ox10c

who's down? I'm all over it like a strong moss.

It looks to have everything I want in a space sim.

exceppt boo to monthly fees

dammit, MODS! EDIT THIS INTO GAMING DISCUSSION IF YOU CAN BE ARSED!

What is ox10c? Google shows your thread on the first two places (Off-Topic and Gaming Discussion) and then there are some Yamaha engines.

It's Notch's new game. Sounds interesting. I'm always a sucker for sci-fi.
Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/04/03/notch-names-his-space-game-0x10c-says-its-pronunciation-is-a-riddle/

Well, upon reading it seems like Notch has been talking to experienced scientists and engineers. We knew the duct tape secret wouldn't last forever :(

All right, everyone start trying to solve the riddle!

Let's see: since this is a space game, "c" obviously stands for the speed of light, so 10c is ten times the speed of light. This, presumably, is how fast the player's ship will fly.

But wait! The entire name is 0x10c, which means that you have to multiply 10c by 0.....which means that you are going zero times the speed of light. Which means you aren't moving at all. That's lame.

Unless! That "x" is not a multiplication sign, but another variable! But then, the expression would still equal zero. So you still aren't moving.

I therefore conclude that Notch is developing a revolutionary new game where you can move by standing still.

One of the meanings is surely that 0x indicates the number which follows is in hexadecimal, and 10c in hexadecimal is the number 268.

Moonmover:

Let's see: since this is a space game, "c" obviously stands for the speed of light, so 10c is ten times the speed of light. This, presumably, is how fast the player's ship will fly.

But wait! The entire name is 0x10c, which means that you have to multiply 10c by 0.....which means that you are going zero times the speed of light. Which means you aren't moving at all. That's lame.

Unless! That "x" is not a multiplication sign, but another variable! But then, the expression would still equal zero. So you still aren't moving.

I therefore conclude that Notch is developing a revolutionary new game where you can move by standing still.

Maybe your ship doesnt move itself but the universe around it?

odBilal:

Moonmover:

What happens when more than one ship does that at a time? Scary thought.

Moonmover:

odBilal:

Moonmover:

Putting all this into consideration...that actually would make for an interesting game.

Moonmover:

odBilal:

Moonmover:

I dont know. But thats how the ship of the futurama crew flies

it's not 0x10c, it's 0x10c. so 10 to the power of c, not 10 times c. >.> right?

Moonmover:

you're right, the 0x really does imply that it's hexadecimal, and therefore 0x10c = 1612 = 281474976710656 which is incidently 1988 away from the settings year of 281474976712644 AD....no wait, I think I misunderstood you :O
(sorry, felt the urge to word it that way XD )

Akytalusia:
it's not 0x10c, it's 0x10c. so 10 to the power of c, not 10 times c. >.> right?

probably.
EDIT: man those [ sup ] tags really come in handy

isometry:
One of the meanings is surely that 0x indicates the number which follows is in hexadecimal, and 10c in hexadecimal is the number 268.

That would be my thought. But it's 10C, so it's in fact a far larger number.

I think everybody's overlooking the most simple suggestion:

Notch fell asleep at his keyboard trying to think up a name for his new game, and these are the keys he hit with his face.

Well 0x indicates Hexadecimal and 10 in hex converted to ASCII returns ?. c is the constant for the speed of light. so "?^speed of light"?, "?^3e8"?
I'm now very intrigued.

Notch is awesome. We need more info though.

Moonmover:

I theorise

X ten to the (speed of light)
Extend to the speed of light.

I did a lot of reading on the site as well as the minecraft forums. Long story short, you have a ship with a 16-bit fully-programmable computer, and you are in the FAR future where space has expanded so large that stars are long gone and galaxies are hundreds of billions of lightyears apart.

Also, there is a rumor that "0x10c" is a partial play-on-words, where it is pronounced "zero x-ten-cee", or "zero existence". Or it may be the hex decimal thing...

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked