Do you have the right to sell and play used games?
Yes, I bought the game, I should be able to sell it!
75.8% (350)
75.8% (350)
No, the gaming companies own the content.
3.9% (18)
3.9% (18)
Maybe I don
0.6% (3)
0.6% (3)
I have no opinion on anything, and just like clicking buttons.
3.7% (17)
3.7% (17)
I could care less, I only buy new games.
15.6% (72)
15.6% (72)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: The End of the Used Game Resale is Nigh! (bring out your dead .. Ding)

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Rumors are floating about how the PS4 and the next generation of XBOX will have security measures meant to thwart piracy, however the downside is that you wouldn't be able to buy used games, or sell your old ones. There is talk about possibly being able to play the single player of these used games, but to go online with a used or rented copy, you would have to pay more to get online. Don't believe this? Read where I gathered this Cliff Notes synopsis:

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/hello-brave-world-console-gaming-003839870.html

There is a huge market for used games. If not used then a lot of people wait for games to hit bargain prices (thankyou Amazon).

Not everyone is willing to spend 40 on a brand sparkly new game. Not everyone can afford to spend it.

I can afford it and I sometimes wait for bargain prices (again, thankyou Amazon) or get them used. Some games just aren't worth forking over 40 for.

As for the "next gen" of consoles ... well I won't be wasting my money on them anyway.

It's like i've said in arguments before, and a point a lot of people seem to overlook. If you take away used games then day one sales will not rise by all that much. Some people just won't buy them full stop.

A few games I have purchased used over the years I only did so because they were cheap and I happened to notice them. If I hadn't seen them used for a few quid then I wouldn't have got them in the first place.

The more money they try and squeeze out of the gamers the less they will make. Sooner or later it will hit a point where a chunk of folk just refuse to pay out any more than it's worth.

I totally agree with what you said. I mean, I applaud them in trying to get rid of some of the pirating so that the costs to make games go down, so perhaps the cost to buy them will go down. But if you are faced with no resale value, many people are going to shy away from buying new games that they might have purchased otherwise.

But like was mentioned this mostly effects the console market, but I hear some PC games are doing something like this in the near future. For example, the latest Batman game had some bonus content that when you bought the game you got a code to put in online and get the Catwoman content. So the next guy that gets the game used would of been denied that part of the game.

If a person has a copy of a game they don't want any more, and I want to pay them money for it, why shouldn't I be able to play it?

Because the developers aren't getting money from it?

WUT!?!?!?!? O_o

I mean......WHUT!?!?!?!?

I can see the dislike in losing sales over companies like gamestop that push used over new, so why can't we just.....BAN STORES FROM SELLING USED then? Why can't I borrow games from my friends? How is that a crime?

Well, on one hand it's sad to see how many gaming "journalists" support this and how little most gamers care for their customer rights, but on the other i'm pretty glad to see major publishers and retailers at eachother's throats, since both are scum.

I don't have money to hurl around buying games 40 new all the time, and when I do I usually factor in what money I'll get back if I trade it in or sell it back. If they get rid of that, I just won't buy the damn things until they hit stupidly cheap prices.

And as for only being able to play the single player content with a pre-owned copy (if thats the option they are going for), don't a certain hated and despised publisher already do this?

While I mostly buy new games, I shouldn't be robbed of the option to hand back my copy to a game store. And besides, why in the world do games like Uncharted 3, which are already bound to sell millions in the first few weeks due to brand recognition and huge marketing campaigns, need to lock their online components behind 16-digit codes and $10 for those that didn't buy the game completely brand new?

I want to trade in my used games, I should be allowed to do so. I want to borrow or lend a game from or to a friend, I should still have the ability to do so.

Anyway 90% of the games I buy are brand new. I usually WAIT. That's the thing. Wait for a few months and the price drops shockingly.

These developers/publishers are going completely the wrong way to fighting this sort of thing.

if they were to block used game, piracy would rise

If i pay 40 for a game, that game becomes my property. If i want to sell the game on then i should be able to. If a publisher doesn't like this then too bad. Welcome to capitalism

I have used this analogy before and I will use it again. If a carpenter makes a table and sells it to me, it is then my property, and I am free to do with it as I please. If I wish to sell this table to someone else, there is no reason he should be seeing any money from it. He has made his money from the sale already. If the carpenter demanded a cut of that money, any sane person would, in so many words, tell the carpenter to go eff themself.

This applies to used ANYTHING. Screw this anti-used games maneuvering by publishers. I generally buy my games brand new. I am still a big buyer of physical media. Books, CD's, Vinyl, Games, Blurays, Books... If I'm going to pay for that stuff, I want it new so I can say that copy is MINE, but should I choose to buy a used copy of anything, the choice should be mine and mine alone and I should not be treated like I am scum for doing so, which is exactly what Publishers are now doing, treating any used buyers like scum by removing the ability to access content that they SHOULD be able to use.

This whole thing stinks. I await a second crash with glee. And yes, I realise the inherent hypocrisy in me still giving my money to these corporations rather than "voting with my wallet." I don't see why my experience should be compromised just because the heads of these corporations have no sense of righteousness.

I hate to be 'that guy', but the correct phrase is 'couldn't care less'. Sorry, it just drives me crazy

Thing is there is very few games worth buying new, there are maybe 4 games this year worth buying. The rest i will get used or rent. With alot of games being completable in 10 hours i just dont think thats worth 40 of my money.

If new consoles blocked used games then i just wouldnt buy a new console. Plus the other issue is game stores would close as most of their money comes from used games. An also just because a game cant be bought used doesnt mean a person will buy it brand new.

Personally, I couldn't care less as I have a strong dislike for owning used items and strictly buy all my games brand new. However, I believe that everyone should have the right to sell their used games if they desire. Used games expands the accessibility of games to welcome people with tighter budgets, which is a good thing. Besides, being able to sell used items exists for pretty much any other object, you buy a bike, you can sell it later when you don't want it anymore, you buy a book, you might sell it after you finish reading it.

Until now it's all rumours... but if it turns out to be true, it's lulz-worthy on an unprecedented scale. This is the kind of hypothetical anti-piracy measure that's certain to increase piracy exponentially.
It'd be like a track athlete with a pulled hamstring trying to improve his mobility by sawing off the afflicted leg.

I couldn't care less. There is no used games market where i live so i buy all my games new and never sell them.

Well then, coming from a person who buys around 90 percent of all games new and day of, I would probably start pirating games. All they are going to do is hurt the consumer because they can't stop actual piracy.

So... is piracy really that huge of an issue with consoles games? I honestly am not aware of where I could actually go to find a pirated version of a console exclusive game, let alone even know how it would be possible to play one for that matter. Computer games I can understand getting ever more strict with certain policies, as they really do tend to lose a great chunk of money from piracy. But consoles? Really? I honestly can't see it.

Arina Love:
I couldn't care less. There is no used games market where i live so i buy all my games new and never sell them.

You don't really "sell them" to resellers (Particularly Gamestop), as much donate them to them and they give a token dollar or two in return. From what I know, the percentages are rather appalling there.

Arina Love:

And were i live, it's the only thing keeping game stores alive, because they make more money on the used sales than the new sales.
And i love the used market, it allows me to check out stuff i normally would'nt.

If either Sony or Microsoft do this then the competing console will support used games and use that as a selling point.

thememan:

Arina Love:

You don't really "sell them" to resellers (Particularly Gamestop), as much donate them to them and they give a token dollar or two in return. From what I know, the percentages are rather appalling there.

If the game is 2 or 3 years old, yeah. If not, no. I just traded my copy of Skyrim into GameStop for $40 in credit, when they're selling it for $50. Not a bad deal.

The only people who say they're a rip off are the people trying to get money for

A) A game that was produced in such large numbers that everyone has one (Madden)
B) A game that is rare, and so you should probably sell it on eBay (Persona)
C) A game that sold like crap, but there were tons of copies (Kane and Lynch 2)

shameduser:
If either Sony or Microsoft do this then the competing console will support used games and use that as a selling point.

there is a tech rumor going around that Sony is saying they'll support it, and once Microsoft confirms that they will, Sony will back out and win the next console generation on Day One. One of the lead executives already said that they have a good relationship with GameStop, so there's little credible evidence that Sony will do this.

Trying to stop people reselling old games is ridiculous. You're allowed to resell practically anything else you buy, why should games be different?

So, basically, console games are getting the PC treatment for used games?

I support the idea of cracking down on used game sales, here's why:

Look at other medias like movies, books and music.

Movies - the film-makers get a fat sack of cash from a studio to make their film, and when it's done it's licensed to theaters and makes money there. It's then licensed to DVD/Blu-Ray and makes money there, also rental stores. It's THEN licensed to pay-per-view blockbuster TV channels, and online services such as NetFlix. It's THEN licensed to free TV.
So effectively the movie has been sold five times to five different mediums - used DVD sales are rampant but that doesn't matter because the movie is still producing cash all across the entire world.

Books - cheap to write, cheap to produce, sell for a huge markup from that production cost. If the writer is successful, they can then cash in on merchandise, signings, even movie deals if they do well enough (Harry Potter), and the process goes up to my first point.

Music - a little more complicated because the RIAA can fuck off, but some artists make ridiculous amounts of money off their music in more ways than album sales. Merchandise and shows are huge, plus endorsements and advertisements - how a musician makes their money is limited by their imagination and personality. Taylor Swift made $80,000,000 in the past two years, plus $100,000,000 revenue (not all hers) from her recent world tour - and almost none of that was from album sales.

Games - developer has capital, makes game, sends to stores and online services like Steam.
That's it. End of profit.
They don't get their money anywhere else except in a few rare exceptions. There aren't shows, there's very few merchandising options, and they need that profit to be able to have jobs next month and to create new content.
This is why games are made over and over, like CoD and EA Sports, and why publishers ruin games. They want it guaranteed to sell as much as possible because new copies are all the income they get, while used game sales and piracy hurt their bottom line and thus jack up prices.

As a gamer and also retail businessman, I say I don't care about stores. The evolution of technology is making stores and physical copies obsolete, when you can download games directly to your PC and Xbox through services like Steam and the Live Marketplace.
Who wants to go out and give a store a cut of the price of a game when you can have it ready to play by leaving your PC on overnight downloading as many titles as you want? Plus doing that, you get automatic updates, instant DLC, tech support and instant access to that game's fan community.
The only situation in which I'd support buying a used game is if there literally are no new copies on the shelves or anywhere else to buy because they simply don't stock it anymore. You shouldn't be entitled to a cheaper product just because you can't afford a new one.

tl;dr - used game sales hurt game developers that are irrelevant to other medias, down with stores and up with Steam.

... I don't get it, you can't resell PC games/software so what does it matter if you can't sell your console games?

TheXRatedDodo:
snip

Your analogy does not work and if you want to know why: Check one of the other hundred threads about used sales where someone brings the same false analogy to the table.

On Topic: If this would mean the death of retailers like GameStop I'd support that!

I'm of the mind that they should transition out the used game market naturally by going digital distribution. People understand that they can re-sell a digital copy.

I don't agree with a system where you buy DVD's / Blue Ray's that can't be resold or even borrowed by friends. It simply feels unnatural compared to what everyone has grown up with.

First off it's a rumor, and has no actual evidence

Sansha:
Games - developer has capital, makes game, sends to stores and online services like Steam.
That's it. End of profit.
They don't get their money anywhere else except in a few rare exceptions. There aren't shows, there's very few merchandising options, and they need that profit to be able to have jobs next month and to create new content.
This is why games are made over and over, like CoD and EA Sports, and why publishers ruin games. They want it guaranteed to sell as much as possible because new copies are all the income they get, while used game sales and piracy hurt their bottom line and thus jack up prices.

While it's probably a little rarer than in the other mediums, games also have merchandise (action figures, guide books, trading card games, etc) and Movie deals (Hitman, Max Payne, Wing comander, Uwe Boll shit). Not to forget DLC and cash stores and monthly fees in MMOs and some other genres.

GamerPhate:
snip

I chose the last option, but it should say, "I couldn't care less, I only buy new games."

You need to add an "n't" to the end of "could".

Don Savik:
If a person has a copy of a game they don't want any more, and I want to pay them money for it, why shouldn't I be able to play it?

Because it's piracy. They've made a copy of the 40 hour experience on the storage medium of their brain, and now they're selling you their other copy.

It's no different from burning copies of movies to give away (or sell). Or selling used movies.

Idiots saying that used cars didn't crash that market: Two people can't drive one car at the same time to two different locations. But two people can have had the entire 40 hour single player experience from one game CD. When you buy a car you pay for its utility. You buy video games for the experience (not for the physical CD and case). It's apples and oranges so STFU with that silly argument. Thanks.

Wasn't there a publisher who said the only reason game prices are as high as they are is because of used game sales? It explains why PC prices are a good 10 cheaper on release date for the same title, less lost sales for the publisher through used games.
Either way, I'm not actually too fussed. I don't buy lots of games, and those that I do I'm generally either willing to wait a year for the price to drop down, or willing to pay the full price on day of release for the privilege of playing it ASAP.

To be fair, this only looks like the end of used games for new consoles. Nothing is stopping me from continuing to build collections of the old generations of consoles (other than the lack of mom-n-pop shops and other specialty shops but that's another issue). That being said, if this does turn out to be true they would only be shooting themselves in the foot. It's the games that sell consoles and if the games aren't readily available and at a reasonable price those consoles will fail. Isn't this one of the bigger reasons the 3DO, CD-I,, Sega CD, 32X and, Jaguar fail? I haven't heard anything about the Wii-U rejecting used/rental titles so that could be the last new console I buy since this gen seems anti-used games and the next gen could be 100% digital.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked