When will En Masse Entertainment stop Lying about TERA Online's "first true action mmo" status?

This is something that has been pissing me off about En Masse and TERA.
http://tera.enmasse.com/game-guide/faq

What is TERA and how does it differ from other MMORPGs?

TERA is the first MMORPG featuring true action combat, providing all of the depth of an MMO with the intensity and gratification of an action game. Players fully control their characters using the game's dynamic battle system.

First off this is an outright blatent lie.

"TRUE" action MMO? Care to elaborate?
Because About 2 years ago an Action MMORPG was released by the name of Vindictus, developed by DevCat and Nexon, under the nexon publishing brand in NA.
This game was simplified, and made with the soure engine.

Vindictus, is an action hack and slash, with heavy RPG elements in a large "raid" based systen, it has a full length time consuming story and background, and is considered a prequel to a previous NEXON MMORPG, called Mabinogi.
Then to go further on this note, Nexon later released Dragon Nest, a similarly made game to vindictus with a much more traditional MMO than Vindictus but still heavily action orientented.
Continents of The Ninth is another game.
Infact the Action MMORPG Market seems to be expanding and En Masse are COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS to this.

And to further this, If Guild Wars 2 comes out before TERA releases, Then En Masse will be discounting one of the most antispiaterd MMO releases since the Genre of MMORPG began.

REGUARDLESS if Tera is going to claim an open persistant world, they are blatently outright telling a flatout LIE to the online gaming community.
And if this is their excuse then id REALLY like to know why Vindictus, Dragon Nest, C9, and maybe even Guildwars2 arent real MMORPGs or REAL Action games.
BlueHole Studio, EnMasse Entertainment are Lying to the public and outright denying the existance of already existing competation MMOs.

REAL Marketing Speak. TRUE Opinion.

Etc etc.

Mate it's marketing, any lie that sells will be told so do not ever believe what they say.

That's what pisses you off? If all my worries were like yours I'd be a happy man.

Planetside came out YEARS before this.

Welcome to the wonderful world of marketing.

Companies lying to sell products ..... this is new and unique and has never been done before in the history of ever.

Still do not see the appeal to playing this game, does anyone know what the appeal is to this game? Is it the "action" that the OP is talking about?

Xannidel:
Still do not see the appeal to playing this game, does anyone know what the appeal is to this game? Is it the "action" that the OP is talking about?

The actoin combat and possibly the political system in the game are really its only two selling points, other than those it's your basic asian mmo grindfest from the beta streams I've watched.

Hmm, not good. Regardless, it does look like a pretty slick game.

darkstone:

Xannidel:

The actoin combat and possibly the political system in the game are really its only two selling points, other than those it's your basic asian mmo grindfest from the beta streams I've watched.

I always imagined it as Monster Hunter taking place in WoW, though I'd readily admit that I may be mistaking it for another game I saw at PAX.

Xannidel:

There really isnt one.
Its not very unique at all
Its pretty much just a pay to play open world vindictus

FranBunnyFFXII:

Then to go further on this note, Nexon later released Dragon Nest, a similarly made game to vindictus with a much more traditional MMO than Vindictus but still heavily action orientented.
Continents of The Ninth is another game.

the only problem is Dragons Nest sucks compared to Vin. i like the mage character but thats about it, any way .... as you where

FranBunnyFFXII:
=snip=

dude, it's marketing. they aren't lying; if they said 'this is the first and only online game' then that would be a lie, but they're just puffing it up for hype purposes. you said it yourself:
""TRUE" action MMO? Care to elaborate?"
it's an unverifiable statement. they're just claiming that they've identified what they feel is a key flaw dividing MMOs from the sort of combat experience available in a single-player RPG and that they feel they've solved it. Calm down.

For me one of the MMO's that is trully action based and not just killing the same monsters over and over again is Face of Mankind, the only problem is that it is a rather deep (and complicated) game so I never played it all that much.

Just because my character attacks when I click on the mouse instead of auto-atacking like other MMO's doesnt make it any more interesting since it is still a grindfest.

josemlopes:
For me one of the MMO's that is trully action based and not just killing the same monsters over and over again is Face of Mankind, the only problem is that it is a rather deep (and complicated) game so I never played it all that much.

Just because my character attacks when I click on the mouse instead of auto-atacking like other MMO's doesnt make it any more interesting since it is still a grindfest.

What just happened?
Did they trick a clan into meeting with them, just so they could ambush them?

Fran, how much do you get paid to pimp these games no one but you has heard of on The Escapist? Cause I want in on that action.

i was wondering when another thread from you complaining about something was going to show up

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Planetside yet. Full blown MMOFPS, launched in 2003. Long story short: marketers lie. It's kind of their job.

Dansen:

josemlopes:

What just happened?
Did they trick a clan into meeting with them, just so they could ambush them?

The game has a senate that does what a senate does and in here various leaders of multiple factions made a hit on them in one of the meetings (where representatives of various faction gather to discuss matters of law, war and commerce. During the meetings the area is restricted to ordinary civilians, but it is possible for civilians to view the negotiations from the guest lounge with a bird's eye perspective, overseeing all factions and hearing the discussions).

The laws are created by the players and not by rules from the game, that is what makes it great (although messy too). There is a lot of freedom in it.

Another example is Darkfall Online, released in 2009 it's a giant non-instanced sandbox world based around PvP, and spells and arrows are aimed like an FPS and based on line of sight, and melee combat is similar to elder scrolls games.

darkstone:

Verily.

And they should be focused on the political angle.

Because "hey! This is another MMORPG just like every other grindfest... but this time the grinding is interesting I swear. It's got ACTION combat! That totally fixes everything!" isn't the most convincing marketing ever.

I'm somewhat convinced that most people are buying this game because all of the women are half naked.

Ah, First World Problems...

No, seriously, tell me why the fuck ANYBODY should give an actual shit about this?

Buretsu:

Excuse me, but I don't see how this is overdramatized or anything like that.

How terrible that such a saying has been abused to call anyone they disagree with about anything that might be common in the first world as derogatorily "first world". Somehow I have doubts most of them have much caring for the poor.

What a horrible deflection to criticism of any variety. According to the way some people are starting to use the meme, I wouldn't be surprised to see people talk about legitimate problems in South Korea and Japan responded to with "first world problems". There we go, any time someone tries to complain about perceived problems in South Korea or Japanese culture, I'll just respond with "first world problems". Makes perfect sense.

I could imagine using such a meme, if the OP was acting as if the world was going to end because of some stupid marketing. Or something ridiculous like that. But that people are using this meme at every single opportunity is getting ridiculous.

LilithSlave:

Buretsu:

Excuse me, but I don't see how this is overdramatized or anything like that.

Because it doesn't matter in the slightest, and the OP is acting like it's some great, evil lie, or malicious shunning of previous games.

I'm just waiting for the claim of False Advertising to be filed with the FTC.

Elamdri:
Fran, how much do you get paid to pimp these games no one but you has heard of on The Escapist? Cause I want in on that action.

Waht?
cmon vindictus was a big deal, Source game pride dude.
They even did a TF 2 Portal Halflife crossover event in vindictus(i got the rewards to prove it)

I dont get paid nothing, i work for google, not nexon.
I just care greatly about video games, and i care that good ones ge the attention they deserve, and that asshole companies like En Masse(TERA) are made out to the bullshit they are.

Games Matter.

To me.
good ones deserve their spotlight bad ones deserve to be bashed.
Ever wonder why i went 360 on Prius online, from super exicted to crusading to shut it down?
lieing developers, ripping off custommers, corrupt GM staff and volentter forum staff, amoung other faults.
Ever hear the statement "im the kinda customer you don't piss off"?
Thats me.

FranBunnyFFXII:

Elamdri:

Waht?
cmon vindictus was a big deal, Source game pride dude.
They even did a TF 2 Portal Halflife crossover event in vindictus(i got the rewards to prove it)

I dont get paid nothing, i work for google, not nexon.
I just care greatly about video games, and i care that good ones ge the attention they deserve, and that asshole companies like En Masse(TERA) are made out to the bullshit they are.

Games Matter.

To me.
good ones deserve their spotlight bad ones deserve to be bashed.
Ever wonder why i went 360 on Prius online, from super exicted to crusading to shut it down?
lieing developers, ripping off custommers, corrupt GM staff and volentter forum staff, amoung other faults.
Ever hear the statement "im the kinda customer you don't piss off"?
Thats me.

I'm just teasin' ya :)

All companies lie. Some lie more because they want to sell more. En-Masse is a piss-excuse of a company to be honest. Pretending to be the first company to ever to release a hack-n-slash mmo when there's Vindictus and Monster Hunter. Then a bunch of word-plays by insulting other countries(and the players in them) and the elin smear fiasco and in-game removals.

When I was following K-Tera I was looking forward to a game that was different. Now TERA has become nothing more than besides the pretty graphics and monster smashings, the same exact mmos already in exsistance in the marketplace. With removals and restrictions added to make it the same, typical western mmo with a ghosted asian mmo flavor.

If I knew what a turd this company really was I would have never been supporting Tera. Now I look back and the word-of-mouth community's been practically used by this company. I truly do miss the original companies that stuck by the gaming communities without a bunch of b.s. and white-washing in-between. XL-Seed is one of them.

En-Masse uses terms like "western market" as if the anime game communities or international game communities don't exist but we do, and we do and still exist in the western market than what credit is given. They were 'first' communities (besides the international gaming ones) that knew about Tera. Sleezy words en-masse. They play upon "korean imports" like their simply that(and horribly bad) and nothing more. En-Masse itself is just a small publisher with an even smaller budget. There's entire communities and gaming communities that play these asian mmos (and their all over the place on game-review sites regardless) it doesn't matter what communities they come from. Then the sudden spazz following of asian/korean MMO's like ArcheAge, Blade and Soul, ect.

Why was Ragnarok Online so successful of a game? People caught onto the game anyway and played. It was fun, different and people played regardless. It also was a P2P game by a Korean company but it was the company directly itself that published a game. No 3rd party publishers or extra publishers.

I'm glad I stepped out of the narrow-minded prickish political washed up company known as "En-Masse". I've heard of a game called S-T-A-L-K-E-R 2 that's being developed in Ukraine, RU. Had I went by en-masse's "words of wisdom" I would have never known such a game existed since everyone besides people in US and EU are nothing more than hackers and criminals by their quotas.

Let me say what I said in the last thread you made about this.
"Dishonest game marketing?! OH THE TRAVESTY"
But seriously, people will and do lie to get sales. Get over it.

Another way to get over it is the option not to support such companies. Genius. Lol. One less wallet or purse wasted. Eventually companies like that will start word-dancing with their main customers too who were oblivious (or willingly oblivious) to began with.

It's just the ones who catch onto the lies first won't be suckered in. :)

Ncsoft fail on the horizon in a new-twist.

FranBunnyFFXII:
-snip-

Well Ill say that Vindictus was to hub based to be what I define as an MMO. If Vindictus is an MMO, then so is Diablo 3 in my opinion. To me an MMO needs an open world. Otherwise there is little difference between a lobby and an MMO.

As for guild wars 2. A clear hotkey MMO. No if/buts about it.

I dont know the other titles you mentioned, but I know that DC universe tried being an action mmo as well, but kinda failed going all the way (even thou the combat is alot of fun for a MMO).
If you want to go Planetside you can call that an action MMO by most definitions as well if you want better examples for your list.

Having tried Tera I would say that the statement is accurate enough. They meant what I thought they meant.

Darkfall did true action melee, magic and archery pretty good.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked