writing in videogames, meaning that many game stories confuse "morally grey" with "the player can never be happy with their side of a conflict". Even if you do perform an action that would usually be recognized as "good", it's usually brushed aside by the narrative to a certain extent. RPGs tend to avert this the most; one thing I have to commend Fallout 3 on is the Galaxy News Radio broadcasts, which made for a nice bit of positive reinforcement as you performed beneficial actions for the wasteland. Similar goings on happen with party members and Bioware games; though you're probably well familiar with those if you've played Mass Effect.

Then there's any game that lets you get attached to characters, so even something as simple as having them survive feels good. Perfectly clearing a level in Pikmin is always a good sensation, and Ico is entirely built upon this sort of positive reinforcement.

Getting a sweet win in UMvC3 always makes me feel awesome.

Especially if I can get Vergil motivated...

Ah, there he is :D

Tribes Accend beta. Free to play, and nothing feels better than building up max speed whilst skiing and taking the flag & capping it in 20 seconds. Gotta go fast.

F.E.A.R made me feel like the biggest badass of all time at some points, as does pretty much any game where the enemies ACTUALLY RESPOND TO HOW BADLY THEY'RE GETTING OWNED. This, of course, was rather offset by the times where the game made me want to curl up and cry like a little child, so probably not the best motivational game.

Responsive enemies always win major points in my book. I hate feeling like I'm just mowing down a bunch of Russian-speaking robots incapable of fear or anger. When an entire army is getting it's ass beat like a drum by one guy with an assault rifle, you'd expect them to say something about it.

Far Cry 2 soldier: "I THINK THERE'S ABOUT 5 OF THEM!"
Me: *merry laugh*

Catfood220:
Infamous 2 on the good run, at the end when you are full charged and totally destroy The Beast. Ok, its not that hard but my God it felt good. The evil final fight just made me feel dirty.

OT: Warhammer Space Marine, just... Warhammer Spaec Marine

Playing a Vanguard on insanity in ME2. Very much so.

Zhukov:
\ Usually takes me about 15 tries.

Just reading your description made me feel epic. I vote that it is worth the 15 tries.

Zhukov:

- Anyone ever play Oni? Old game, not well known. Made by Bungie just before Halo became a thing.

Charge a cluster of enemies, focusing on the one carrying a weapon. Front kicking disarm - kick him the face, force him to the ground, twist the weapon from his hand and empty magazine into his chest in one smooth movement. Charge second opponent, arm around his neck and swing yourself around, breaking neck and hitting third opponent with feet in the process, knocking him over. Hit last standing opponent with flurry of kicks, finish with charging leg throw. As downed enemy recovers, kick him in the nuts, jink behind him and break his back. Good times.

Fuck man, I want to know why nobody even tried to go for the same formula as Oni.

The combat was brilliant for it's time and had an amazing flow to it.

I think Bungie should really get back to making something like that again.

Prototype is a pretty good one for feeling badass as said above.

Darksiders is pretty badass too. Hacky, slashy, fun, press B to rip some demonic fucker in half with your bare hands. Yeah, can't wait for 2.

xSKULLY:
getting a high killsteak in a mw game and smugly punding the other team into the dust with air support is always fun and makes you feel bad ass, its a mix of doing well, being rewarded, schaundenfrued and knowing that everyone else in the lobby is your bitch

also winning a hard thought game of domination is always fun, just today i jumped in a game and the enemy was up by over 100 points and had air support up and i turned it round for my team, triple capped them got a reaper up and won the game (which is a good ending)

cod is a much better and much more skill based game than people give it credit for

also saints row because beating up the entire population of a city with a dildo-bat doesnt put a smile on your face i doubt anything will

OT: Demon's Souls. Okay, I don't know if the ending is good, as I've yet to complete the game, but this game has you feeling like a total badass when you kill a boss/a tough enemy.

number2301:
As a bit of a counterpoint and to cheer me up after the ending of ME3 and the relentless depression that is The Walking Dead I thought I'd ask, what games make you feel like a badass and have a good ending?

Infamous 2. Specifically the good ending (I kept trying to be evil and failing after twenty minutes). The ME3 debacle reminded me of this. Yes, it's kind of a "sad" ending because

and you definitely know that that's what you did. And you get to see what happens to the characters you've spent two games with. And you don't get hit with some magical bullshitty last-minute M. Night Shyamalan twist.

Closure, basically, is what I'm getting at.

...I think I'll play that game again.

teh_Canape:

Catfood220:

OT: Warhammer Space Marine, just... Warhammer Spaec Marine

Yea This completely

Even i spent most of the game doing it...it did not get old...crushing and destroying Orks and Heretics will never get old....NEVER

dreadedcandiru99:

number2301:

Infamous 2.

...I think I'll play that game again.

You're gonna want to put that in Spoiler tags, not everyone has played inFamous 2 yet, and probably won't appreciate you ruining the ending for them.

Daystar Clarion:
You're gonna want to put that in Spoiler tags, not everyone has played inFamous 2 yet, and probably won't appreciate you ruining the ending for them.

Whoops, just did. (I thought everybody had gotten to it or heard of it by now. Sorry.)

If you want to feel invulnerable and just go on killing sprees, Prototype is a fun game.

For just slaughtering enemies, Orcs Must Die! is very enjoyable.

To feel like the ultimate badass? Batman Arkham Asylum / Batman Arkham City

Fallout 2 + Bloody Mess perk + gauss rifle to the eye.

dreadedcandiru99:

Daystar Clarion:

Whoops, just did. (I thought everybody had gotten to it or heard of it by now. Sorry.)

Don't worry about it, just thought I'd point it out.

We all forget things sometimes :D

Adam Jensen from Deus Ex: HR and Renegade Shepard from Mass Effect - badasses till the end of time. I felt pretty cool as the Courier from New Vegas and as the Dovahkiin in Skyrim, but Jensen and Shepard take the cake.

Feeling pretty badass playing Borderlands with two of my friends at the moment as our double Soldier and Hunter set up.
Crippling most things straight off the bat.

Soon though, the second shall come...
Soon...

I have no idea why, but Bastion makes me feel great inside. Its one of the few games that is (for me anyway) actually challenging, in a good way. You can tweak things to make it harder in a certain way, and beneficial! and the losses don't usually aggravate you. The only times I'm aggravated, are when I tweak the game to make it harder.

number2301:
As a bit of a counterpoint and to cheer me up after the ending of ME3

I haven't finished it yet, but I heard its got great story telling usually meaning good endings! *nudge nudge*

The first things that leap to mind are fighting games and Ninja Gaiden 1/2. They have caveats though in the sense that for them to really make you feel badass, and they absolutely do, you have to put in work on your end. Nothing matches destroying an entire hoard of armed enemies without taking a scratch in the NG games or totally dominating an opponent both in moves but also mentality in a fighting game. No player, however, will truly feel that the first time they pick up the controller simply by any virtue of the game making you feel it.

Ninja Blade made me feel pretty badass. In my opinion there is nothing more badass than crushing a giant spider by riding a wrecking ball into it while wearing pink pinstripes.

I liked Crysis because of how badass you felt when facing human enemies, and the contrast with how small and insignificant you felt fighting the bigger alien exosuits.

Nothing quite like stealthing around cloaked, uncloaking, switching to Strength mode and hurling things at people just for lulz.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked