For everyone who didn't play The Witcher 1 but plans to play The Witcher 2....

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

CDProjekt just put up a really cool video which recaps the events of TW1. Quite useful with the xbox release of AOK right around the corner. I thought I would share it with you guys, since I wager theres more than one person here who plans to play the 360 port but never played the first, PC exclusive game.

Spoilers for The Witcher 1 inbound, obviously.

For discussion value: are you looking forward to the Enhanced Edition and what did you think of the first Witcher's storyline?

EDIT: Also, USE QUEN. You will know what I mean when the time comes.

Thanks for that, Smash.

I'm a little bit more informed now, although not by much :D

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

For discussion value: are you looking forward to the Enhanced Edition and what did you think of the first Witcher's storyline?

I am, sounds like they're adding a bunch of new content and there haven't been any really good RPGs since Skyrim. First Witcher's storyline was good but the storytelling was awful.

Daystar Clarion:
Thanks for that, Smash.

If you have any questions, throw them my way. Im not a super big expert on The Witcher or anything, but I know my way around the first game.

Bah, if you're really hardcore about The Witcher you learn Polish so you can read all the novels.

Having only just picked up the PC version, I'm more concerned to remembering what each of the damn signs do more than the story at this point.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Daystar Clarion:
Thanks for that, Smash.

If you have any questions, throw them my way. Im not a super big expert on The Witcher or anything, but I know my way around the first game.

First off, what's a Witcher?

I'm guessing it's some kind of super human?

Judging by the video, it's something that can be created?

Daystar Clarion:

A human mutated by chemicals to give them special abilities. They kill monsters for cash.

It's a living.

Daystar Clarion:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Daystar Clarion:
Thanks for that, Smash.

A witcher is some kind of super human/sub human, depending on how you look at it. They are kidnapped as a child and undergo a series of freaky shit from that point on, ingesting potions, chemicals and all that good stuff. What you end up with is a "mutated" human who is fine tuned to fighting monsters. (Hence the cat eyes and stuff.) Witchers are also emotionally stumped, since feelings get in the way of getting a job done, which is why Geralt comes across as... Well, lets say different sometimes.

Most common folk see them as beasts and think they bring bad luck.

So, to recap - Witchers are mutated humans who exist to fight magical creatures for a good bit of money, and one could argue they are a magical creature of sorts themselves.

I just remembered CDProjekt have a video on this as well, which probably explains this stuff better than I did.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Daystar Clarion:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

A witcher is some kind of super human/sub human, depending on how you look at it. They are kidnapped as a child and undergo a series of freaky shit from that point on, ingesting potions, chemicals and all that good stuff. What you end up with is a "mutated" human who is fine tuned to fighting monsters. (Hence the cat eyes and stuff.) Witchers are also emotionally stumped, since feelings get in the way of getting a job done, which is why Geralt comes across as... Well, lets say different sometimes.

So, to recap - Witchers are mutated humans who exist to fight magical creatures for a good bit of money, and one could argue they are a magical creature of sorts themselves.

I just remembered CDProjekt have a video on this as well, which probably explains this stuff better than I did.

Looks really cool. Some interesting and original lore.

Can't wait for Witcher 2.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Until they have a monster problem. Then they change their story.

RhombusHatesYou:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Until they have a monster problem. Then they change their story.

Fortunately for Geralt, monster problems seem to be a common occurrence :P

I started it but didn't finish it so thanks for the recap.
If you can find any translated ones, the books are cool too. You get to see where the games grey area morality system comes into place. Pretty much everything Geralt does in the books, while seeming like the right thing at the time, ends up having mild to disasterously bad consequences.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Daystar Clarion:
Thanks for that, Smash.

Alright, got a few.

Firstly, are there a lot of monsters in this game? Yahtzee described the plot as "Game of Thrones-y" which definetly sounds good, but Game of Thrones barely has any monsters in it, and focuses more on the characters rather than monsterfights.

Second, how original are the Elfes and Dwarfes? Are they Tolkien rip-offs where the dwarfes like beer and are scottish, while the elfes are weird, sexy and mysterious?

Third (this is more about gameplay, but whatever), is the game over-complicated and filled to the brim with micromanaging? Or is it pretty staright-forward with the outcome of the battle more remaining on your skills rather than what potions and skills you choose to upgrade?

Fourth, is the writing and voiceacting good (to be a game that is), or does Geralt speack with an extremely montone voice while the writing is clichéd and inimaginative?

Yeah, that was a lot of questions, but this game looks really intresting and I really wouldn't like it to be a dissapointment.

RhombusHatesYou:
Bah, if you're really hardcore about The Witcher you learn Polish so you can read all the novels.

Am seriously considering it after the amount of times i've heard this lol.

I love me a good fantasy read, and I love the universe from the games.

Repost, apparantly the edit and the quote button are too complicated for me to figure out.

Swyftstar:
I started it but didn't finish it so thanks for the recap.
If you can find any translated ones, the books are cool too. You get to see where the games grey area morality system comes into place. Pretty much everything Geralt does in the books, while seeming like the right thing at the time, ends up having mild to disasterous bad consequences.

I actually wouldn't recommend the English translations of the books. The Polish Last Wish is apparently a really funny send-up of various fantasy tropes, and the whole think is in a faux-archaic prose style that is difficult to translate into other languages. The English version was translated by someone who usually translates Polish textbooks.

SecretNegative:

Firstly, are there a lot of monsters in this game? Yahtzee described the plot as "Game of Thrones-y" which definetly sounds good, but Game of Thrones barely has any monsters in it, and focuses more on the characters rather than monsterfights.

It's similar to Game of Thrones if you were to replace all the descriptions of food and creepy sex scenes involving minors with monster-killing and gratuitous sex scenes involving non-minors. (I.e., the main story is about politics.)

SecretNegative:

Second, how original are the Elfes and Dwarfes? Are they Tolkien rip-offs where the dwarfes like beer and are scottish, while the elfes are weird, sexy and mysterious?

It's sort of a deconstruction of Tolkien Elfes and Dwarfes. Think what Dragon Age tried to do, except good.

SecretNegative:

Third (this is more about gameplay, but whatever), is the game over-complicated and filled to the brim with micromanaging? Or is it pretty staright-forward with the outcome of the battle more remaining on your skills rather than what potions and skills you choose to upgrade?

Both. You've gotta dodge a lot, manage your distance to enemies, and know when to attack and when to get as far away from them as possible. At the same time, about 50% of your success in a given fight is how well you prepared for it. Killing giant spiders (for instance) is a lot easier if you took antivenom and healing potions beforehand, coated your sword in insecticide, and laid some bear traps in a location you can lure said giant spiders to.

SecretNegative:

Fourth, is the writing and voiceacting good (to be a game that is), or does Geralt speack with an extremely montone voice while the writing is clichéd and inimaginative?

Voice-acting is mixed - I'd recommend the Polish audio. Supposedly it's equally mixed, but if you don't speak Polish it all sounds awesome :p

Writing is really, really good in the plot/story sense, and dialogue is straightforward. Expect to cringe much less than you would while playing a Bioware game, but a little more than you would while playing an Obsidian game.

Your timing is uncanny, as I preordered the game just today, on a whim, and was wondering whether I would be able to understand the story, not having played the first one. So thanks for the link.

I'm hoping for a PS3 release.

SecretNegative:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Daystar Clarion:
Thanks for that, Smash.

Alright, got a few.

Yeah, that was a lot of questions, but this game looks really intresting and I really wouldn't like it to be a dissapointment.

1) Yes. There are numerous different monsters ranging from your run of the mill fantasy stuff to... Well, I wont spoil anything. Generally speaking you will recognize a lot of these creatures from other fantasy, but with their own spin. The similarities to Game Of Thrones lie more in the political intrigue that goes on around you. (And of course, you influence it quite a bit too.)

2) Dwarves are your standard fantasy fare. Scottish accent, rugged, like drink. Elves? Well, most humans want them dead while a few think they are weird, sexy and have a connection to nature, but thats not the case. Very early on you make contact with what is essentially a terrorist group led by and elf, and it becomes obvious they are by no means your standard Rivendale affair. Like everything in the world, they are flawed and have their "dark" side. In fact, the dark side is more apparent than anything else.

3) Assassin Of Kings is pretty straight forward in terms of inventory management. Of course you have to drink potions before battle, but its all streamlined to the point where its more akin to Mass Effect 2 than a classic CRPG. It suits the game though; keeps the action and drama flowing quickly.

Dont get me wrong, theres still a lot of planning that goes into battles - what potions do I drink? Should I lay some traps? How can I get past this enemy? By dodging a lot or jumping straight in? But it rarely bogs down to tedious micromanagement.

4) Geralts voice is indeed very monotone, but thats kinda the point. He is a Witcher, after all. (Read my previous post on what Witchers are for details.) The rest of the voice acting is great, if you ignore the occasional jarring, out of place American accent. The writing itself is in my opinion beyond outstanding and easily the best we have seen these last few years. So let me put it this way: if you find you cant immerse yourself into the game, it will not be because the voice acting is sub par.

Daystar Clarion:
Thanks for that, Smash.

There isn't really much you need to know. The whole Witcher story follows a subtle over arching plot that isn't thrust in your face though.

The theme behind it is Geralt trying to find his lost love Yennifer and trying to find out what happened when he was "killed" (he's also lost his memory). Although in the mean time he's cosying up to Triss (or Shani) and banging anything else with 2 tits and a pulse.

Besides Geralts theme there is a huge racism plot going on with humans basically oppressing Elves, Dwarves and anything else that remotely pisses them off.

Did I mention Geralt fucks anything that looks his way?

The only things you need to be aware of is the combat. I know the tutorial has been changed in TW2 (before you got thrown in and told to work shit out yourself) but it is a bit more complicated than most action RPG's.

For one, you have 2 swords. A normal sword for humans and a silver sword for monsters. Your normal sword will do sod all to monsters on higher difficulty.

Potions are a must use as are signs. If you don't use potions and signs wisely you will be slapped around ten ways from Sunday.

You also get to have Geralt sleep with any lass who remotely shows an interest .... which is anything with 2 tits and a pulse.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

1) Yes. There are numerous different monsters ranging from your run of the mill fantasy stuff to... Well, I wont spoil anything. Generally speaking you will recognize a lot of these creatures from other fantasy, but with their own spin. The similarities to Game Of Thrones lie more in the political intrigue that goes on around you. (And of course, you influence it quite a bit too.)

Hmm, actually likes killing humans more than killing monsters, but it reallt doesn't matter.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

2) Dwarves are your standard fantasy fare. Scottish accent, rugged, like drink. Elves? Well, most humans want them dead while a few think they are weird, sexy and have a connection to nature, but thats not the case. Very early on you make contact with what is essentially a terrorist group led by and elf, and it becomes obvious they are by no means your standard Rivendale affair. Like everything in the world, they are flawed and have their "dark" side. In fact, the dark side is more apparent than anything else.

Shame about the dwarfes, but the Elfes seem intresting enough, I just got one more question about this, are the elfes just humans with point ears, or do they each have a special trait to them? As in, "Elfes considers fucking their sister a very normal thing to do", or "ham is very tasty".

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

3) Assassin Of Kings is pretty straight forward in terms of inventory management. Of course you have to drink potions before battle, but its all streamlined to the point where its more akin to Mass Effect 2 than a classic CRPG. It suits the game though; keeps the action and drama flowing quickly.

Dont get me wrong, theres still a lot of planning that goes into battles - what potions do I drink? Should I lay some traps? How can I get past this enemy? By dodging a lot or jumping straight in? But it rarely bogs down to tedious micromanagement.

Sounds very, very nice. I actually quite like streamlining and I even quite liked the "inventory" system in ME2. It probably isn't AS streamlined, but as long as there's no micromanaging, I'm in.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

4) Geralts voice is indeed very monotone, but thats kinda the point. He is a Witcher, after all. (Read my previous post on what Witchers are for details.) The rest of the voice acting is great, if you ignore the occasional jarring, out of place American accent. The writing itself is in my opinion beyond outstanding and easily the best we have seen these last few years. So let me put it this way: if you find you cant immerse yourself into the game, it will not be because the voice acting is sub par.

Also nice, bad voiceacting can really bring down an otherwise pretty decent scene (as is the case with Mass Effect and Benezia and the rachni-queeen on Noveria, urgh.)

This game just sounds more and more intresting, damn you! Why can't you just say the game is a piece of shit along with the likes of Too Human and save me 30 £? God damn it, I was hoping to save some money...

Captcha: "Belt up", yeah, I guess that's what i gotta do...

SecretNegative:
snip

Shame about the dwarfes, but the Elfes seem intresting enough, I just got one more question about this, are the elfes just humans with point ears, or do they each have a special trait to them? As in, "Elfes considers fucking their sister a very normal thing to do", or "ham is very tasty".

Its worth mentioning there are a lot of dwarfes in that terrorist group too. But they do have scottish accents, so meh.

Anyhow, the elves and their differences to humans... Well, there are minor differences, but none of the sister fucking sort. And that is the amusing part. Racism is prevalent and a lot of people will have you believe elves are scum, but in reality, they are like humans. Just as flawed, just as violent. I wont go into detail though, its something you should experience for yourself. I dont want to spoil the magic of it all.

Sounds very, very nice. I actually quite like streamlining and I even quite liked the "inventory" system in ME2. It probably isn't AS streamlined, but as long as there's no micromanaging, I'm in.

Yeah, it is quite nice. Suits the game. Personally I like the first Witcher game more, and that was a micromanagement shitstorm, but you never get the impression AOK is "dumbed down" in any way.

This game just sounds more and more intresting, damn you! Why can't you just say the game is a piece of shit along with the likes of Too Human and save me 30 £? God damn it, I was hoping to save some money...

I would say buy it used... But I wont. CDProjekt deserve your money.

Speaking of money, wheres my paycheck CDProjekt? I swear I must have sold about 6 copies of AOK on these forums alone! Give me my viral marketing money, dammit!

(In all seriousness, if you cant afford it, buy used or wait for the price of the new copies to drop. And no, I am not getting paid to make these threads :P )

Rawne1980:
Potions are a must use as are signs. If you don't use potions and signs wisely you will be slapped around ten ways from Sunday.

This reminds me... Added a little something to the OP :P

ChupathingyX:
I'm hoping for a PS3 release.

Keep hoping.

Rumour has it that the PS3 version is coming and will get handled as CD Projekt Red starts ramping up to preproduction on The Witcher 3... but the massive caveat there is that it's just a rumour.

I am holding off replaying TW2 for the third time until the (fucking free, you other publisher cunts) Enhanced Edition is released.

I am wet for it.

If I had advice for people, its that the game is often about relatively complex politics, and it doesn't hold back. To start with, you won't have a fucking clue, but there's a decent codex and over time you'll become accustomed to what's going on anyway. Just pay attention, because it wants you to think.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

What I found interesting is that his voice-acting made me want to hang myself for the short time I played the first game, but I thought it was brilliant in the second (and its the same actor as far as I'm aware). Instead of sounding bored (as he does in the first), he has personality; its subtle, but its there in droves.

yeah im looking forward to it, in fact i haven't actually played the witcher 2 yet despite already owning it because about twenty minutes after buying it i heard it was getting an enhancement and have decided to wait for that ha

Thanks, this helps a lot. I plan to buy The Witcher 2 on Xbox 360 that comes out on my Birthday! =D

That's awesome, I've played it through twice on the PC but never got around to playing the first one.

The CD Project guys are the new Bioware. Except better, CD Project don't dance around on their toes around touchy subjects. They meet them head on.

Underwear in the shower...

Pfft!

Silly Bioware...

Substitute Troll:
That's awesome, I've played it through twice on the PC but never got around to playing the first one.

The CD Project guys are the new Bioware. Except better, CD Project don't dance around on their toes around touchy subjects. They meet them head on.

Pfft!

Silly Bioware...

Yeah, it kinda weird actually. The language get's more "adult" in ME2 and 3 (Mordin implying that someone fucked a varren) but the nudity get's cut down a lot. In the sex case, Mass Effect appears a lot more mature in this issue.

Though CD Project actually seem do it right, "here's some boobs, what you want? a cookie?" rather than hiding it behind some kind of weird catsauit or with a giant cleavage or something.

SecretNegative:

Substitute Troll:

Pfft!

Silly Bioware...

Yeah, it kinda weird actually. The language get's more "adult" in ME2 and 3 (Mordin implying that someone fucked a varren) but the nudity get's cut down a lot. In the sex case, Mass Effect appears a lot more mature in this issue.

Though CD Project actually seem do it right, "here's some boobs, what you want? a cookie?" rather than hiding it behind some kind of weird catsauit or with a giant cleavage or something.

In the case of The Witcher 2, well, let me put it this way.

Witcher 1: Heres a girl. You should totally fuck her. And that one too. And that one. And that one. And that one. Tits.

Witcher 2: Heres a girl. No, you cannot fuck her. Why? Because not every woman is going to fuck you. Sex is here, like in the real world, but its not central.

All Bioware games since Origins: GUYS LOOK YOU CAN HAVE SEX!!! LOOK!!! WE EVEN HAVE GAY AND LESBIAN ROMANCES CUZ LOL SO PROGRESSIVE!!! LOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKK SEEEEEXXXXXXXX AND RELATIONSHIIIIIIIIPPSSSSSS buy the game.

My favourite part of The Witcher 2 is Geralt getting a tattoo.

Fucking HI-LARIOUS.

It's quite funny that it seems the books are being translated into Finnish faster than into English. It sucks though since translated hardcover books cost more than a game in this nation(they must put diamonds into those books seriously). I've read the first three novels and played the first game. The second is waiting in my shelf. Gotta play it soon.

As to the first Witcher, I think it is one of the best RPG's I've played. It has its flaws of course but meh.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Daystar Clarion:
Thanks for that, Smash.

They forgot so many things... What about the magic prodigy child (Alvin?) that is hinted to be the order master himself?

RhombusHatesYou:

It is infuriating that only certain ones are translated into English. I read the first one and really wanted to read the rest, but it skips some and jumps into another one. What is up with that? Who translates random entries into a series but skips some?

RhombusHatesYou:
My favourite part of The Witcher 2 is Geralt getting a tattoo.

Fucking HI-LARIOUS.

Oh god, whatever happens when you're drunk. Trying to swim across a river that has a giant fucking octopus in it while you're drunk?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked