Hating Your Customers Okay?

Pages PREV 1 2

And this is why I like Bathesda/Obsidian.

Yeah their games are buggy but after they sell them to you they say "hey guys, here are some tools. Play with our game and do whatever the frack you like. Mod it, slap pretty pink tutu's on the characters .. anything you want".

To add to the "EA is evil" debate.

If any EA game was to come with modding tools you know damn well they would charge for it.

The game industry does it because they know they can get away with it. They know that despite what we may say, the vast majority of us are just going to keep buying their games no matter what they do. The worst part is that we're so willing to take this crap. I've been increasingly sticking to indie titles lately because I don't want to be a part of it anymore. But for every person like me there's another 10 to replace us.

If we just stopped paying them to disrespect us then they'd stop being dicks, but we keep giving them money.

Captcha is "baby steps", seems appropriate.

Yeah, it's Ok to hate your customers or at least resent them... secretly.

Don't treat them like shit.

Enzo Ferrari despised his customers. Ferrari didn't like that people were buying his cars based on brand prestige. The man built race cars and had a passion for racing and viewed selling his cars to a public as necessary evil required to keep his company and passion alive.

If Bioware thinks their Mass Effect games are some sort of art with the ME3 ending representing some deep emotional blah blah then fine, they can go ahead and hate you guys, but they need to do it behind closed doors.

LiquidSolstice:
You know, without fail, it seems to be that the only people who have issues with EA and Ubisoft are PC gamers. I know this sounds like flamebait, but every time I see one of these Fuck EA or Down with Ubisoft type of threads, I always have to think back as to what EA or Ubisoft Xbox game has ever made me disappointed or angry at the game industry, and I can't really seem to find out.

A lot of hate is for their bad customer support, so even if you own a console game you might still someday run into a problem where you might have to call them.

LiquidSolstice:

Hazy992:

krazykidd:

That unfortunately proves nothing . And i always find it funny that people always use that argument to disprove something. " well i'm an expetion so you must be wrong".

He said that only PC gamers seem to have a problem with EA. I said I'm not one and I still have a problem with EA. I was using myself as an example, and I don't see the problem

You omitted the word "seems to be" from my post. I didn't state it as fact. I said it "seems to be". If I said you "seem to have testicular cancer" that doesn't automatically mean you have testicular cancer. Makes sense?

It wasn't supposed to be flamebait, and I'm not going to follow through with it and heckle anyone for what they think. I stated my observations and that's all there was to it.

Uhh no I didn't. I didn't write out verbatim but I said 'he said only PC gamers seem to have a problem with EA'. Read it again. And I'm sorry but making sweeping generalisations like that is flamebaiting.

I honestly can't comprehend a game company treating their customer like shit. It makes no fucking sense. This is an environment where, if your customer doesn't want to deal with your bullshit, he can go somewhere else, and get your product without paying you for it, with little effort involved on their part. Surely you should be giving these customers a reason to give you their money?

LiquidSolstice:
You know, without fail, it seems to be that the only people who have issues with EA and Ubisoft are PC gamers. I know this sounds like flamebait, but every time I see one of these Fuck EA or Down with Ubisoft type of threads, I always have to think back as to what EA or Ubisoft Xbox game has ever made me disappointed or angry at the game industry, and I can't really seem to find out.

Not always true, EA package with their console games online activation codes that in most cases cost an extra $10 to purchase from a used copy, and in some cases can't be replaced at all thus leaving the thrifty console gamer offline forever until they buy a New copy. EA as just about as massive pricks to everyone equally.

And Ubisoft, well they don't hate us. They're just stupid.

EDIT: Sorry, meant Ubisoft, I had a little slip on my own personal bias I'm struggling against Bioware with that is completely off my topic.

zarguhl:

It seems to be a symptom not of gaming specifically, but of all businesses related to copyrighted works. Film and music companies have a similar attitude of contempt/disdain. Now that gaming companies are getting bigger, they seem to have taken it on.

*snip*

However when you get into the category of art, you're suddenly in a different environment. If you like a song by John Smith, but his recording company are arseholes, you can't just go and buy a song by Jane Doe and have more or less the same thing. If you like one kind of art, you have to buy it from who supplies it.

Movies and TV shows are the same, if you want to watch Game of Thrones, you won't settle for another show instead just because you don't like HBO.

You stumble upon the curse of Digital Goods, and the Natural Monopoly.
The problem with these goods, is that it's polarized heavily in favor of Supply or in favor of Demand.

Eliminate copyright, and you end up with what I call a "Martyr's Market" that behaves very similarly to the Used Game market initially, and then behaves like Software Piracy (but remember that those two are NOT THE SAME. Math proves it).
In economic terms, the goods behave like Public Goods after a short time, and are subject to Tragedy of the Commons.

Retain Copyright, and the ball is entirely in Supply's court. With the virtual monopoly, you run into escalating control problems. The prospect of (theoretical) infinite revenues from the same goods is just too tempting, and they will abuse the market until it rejects their bullshit.

Is there any escape from that trend? Probably not, without taking each individual and making them sane and thus less likely to operate in that manner.

So until that occurs, the enmity between customers and gaming companies is unlikely to be resolved.

There is no solution except for companies and consumers to agree to a common middle ground.

It is 100% normal, and even healthy, to hate your customers. At every job I've ever had, I've spent most of the day hating my customers. They're people who keep putting demands on you. They suck up your time and energy, when you'd rather be doing anything else. It's annoying. THEY are annoying.

But there's a line between "hating your customers" and "actually radiating contempt for your customers in a palpable way". The former is fine. The latter is a business no-no. It's why people hire PR firms or have marketing divisions, or specifically hire chummy people to deal with the customers. Because they can't count on the ordinary chodes who make up the rank and file to keep their simmering resentment under wraps.

Gaming companies do seem to enjoy more leeway for battering and maligning their customers than most, and gamers as a community seem to enjoy lapping it up, at least to the extent that a certain segment of the community is happy to take part in their own flagellation. It's an interesting inversion of the customer/business relationship, where the common perception is that they're doing US a favor by letting us buy their products and keep them in business.

Buretsu:

girzwald:

Buretsu:
I'd probably hate my customers too, if all they did was complain about everything I ever did, demand that I give them something for nothing, grudge my efforts to make any sort of profit, and conspire to gain use of my product with minimal or no compensation for my efforts.

Then maybe you should stop doing things to piss your customers off? Stop taking without ever giving back. Stop pumping out crappy products filled with DRM, bugs, and half assed content, and then whine that your game only made X amount of money instead of X with 3 additional zeros. And then scapegoat the pirates when they are a minimal impact of your profits, while punishing your loyal customers and a futile effort to stop pirates.

DRM is a DIRECT response to piracy, and while everybody seems to want to marginalize this problem, it is a problem. What are companies supposed to do, when people defend piracy like it's actually morally appropriate? Consumers are increasingly 2-faced about consumerism, flipping the bird with one hand while patting companies on the back with the other. People who can't seem to live their lives without a $400 iPhone in their pocket, even while they bemoan the "evils" of capitalism.

This reminds me of blizzard. Despite what they say, they do NOT appreciate customer feedback, they in fact resent it, because it conflicts with "their" design and "their" vision. And its the same with pretty much all video game companies. Rather than take their customer complaints and improve themselves and their products....they bitch about it. They want to do things THEIR way, cause they know better, and the customer is just a retard.

The customer is not a genius. The customer is a shallow entitled dipshit who think that their every opinion is an indisputable fact, and will complain about anything that varies from that. Trying to win them over is like cooking dinner for a hydra whose heads never agree on anything. For every group of customers who want one thing, you'll find an equally vehement group who want the exact opposite.

You know what a customer complaint is? Feedback. A chance to improve or fix something. Ever notice how so many food products you buy have a 800 number and an address on it? They are BEGGING for peoples feedback so they can improve their products or make stuff that YOU want to buy. I've even seen some new products the big manufactures are putting out, going a step further. They slap a big portion of the back of the box saying, "HEY, TELL US WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS NEW PRODUCT, WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU".

Newsflash! Food and video games are entirely different things! Okay, I'll give you a couple seconds to recover from the mind blowing. Okay? Okay. The creative process for coming up with a new food item and a new video game are completely seperate undertakings. New food products are created in limited batches for consumer testing and approval. General Mills wants to try a new brand of cereal, they turn one or two of their factory machines over to making it. If not enough people end up liking it, they stop production and lose very little money on their failed attempts because the most they have to make up is a loss of production time, and payment to the chefs and engineers who created the new cereal and converted the machines into making it.

Game companies, on the contrary, have a much longer, much more involved, and much more expensive process to create a new game, and if it's not well received, then that's millions of dollars that essentially will never be made back after they have to pay an entire suite of creative directors, producers, animators, voice talent, etc etc.

All the while, video game companies spit at their customers feedback and opinions. Rather than looking inward and looking at their mistakes and what they are doing wrong, they blame the customer for being unpleaseable. Bullshit. No, you can't please all the people all the time. But you can please most of the people most of the time.

And everybody who isn't pleased is drawing up petitions and making cupcakes and filing complaints with the FCC about how they're obviously right, and everybody else was wrong, so things need to be changed to suit their particular ideas.

You want proof that big companies don't listen to their customers and only do what THEY think is best? Half-life 2 episode 3 and FF7 remake.

HL2:E3 is a bad example, because everyone knows it's coming, they're just getting their panties in a bunch because Valve is taking their time to make sure that it's properly awesome, because if even a small group are disappointed with the game, their offices and homes will end up torched by pitchfork-brandishing fans.

And don't even get me started on the bastion of utter mediocrity that was Final Fantasy VII, and the suggestion that they should remake the cancer that ate away at the series just to suit the small number of loyal fanboys who are still nostalgia-blinded by that game....

What are companies supposed to do about piracy? Something I imagine. But when that something ONLY hinders pirates for a day, and inconveniences your honest customers for the rest of existence....its retarded.

"The customer is not a genius" Thanks for proving my point. Even you are infected with this mentality. That the consumer is nothing but a rube and the people at the top need to tell them whats good for them. How insulting. Even if the customer is "not a genius", it doesn't matter, the customer knows what they want and what they like. How much a genius are you if you pump out a product that the consumer doesn't like? If you are in a business trying to make something you want the consumer to like, instead of making a product the consumer wants, you are doing it wrong. So, you're wrong there.

Video games aren't like cereal? WOW YOU BLEW MY MIND MAAAAAAAAAAAAN. No dur. Your point would be sound if I compared the development cycles and costs of producing each product. But wait, I DIDN'T. I compared how each company REACTS to feedback and failure/success of their products. How General Mills BEGS for your feedback, that nobody will give and how a company like blizzard shuns it. Maybe less video games would suck and fail to make money if they stopped treating them like cash cows that you can pump out a turd that your non genius customers will lap up and then rake in the dough. So you are wrong there too.

Oh and we all know episode 3 is on the way? Really? Got a estimated release date? How about some development screenshots? No? Oh, all you have is a fat slob telling us "you know the answer". Such confirmation. And you are entitled to your incorrect opinion of FF7, but regardless, that fanbase is much larger than you would like to admit. And even if it was medicore......its a lot better than the crap squareenix has been pumping out since FFX. And its what the fanbase has been clamoring for. And its not like they aren't planning on remaking other FF's.........just not 7. Which don't have even half the fanbase.

So much for "Capitalism is good because only companies which are good to their customers will succeed!"

Yeah, bollocks to that. Most of us are too numb from being fucked all our lives to realise that we're being fucked.

One thing that pisses me off is that all the passwords and stuff mean that those out there who RENT games can't enjoy the full game. Battlefield 3, for example, blocks online and co-op, the big selling points to the game, unless you buy it new.

Now, (and this is probably bad) I get online passes for almost every game since I work at Blockbuster. So thankfully, I can enjoy these features most of the time when I get a game from work. However, there are a lot people who rely on renting a game to see if they like it. I had planned on possibly getting BF3 if I enjoyed the online, but guess what, I couldn't, because there was a code that wasn't included in the box. I warn people away from renting it now because of the $10 online pass, and have no knowledge on the series.

These passes really are just the game companies saying "we don't trust you, but we want more money from you, now buy our product you sheep," then get mad when we spend money on the used titles for $15, rather than spend the required $100 to get it new with everything unlocked.

girzwald:
"The customer is not a genius" Thanks for proving my point. Even you are infected with this mentality. That the consumer is nothing but a rube and the people at the top need to tell them whats good for them. How insulting. Even if the customer is "not a genius", it doesn't matter, the customer knows what they want and what they like. How much a genius are you if you pump out a product that the consumer doesn't like? If you are in a business trying to make something you want the consumer to like, instead of making a product the consumer wants, you are doing it wrong. So, you're wrong there.

You're assuming that all customers magically happen to want the same thing, when the simple fact is that they don't. There's no single, shining idea of what's "best" for the game, when personal opinion can run any of a hundred different ways. And even when there's a vocal majority, it's usually only to say "We don't like XX." instead of "We don't like XX, you should have YY and ZZ instead." People are so enamored with "change" as a concept to realize that you kind of have to have an idea of what to change TO. It's like going to a restaurant and getting asked what you'd like, and you pointing at one item on the menu and going "Not that."

It's kind of hard for companies to react to feedback when it's pulling them in multiple different directions and they can't know which of these directions will completely alienate a chunk of the fanbase, especially given how quick they are to throw their hands up and go "Never buying XXX company's games ever again!" So they can either bend over backwards to please one group of customers while pissing off all the rest, or they can just go with their own vision of the game without rocking the boat too much.

Video games aren't like cereal? WOW YOU BLEW MY MIND MAAAAAAAAAAAAN. No dur. Your point would be sound if I compared the development cycles and costs of producing each product. But wait, I DIDN'T. I compared how each company REACTS to feedback and failure/success of their products. How General Mills BEGS for your feedback, that nobody will give and how a company like blizzard shuns it.

General Mills can react to feedback much easier than game companies can. Lots of complaints that their cereal is too sweet? They make a new formula with less sugar, and production begins anew. Because they're required to have consistency, since they're continually producing a product. General Mills know that if you like their cereal, you'll keep buying box after box of it, and the customer is now a steady stream of revenue. The business model for a video game is completely different, as an individual customer isn't going to buy a given game more than once. Minor changes can be made with a patch or a DLC, but major ones would often require a re-writing of large chunks of the game's code, which is an investment of time and money that doesn't provide a return beyond a general notion of "goodwill", which is immediately balanced out to zero or less from all the people who didn't want the change, or wanted a completely different change because, again, customers aren't willing to let go of their notion of how a game "needs" to be changed.

Maybe less video games would suck and fail to make money if they stopped treating them like cash cows that you can pump out a turd that your non genius customers will lap up and then rake in the dough. So you are wrong there too.

To paraphrase MiB, the individual customer is smart. In groups, they're dumb, panicky animals who overreact to new stimuli and just want the same, safe, comfortable crap they've always known. Which brings us nicely around to a discussion of FFVII!

And you are entitled to your incorrect opinion of FF7

Point of fact: Opinions, by their very definition, cannot be incorrect.

, but regardless, that fanbase is much larger than you would like to admit.

But not large enough for a worthwhile profit.

And even if it was medicore......its a lot better than the crap squareenix has been pumping out since FFX.

Go back to the part where I called FFVII the cancer that destroyed the series, as VI was pretty much the peak, and the rest has just been a generally downward slide since then.

And its what the fanbase has been clamoring for. And its not like they aren't planning on remaking other FF's.........just not 7. Which don't have even half the fanbase.

I'd like to see your source on this, because everything I've heard suggests that remaking an old game with PS3-era graphics would take far too long and cost too much to ever be profitable. And how many fans do you think would be satisfied with FFVII, with minor graphical tweaks, released for the Nintendo 3DS, or even the Nintendo Wii U?

girzwald:

Then maybe you should stop doing things to piss your customers off? Stop taking without ever giving back. Stop pumping out crappy products filled with DRM, bugs, and half assed content, and then whine that your game only made X amount of money instead of X with 3 additional zeros. And then scapegoat the pirates when they are a minimal impact of your profits, while punishing your loyal customers and a futile effort to stop pirates.

This reminds me of blizzard. Despite what they say, they do NOT appreciate customer feedback, they in fact resent it, because it conflicts with "their" design and "their" vision. And its the same with pretty much all video game companies. Rather than take their customer complaints and improve themselves and their products....they bitch about it. They want to do things THEIR way, cause they know better, and the customer is just a retard.

Sorry but nearly all of those crybabies are retards. Spending your money blind without any information about the quality of the game is retarded.

And yeah, Blizz is in the position they are in because for the most part they did not listen to their customers. Because the customer does not know what's best.

You know what a customer complaint is? Feedback. A chance to improve or fix something. Ever notice how so many food products you buy have a 800 number and an address on it? They are BEGGING for peoples feedback so they can improve their products or make stuff that YOU want to buy. I've even seen some new products the big manufactures are putting out, going a step further. They slap a big portion of the back of the box saying, "HEY, TELL US WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS NEW PRODUCT, WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU". All the while, video game companies spit at their customers feedback and opinions. Rather than looking inward and looking at their mistakes and what they are doing wrong, they blame the customer for being unpleaseable. Bullshit. No, you can't please all the people all the time. But you can please most of the people most of the time.

Really? You call that "feedback"? Because it's not feedback. Feedback is not whining like an entitled asshole, attacking people personally and behaving like fecies-throwing apes.

You want proof that big companies don't listen to their customers and only do what THEY think is best? Half-life 2 episode 3 and FF7 remake.

Yeah, because most of the customers are, again, retards who have no fucking clue what it would take to remake FF7.

And Valve is such a wrong example. They are where they are because they listen to customers.

Valanthe:
You see the issue with your example is in your analogy, the example provided by the OP would be the same as taking that car and swapping out parts and modifying it to suit your needs. That is what people are doing to the Singleplayer portion of Mass Effect 3, They are modifying it to suit their needs, they are not redistributing it, they are not hacking the multiplayer to give themselves an unfair advantage (some of them do, but that is not the topic under discussion) and they are -not- damaging the company, or their IP in -any- way shape or form. Unless you would agree with having your car repossesses, and being blacklisted from purchasing or driving another vehicle of that brand for adding some after market parts to it, I cannot figure how you could support it.

You are correct, the issue is people hacking/modding the SP. In a perfect world those who simply want to put in a new texture pack or what not could do so in peace while those who are actively trying to reverse engineer the game, or specific aspects of the game, would be punished. Alas this is not a perfect world. If the publishers do not do everything in their power to prevent any hacking/modding then it becomes exponentially harder to go after those suspected of doing so in order to steal proprietary information.

And actually the EULA is a piece of trash I simply cannot for the life of me wrap my head around, if a car company made you sign a waiver stating that you would under no circumstances tamper with your vehicle in any way, or if they tried to say "we have the right to reposses your vehicle at any moment with or without warning or reason" -every- single person (or at least the moderately intelligent ones) would flip that company the bird and they would go under. So how is it that a software company is allowed to do -exactly- that, when you buy their product (a disc, inside a box) and get away with it scott free?

Because the difference is that the car company is not responsible for anything after it has been established that the car was in working order when it left the lot. States have a EULA for cars. It is called a driver's license. By getting a driver's license you are agreeing to follow state driving laws or face punishment ranging from fines, impounding, and jail time. The state's EULA does cover what mods you can and cannot put on a car as well. Just saying. But as I said before I don't particularly agree with it but the fact remains that they say we have bought a license for the software not a physical good. That is why analogies are hard to make, outside of the software industry this does not happen.

As for the original question, I work in retail, and if I ever treated my customers the way big game companies treat theirs, I'd have my arse fired in under a week. I may be cynical and jaded about my customers (comes with the experience, unfortunately) but I would -never- blame them for draconian policies, I would never brush them off and never ever ever would I not only refuse to discuss their complaint, but threaten to take their purchase away if they tried to continue said discussion. To do any of these would be career suicide, and based on my knowledge of how customers react when they don't get their way, I doubt I'd walk away from doing that in one piece.

I think you are coming from this in a different direction than I am. I have worked in customer service at one job and in a hotel at another. This might be because of my personal work experience while it sounds like you were/are a sales associate, but I am perfectly ok with shutting down a conversation/argument if what happened was not the companies fault or if the customer is trying to do something against company policy. This authority/confidence might just come from training, but as long as you follow company policy and respond to the situation in a calm, cool, and collected manner the company will back you and the customer is powerless. It seems as if you have fallen into the misconception that the customer is always right and the company will not back you even if you are right.

As for the draconian policies, I don't blame the customer for them but I am obligated to ensure the customers follow them. There were several times that guests tried to do something that was against the contract they signed to stay at the hotel I worked at and I had to deal with it. The conversations were routine in their basic forms.

*Customer* I do what I want and you deal with it.
*Me* The contract you signed clearly states you will not do X in our hotel.
*Customer* So what?
*Me* So cease and desist or GTFO and lose your deposit.
*Customer* Fine...

Everything you said should not be done just happened in that conversation. I refused to discuss their complaint and threated to take away their purchase if they continued to argue with me as they would still be doing the action that was against the contract. And you know what? The company backed me every time.

BloatedGuppy:
It is 100% normal, and even healthy, to hate your customers. At every job I've ever had, I've spent most of the day hating my customers. They're people who keep putting demands on you. They suck up your time and energy, when you'd rather be doing anything else. It's annoying. THEY are annoying.

But there's a line between "hating your customers" and "actually radiating contempt for your customers in a palpable way". The former is fine. The latter is a business no-no. It's why people hire PR firms or have marketing divisions, or specifically hire chummy people to deal with the customers. Because they can't count on the ordinary chodes who make up the rank and file to keep their simmering resentment under wraps.

Gaming companies do seem to enjoy more leeway for battering and maligning their customers than most, and gamers as a community seem to enjoy lapping it up, at least to the extent that a certain segment of the community is happy to take part in their own flagellation. It's an interesting inversion of the customer/business relationship, where the common perception is that they're doing US a favor by letting us buy their products and keep them in business.

I'm sure glad I never had to experience the joys of working in retail. Good answer.

I can only add that a business can never underestimate it's customers enough. A product or service is never too easy to use, only too difficult.

Massive boycotts send a pretty clear signal to pretty much anyone being boycotted. Thing is, people aren't ready to commit to something like that yet. Things need to get much, much, worse before people begin taking an active role in...well, basically anything.

TheKasp:

girzwald:

Sorry but nearly all of those crybabies are retards. Spending your money blind without any information about the quality of the game is retarded.

And yeah, Blizz is in the position they are in because for the most part they did not listen to their customers. Because the customer does not know what's best.

You know what a customer complaint is? Feedback. A chance to improve or fix something. Ever notice how so many food products you buy have a 800 number and an address on it? They are BEGGING for peoples feedback so they can improve their products or make stuff that YOU want to buy. I've even seen some new products the big manufactures are putting out, going a step further. They slap a big portion of the back of the box saying, "HEY, TELL US WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS NEW PRODUCT, WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU". All the while, video game companies spit at their customers feedback and opinions. Rather than looking inward and looking at their mistakes and what they are doing wrong, they blame the customer for being unpleaseable. Bullshit. No, you can't please all the people all the time. But you can please most of the people most of the time.

Really? You call that "feedback"? Because it's not feedback. Feedback is not whining like an entitled asshole, attacking people personally and behaving like fecies-throwing apes.

Yeah, because most of the customers are, again, retards who have no fucking clue what it would take to remake FF7.

And Valve is such a wrong example. They are where they are because they listen to customers.

Thank you for proving my point once again. I thoroughly enjoy confirmation that I am right. The customer doesn't know whats best? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The customer knows whats best because they know what they want! They may not be able to articulate it very well, but they still know what they want.

And no, blizzard is in the position they are in because they only know how to swing the pendulum either all the way one way or the other. They don't know how to only change things a little, or try to accommodate as many people as possible. The problem is they only listen to 1 segment of their customers at a time. Some people found wrath too easy, so " teh hardcore" bitched. So they made cata harder to please "teh hardcore", forgoing the people who found wrath to be just right. Instead of trying to please both, normal modes for regualr people, hardcore modes for teh hardcore. And again, no, you cannot please all the people all the time, but you can please most of the people most of the time.

Maybe you should look up what the word feedback means. Let me help you. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/feedback?s=t

3. "a reaction or response to a particular process or activity"

"whining like an entitled asshole, attacking people personally and behaving like fecies-throwing apes" is still feedback. Feedback is not required to be in the format of 5 page essay, with a "strongly worded, yet polite, letter" theme in order to be feedback. Once again, it is the video game developers problem when they take ANY negative feedback, and then ironically, bitch about it themselves. The problem is not properly analyzing that feedback, and reacting accordingly trying to correct the thing that solicited that feedback. Even if it is "a bunch of bitching".

And I have no idea what it would take to remake FF7? Really? I have no idea? And I suppose you do? Gimme a freaken break. Could it be any harder than making a regular video game from scratch? I doubt it. You've already got the structure for the game in place. Characters, story, locations etc. You are aware that squareenix has already remade other FF for the DS right? They also plan on a group up HD remake of FF10. Your point sir, it is invalid.

And valve isn't where they are because "they listen to customers". Because if that were true, they'd be bigger than any other studio, because the others don't listen. No, they are where they are because......they're there?

girzwald:

Strain42:
Companies are allowed to hate their customers all they want, and vice versa. So long as people are buying their games, they don't care how we feel about them, and I don't see how we should care how they feel about us.

If I woke up tomorrow to see a letter from Atlus that said they hated us and thought that every single person who played their game were nothing more than useless weaboos who will only cuddle their Japanese love pillows and live in their Mom's basement...well...the first thing I'd do is check if we'd gone back in time to April 1st, the second thing I would do is probably giggle because I'd assume it's a joke

and the third thing I'd do is...nothing. Even if every single employee at Atlus hand wrote me a letter telling me I sucked and they hated me, it wouldn't stop me from buying their games. Because they release good games.

Then im sorry, but that makes you the hugest tool in the world. And no, that's not a troll. That's pretty much the definition of a tool, in this context.

Being able to separate the professional from the personal does not make me a tool. It makes me smart enough to make decisions by examining the facts at hand.

Is a good game somehow worse just because the people who made it don't like me?

Yeah, if something like this happened, I might take down my "I love Atlus" flag, but what possible impact could their feelings towards me have on whether or not the game is any good?

Basically what I'm saying is that it's one thing if the developer acts like a jerk, hates their customers and those feelings are apparent in the games they release (or in certain cases don't release. See: Capcom) then it's a different story.

But I play games because I like good games. I'm not going to let something silly like an invisible bond between developer and player keep me from enjoying good games.

And if I ever did get to the point where I was so petty that I would let personal feelings about a developer keep me from buying a game that I want, I'd just buy it used. Isn't that what a lot of gamers do now anyways?

This is why I love CD Projekt Red. They actually seem to care about their customers and what they want.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked