Pay $1 to unlock all levels

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Let me take you on a journey, friends.

Last night, I was playing 'Cut the Rope'. Well, ZeptoLab releases new levels every once in a while. So, I was looking through the ones I hadn't unlocked and an interesting icon popped up. 'Can't wait?'

It directed me to an Amazon Appstore product 'Star Key'. This unlocks all levels (present and future.)

Now imagine it applied to something larger. Such as a large linear game like Resident Evil 5 (That utilizes levels) and having the option to unlock the rest of the game.

How does that make you feel?

Edit-

Would you want more games to implement this feature? I know many of you are busy and do not have much time to game, or as much.

(Sorry, left it a bit unfinished)

i know that UFC Undisputed 3 does have this feature involved where you can unlock all locked content for 240 microsoft points

I don't really care. If someone wants to pay to skip levels, have at it. I paid $60 to play my game...

I said it in the "Battlefield 3 paid for shortcuts" and I'll say it here:

-If it's single player, do whatever the hell you want.

-If it's multi-player, as long as paid items don't have an advantage over the unlocked ones (or if you just pay to unlock them early), have at it publishers.

I think BlazBlue had DLC where you could auto-unlock the Unlimited versions of characters. I understand that they made these character virtually impossible to unlock without being a fucking fighting game god but the game's not balanced around the unlimited characters... so who cares?

Back in my day, we used cheats if we wanted to unlock everything from the get-go. AND WE LIKED IT!

I kind of miss those days...

*shrug*

I see no harm in it.

How someone else plays their game is their business. I'm not going to go on some childish rant about them not being "hardcore" enough to work for their own enjoyment.

Ive already done that on ModNation. I couldn't be bothered unlocking everything (partly because the difficulty is ridiculous), I just wanted to make stuff. So I paid a couple of quid to unlock everything

Ignore this. :)

I think its a great idea. It has absolutely no effect at all on those who are not interested in paying to unlock stuff and it provides a feature for those who are willing to. Some people would rather spend $5 to unlock everything then 20+ hours that they dont have. Why the hell should I have to spend 20 hours unlocking crap before I am allowed to actually enjoy a game.

scorptatious:
Back in my day, we used cheats if we wanted to unlock everything from the get-go. AND WE LIKED IT!

Haha. Good point. Now we pay to unlock things (well, some do.) Interesting look into how this industry is going.

I like the way TF2 handles it. You can play for free, but if you buy a single thing from the Mann Co. Store, you get the full feature list.

It sounds like it would be acceptable to buy levels when they're released after the release of the game as in DLC but unlocking levels you can unlock through playing the game just sounds like a waste of money. To be fair though, there are millions of people who consider our gaming hobbies to be just as big a waste of money. I'm not against it I guess but I wouldn't use such a feature outside of extra missions not included in the released product (ie: I would buy an extra mission pack for RE5 but I wouldn't buy my way to the final level/boss fight)

scorptatious:

i was thinking something very similar. "so they are charging people for cheat codes now days"

i miss the cheat code days

There's no problem with it inherently. I'm just afraid of the gateway it'll open.

Magic the Gathering has this. If you can't be bothered to grind a deck to unlock all your cards you can buy an unlocked deck for a quid.

scorptatious:

Yep, same here. God or Debug modes on Tenchu doubled the replay value.

Achievement points have done away with that. Games like RE5 give you achievements for reaching certain areas, so paying for all levels would effectively mean paying for achievements.

That being said, would be great to pay for other kinds of cheats. 0.99 is a very cheap price also so I'd be up for it at that amount.

Lucem712:
Now imagine it applied to something larger. Such as a large linear game like Resident Evil 5 (That utilizes levels) and having the option to unlock the rest of the game.

How does that make you feel?

It feels like a waste of money, the levels unlock for free as you pass the previous level.

And as each level get progressively harder, if you couldn't pass level 5 for instance, you probably wouldn't have much fun playing level 7. You'll miss out on all the story and all the gameplay elements designed to teach you how to get past the less trivial challenges.

Back in my day we purchased a game and that was it.

No DLC, no DRM, no online passes and no bullshit....

Might have something to do with not having an internet but that is beside the point. The more I see companies willing to charge for shit the more I see people that gladly throw money at them. No wonder they get away with it, people are happy to pay for pointless shit I guess.

Ehh, why not, Weve let it get this far, lets see what locust like rampant consumerism can go in a limitless intangible medium. I mean sure many people including infants out of neglect will die in the process but hey, If I want to cheat, wheres the harm in that? Surely there isnt a correlation between the rise of digitally distributed media, the increase of micro monetization of gaming and negative human impacts from failings in human nature in prioritization and simple self restraint.

Would make for a fun experiment to say the least.

Generally I don't mind where idiots spend money, but it is sending the accountants a very bad message.
If people pay for XP / unlockables now how long before that is the only option..., heck Valve is doing it already.

If it would exist for other games (like Dragon Age Origins) where I can skip the shit part of the game (like the dwarf part... or the woods part... or the city in Dragon Age Origins) then I'd love it.

Overall: Why not?

Rawne1980:

Might have something to do with not having an internet but that is beside the point. The more I see companies willing to charge for shit the more I see people that gladly throw money at them. No wonder they get away with it, people are happy to pay for pointless shit I guess.

CD-Keys, Expansion packs that were a fucking joke in content and prize, "bonus voice acting" expansion where the developer themselfs stuttered the dialogue... Yup, back then moneygrab did not exist.

Open. Your. Eyes!

tippy2k2:
I don't really care. If someone wants to pay to skip levels, have at it. I paid $60 to play my game...

-If it's multi-player, as long as paid items don't have an advantage over the unlocked ones (or if you just pay to unlock them early), have at it publishers.

Well, in Battlefield it DOES have an advantage. Any moron can fly around in a Jet now and roast people on the ground with Rocket Pods and what not, yet crash immediately afterwords. They jump directly back into the Jet leaving those of us who ACTUALLY KNOW HOW TO FLY THE THINGS, bored out of our minds... also dead. Very, very dead.

Eh, I wouldn't buy it probably so it doesn't really bother me. Other people can pay for it if they like.

TheKasp:

Rawne1980:

CD-Keys, Expansion packs that were a fucking joke in content and prize, "bonus voice acting" expansion where the developer themselfs stuttered the dialogue... Yup, back then moneygrab did not exist.

Open. Your. Eyes!

of course there was money grubbing, it was still a businuss after all. and you didn't have to buy the expansions. there was no dodgy online pass to keep servers up, and then the company take them down anyway, and no DRM that tried to screw you so hard you couldn't sit for weeks.

How's about you open your fucking eyes?

I've got mixed feelings on it. On the one hand it'd be great when you're at a point in a game where you've got a lot of level grinding to do and you're at the point where its taking forever and you don't really care to blow several more hours getting to where you need to be. I think a certain amount of grinding is necessary for the experience but eventually it just gets to be a big pain in the butt. On other hand There people will go through a game and not even put the real effort in and just pay their way through and in the end I suppose there's really nothing wrong with that, some people just don't have the time at all to spend leveling but still want to enjoy the rest of the game. This I think is where achievements and random item rewards can step in and give the core gamers what they need to justify the fact that they're putting in the effort while other people get to level with ease.

TheKasp:

Rawne1980:

Open. Your. Eyes!

We didn't have expansion packs or voice acting ....... in fact CD's were still a pipe dream.

I'm talking wayyyyy back (around the early 80's) when most shit was still black and white stickmen.

Cassettes, cartridges you had to take a running jump to ram into your 2600 and eventually the Floppy Disk.

I think the problem here is that this kind of thing used to be free with cheat codes.

Saying that the buyer has the right to all the content if he purchased the game doesnt make much sense since he still needs to spend more money to unlock them. Its a money grab and because there are a lot of lazy people in the world they will let it slide and help making it standard

Double post ftl. Self-reported for deletion yay.

josemlopes:
I think the problem here is that this kind of thing used to be free with cheat codes.

Saying that the buyer has the right to all the content if he purchased the game doesnt make much sense since he still needs to spend more money to unlock them. Its a money grab and because there are a lot of lazy people in the world they will let it slide and help making it standard

A dollar?

You mean, an entire dollar? Clearly this proves the market is full of corrupt, money-hungry corporate bodies who're ruining the spirit of gaming.

But seriously, my point has already been illustrated.

tippy2k2:

That, and it's entirely optional. If you don't believe it's right, you don't have to partake. So, don't, and don't tell other people what they should or shouldn't be spending their entire dollar on.

Capitano Segnaposto:

tippy2k2:
snip

Well, in Battlefield it DOES have an advantage. Any moron can fly around in a Jet now and roast people on the ground with Rocket Pods and what not, yet crash immediately afterwords. They jump directly back into the Jet leaving those of us who ACTUALLY KNOW HOW TO FLY THE THINGS, bored out of our minds... also dead. Very, very dead.

See, that to me is more "stupid teammates" than broken system.

At level 1 or if I'm over level 9000!!!! (sorry) I can jump into a jet and crash the thing. If the things you are unlocking are items you can unlock during normal play, I have no problem with it. Now, if it gave me a super duper jet with auto-lock and nukes while the normal player gets a normal jet, then we'd have ourselves a problem.

What's the difference between me getting my ass kicked at level 1 because I don't have the weapons to fight and me getting my ass kicked at level...whatever the highest in BF is because I don't know what I'm doing?

TheKasp:

Rawne1980:

Open. Your. Eyes!

Don't even try and compare that to what we have now. Serial keys are still in use today, and expansion packs were released as retail products that continued the story instead of filled in the blanks or gave you 3 new weapons for a low low pricetm.

tippy2k2:

Capitano Segnaposto:

tippy2k2:
snip

See, that to me is more "stupid teammates" than broken system.

At level 1 or if I'm over level 9000!!!! (sorry) I can jump into a jet and crash the thing. If the things you are unlocking are items you can unlock during normal play, I have no problem with it. Now, if it gave me a super duper jet with auto-lock and nukes while the normal player gets a normal jet, then we'd have ourselves a problem.

What's the difference between me getting my ass kicked at level 1 because I don't have the weapons to fight and me getting my ass kicked at level...whatever the highest in BF is because I don't know what I'm doing?

I would say its because someone who's earned the higher levels has had more time to practise, which means you'd get less of a chance of the player being an idiot, which has everyone else concerned.

However, I think the point is moot if someone's complaining about that happening on battlefield three. They already supported EA.

I think Gears 3 did it well. What they did there was they made a special subcriber licence piece of DLC that cost about 20, but it meant that all future DLC would be downloaded automatically and for free. So if you just want the odd dlc, buy the ones you want. But if you want all the DLC, buy the licence

captcha: shaken not stirred

Sansha:

josemlopes:

A dollar?

You mean, an entire dollar? Clearly this proves the market is full of corrupt, money-hungry corporate bodies who're ruining the spirit of gaming.

But seriously, my point has already been illustrated.

tippy2k2:

That, and it's entirely optional. If you don't believe it's right, you don't have to partake. So, don't, and don't tell other people what they should or shouldn't be spending their entire dollar on.

This one was a dollar, how about the other ones?

Like the other guy said, UFC has the same kind of deal for $2, and BF3 for $39.99.

And dont forget that we used to have the same option for free as a cheat code.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked