So Wasteland 2, how much should I kick in, or at all?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

For those of you that don't know this is going on.

I'm kind of on the fence with throwing in cash for the game or not. I know there are a lot of good people and aspects going into this project, and the outcome looks very favorably for a good game, but it's really all speculation. I'm a frugal gamer, I like to research my games, reviews, development process, people apart of the project, etc. I'm still a undergrad with only a part time job, so when I buy a game I want to maximize the enjoyment I'm getting.

So the economic side of my brain is thinking, "Hey it's a 12 month development process. If your kicking in it's going to be $50 and nothing less. Is it really enough money for the whole game? How secure is this Kickstart stuff (paranoia paranoia paranoia)?" and the biggest question "Will I like the game?"

While some of you may see this as a clear "YES why the hell not" scenario, I still have apprehensions. So any of you mind making an compelling argument to put my fears to rest? And a gold star if someone wants to play Devil's Advocate, makes it more compelling.

Well, you get a digital copy if you put in $15, which is half the amount you'd pay on release. And from what I know, Kickstarter is perfectly reliable.

Well it's 6 months of pre production before the 12 months and they estimate a release in October 2013 so if you don't feel like waiting that long then don't. If you like the 90s style of RPGs like Fallout and Icewind Dale then donate. If both then decide which one is more important. The thing I like about this though is the forums they have for people to list their opinions in (though some of them are freaking insane). When Brian had his announcement for trying to implement the social features in the game the game's forums exploded with discontent. He saw this and said he won't do that. Also I do trust them to make the game but I can't honestly say that they will with any evidence. No matter what it's all your choice on how much you like that style of game and how much trust you have in them.

It's $15 (or whatever you want to pay) for the game a fair number of the old Black Isle team want to make. It's a very open dev process run by some very good devs who make very good games. Plus, a Wasteland 2 success means more support for this type of unconstrained creative project in the long run.

if you like the old school rpgs then there really isnt a choice. you must donate.. join us ! join us in creating a new world of isometric goodness!

consider this fact: most of us who long for those types of "old school rpgs" are now at points in our lives where price of admission isn't that expensive either. Give it a shot I say.

put at least 15 in, that pays for your digital copy so you get back what you put into it.

$15 put down right away. Super stoked for this and Tim's thing.

I won't be funding it. Wasteland was a text based RPG. The same thing was done better with Fallout. That isn't to say I wouldn't consider purchasing the game should it come out. Based on the pedigree of a game that was hardly a game by modern standards who's most notable history came in the form of homage by different people entirely I simply don't have much faith that I'd like the product.

And, if there is one thing I'm not going to do is pay for a game based on nothing more than loose fragments of ideas before I even get to see what they've done with it. In much the same way that I wouldn't pay to see an as yet unmade movie based on Hagar the Horrible.

Eclectic Dreck:
I won't be funding it. Wasteland was a text based RPG. The same thing was done better with Fallout. That isn't to say I wouldn't consider purchasing the game should it come out. Based on the pedigree of a game that was hardly a game by modern standards who's most notable history came in the form of homage by different people entirely I simply don't have much faith that I'd like the product.

You do realize that when stripped of their respective "tones" wasteland and fallout are remarkably similar? And that while it'll keep the timeline and tone from wateland, along with the party system combat will be much more like Fallout, along with the isometric viewpoint. And that if they hit 2.1 mil Chris Avellone will assisting with writing specifics in the world and they will be using various obsidian design and dialogue tools like the ones that made the dialogue trees from Storm of Zehir.

ravenshrike:
You do realize that when stripped of their respective "tones" wasteland and fallout are remarkably similar?

Yes I do; I said as much in my post.

I'll simply rephrase your question as a statement: why do I want a new wasteland when I've been given five of them in the last 15 years?

ravenshrike:

And that while it'll keep the timeline and tone from wateland, along with the party system combat will be much more like Fallout, along with the isometric viewpoint. And that if they hit 2.1 mil Chris Avellone will assisting with writing specifics in the world and they will be using various obsidian design and dialogue tools like the ones that made the dialogue trees from Storm of Zehir.

My point isn't that I hate the idea. It's just that I've played that game. That exact game. Three times. There is nothing in that pitch that makes me excited because of this. That isn't to say that they won't make a game that forces me to say "Shut up and take my money" but simply that I'm not going to gamble my money based on an elevator pitch built on the fragments of a game that has already spawned enough versions to induce fatigue.

The difference is that when I'm shown a product I have some capacity to judge if it is worth my money. Here I'm being given a figure that is trivial with respect to modern game development budgets and an elevator pitch and being asked to help make it happen. I am taking a risk with the money I might choose to spend that is almost entire mitigated using the normal financing model. I'm funding a thing with no way of knowing if I'd actually want it once finished or even if it gets finished at all.

Personally I felt compelled to help them out, simply because Fargo founded Interplay, quite possibly the greatest video game publisher of all time.

I don't know if I'll like the game (if it's top-down rather than isometric, and if combat is text-based, I probably won't really), but I thought the cloth map would be nice to have, so I went for the $50 tier.

One million dollars.

I would sing a song about you in the pub next friday.

They still need about $200,000 to hit their goal to bring in Obsidian.

So...you should kick in $200,000.

What actual style is the game going to take?

I'm likely being very dense here, but I'm assuming they're not sinking $1.5m into making another text-based game?

I've been thinking they're going to make another iso-RPG like the original Fallout, but maybe I'm wrong....

Oirish_Martin:
What actual style is the game going to take?

I'm likely being very dense here, but I'm assuming they're not sinking $1.5m into making another text-based game?

I've been thinking they're going to make another iso-RPG like the original Fallout, but maybe I'm wrong....

You aren't wrong they have been saying they are going to make a RPG like in the 90s which is the decade that most of Black Isle's work was from.

Duh, the combat isn't gonna be text based ppl. I believe he already said that it was gonna be tactical turn-based combat--where you can actually maneuver your party members into positions and such.

Just put in $15. Maybe 30. Personally I think all those donations of $50 are mighty generous but also crazy.

There's no point in trying to circumvent the big publishers, if you still end up paying full price. When you don't have any middlemen and no big marketing campaign, it is only reasonable the game should cost less.

Other considerations: the combat system in this game may not necessarilly turn out the way you wanted. There's donations from fans who prefer fallout, jagged alliance or XCOM and even some fans of the old Bard's tale 2 system. No reviews and no demo here.

I'm supporting inXile and Kickstarter, but I'm not doing more than my share.

veloper:
There's no point in trying to circumvent the big publishers, if you still end up paying full price. When you don't have any middlemen and no big marketing campaign, it is only reasonable the game should cost less.

The point of circumventing the publishers is so you can fund a game that they would not, the game being cheaper is just a nice side effect. Also for $50 you get 2 copies of the game, a boxed copy and a digital copy, and lots of bonus goodies.

OT:Don't feel like you have to pay full price even $15 helps fund the game. Another thing to consider is that while this is a long time to wait for a game that you have paid for it also helps the game be better and helps show that this is a good way to fund games so that others will be encouraged to break away from publishers.
If you are worried about kickstarter's security you can always use paypal.

The point in in trying to circumvent the big publishers, is to get an rpg you actually want. Instead of another shitty action rpg #785656876487648564639473843697568795464396479865479645678645

Darknacht:
The point of circumventing the publishers is so you can fund a game that they would not, the game being cheaper is just a nice side effect. Also for $50 you get 2 copies of the game, a boxed copy and a digital copy, and lots of bonus goodies.

Correct. You don't even want to know what I'd pay for a proper Jagged Alliance 3, or a respectable Ultima reboot, or a new Master of Magic, or a new Starflight.

I would pay one million dollars.

I have to agree with Matt Denevic: The vast majority of kickstarted games will be shit. I'm pretty sure this will be one of them (even if I want it to be good sooooo badly).

How much is 'out the wazoo?' Because however much it is, that's what you should pay.

Granted, there's always the chance that this will be a colossal failure, but that's true of any pre-order -- which is what this really is, since you're getting a copy.

I don't think anyone's said this yet, but Kickstarter handles payment through Amazon, which seems very secure. So you don't have to worry about that part of the issue.

In terms of how much you should contribute, it's really about how much you trust Fargo and his team to deliver a classic RPG experience that's not the same as the fallout games. I sympathize with you; I always look at reviews before buying a game. I pitched in here because I love the old Fallout games, and I think that it will be different enough to really enjoy. It will also use the substantially more powerful technology that has been developed in the past decade or so, so it'll look a hell of a lot better.

It's not just going to be a carbon copy of the Fallout games.

I already donated $50 in sheer joy. Since it looks like Obsidian won't get to do Fallout 4, or possibly any more Fallout games at all, this is going to be the closest I'll get to the spirit of my favourite game franchise.

I would say kick in some support, just on principle. It's not much, and this is one of the few really promising projects with no developers attached. It's a good idea to support this kind of endeavour regardless of how much you like the end product.

Don't do it! If they reach $2.1 million they'll get Obsidian to co-develop. And you know how Obsidian games are... I think they have enough cash to get a decent game going as-is.

Gennadios:
Don't do it! If they reach $2.1 million they'll get Obsidian to co-develop. And you know how Obsidian games are... I think they have enough cash to get a decent game going as-is.

They're just bringing in Chris Avellone and using some of Obsidian's tools. It's not like they're hiring Obsidian to do QA.

Its can't hurt to put $15 in, thats a pre-order at half the price of the final game.

I put in 50 cor blimey British quid (that's $75) because the most important part is showing developers that we want a wider variety of games so bad we'll actually pay extra. Its sad that we need to bring this gap in the market for clever games to the attention of investors like this, they think so low of us its getting ridiculous.

I never even played these old style games I just want more depth FFS! Anyway its great to see the total racking up so high. I check that number every 2 days like clockwork and it warms my little gamer heart.

BloatedGuppy:
They're just bringing in Chris Avellone and using some of Obsidian's tools. It's not like they're hiring Obsidian to do QA.

Plus, in most cases it's the publishers that handle QA

Or, just, however much you want to...? That's, y'know, kind of the point of this Kickstarter phenomenon; you invest in what you want in the future.

If you're excited for Wasteland 2 and you've played games like it before, drop as much moolah as you want. You get cool bonuses and you're helping fund the game. That's badass.
If you've never played a game like it, don't put anything down, wait for it to come out, and see what you think. Or just, again, do what you want with your own money. That's how these things work - developers pitch ideas and if you want to make that idea as real as it can be, pay them.

Don't overthink it.

Norrdicus:

Shit...that's us.

We better do a good job, or we're going to be furious.

Mr Companion:

I never even played these old style games I just want more depth FFS!

You should correct that. No need to wait till W2 either.

I'm not saying not to pledge obviously, just saying the old school games are there for you to play now ! Want some suggestions ?

BloatedGuppy:

Norrdicus:

Shit...that's us.

We better do a good job, or we're going to be furious.

Only if you pledge the $75 or above for the early beta.

Anthraxus:

Mr Companion:

I never even played these old style games I just want more depth FFS!

You should correct that. No need to wait till W2 either.

I'm not saying not to pledge obviously, just saying the old school games are there for you to play now ! Want some suggestions ?

Sure! So long as they work on a modern computer, I loved playing Xcom recently but damned if I can get that thing to work properly. (High hopes for Xenonauts). I also tried the original fallout but the color scheme messed up, couldn't play system System Shock 2 because I couldn't take things from chests. If you know of some good ol games that work on a modern comp then ill be happy as anything!

Donated 100$. Will be interesting to see what they can cook up.
I've been waiting for a new, good RPG for so long, that it happens to be set in an apocalytic setting, even better.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked