Self-Satisfaction: The Story of the Dark Souls Player

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I just beat Ornstein and Smough for the first time in Dark Souls after an entire day's worth of attempts and I just HAD to post. I'm so fucking pumped right now RAAAAAAAAGH!!!!

For discussion's sake, what game (or section of a game) have you beaten that was so jaw-clenchingly, face-palmingly, controller-slammingly difficult but ultimately provided immense self satisfaction upon completion?

Wait till you fight the Four Kings.

Ornstein and Smough are two of my favorite bosses in Dark Souls. :)

OT: Beating Super Meat Boy in the Dark World. The last level took hundreds of tries, and when I finally beat it, I found myself cheering.

I remember back when I first beat O and S solo. That was a frustrating time. These days they are actually my favorite boss fight.

Now Four Kings, that fight is a true pain in the ass. I've only ever found one strategy that works regularly, regardless of what type of character I'm playing. At least Gwyn can be beaten without parrying, it's just difficult. If you aren't wearing super heavy armor against Four Kings, you might as well unequip the Artorias ring and save them the trouble of killing you.

I'm trying to do a low level run for Dark Souls and I'm getting this feeling exactly. I had about 15 humanity that I wasted completely on trying to recruit people for Quelaag, so I had to beat her solo at SL 6. It was very exciting stuff, knowing a single hit could possibly kill you.

Ordinaryundone:
I remember back when I first beat O and S solo. That was a frustrating time. These days they are actually my favorite boss fight.

Now Four Kings, that fight is a true pain in the ass. I've only ever found one strategy that works regularly, regardless of what type of character I'm playing. At least Gwyn can be beaten without parrying, it's just difficult. If you aren't wearing super heavy armor against Four Kings, you might as well unequip the Artorias ring and save them the trouble of killing you.

Well to be fair Four Kings does diddly squat in terms of damage if you keep hugging him. A 100% physical block shield also really helps, so you'll only have to watch out for his magic.

Dansen:

4 Kings were much less of a trouble for me, they are only really dangerous if you try to fight them ranged.

I'm doing my first play through. Was looking for the second Bell of Awakening, took a wrong turn down the Great Hollow. Got myself cursed, now I can't kill Chaos Queen Quelaag with half health because I can't summon anyone, de-hollow or kindle the nearest bonfire, and I don't remember how to get back to the sewer lady that sells Purging Stones...

ohgodimnevergoingtogetoutaliveicantdothisgamehelpmeohgodhelpmehelpmehelpme.....

*slap*

TRY. HARDER.

You can also get purging stones from the crazy Inquisitor dude in the first Bell-tower.

Dansen:

This. Ornstein and Smough might be dang hard, but Four Kings are just cheap. "Oh, you are killing me? Take your time, I'm in no rush. Oh that guy? Don't mind him, he's just me. Keep taking your time. Oh that other that guy? Yup, just another me, they appear every so often. But don't worry, take your time, it's cool. Oh, you're going to try and rush so they don't appear this time? Ok, well try not to get too panicked about it, you might make silly mistakes like not dodging this unblockable grab that steals your humanity and takes forever so another me appears. Oh, you forgot to dodge that?"

From your description there is only one such boss: Ornstein & Smough :) I'm still pissed thinking what I have gone through with this f... boss. Each time was a torture to beat it.

How come no one is mentioning the Bed of Chaos?
That bitch is the only boss in the entire game (Dark Souls) that relies on platforming.
Not to mention its attacks are the kinds with outrageous knockback, and did I mention that as the battle goes on the floor falls away, leaving permanent insta-death fall zones?
Well I just did.
Oh, and Lord Gwyn? Fuck you. Fuck you and all your offspring and ancestors.
When a boss makes King Allant seem like a pushover, you're in trouble.

Arbi Trax:
I'm doing my first play through. Was looking for the second Bell of Awakening, took a wrong turn down the Great Hollow. Got myself cursed, now I can't kill Chaos Queen Quelaag with half health because I can't summon anyone, de-hollow or kindle the nearest bonfire, and I don't remember how to get back to the sewer lady that sells Purging Stones...

ohgodimnevergoingtogetoutaliveicantdothisgamehelpmeohgodhelpmehelpmehelpme.....

*slap*

TRY. HARDER.

Go back to where you fought the two Bell Gargoyles.
There's a merchant who sells purging stones for 3000 souls.

What? Four Kings is a joke until NG+ in which they become a joke on the opposite side of the spectrum. They are not as hard as O+S in a normal game.

Ordinaryundone:

The way to beat O & S solo is to take out O first, partly because he's the easier of the two to kill and partly because the second part of the fight is easier with a powered up S rather than a powered up O.
Now, about the Four Kings, I actually beat them using light armour the first couple of times (before I found the heavy approach to be effective).
While it is much harder, it is possible if you can do high damage and dodge the nastiest attacks.

I needed help to beat both S and O and the Four Kings. Granted my last character was an archer and therefore terrible against the Four Kings.

Wayneguard:
I just beat Ornstein and Smough for the first time in Dark Souls after an entire day's worth of attempts and I just HAD to post. I'm so fucking pumped right now RAAAAAAAAGH!!!!

For discussion's sake, what game (or section of a game) have you beaten that was so jaw-clenchingly, face-palmingly, controller-slammingly difficult but ultimately provided immense self satisfaction upon completion?

I just played through Dark Souls again recently. But it was as a Magic character so Smough and Ornstein were just pathetically easy. The first time I beat them sounds similar to you though. Solo-ing them with a pure melee character is a more difficult but rewarding battle.

Congrats. Now go do the most irritating parts of the game!

Self-Satisfaction: The Story of 3DSexVilla Player

The first time I beat them I ended up just hurling dung pies at super-Ornstein (I wanted his armour!!) and fleeing until he died of poison. This was about day 4 of tries.

I somehow still felt proud of it.

The first time I felt really pumped when I defeated those bastards. I went into this without knowing how to defeat them, their weaknesses or proper character-build. Swinging my +2 Scimitar with the Darkwood Grain ring and light armour, I could stay alive indefinitely but dish out damage I couldn't. When I did, it was in the most cheap way; enchanting my blade with the Fire effect and killing Ornstein before switching to a lightning spear and killing Smaugh.

Not a couple of days ago, I beat them in another run. Now, swinging a +5 Black Knight sword, wearing full Silver Knight armour and hiding behind the Eagle Towershield, I was able to kill them with only two deaths. I defeated Ornstein in the second half, because I wanted to buy his armour from Dude-Sits-Under-Bridges.

I felt like a bigger boss the second time.

But like said before, the Four Kings are a much bigger challenge, because they're pretty cheap. If you get Heavy Armour, you'll get swarmed by their grab attack. If you wear light, you'll get killed by their swings that have a massively wonkey hitbox.

They're still chumps though, I managed to kill them the first time without any help.

King of Asgaard:

The great thing about Dark Souls is that you can kill Gwyn's offspring and ancestors.

I do hate the Bed Of Chaos, but then I think how hard it would be if the entire Boss respawned its bits, and im grateful.

i beated bed of chaos yesterday. not a hard boss, but you will always die because this boss works with phases and not with normal health. so yeah i died and lost 90.000 souls. in needed help with ornstein and smough, but after the first kill, the boss becomes easy. four kings was really easy, only problem was the fast lost of stamina.

N. that game was just...seriously...i can't even word it. It's free and tiny, play it!

N.

Mr Pantomime:

King of Asgaard:

The great thing about Dark Souls is that you can kill Gwyn's offspring and ancestors.

I do hate the Bed Of Chaos, but then I think how hard it would be if the entire Boss respawned its bits, and im grateful.

Amen to that sentiment, friend. If that was the case, no one would win that fight.

Apologies for posting so much in this thread, but after a victory, does anyone else yell 'Vae Victis!'?
'Cos I do.

lapan:

Dansen:

4 Kings were much less of a trouble for me, they are only really dangerous if you try to fight them ranged.

Even more trouble if you summon Beatrice. I swear it makes it harder. I've soloed that with a ... I think it was a level 50 Sunbro using a Sunlight Blade bandit's knife to carve my way through the first two, then a ... something weapon to kill the last two (I only just won with barely enough health to survive one of their close-range chip-damage hits, and no estus flasks). Then I also soloed with a lvl 30 Sunbro using the same set-up, except with a +5 Lightning Claymore as back-up (finished with one-hit of health but about 2 estus left).

OT: I think mine was NG+ O&S with my SL30 Sunbro (same one I killed NG Four Kings with). I Fire orbed my way through Ornstein with Solaire and a white phantom doing the same as me. Then we got to Mega-Smough, and Solaire died (it's a miracle he survived Ornstein), then at about 2/3 health, my phantom got arse-slammed and died (just before I could heal him). I ended up chipping him to death with a +7 fire composite bow with standard arrows (about 130 damage per hit I think it was, which was a bit over one half of the small bar-markers).

Mr Pantomime:

Bed of chaos was a dissapointment. At worst it could push you down a hole and wouldnt even regenerate. Now the dragon asses on the way to it, those were annoying.

King of Asgaard:

Once you get the timing on his attacks for parries down, that fight goes cruise control. You just have to die a bit to perfect the timing.

Beating Dark Link in OoT using just the sword and shield.

Beating Fiend Ryu on NGB's Mission Mode on Master Ninja without using any other melee weapon but the TDS and no cheap tactics.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

King of Asgaard:

Once you get the timing on his attacks for parries down, that fight goes cruise control. You just have to die a bit to perfect the timing.

The last time I fought him I beat him first try, because I had been training for parrying the entire game.
However, every time before, I beat him with a combination of pyromancy and a big axe.
I've never been very good at parrying anyway, so the fight is far from easy, but Hornet Ring + Crystal Magic Weapon is the stuff of dreams; I downed Gwyn in two parries and a Crystal Soul Arrow.

just beat it five minutes ago. it was great and took me around 60 hours to beat it. shame though that the last bosses aren't really that hard, starting from four kings. i hate tomb of gaints. like i hate dark places overall, but that places was just a dark Hell.

For me the worst boss fight was Flamelurker in my first playthrough of Demon's Souls. I was 100% melee so I couldn't just turn around him while spamming Soul Arrow and my spear thrusts were not very effective. But I absolutely wanted to kill him mano-a-mano. So there I was, dancing with him, dodging his blasts and poking him little by little, knowing that getting hit only once meant running all the way through the cave again (or dying multiple times trying to get down by the shortcut). The worst of it was that the more his HP went down, the more he was likely to go ape-shit crazy on me and spam blast after blast after blast until my stamina hit 0 and I couldn't roll.

So yeah, when I finally beat him it was a great feeling... until I got smashed like a fly by the Dragon God waiting just down the hall...

Captcha : salad days. Yeah there are days like that...

lapan:
Bed of chaos was a dissapointment. At worst it could push you down a hole and wouldnt even regenerate. Now the dragon asses on the way to it, those were annoying.

Dragon asses? What dragon asses. I saw no dragon asses. I did occasionally die by that titanite demon that stood between me and the bed of chaos. I hate those things.

Funnily enough, to me, my biggest victory was when I killed the Hellkite Drake. It's very existence had been taunting me for the entire game, but I just couldn't kill him. Every time I fought him, he'd just go in his lame "jump up and shoot fire on top of my head" mode, where he'd do nothing but that move.

So when I finally took him down, I felt unstoppable.

And then I fell off the bridge.

Back when the original xbox was top of the range and I was a rosy-cheeked lad I remember when I finally completed Halo CE and Medal of Honor Frontline. Those games took me probably a year and a half each to complete, so finishing them gave me a level of satisfaction I have probably never felt since.

I was so overjoyed with finishing MOH:F that I replayed the last level every single day for about a month to see the finishing cinematic.

The final level of Halo is a vehicle race on the warthog. The first time I tried it I got nowhere near the end and ran out of time, the second I entered the hangar bay with about 25 seconds to go, ran through the barrels as I got swarmed with flood and covenant, 10ish seconds left I realised I wasn't going to make it to the ship, but I ran on anyway desperate and hopeless, eyes glued to the timer. At around 7 seconds I just reached the long ramp to the ship there was no way I'd reach the Swordfish at the top, but I just ran on anyway, I could do nothing else, I could not give up. I was so close I was determined to keep going to the last second, even if I knew it was too far away. At 3 seconds the game cut to a scene of you reaching the ship, boarding it and escaping, because you didn't have to physically reach the ship to finish the game, just a bit up the ramp for the final cutscene to start.
I was emotionally drained and completely exhausted. It had taken almost two years to do it, but I finished the final level of Halo, with three seconds to spare, in a situation I had lost all hope in, but I did it. I escaped on the fighter, I blew up the ring, I killed the covenant and stopped the Flood. I was victorious.

Greyah:

lapan:

Dragon asses? What dragon asses. I saw no dragon asses. I did occasionally die by that titanite demon that stood between me and the bed of chaos. I hate those things.

You must have taken the shortcut from the Chaos covenant. That pretty much bypasses all of Lost Izalith. Plus Sunbro survives, which is nice. If you go the conventional way you have to fight two extra bosses and endure a trial of lava and tens of giant dragon asses. You can avoid all the asses if you know what you're doing, but otherwise they're a pain.

The Four Kings was my bane in that game, slaughtering me more than any other boss. After going through in NG+, O&S gave me more trouble than NG+ Four Kings.

hehe I'm waiting to get back to dark souls after I get my first pair of glasses...

The xbox revealed to me that I can't see for crap. Looking forward to it. :3

It feels so goddamn satisfying when you beat something in that game.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked