Mass Effect 3 Is a Good Game.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I had promised myself not to do any more discussions of Mass Effect 3, but there is a disturbing trend out there that I have noticed, which made me want to write this thread. Before any flames or pitchforks or anything else are thrown my way, I want to say that I have played Mass Effect 3 through the end, and that I did not like the ending. With that out the way, the ending of the game has been discussed enough, and in so much detail that I'm pretty sure I could find a numbered list of every single argument that has been presented to date on either side. What I'm here to protest, however, is the somewhat disturbing number of people who say that the ending has completely ruined not only Mass Effect 3, but the entire series for them. There are some people out there who claim to be forever boycotting Bioware due to their 'hatred' of the ending. While I realize that some of these people are what the internet refers to as 'flamers' or 'trolls', I think that there are some out there who are actually serious about this point. Because I feel that I'm going to ramble on and on about this subject, I've decided to break it up into different subjects, and you can decide to click on any one you desire, or simply read them all, if you wish.

Now, I am by no means qualified to present any opinion at all, but this is simply my point of view on the matter. I'm not a journalist, I'm not majoring in any literary field. I'm a marine transportation major, really. I am, however, a gamer, and I feel that I had to present my point in the best way that I could, no matter how many/few people will actually read it.

Thank You
-Izzy

I think that it's a good game too, I just think that the ending is horrible and taints the rest of the game

Yes, it's a very good game. But the ending is so abysmal it ripples backwards through time and tarnishes all the many many hours of fun one has beforehand.

I suppose my real question is... how? What exactly makes the games unplayable now? I've seen the ending, I hate it...but the first thing I did was go back to mass effect 1 and start a brand new playthrough... I guess I just don't understand the reasoning here...

Izzy1320:
I suppose my real question is... how? What exactly makes the games unplayable now? I've seen the ending, I hate it...but the first thing I did was go back to mass effect 1 and start a brand new playthrough... I guess I just don't understand the reasoning here...

Because what's the point of playing the game again if you're going to get the same ending as someone who picked radically different choices.

Korten12:

Izzy1320:

Because what's the point of playing the game again if you're going to get the same ending as someone who picked radically different choices.

Because you enjoy the games?
I've put over 20 playthroughs added up between Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. That number will continue to rise, and I'll be replaying Mass Effect 3 just as much (I'll just quit when the big laser hits me from now on).

I want you to imagine you are at a banquet.

However, this is not just any banquet. It is the banquet to end all banquets. It is the culmination of many banquets that have gone before. Laid out before you is a sumptuous feast, every dish and delicacy you can imagine, a vast, mouth-watering selection of old favourites and new flavours.

You eat.

It is good. It is fantastic. It is hard to imagine how it could be any better.

Then, as you sit back with a contented sigh and a full stomach, a small plate is placed before you. On that plate is a single small dollop of dog shit and a spoon.

That's the Mass Effect 3 experience.

Sure, the feast was fantastic, but guess which flavour will linger in your mouth when you think back on it. That's what people mean when they say that the whole thing was ruined.

Izzy1320:

Mass Effect is a perfect example of a Shaggy Dog story. So while it may be interesting...even gripping...to listen to/play through, by the time you get to the agonizingly pointless ending you realize you've been duped and the entire thing has been a complete waste of time.

Whatever the case, I don't feel comfortable assigning the label of "good" or "great" to a story with an ending as catastrophically poor as Mass Effect. "Could have been great" is fine. "Fell just short" is appropriate. But you don't get to bedshit the most important part of your narrative and then claim excellence on the grounds of "at least the middle was good".

BloatedGuppy:
ng...even gripping...to listen to/play through, by the time you get to the agonizingly pointless ending you realize you've been duped and the entire thing has been a complete waste of time.

I can't honestly agree with this. I have never felt that my playthrough of Mass Effect was a waste of time, and to use your own words, I wouldn't feel comfortable with saying so. I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but I don't feel that likening it to literal shit is saying much for either the people who spent so much time making the series or the people who spent so much time playing it. Sure, the ending wasn't written by the writing team, but rather two people in an office (or so I've been informed), but the rest of the game is just as well written as the rest of the series.

Izzy1320:
I can't honestly agree with this. I have never felt that my playthrough of Mass Effect was a waste of time, and to use your own words, I wouldn't feel comfortable with saying so. I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but I don't feel that likening it to literal shit is saying much for either the people who spent so much time making the series or the people who spent so much time playing it. Sure, the ending wasn't written by the writing team, but rather two people in an office (or so I've been informed), but the rest of the game is just as well written as the rest of the series.

Accolades are earned, not given in sympathy. If the ME3 team didn't want their ending, and retroactively their series, mocked and derided, it probably would have behooved them to put a little more care and thought into it. We're wandering into "Leave Brittany Alone" territory here.

And again, it doesn't matter how good your book, film, game, etc is. If you screw up your ending, you taint the entire narrative. It is the one part that is absolutely essential not to screw up on. ME's ending fails for game play reasons (lack of choice), narrative reasons (continuity errors, characters acting strangely, plot holes, abandoned themes), and aesthetic reasons (poor production values, vague/sloppy cinematic). It was a truly astonishing breakdown across the board. If they'd actively set out to sabotage it they couldn't have done much more damage to the IP than they did.

Izzy1320:

For me the ending is the most important part, it doesn't necessarily have to be the most amazing part, but it is the most important part to not mess up.
It's the last thing you're left with, and hopefully gives you closure, it colours everything you ever felt while playing the game. A good ending will make you ignore the iffy sections and a bad one will motivate you to pick out all the flaws.
It doesn't have to be spectacular, and you don't have to put the most effort into the ending over everything else. But it at least has to be okay.

Once I'd played the ending, playing through anything else felt pointless because everything culminated in that..... What's the point in everything you're doing leading up to the ending (which Mass Effect 3 spends the whole game emphasising), if the ending sucks?

Ending aside though, Mass Effect 3 would be a good game, though I thought Mass Effect 2 was better. A greater number of interesting squad-mates to spend my time talking to (especially with loyalty missions, which were fantastic) and side missions felt more interesting.

The best description I've seen about Mass Effect 3 would have to be Pete Abrams of Sluggy Freelance

Do you guys remember while back when I told you all how great the Mass Effect series was? Actively pushing you all to give it a try and try it from the beginning? My deepest apologies, I take it all back. I instead suggest you wait before getting into Mass Effect to see how this 'last five minutes of the game' bit shakes out.

Basically this game, as with all other Bioware games and series, is thoughtfully written, very three-dimensional, detailed, thorough, and brilliant, up until the very-very end.

And the best way I can sum up the ending (spoiler free as to the specifics) is, it's like somebody in power decided to phone in the ending, couldn't be bothered, and handed the phone to someone who had never even played Mass Effect before and let them phone it in. And then credits roll quick before any of the actual Bioware writing team could let you, the player, know any ramifications of any choices you made in any real way, good, bad or ugly (I'm looking at you, Wrex).

The very end of Mass Effect 3 was self-contained, lazy, full of plot holes, and unlike the rest of the bioware catalog (including the first 95% of Mass Effect 3). Clearly something bad happened or is happening, because this is just too damn weird. And Bioware has lost my confidence as the company appears to rally around this weirdness.
Lots of people have talked about this better than I, and these links include plenty of spoilers, but here are a couple of my favorites that reflect my views pretty tightly:
10 Reasons We Hate Mass Effect 3's Ending (youtube)
All That Matters is the Ending, Part 2: Mass Effect 3 (writer blog)

There are some out there who think that the end isn't the REAL end of Mass Effect 3, and that it might show up as some kind of DLC. I actually came to that conclusion based on some weird things I noticed (especially after talking with my friend Alyssa (gotta give her props or she'll yell at me)). I think this scenario would make me feel better about my investment in this series. A true brilliant ending, Bioware style.
But even if this happens, the reputation damage is done. I'm going to steer clear of Dragon Age 3 and use my disdain as an excuse to NOT get sucked into Old Republic any time soon. Good luck with this, Bioware.

Should have let Mordin write the ending. Someone else got it wrong.

captcha:question everything

This system is fucking spooky.

if the ending is the only thing that gives a game worth, then i quit the game industry. i play games for the experience of palying, not to see what happenes at the end.

captcha: great unwashed

how very dare you

Izzy1320:

It's kinda like sex, it can be great, but if the climax gets fucked up, it ruins the whole experiance...

I love ME3 - until Harbinger's beam.

Does the ending ruin the game for me? No. I still had fun, and I still think the game as a whole was worth the money I spent on it.

It doesn't ruin the previous two games for me either, since they are both still fun to me.

What does get ruined though is the impact of the choices I made. Mass Effect was marketed as a series where my decisions from each game would make major changes on the story's outcome. This turned out to be almost completely false. So decisions that I used to agonize over, like whether to reprogram or destroy the Heretic Geth for example, now feel cheapened. Knowing that in the end it really doesn't matter what I decide to do about the Heretic Geth, the decision in ME2 isn't going to have the same impact that it used to have.

It's a good game, sure. The problem is, Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 are incredible games. ME3 is just good. It's a 7/10 at most no matter what idiotic reviews say. It wasn't just the ending that sucked. Everything was dumbed down. No exploration, less characters, dumber characters, less dialogue, worse visuals with amazingly dumbed down animations, narrow FOV, bad ending. Some "improvements" like new system for managing weapons is too shallow. All you had to do is have enough money to buy the upgraded version of your favorite gun. And how do you get money? You scan a system with one button to find an artifact that you overheard someone talk about on the Citadel. That's just laziness. And there aren't that many weapon mods to make the whole modification thing fun. If they had more time to make the game they could have made some planet exploration and use exploration as means to find upgrades and mods for weapons. More fun mods, not just shitty stat changing mods.
Then there's the new roll system that's mapped at the same button used for cover. Which makes things retarded especially on Insane where the tiniest mistake can cost you your life. And mistakes happen a lot with such a stupid control scheme. If you don't have enough buttons to do something then don't fuckin' do it. And of course, no holster function. Which kills the immersion completely for me. I'm running around a secure area pointing my gun at everything. It's kind of a big deal if both previous games allowed you to holster your weapon. Sounds like a minor thing, but it isn't. So don't pretend it is.

Although on the good side there's a shitload of very different guns this time around and the new weight system that lets you choose if you're going to play it more like a shooter or like a power/biotic user. That is a good system.

AS said before. I freaking love that game until the final mission, the whole final level just seemed "meh" to me, everything up to that point war Bioware at its best in my opinion.

So far, so good for me. I am hooked and enthralled with this game, but don't have the time to power through it, so I've been playing it in little snippets. Tough choices, my eyes have teared up, I screamed at the TV once, the combat has been intense... I dread the supposed colossal failure of an ending people keep droning on about.

Please don't quote me with spoilers, thanks!

Izzy1320:

Because the ending pushes fatalism so far down your throat and so suddenly that you start to retch. In a nutshell, the ending did a spectacular job of robbing your choices of the impact the rest of the series promised they would have. No matter what you do: Villains dictate that you end the story on their terms, Mass Relays are destroyed, Victory Fleet trapped around a devestated planet, Normandy crashes on some unknown planet which they'll likely never get off of. Galactic Civilization dies with your final decision, and so too does the meat of your decisions...actually, I think I've made this argument somewhere before...ah, here it is.

In stories like this everything is building up to the ultimate payoff: The climax and its resolution, which should be the high point of the series. That's why plot diagrams show the climax at the peak. It is in that moment that everything you've been working towards is at its head, when all the cards are on the table and you're all in, waiting on that final card to be revealed. All conflicts at this point are at their worst, the battle is right at the gate and the audience's emotional investment is at its peak. Essentially, the climax and its aftermath are the most important parts of the story (which is hardly unknown in the industry), both because it represents the ultimate payoff that everything preceding it has been leading up to, and because it is the single moment that you will either captivate or alienate your audience, to say nothing of the fact that it effectively acts as the final impression your work leaves on the audience, which can and often does affect their overall opinion of the series.

In this case, there's a general perception of poor quality in the ending, which might have been forgivible if they'd included a denoument allowing for cathasis[1] and closure, but that too is denied to the audience leaving them walking away from the series with a feeling of disappointment compounded by the outright nihilisitic undertones[2] that effectively serves to ruin the very act of decision making throughout the series in the first place[3]. And unfortunately this conclusion colors the perception of the preceding events. This is hardly unheard of, mind you. How to put it...Have you ever seen the Sixth Sense? If yes, have you ever watched it again? If so, I expect your second viewing was very different from the first due to the way your knowledge of the ultimate reveal affected the way you viewed the scenes leading up to it. The same thing happens with Fight Club: You start looking at the movie differently because of what you know about the conclusion. Mind you, while these may have some of the clearest examples, the general sentiment applies to far more works than just these two. Applied in this case, what we see is the satisfaction of your initial choices being supplanted by the inevitable irrelevance they are given by the conclusion, ultimately (and unfortunately) making the use of a priorly beloved core gameplay mechanic feel hollow.

[1] of either the good or ill variety
[2] Which is problematic in its own right, as that message runs in direct opposition to the general thrust of the series in both the in-universe and meta-sense, with the former being embodied by the series' mantra about unity triumphing over seemingly impossible odds (perhaps most triuphantly exhibited in the climax of Mass Effect 2, though it is repeatedly referenced throughout the games and acts as the main reason you assemble the Victory Fleet in the first place) and the latter embodied by the core gameplay mechanics of choice and consequence
[3] Let's look at cause and effect
for a moment here:
Effectively, the last few minutes of the game neuter the very thing that made Mass Effect's choice system so interesting: it removes the long-term ramifications of your actions

Adam Jensen:
It's a good game, sure. The problem is, Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 are incredible games. ME3 is just good. It's a 7/10 at most no matter what idiotic reviews say. It wasn't just the ending that sucked. Everything was dumbed down. No exploration, less characters, dumber characters, less dialogue, worse visuals with amazingly dumbed down animations, narrow FOV, bad ending. Some "improvements" like new system for managing weapons is too shallow. All you had to do is have enough money to buy the upgraded version of your favorite gun. And how do you get money? You scan a system with one button to find an artifact that you overheard someone talk about on the Citadel. That's just laziness. And there aren't that many weapon mods to make the whole modification thing fun. If they had more time to make the game they could have made some planet exploration and use exploration as means to find upgrades and mods for weapons. More fun mods, not just shitty stat changing mods.
Then there's the new roll system that's mapped at the same button used for cover. Which makes things retarded especially on Insane where the tiniest mistake can cost you your life. And mistakes happen a lot with such a stupid control scheme. If you don't have enough buttons to do something then don't fuckin' do it. And of course, no holster function. Which kills the immersion completely for me. I'm running around a secure area pointing my gun at everything. It's kind of a big deal if both previous games allowed you to holster your weapon. Sounds like a minor thing, but it isn't. So don't pretend it is.

You know, I really much preferred ME1 to ME2, and I have long thought ME3 would follow the same pattern. Seeing the main writer depart prior to release really helped put that idea to the forefront.

I want to believe this is Bioware playing games, that they really have amazing, free DLC up their sleeves that will erase this, but I honestly suspect that is not the case. Pretty much every step has been bungled on this release. We have the date pushed back, then the idiocy around the from ashes DLC (really, major parts ARE on the disc), the writer left, the company demeaning its fans, writers and journos doing the self-same. I can't see the payoff here. The only thing I suspect was that EA was doing a test of the "buy the ending you want" concept they have spoken about before. But why do this with an AAA game?

I just think Bioware screwed up, then when caught with their pants down denied, attacked and retreated into hiding.

I think they've damaged their brand, how permanently remains to be seen.

Asita:

Because the ending pushes fatalism so far down your throat and so suddenly that you start to retch. In a nutshell, the ending did a spectacular job of robbing your choices of the impact the rest of the series promised they would have. No matter what you do: Villains dictate that you end the story on their terms, Mass Relays are destroyed, Victory Fleet trapped around a devestated planet, Normandy crashes on some unknown planet which they'll likely never get off of. Galactic Civilization dies with your final decision, and so too does the meat of your decisions...actually, I think I've made this argument somewhere before...ah, here it is.

I rather thought of it as the decision of an ending that suited a certain playthrough, one of loss, sacrifice and inevitable death. Since the 'stop trying to get the ending changed' is arguing that the people who didn't like the endings merely wanted a happy ending, I've asked around about why they liked it.

Most players who approve of the ending have had that tone in their games, continual loss of companions, not just scripted losses (Kaiden/Ashley or Mordin/Thane/Legion), but things like losing Wrex, losing a large number on the Suicide mission in ME2, losing companions in ME3 and minor characters. Things that you can avoid and overcome in the game through choices. Those actions led to a fatalistic ending, Shepard dies no matter what, but he 'triumphs' over the Reapers.

Wheras most players who enjoyed the ending saved people, continually. They saved everyone, didn't lose people on the suicide mission, didn't lose Wrex, overcame adversity in innovative ways, talking down Saren at the climax of ME1, reasoning the Illusive Man into killing himself in ME3, solving the Geth/Quarian War, Curing the Genophage AND creating a more 'galactic friendly Krogan' by saving Wrex AND Eve. But then there is no ending that embodies the theme of triumph in the face of overwhelming odds that say YOU MUST DO IT THIS WAY, rather the choices of the player can lead you to a different conclusion, that every action in the galaxy has more than one way of approaching it, and in very unconventional ways as well.

The Mechanics of the game allow for, and in many cases encourage players to resolve things positively, but the ending doesn't allow for players to continue that theme. It only allowed for players who lost and sacrificed to win, not those who overcame and altered to win.

I love the entire Mass Effect series and frankly in my oppinion deserves a shot at best game(s) ever (I know it would fail but still being considdered would be enough). Its just that from the moment Hacket ssais the Crucible isnt firing things just go down... plotholes that makes no sense, reasoning that makes no sense, Shepards reaction that makes no sense... theyre contradicting everything previously established and leaves us with an ending completly devoid of any form of closure. We know nothing about what happened after you make your choise other than that the mass relays blow up and that the Normandy crashes on a planet far away from the battle it was supposed to be a part of.

So yes - ME3 is an absolutley fantastic game and deserves a helluva lot of praise... but the ending just... just... ugh...

Korten12:

Izzy1320:

So was that really all it was about? The choices, and by extension the arcs of all the characters as you go through them, had no value and produced no emotional response in and of themselves before? Were they all just a meaningless combination of sums and you spent all that money and time going through the three games expecting all the value to come right at the end?

I'm currently on my second playthrough (about to get to Tuchanka), and I know that I'm going to cure the Genophage, even though I know it all means squat at the end, just because I want to cure the Genophage, and so does my Shepard, and I know that it's going to be a fucking beautiful moment.

Not to say that the ending doesn't matter, I just don't think it comes anywhere near to ruining the game, let alone the whole Trilogy.

Korten12:

Izzy1320:

Because what's the point of living the life if you're going to get the same ending as someone who picked radically different choices.
Death.

It's not the destination that matters, it's the journey. If you don't agree with this, you have to take a deep breath and question your priorities. Else you will feel misery trough your whole life.

P.S.
Captcha sometimes reads my mood. And by sometimes I mean almost always. *looking paranoid around my self*

carpathic:
then the idiocy around the from ashes DLC (really, major parts ARE on the disc)

Yeah about that. They said how they had to release the character as DLC because they didn't have the time to add him to the game. OK, fair enough. But why the fuck did you charge for something you wanted to put in the game? Shouldn't that DLC be free for everyone? But no, it's $10! A fuckin' prothean is a major part of the game.

i completley agree, mass effect (bar the last like 2 minutes) is my favourite game every made everything was flawless

also i'm not sure if i need a flame shield or not

@FFHAuthor
I think you're heading in the right direction there. Disappointment with the ending must come from one's play style. It's a valid line of reasoning. For example, the sacrifice of Mordin at the Shroud is rendered all the more poignant if he made it through ME2 and you liked him as a character.
I worked hard to save my squadmates but farmed up those Renegade points elsewhere. Mass Effect 3 developed fewer characters with greater depth and that entered significantly into a satisfying narrative world. Remember this all takes place with the Reapers destroying everything, so let us not ignore the biggest symbols. Eternal, uncompromising machines executing their programming are resisted by the organics with the technology and knowledge capable of understanding them. So it is revealed that this galactic cleansing process is meant to lower the level of entropy present, thus by metagaming extension that any and all of your choices up to this point proved the ghostly starchild is right. I think it's evidence of a game's overall quality to pull you down a path (what we might call the player's subjective world) then yank the carpet out from under; especially in a sci-fi setting that device works well. Ever read Philip K. Dick stories? I digress.
The choices you made up to this point are as important as ever because you as the player can use this moment (before selecting the endgame light colour) to reflect on those dozens of ours that brought you here. Feel me? The choice to break the cycle asks the player to do something rarely achieved in video games. One would have to look all the way back to Planescape Torment to find an ending with such profound implications (also, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream).
After the Normandy crash lands and we see the remnants of the team emerge, they look upon a new dawn. There's this little tickle inside me that knows the series is giving you a nod of thanks. After all, you're an organism hooked up to a machine playing this game. Rinse then repeat.

Oh yeah, it's a fantastic game. In fact I'm pretty sure everyone has said that it's great.

Shame about that ending though....

erttheking:
I think that it's a good game too, I just think that the ending is horrible and taints the rest of the game

Pretty much this.

The general consensus is that the game is amazing, but tarred by one of the worst examples of storytelling in recent memory. No one with half a brain would call ME3 a bad game, but any game with a piece as fundamentally broken as ME3's ending is is going to catch flak for it.

NinjaDeathSlap:

Korten12:

Izzy1320:

So was that really all it was about? The choices, and by extension the arcs of all the characters as you go through them, had no value and produced no emotional response in and of themselves before? Were they all just a meaningless combination of sums and you spent all that money and time going through the three games expecting all the value to come right at the end?

I'm currently on my second playthrough (about to get to Tuchanka), and I know that I'm going to cure the Genophage, even though I know it all means squat at the end, just because I want to cure the Genophage, and so does my Shepard, and I know that it's going to be a fucking beautiful moment.

Not to say that the ending doesn't matter, I just don't think it comes anywhere near to ruining the game, let alone the whole Trilogy.

Yes they had no value, ME 1 effected 2, 2 effected 3, 3 didn't effect the ending. So yeah, what's the freaking point? THE WHOLE IDEA WAS TO SEE HOW YOUR CHOICES EFFECTED THE OUTCOME WHICH THEY MEAN JACK SHIT. What's the point of the third game, if the end basically says: "All those choices you made..? Pfft... They don't change ANYTHING. Everything ends the same." None of your choices in ME3 matter because they didn't effect anything!

BiH-Kira:

Korten12:

Izzy1320:

Because what's the point of living the life if you're going to get the same ending as someone who picked radically different choices.
Death.

It's not the destination that matters, it's the journey. If you don't agree with this, you have to take a deep breath and question your priorities. Else you will feel misery trough your whole life.

P.S.
Captcha sometimes reads my mood. And by sometimes I mean almost always. *looking paranoid around my self*

Video Games Choices =/= Life.

This isn't Real life, this is a video game, one that promised radically different endings based on the choices from 1 to 3, but in the end, the ending is almost the exact same.

In this case, the Journey was ruined by the ending, there can be a sucky ending that still has the journey to make up for this, but in this case, the journey was supposed to lead into the end and make all the difference! But it doesn't!

It would be like if in a game, you saved all these people, and then in the last 10 minutes, a villian pops out and blows up the world killing everyone. Thus making the journey pointless, this is what they did in ME3. They disregarded all the choices, so you don't even get to see how they play out.

What's the point of Saving the genophage? Choosing Geth, Quarian, or both? Or even destroying Cerberus? In the end, you got 3 choices, Destroy, Synthesis, and control, and they don't take anything into consideration. So yeah there was no point, because the galaxy is fucked any way thus voiding out all choices.

I never said it was a bad game, it's good but the ending(s) was a complete let down for me (didn't ruin the whole game though), when i heard the only real difference in the endings were colour changes it kind of made me think i can't be bothered to replay, at least with previous ME's there were real difference (e.g. council dying or not)

As a general rule if a large amount of people prefer "It was all a dream" instead of your ending, something has gone very very wrong.

the ending of a story is perhaps one of the most important things in the narrative, it's where the climatic conflict occurs, the villian is defeated, the plot resolved, etc. Mass Effects ending was such a failure it invites the question of "What's the point?". Mass Effect sold itself on the narrative and by being so unsatisfactory it stops me from wanting to play it again. It's a shame.

Adam Jensen:

Although on the good side there's a shitload of very different guns this time around and the new weight system that let's you choose if you're going to play it more like a shooter or like a power/biotic user. That is a good system.

This is my viewpoint towards the game. Frankly, I find it baffling that many consider it "Amazing until the final 10 minutes", when really there are glaring flaws throughout. It's not bad at all, but it's hardly was an amazing experience, and I found myself getting quite bored and disinterested throughout quite a bit of the game itself. It's not bad at all, but it hardly is deserving of such lofty praise even without the ending issue.

Of course, the common argument talks about how amazing the story is and that's what makes it a great game. Which it doesn't. It makes it a good story put on a relatively above average game. From a purely gameplay standpoint, there are far to many issues I have with it to really call it a "great" game. Good perhaps, above average at the least. But great is a far-cry away from the reality of what it is, and how lazily the damn thing was developed and put together.

Korten12:

BiH-Kira:

Korten12:

Death.

P.S.

Video Games Choices =/= Life.

This isn't Real life, this is a video game, one that promised radically different endings based on the choices from 1 to 3, but in the end, the ending is almost the exact same.

In this case, the Journey was ruined by the ending, there can be a sucky ending that still has the journey to make up for this, but in this case, the journey was supposed to lead into the end and make all the difference! But it doesn't!

It would be like if in a game, you saved all these people, and then in the last 10 minutes, a villian pops out and blows up the world killing everyone. Thus making the journey pointless, this is what they did in ME3. They disregarded all the choices, so you don't even get to see how they play out.

What's the point of Saving the genophage? Choosing Geth, Quarian, or both? Or even destroying Cerberus? In the end, you got 3 choices, Destroy, Synthesis, and control, and they don't take anything into consideration. So yeah there was no point, because the galaxy is fucked any way thus voiding out all choices.

The ending didn't show it, but you did cure the genophage. Or you didn't.
You did save both the Quarians and the Geth, or you didn't.
You did save all your crew member in ME2, or you didn't.

You don't need an ending to give you satisfaction for saving the Krogan. Did you even listen to the female Krogan? Did you hear Wrex saying that she's already pregnant? That was enough for me. I knew my choice did matter. I knew I saved a whole race from destruction.

When the Geth Prime came to me and offered their assistance to the Quarians, that feeling... I felt happy, no. Happy is to weak to describe it... I knew I did something good. I knew my choice was a good one. I almost cried because of happiness.

I don't care if the ending showed me if my choices mattered. I know, I felt, I saw that my choices mattered. I don't need a 3 minute long cut scene confirm that. I have 100+ hours of gameplay that confirm that and will always do.

Life=/=Game, but the game you play is part of your life. I don't just play the game. I live it. I enjoy it, I feel it. That's why an ending like the ME3 will never be able to leave scratch on my ME universe. Because I've seen my actions making the difference. Maybe not at the end, but surely during my gameplay.

And this isn't about what the game promised. It's about what it delivered and how the delivered part can ruin something that you already enjoyed.

And no, the whole idea wasn't to see how your choices make the difference.
The whole idea was to enjoy your choices.

Evan Lichty:

The choices you made up to this point are as important as ever because you as the player can use this moment (before selecting the endgame light colour) to reflect on those dozens of ours that brought you here. Feel me? The choice to break the cycle asks the player to do something rarely achieved in video games. One would have to look all the way back to Planescape Torment to find an ending with such profound implications (also, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream).

Comparing Bioware to Harlan Ellison?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked