Pay $1 to unlock all levels

Pages PREV 1 2

As long as I can still unlock them for free by, you know, playing, I don't care.
I thought I'd have a problem with the Battlefield one, but not really. I still get the satisfaction of having the thing I just unlocked appear on my screen after a kill. Company of Heroes Online did this as well, but most people didn't buy the EXP bonuses, especially as you don't get real experience, knowledge you can only get by playing the game.

scorptatious:
Back in my day, we used cheats if we wanted to unlock everything from the get-go. AND WE LIKED IT!

I kind of miss those days...

Yeah, I'm kind of on board with this. In Smash Brothers if you rented the game and didn't have anything unlocked you could just enter a code for everyone so you and your friends could play all characters.

For as long as said game has a way to unlock the content normally, then i wont care whether theres a pay-for shortcut or not.

scorptatious:
Back in my day, we used cheats if we wanted to unlock everything from the get-go. AND WE LIKED IT!

You can partially thank Achievements for the loss of cheaters like Action Replay/Gameshark/Game Genie. I say it was a bad trade off.

I liked what disgaea 3 did, you could pay money to recive bonus chracters that did nothing but be overpowered douchebags. It made the game easier, but they weren't essential.

But then the complete packaged did cost 40 (including the actual expansion pack)

Apparently the vita version has all the dlc for free though

go figure

Crono1973:

scorptatious:

You can partially thank Achievements for the loss of cheaters like Action Replay/Gameshark/Game Genie. I say it was a bad trade off.

Funny thing, I actually like Achievements. Well, mainly the ones in which you have to do something that's out of the way or requires beating a unique challenge.

That being said, I wouldn't mind cheat codes making a come back.

There used to be a cheat code for that ya know. But no I wouldn't, I'm going to play the whole game anyway. The only game I would have done that for is Nightfire when i was ten so I could get past the respawning snipers level.

Its fine as long as its not multiplayer. Stupid in my opinion, but fine. So many games are ruined because you don't have a chance against those people that shelled out an extra $50 for tons of overpowered gear you can't get in game.
Combat Arms I'm looking at you.

scorptatious:

Crono1973:

scorptatious:

Funny thing, I actually like Achievements. Well, mainly the ones in which you have to do something that's out of the way or requires beating a unique challenge.

I think Achievement are nothing more than a glorified High Score Table. If you like them, that's cool but I feel that their desirability is limited and many will soon grow tired of them.

I may be wrong, we'll have to wait and see.

Crono1973:

scorptatious:

Crono1973:

I think Achievement are nothing more than a glorified High Score Table. If you like them, that's cool but I feel that their desirability is limited and many will soon grow tired of them.

Tf2 did it right with unlocks when you get certain achievements

and do you know whats stupid about the achievement blocking cheats thing? the fact that games such as gta and saintsrow do it fine, they just disable them when cheats are activated. Theres a couple of pc games that can disable trpophies at whim depending on if a custom maps in the whitelist in stuff.

Point is, you can just disable achievements when cheats are activated, but no one bothers to try >.>

LightningBanks:

Crono1973:

scorptatious:

Tf2 did it right with unlocks when you get certain achievements

and do you know whats stupid about the achievement blocking cheats thing? the fact that games such as gta and saintsrow do it fine, they just disable them when cheats are activated. Theres a couple of pc games that can disable trpophies at whim depending on if a custom maps in the whitelist in stuff.

Point is, you can just disable achievements when cheats are activated, but no one bothers to try >.>

External cheat devices work on every game, not just the ones with built-in cheats. I don't really care if Achievements are disabled or not, I don't care about Achievements but I don't like that there is this global score that is so sacred that external cheat devices are not allowed. I would opt out of this global score system if I could, that's how little I care about Achievements.

Bit of a non-problem for anything on the PC, although I believe console gamers used to call those "cheat codes" and they were free.

If a AAA game did that I would just tell the devs to fuck off and demand a refund. I'd bring 'em to court over it if I had to. If I didn't demand a refund I'd just crack the game, then play the content already on my drive on my terms.

I would rather jailbreak my device than pay money for what's essentially a cheat code.

There are creative ways of getting people to cough up their money though, I did pay money to get the extra weapons and RIGs in Dead Space 2, not least because it made the first few chapters of Impossible mode easier (yes, I know, I suck -_-)

Lucem712:
Now imagine it applied to something larger. Such as a large linear game like Resident Evil 5 (That utilizes levels) and having the option to unlock the rest of the game.

This is not unprecedented. There have been a number of games with "Time Saver" unlocks for a price.

I'm rather apathetic. This is something I won't pay for, but it doesn't bother me if others do.

TestECull:
If a AAA game did that I would just tell the devs to fuck off and demand a refund. I'd bring 'em to court over it if I had to. If I didn't demand a refund I'd just crack the game, then play the content already on my drive on my terms.

So wait, you'd take them to court over a completely optional unlock pack for things you can still earn in-game?

I think it just opens up a lot of room for abuse, making things stupidly difficult to unlock and then charging money to unlock it more easily.
Eventually it'll be like trying to play a F2P MMO without paying, a massively uphill battle.

scorptatious:

The two aren't entirely mutually exclusive. Both GTAIV and the last two (Maybe all three) Saints Row titles had cheats that handled this well.

Of course, Saints Row 3 also added the concept of "pay to cheat," many of those cheats being ones we'd had free access to in SR2. So even then, they're shifting to a different format. I don't blame achievements, though. The only stuff that is truly verboten is the Gameshark/AR style stuff, and those were endangered the minute leaderboards game into benig.

idk if I would like level unlocks but deff weapon unlocks. can you imagine playing RE5 for the first time with unlimited rockets! lol

Bring back good ol' cheat codes, that's what I say.

I loved a good cheat code. Infinitely improved the longevity of a game. And a survey I held at my college a few years back found that the variety of cheat codes in a game really factored in the chance of someone buying it. Because it'd give them shit to do when they didn't want to play the game properly.

Take GTA vice city, san andreas, III, II, I. Cheats galore! They were so glorious and fun to play with. I wasted hours just messing around with the cheats!

Sadly GTA 4 threw it all out the window, with a narrow selection of cheats, that were only temporary at best, and you couldn't access them when you wanted because of that stupid phone mechanic. I,e you want the restore health cheat to be available in the heat of battle, right after you've lured 10,000 police officers into your rocket launchers blast radius. But no, we got no such treat. The cheat is unusable while under fire... Now we have to resort to dodgy native trainers to edit the games values to cheat. Sure trainers are awesome, especially the GTA4 one, with many, many awesome functions, but It makes me sad.

I maintain what I have always said. In a singleplayer game, let the player fuck shit up, and go off the beaten track. In Multiplayer, you play by the freaking rules.

Uh no, I'd rather advance by earning it the proper way, ie beating the previous levels.

I think that, with single-player games at least, you should have all levels unlocked from the get-go. Or, if you like the sense of accomplishment, have a little option in a menu that lets you unlock all levels.

Let's say I'm playing a platformer, and I hate, hate, hate the underwater levels. I payed for game, why can't I skip the underwater levels? If a movie gets all sappy and dull, or a book gets into a long-winded diversion, I can skip those bits. I don't see why games should be any different.

It's bullshit when a game forces you to slog through shitty bits in order to reach fun bits. Just let me skip past them, it'll be better for everyone. If I could of, I would probably have skipped some of Mass' Effects combat, since I found it quite difficult at some points (the first one, I found the others easier). I just wanted to get to the next talky point with Garrus and Wrex, but the game was forcing me to shoot dudes in generic corridors, again.

But unlocking all of the features is part of the fun, right?

Zachary Amaranth:

TestECull:

So wait, you'd take them to court over a completely optional unlock pack for things you can still earn in-game?

The implication is that you can't run the levels at all unless you pay. If they're just offering an option setup and still allowing you to beat the levels manually I wouldn't care.

TestECull:

The implication is that you can't run the levels at all unless you pay. If they're just offering an option setup and still allowing you to beat the levels manually I wouldn't care.

What about this

Lucem712:

Last night, I was playing 'Cut the Rope'. Well, ZeptoLab releases new levels every once in a while. So, I was looking through the ones I hadn't unlocked and an interesting icon popped up. 'Can't wait?'

It directed me to an Amazon Appstore product 'Star Key'. This unlocks all levels (present and future.)

Implies that you can't run the levels at all unless you pay?

Or this?

Now imagine it applied to something larger. Such as a large linear game like Resident Evil 5 (That utilizes levels) and having the option to unlock the rest of the game.

Emphasis mine.

And to clarify, you can run the levels on cut the rope without paying (Since this evidently wasn't obvious from the original post).

I wouldn't be that bothered. I'd never pay it myself, or use such a feature, but if other people want to ruin their progression and experience I say they can. It's not a competition, it's for personal enjoyment, so I really don't care.

EDIT: And for the record, the multiplayer equivalent of this - being able to buy weapons/loadouts/whatever early - I do despise, but in the end, same thing. I'll probably be the more satisfied customer.

I personally have no issue with it, and may end up using it one day.

Cut the Rope is literally a waste of money, if you can't do the earlier levels then you certainly wouldn't be able to do the later.

Other games, such as Burnout: Paradise or the used example Battlefield 3 definitely have a place.

Unlocking all the cars removes the need to repeat races (i.e. coming back to get gold times impossible with start cars) and unlocking all weapons removes the slog through the peashooters and gives you the rottweilers immediately.

In Battlefield 3, I think it has even more of a place. One of the biggest deterrent for new adoption of an existing online game is the disparity between veteran and beginner, so if the playing field can be leveled somewhat I don't know why there is an issue.

Additionally, purists will use this tool to skip the Death:Kill skew present with poor weaponry and begin honing their statistics immediately.

EA have done well in delaying the weapon unlock packs a suitable period of time so the game wasn't segmented immediately, and now just offer an alternative. It depends on how much you value your time.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked