Unlock everything on BF3 the easy way! For a (hefty) price.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/342589/battlefield-3-ultimate-shortcut-dlc-costs-pound2750-on-xbox-live/

I can't... I don't... What?! EA are now letting you unlock all weapons, vehicles etc instantly on Battlefield 3 for, get this; 3200 MS Points. Apart from this ruining the spirit of the game (I can understand this sort of thing on a game like LBP where the focus is on making stuff, but not on an FPS), I can't believe they have the cheek to charge so much; It's more than the damn game. I know you don't have to buy this but... wow. Just wow.

They did the same thing for Bad Company 2, although it wasn't nearly as expensive. As others have said on other forums, though, a crappy player will still be crappy, regardless of his gear.

We are well aware of this.

I said it in there and I'll say it out here: I don't care. I really have no problem with this in any way, shape, or form. If it does not give them an advantage (For example: they get a M16 when non-paying customers get water pistols), have at it.

Hazy992:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/342589/battlefield-3-ultimate-shortcut-dlc-costs-pound2750-on-xbox-live/

I can't... I don't... What?! EA are now letting you unlock all weapons, vehicles etc instantly on Battlefield 3 for, get this; 3200 MS Points. Apart from this ruining the spirit of the game (I can understand this sort of thing on a game like LBP where the focus is on making stuff, but not on an FPS), I can't believe they have the cheek to charge so much; It's more than the damn game. I know you don't have to buy this but... wow. Just wow.

I thought the spirit of games was to play them and have a good time? Unolocking everything for a class can be a major time sink and not everyone has that kind of time. Its not like you're buying power either, everything thats unlocked can be earned by playing the game.

The other thing is how unlocks are looked at in this game. If you dont have at least flares and you jump in a jet or helicopter you tend to be looked at unfavorably but it creates a paradox where, you have to fly these crafts to get the points for unlocks but you shouldnt fly them unless you have the unlocks. Its a catch 22

Ill agree that $40ish for everything seems pretty out there but I also doubt people would pay the whole thing upfront rather then getting whatever applies to them.

I really dont see the problem, the games been out for awhile now so all the players who play a lot have their unlocks. Why's it so wrong to buy say the M98B, a statistically better sniper rifle when you could get anyway?

I can see why such a thing in BF3 can be an attractive offer. The set up for BF3 is VERY unfriendly towards new player since anyone who's been playing longer than you has a VERY huge advantage over you since they have better guns, class equipment, and weapon attachments. Not to mention you become a very real burden to your team if you jump into a vehicle without having the Perks that make them useful. Jets are almost useless until about 30 kills or so into it when you unlock things like Missiles and Flares. The game just feels like you have to wait to unlock the "FUN" perk before you're allowed to have any.

I think if they lowered the price to $10 a class it'd be more acceptable, but $40 a kit is just outrageous.

It's not cause I think it gives players an advantage, it's just that to me personally part of the fun on FPS games like this is unlocking stuff, and it just negates that. Why bother working your way up (and improving your skills) when you can just unlock jets and stuff straight away? It's like cheats; if you're using them to just fly through the game with no challenge, what's the point?

And 3200 points is far too much. I know it's not compulsory but it's taking the piss. Especially as this isn't a freemium game and it has an online pass.

Jitters Caffeine:
I think if they lowered the price to $10 a class it'd be more acceptable, but $40 a kit is just outrageous.

See that sounds more reasonable. Paying more than the game just to unlock stuff in game is just a piss take.

Hazy992:
It's not cause I think it gives players an advantage, it's just that to me personally part of the fun on FPS games like this is unlocking stuff, and it just negates that. Why bother working your way up (and improving your skills) when you can just unlock jets and stuff straight away? It's like cheats; if you're using them to just fly through the game with no challenge, what's the point?

And 3200 points is far too much. I know it's not compulsory but it's taking the piss. Especially as this isn't a freemium game and it has an online pass.

But that's the thing...YOU think it's fun to go through that grind. Not everyone wants to spend the first twenty hours of their gaming getting their ass kicked because they don't have the toys necessary to fight back.

I stopped playing WoW a month into it because I didn't want to sink all the time and money to get to the "fun" part.
I stopped playing Final Fantasy XIII because I didn't want to sink all that time into getting to the "fun" part.

I don't have time to go through a shit ton of death to get to the "fun" part. I've got plenty of other games and other things that need to get taken care of to spend so much time in misery so that I can "prove" myself.

I fully agree that $40 is way too much for everything but they can price it at whatever they want; you are not forced to do this at all. There's no way in hell I'd do this myself but if others value this deal, who am I to tell them they're playing wrong?

EDIT: Damn it, I told myself I wasn't going to get into this debate for the third time...

EDIT Again: $40 is for EVERYTHING to be unlocked. You can unlock individual classes for 560 MS points ($7)

Windcaler:
snip. If you dont have at least flares and you jump in a jet or helicopter you tend to be looked at unfavorably but it creates a paradox where, you have to fly these crafts to get the points for unlocks but you shouldnt fly them unless you have the unlocks. Its a catch 22. snip

The latest patch has unlocked flares for all vehicles that need them. It was needed, because it was very hard to achieve anything without flares at this late stage in the game. I don't agree with the decision to allow flares to work on laser targeted missiles though, but I'll live with it.

The other night I quite happily spent $5 Australian to unlock the co-op weapons. I had unlocked up to the KH-2002 but I never wanted to play co-op again. Now I never have to. It was worth it to me, because I loathed the co-op. I find it easier to spend money than points though, the points system is a scam. I'd happily pay $5 for the CQB DLC just for the AUG Steyr, but suspect it may be more than that.

I would think the main point of an FPS is to shoot shit.

Anything that makes that more fun is good for me.

tippy2k2:

Hazy992:

But that's the thing...YOU think it's fun to go through that grind. Not everyone wants to spend the first twenty hours of their gaming getting their ass kicked because they don't have the toys necessary to fight back.

I stopped playing WoW a month into it because I didn't want to sink all the time and money to get to the "fun" part.
I stopped playing Final Fantasy XIII because I didn't want to sink all that time into getting to the "fun" part.

I don't have time to go through a shit ton of time to get to the "fun" part. I've got plenty of other games and other things that need to get taken care of to spend so much time in misery so that I can "prove" myself.

I fully agree that $40 is way too much for everything but they can price it at whatever they want; you are not forced to do this at all. There's no way in hell I'd do this myself but if others value this deal, who am I to tell them they're playing wrong?

EDIT: Damn it, I told myself I wasn't going to get into this debate for the third time...

I see what you mean but I'm guessing a lot of people would feel resentment for having unlocked everything the hard way and then they have to play with people who just cruised their way through.

You're right they have every right to sell it at that price; they could sell it at $100 if they wanted. If people are willing to pay that much then by all means do so, but I still don't really like that they're doing it.

Hazy992:

tippy2k2:

Hazy992:
snip

snip

I see what you mean but I'm guessing a lot of people would feel resentment for having unlocked everything the hard way and then they have to play with people who just cruised their way through.

You're right they have every right to sell it at that price; they could sell it at $100 if they wanted. If people are willing to pay that much then by all means do so, but I still don't really like that they're doing it.

Well, what are they going to resent more?:

A new person coming in who has a fighting chance but paid for their weapons?

OR

A new person coming in who completely drags down the team because they don't have the equipment necessary to compete?

Don't know about other players but I'll take the new person with $$$ who stands a fighting chance over the new guy who is just going to get his ass handed to him because his pea shooter can't stand up against the enemies lock on super death ray.

I don't get this "he needs the practice anyway!" attitude I keep seeing (not from you, just general rant now). I've been gaming for years and BF3 isn't terribly complicated...I don't need practice, I need weapons that will give me a fighting chance.

Example: The Medic classes useful thing (the defibrillator) took me approx. ten hours to unlock (granted, I've never played the BF series so some of this was probably me getting used to BF versus my usual FPS CoD). TEN HOURS to unlock something that seems pretty damn basic for a medic. It takes me that long because the "heal kit" is basically useless for leveling and so I have to use this sorry excuse for a beginning gun to take people out. Seriously...trying to sneak up behind people and knifing their ass has a bigger success rate than getting into a straight-up firefight with this POS weapon.

Also, I put an edit into that last post but I think I took too long so you may not have see it. It cost $40 for everything to be unlocked; only $7 per class if you choose to just focus on a single class.

tippy2k2:

Hazy992:

tippy2k2:

snip

snip

I see what you mean, but that's just the sentiment I get from the communities of those sorts of games. 'Hardcore' (hate that word) players are pretty unaccomodating of new players at the best of times, and this would probably make a lot of them (not all) more hostile to 'noobs'. Besides I think they'd be more pissed off at playing against a new player with good equipment than having them on the team. They probably wouldn't object to the latter quite so much

It was said on totalbiscuits mailbox this monday and Ihave to agree with him, why can't we play the game to just play the game, its like the devs think we'll lose interest in their game if we aren't constantly unlocking stuff in some arbitrary persistent system that has been put in place.

I think being able to skip the grind and not be at a disadvantage, or a hindrance to my team, by just buying my way to where I want to be is perfectly acceptable, especially several months after release where any new player is at an extreme disadvantage going up against people who have more experience with the game and vastly superior weapon loadouts than what comes by default.

Doesn't Valve do something like this with Team Fortress 2? Except in the way Jitters Caffeine describes it?

scorptatious:
Doesn't Valve do something like this with Team Fortress 2? Except in the way Jitters Caffeine describes it?

Not really, for one thing tf2 is now free to play, also most if not all the weapons are sidegrades or reskins rather than full upgrades that make you just plain better like of the unlocks in bf3.

Basically you can stand on equal footing with other players using the default weapons in tf2 which isn't the case in bf3.

darkstone:

scorptatious:

Not really, for one thing tf2 is now free to play, also most if not all the weapons are sidegrades or reskins rather than full upgrades that make you just plain better like of the unlocks in bf3.

Basically you can stand on equal footing with other players using the default weapons in tf2 which isn't the case in bf3.

I agree about the re-skin/side graded weapons and the game being free-to-play. It's just that you have the option to buy anything you want if you don't want to wait to unlock it through playing the game. Sort of like what EA is doing here. Except you have to buy everything rather then choose specifically what you want.

distortedreality:

I thought it was to abuse the physics engine and grief people with Claymore spinners and jet ramming, but then again, I've never seen it played otherwise.

octafish:

Windcaler:
snip. If you dont have at least flares and you jump in a jet or helicopter you tend to be looked at unfavorably but it creates a paradox where, you have to fly these crafts to get the points for unlocks but you shouldnt fly them unless you have the unlocks. Its a catch 22. snip

The latest patch has unlocked flares for all vehicles that need them. It was needed, because it was very hard to achieve anything without flares at this late stage in the game. I don't agree with the decision to allow flares to work on laser targeted missiles though, but I'll live with it.

The other night I quite happily spent $5 Australian to unlock the co-op weapons. I had unlocked up to the KH-2002 but I never wanted to play co-op again. Now I never have to. It was worth it to me, because I loathed the co-op. I find it easier to spend money than points though, the points system is a scam. I'd happily pay $5 for the CQB DLC just for the AUG Steyr, but suspect it may be more than that.

When was this patch? Because I just got the jets flares maybe a week ago (Ive hardly touched jets and quite frankly I suck with them).

I don't see a problem with this. The game isn't insanely unbalanced, and getting all of the unlocks for a class (or all of the classes, if you're a rich snob) isn't going to make a bad player into a good player.

Plus, look at it this way: Starting off a new class that you've never played before is kinda sucky when everyone is at the same level as you. Trying to do so when everyone else already has most things unlocked is annoying as hell. These shortcuts weren't added until just now, when new players would be getting frustrated because of their lack of equipment and stuff.

If they want to throw money at this, I say let them.

Windcaler:

When was this patch? Because I just got the jets flares maybe a week ago (Ive hardly touched jets and quite frankly I suck with them).

360 patch came out today. PC patch a few days ago, PS3 a week or so ago.

scorptatious:

darkstone:

scorptatious:

I agree about the re-skin/side graded weapons and the game being free-to-play. It's just that you have the option to buy anything you want if you don't want to wait to unlock it through playing the game. Sort of like what EA is doing here. Except you have to buy everything rather then choose specifically what you want.

the reason why the two situation are fundamentally different is that in the case of tf2 it is completely optional if you want to buy from the store because none of the items are clearly superior to the default set, not so with bf3 if you were to buy the game today and jumped straight into multiplayer your character would be at a clear disadvantage against those that have been playing for months.

In a way if you want to play the game and not be a liability for the rest of your team due to having low damage low accuracy weapons, no perks so you die quicker, or can't use vehicles effectively, then it almost seems like a mandatory purchase( and with a 40 dollar price tag that makes it a bit galling ).

I say most of this because I remember a similar situation with bad company 2 which I had purchased several months after release and seeing first hand how a newbie with no unlocks was very ineffectual to the match, hell I'd call it a good round if were to manage to get a kill on my own that didn't end up being an assist.

distortedreality:

The clarity...it's blinding...my eyes!

well i think being shot to shits without all the cool awesome shit actually is a good motivator to be a better player. being creamed = motivation to unlock all the cool shit.

Jitters Caffeine:

It is $40 for everything, not just one kit.

OT: I am fine with this.

chadachada123:
I don't see a problem with this. The game isn't insanely unbalanced, and getting all of the unlocks for a class (or all of the classes, if you're a rich snob) isn't going to make a bad player into a good player.

Plus, look at it this way: Starting off a new class that you've never played before is kinda sucky when everyone is at the same level as you. Trying to do so when everyone else already has most things unlocked is annoying as hell. These shortcuts weren't added until just now, when new players would be getting frustrated because of their lack of equipment and stuff.

If they want to throw money at this, I say let them.

I wish I could give you a cookie of awesomeness. I only wish you were there for the comments section of the official Escapist news article on this...

The latest update kinda changes everyones weapon loadout, well, it actually resets it pretty much. I used to go with the G36 in support, but they increased the recoil and now the gun is pretty much redundant. Not getting the same kills, dying more, but it's OK - I think everyone was struggling a bit with their new loadouts.

What is cool though, is you can rent a server - planning to do that over a weekend just so I can experiment with the maps, find some good camp sites, base steal strategies etc. Ohh, and I might be able to practice my piloting in peace!

The best addition though, is that bloomin quit button inbetween games.

tippy2k2:

I totally agree here. Personally I juggle my gaming time between DotA 2 / SC 2 / BF 3 and the rest (some other PvP, some single player), so I hate to grind to be on equal footing, that was my main reason to quit WoW and to always avoid LoL like the plague.

It would certainly make me happier to see it cheaper, but on principle I LIKE MY PvP BALANCED, not some grinding BS.

Hazy992:
Besides I think they'd be more pissed off at playing against a new player with good equipment than having them on the team.

They will only complain about playing against a new player in good gear if they lose... in which case they sucked and need to L2P... seriously losing agianst a noobie in any "skill based" PvP is sad.

I don't care. Let people with money to burn do so and fund the company so they don't try to target me next.

Time has more value for some people than it does for others. Some people can afford to grind, some people cannot. Give the latter people an option, especially as the game has been out for 6 months now.

crono738:
They did the same thing for Bad Company 2, although it wasn't nearly as expensive. As others have said on other forums, though, a crappy player will still be crappy, regardless of his gear.

To be fair, better gear in the game does confer an edge. The Famas is one of the best all-purpose assault rifles in the game. The 1014 becomes a lethal all purpose tool with simple optics and frag rounds. The Glock 18 is both an excellent last ditch weapon as well as a viable primary weapon when clearing close spaces. Sure, a bad player will still be bad but lets not pretend gear choices are democratic.

Of course, were it not for all my suffering in the use of weapons without optics I would not appreciate their value. Were it not for all those times I lost in close quarters to the G18, I wouldn't realize its potential. Were it not for the skinner box inherent to the unlock system, I probably wouldn't have played for as long as I did.

Honestly, if someone wants to blow 40 bucks cutting to the end, I say let them.

Eclectic Dreck:

crono738:

To be fair, better gear in the game does confer an edge. The Famas is one of the best all-purpose assault rifles in the game. The 1014 becomes a lethal all purpose tool with simple optics and frag rounds. The Glock 18 is both an excellent last ditch weapon as well as a viable primary weapon when clearing close spaces. Sure, a bad player will still be bad but lets not pretend gear choices are democratic.

But a bad player with good gear will still lose to a good player with good gear, or even really a good player with bad gear. The point is that now you don't have to be a bad player with bad gear, and never be able to become better because you keep getting taken out by everybody with good gear.

If I played BF3 regularly anymore I'd probably do it.

I don't play a whole lot, but I've never understood the whole unlock progression idea that FPS games are coming out with recently. Done right, and it doesn't give any major advantage.

Done wrong, and long term players will rip new players to shreds a few months in. Try flying a jet when you don't have any unlocks in BF3 at the moment.

This sort of thing should really be an option from the start.

as long as it's just quick unlock, ok. not such a big deal since the weapons are balanced either way. the starting guns are among the most versatile and best you can get.

however, i don't like the direction this is going in. in another year or two they will sell a double health boost for 20$, or new, better guns than the default ones for 30$.

Hazy992:

It's not really against the spirit of the game, but the price of this unlock is ridiculously high. The unlock tree for that game is needlessly long. The game is balanced as far as weapons go, but some of the unlocks take forever. Why? If its' all preference then why are the unlocks tier'd?

If this unlock bundle was day 1 then I'd be calling foul play. It would have come across as if they made the game unlock tree needlessly long with the intent encouraging people to buy the $40 unlock pack. They didn't so it's fair play in my book. IT gives new players a chance to unlock some items and become more competitive. They are already disadvantaged because of a lack of experience.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked