51.8% (43)
51.8% (43)
No
48.2% (40)
48.2% (40)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Video Arcades, where art thou?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I was playing some KoF 98 and Last Blade 2 on the old MVS today (gotta keep them skillz sharp) and started to feel kind of nostalgic for the old days. I mean, seriously, we never actually see our opponents anymore, and all trash talk has to take place over a mic. It just doesn't feel the same to me. Anyone else miss the old arcades?

Well here in the barren wasteland that is the UK we never really had them, except for holiday resorts and theme parks and the like. I can't really miss them but it would have been awesome if we'd had an arcade in my town :(

I just miss the challenge of new blood. The random opponent finders just are not the same. I mean, seriously, you can go hours without anyone of any real skill appearing to challenge you in fighting games anymore unless you're a day one buyer, and even that peters out after a few weeks.

It just seemed more fun when you could go 'Hey, it's so and so. Let's see if he's improved' rather then 'Great, the sixtieth guy with a name that's a variant on teabagger007 this week. Well, let's see if he sucks or not...'

I never really went to them, considering I'm only seventeen. However, I do wish they were still around, because I always wanted to be able to go to one. I only even went to one once, and they didn't have anything special. It was fun playing DDR and Guitar Hero there though. I think there should totally still be arcades (not from a business standpoint). There are plenty of modern games such as those, and Super Smash, etc. that people would love getting together and playing.

The only problem is they can just play them in their homes...

Snap. There goes my logic. xD

The only arcades I had around my area died. I do like the feeling of having someone local to practice my skills against, but I got into fighting games recently so any chance I had of meeting someone local have dwindled considerably.

I'm doing my best to generate interest in fighting games in my friends though. I've been a little successful...but it just doesn't feel like it's enough.

So until the point where I have people who can spar with me that are at an equal or greater skill level I'm just playing online, for better or worse.

Fleetfiend:

The only problem is they can just play them in their homes...

Snap. There goes my logic. xD

Somehow I'm having a hard time picturing 25 people lined up to slug it out for prize money and a trophy at your house... LOL

(Or, even more amusingly, a black board with a list of players and characters that require them to take a handicap and how much of one [Billy Kane, Mai Shiranui, Nakururu])

It isnt just that the arcades are dead its that most gamers in general dont understand the games either and just pass them off as shallow simple games, that is excluding puzzle games and fighters.

Just about every arcade game is immensly complex and deep when played with a single credit or for a high score.

It also doesnt help that most gamers have this notion that gameplay mechanics (lives and continues are just the tip of it) that arnt in vogue atm are bad.

Games have to be played the right way to fully enjoy them. Been open to an different mindset when apporaching anything different helps, instead of been shakled by whatever preconceptions that modern gamers get drilled into them by reviewers and each other.

I have fond memories of the arcade days :(

Good thing a lot of my favorites are being re-released on XBL and PSN though! :D

I don't think 95% of the people here have even played in an arcade when they were actually relevant.

Regnes:
I don't think 95% of the people here have even played in an arcade when they were actually relevant.

Yeah, but frankly they should. (Never-minding I feel like I'm advocating some sort of gamer ren fair when I say that) it's jut a very different gaming experience then is offered by the random player generator that is modern matchmaking via things like PSN, and I think that a lot of the people that I've faced would benefit from it as a learning experience to improve their gaming skills.

You know, get up off the sofa, head down to the arcade and try to take on the champ that does 47 hit combos with one hand while eating Gen Tso's with the other. That and being able to put a face to a name also helps. I have very little recollection of anyone I've pulverized online, but can remember the name and face of every last person I faced in the Smithfield Street Arcade in Pittsburgh.

I suppose it's a much more personal experience than the anonymous random player online.

BaronIveagh:

Regnes:

Yeah, but frankly they should. (Never-minding I feel like I'm advocating some sort of gamer ren fair when I say that) it's jut a very different gaming experience then is offered by the random player generator that is modern matchmaking via things like PSN, and I think that a lot of the people that I've faced would benefit from it as a learning experience to improve their gaming skills.

You know, get up off the sofa, head down to the arcade and try to take on the champ that does 47 hit combos with one hand while eating Gen Tso's with the other. That and being able to put a face to a name also helps. I have very little recollection of anyone I've pulverized online, but can remember the name and face of every last person I faced in the Smithfield Street Arcade in Pittsburgh.

I suppose it's a much more personal experience than the anonymous random player online.

Those darn Asians still get this experience. I envy SOME of their gaming habits :(

BaronIveagh:

Somehow I'm having a hard time picturing 25 people lined up to slug it out for prize money and a trophy at your house... LOL

(Or, even more amusingly, a black board with a list of players and characters that require them to take a handicap and how much of one [Billy Kane, Mai Shiranui, Nakururu])

What I meant was that you could just play those specific games in your home, with your friends online or otherwise. The prizes and things are nice incentives though. I would definitely die to see some new fighting games in an arcade though. That would be wicked.

Theres always the option of building a MAME cab if you have the space for it (i dont)

Still you dont have to pay for each credit, nothing makes ppl play their very best than putting that last coin from their pocket into the machine

Fappy:

Those darn Asians still get this experience. I envy SOME of their gaming habits :(

I pray that on the last day the servers are up, and the final battle rages, my shield gone and my combos broken, that when I fall before the might of Jormungandr, that my high scores are deemed worthy by some passing valkyrie, and might be borne to Akihabara, where the gamer may live, forever.

Too young to have been around the arcade days and even if it was brought back then you wouldnt see me in any. Hey I have a reputation to live up to (Semi-popular kid at school).

BaronIveagh:

Fappy:

I pray that on the last day the servers are up, and the final battle rages, my shield gone and my combos broken, that when I fall before the might of Jormungandr, that my high scores are deemed worthy by some passing valkyrie, and might be borne to Akihabara, where the gamer may live, forever.

That was a beautiful sentiment. I will attempt to follow it up with this:

Ah, the good old days.

GethBall:
Too young to have been around the arcade days and even if it was brought back then you wouldnt see me in any. Hey I have a reputation to live up to (Semi-popular kid at school).

Misconception!

Actually in the old days arcades had their share of cool people who hung out there (because they were likely one of a handful of decent hangouts). Many arcades had reps for NOT being nerd friendly territory.

Regnes:

True most ppls experience of the arcades is the odd credit at the diner or that time they went to the mall with their parents and was given a few notes to keep them busy which they then pumped into one game to see the ending credits.

BaronIveagh:

GethBall:

Misconception!

Actually in the old days arcades had their share of cool people who hung out there (because they were likely one of a handful of decent hangouts). Many arcades had reps for NOT being nerd friendly territory.

Yeah I know that, but what im saying is if they brought the trend back then who would you see in it?

GethBall:

Yeah I know that, but what im saying is if they brought the trend back then who would you see in it?

Actually I think many of young bro gamers and gamerscore whores would be in their element, the arcade was where the original harcore gamer came from. Plus gamerscore and competative COD are quite similar to arcade highscore and VS play, only bastardised versions of them.

EDIT
Hell in Japan where the arcades are still alive, they have FPS/TPS type shooters all linked to each for LAN type play (some have mice even). Kinda ironic considering the home of the 3D shooter in the west

Fappy:

Ah, the good old days.

Indeed.

GethBall:

Depends on your location and what games they offer.

I have some nostalgia for an arcade I used to go to, but I don't see any reason to bring them back. We have the technology to play better games at home now.

I also am not complaining about online-multiplayer not being as good as multiplayer in an arcade, since I hardly ever play online. I usually play multiplayer games with my actual, fleshy friends from the Physical World in my Real Wooden House (or theirs.)

Arcades don't really exist in the UK in the same way they used to in America. But I do wish I had played in an arcade with a community of people getting together to play games after school or something.

I don't really know why. We have much stronger games at our own house now, arcades don't really need to exist anymore.

Dead, because I stopped playing em and moved my gaming here, to my home. Cant say I miss the arcades.

Fishyash:

I don't really know why. We have much stronger games at our own house now, arcades don't really need to exist anymore.

I'm not arguing that gaming hardware technology hasn't advanced from the hayday of the arcade (some modern arcade machines that, sadly, are no longer brought to the US due to low demand are actually much more powerful then most console systems. Though, in some ways, even an old NEO Geo MVS can do things that no console or PC can do, such as support a theoretically unlimited amount of RAM), I'm arguing that the experience of online gaming at home compared to head to head gaming at an arcade are different gaming experiences and that at least in my own experience, offers a superior competitive environment with a much higher socialization factor.

I will state that it's almost inevitable that arcades will make some sort of comeback, simply because full immersion is impossible with current home technology, and early systems are likely to be both bulky and expensive.

BaronIveagh:

Fishyash:

I'm not arguing that gaming hardware technology hasn't advanced from the hayday of the arcade (some modern arcade machines that, sadly, are no longer brought to the US due to low demand are actually much more powerful then most console systems. Though, in some ways, even an old NEO Geo MVS can do things that no console or PC can do, such as support a theoretically unlimited amount of RAM), I'm arguing that the experience of online gaming at home compared to head to head gaming at an arcade are different gaming experiences and that at least in my own experience, offers a superior competitive environment with a much higher socialization factor.

I will state that it's almost inevitable that arcades will make some sort of comeback, simply because full immersion is impossible with current home technology, and early systems are likely to be both bulky and expensive.

I didn't exactly mean stronger as in "stronger than arcades", that would be a terrible misconception. I meant consoles have evolved to a point (not just technologically) where it's much more convenient making games for consoles now. You have online play, online voice chat, the fact that if you make an arcade game now, it will probably run just as well on a console. An arcade cabinet's only advantage (which is also a disadvantage) is the real estate it normally takes, which gives you very unique controllers, and space inside the cabinet to make superior hardware. The only two real things going for it is the hardware and community. The community is now much smaller in the west. The hardware isn't an issue for most people. You can get the exact same game, and buy a specific controller if necessary (a fightstick to play KOF for example) to play the exact same game, and you don't have to put in 1 for one match.

I disagree with the idea that arcades will come back.

It will require hella good marketing for the arcades to come back in full force in the west. Japan seems to be doing really good apparently with their arcade scene though, and I am going to assume it's because Japan is a rather small nation with everyone living close together, the community is just much easier to maintain.

In regards to the competetive scene, the US has TONS of competetive tounaments going all across the country, for all kinds of games. However in the FG scene it's mostly street fighter, Marvel Vs Capcom or the new Street fighter x tekken. But if someone wants a personal competetive experience, they normally go to conventions or planned tournaments.

I think it would require too much effort from the industry in order to bring arcades back to their former glory. I would be all for it personally, it just seems so much fun, and I wish I was a part of it.

But realisticly, arcades just don't need to exist anymore. We have sufficient hardware at home, if you have a spare controller or a friend is willing to bring one, you can play your favourite arcades at your(friend's) house, without having to insert money every time you want to play. Or even more easily, just play with your friends online. Consoles are just plain more convenient, and the convenience outweighs the experience of being in an arcade. They won't come back until we see a new generation of kids visiting arcades as a common pastime again.

Moneysucking cashgrabs in facilities which encouraged sexism and racism as "trash talk"? Why the fuck should I miss those?

I do . But we have a video game lounge where i live . Basically it's a place where there is food , beer , many couches , many tv , and xbox360for each tv , 4 controllers for each xbox , a shit ton of multiplayer games( multiples games of each) , and the best part , modifed arcade mahines that can play any xbox360 fighting game. And all it costs is drink . Say i buy a 4 dollar beer at the begining of the day , i can stay there all day if i wish . Yeah montreal is awsome now.

Capcha : black jack . Yes captcha all we are missing now is hookers and blackjack ... Dammit wheres bender when you need him?

krazykidd:
I do . But we have a video game lounge where i live . Basically it's a place where there is food , beer , many couches , many tv , and xbox360for each tv , 4 controllers for each xbox , a shit ton of multiplayer games( multiples games of each) , and the best part , modifed arcade mahines that can play any xbox360 fighting game. And all it costs is drink . Say i buy a 4 dollar beer at the begining of the day , i can stay there all day if i wish . Yeah montreal is awsome now.

Capcha : black jack . Yes captcha all we are missing now is hookers and blackjack ... Dammit wheres bender when you need him?

Well that settles that. I'm moving to Montreal :D

Nah I hated pumping in quarters when I could play the game at home for free (or at least one time cost). Instead of wanting classic arcades I want arcades to be what they were originally for. To have games that were so high tech, bulky and expensive they couldn't be sold to a home audience. Imagine going to an arcade to play a virtual reality game or something.

As for things like community, I don't want to be involved with a community that thinks it's okay to be sexist.

My friends and i still play a variation of them, a console with custome made arcade like controllers. We just play king of fighters.

i still remember putting so much money into arcade starwars that i probably could of bought the damn machine and it was wonderful :D

Arcades are where I was born. Or my gaming habits anyway. I lived a couple of years in Coney Island which had a bunch of them. There was also a few nice ones around 42nd street. I almost got busted by a truant officer playing Silkworm in High School. There was also a time where almost every corner store or laundrymat had a cabinet or two and you would walk miles in the snow with 50 cents in your pocket for a couple of games of Double Dragon or Rolling Thunder. So yeah, I miss these places as they were a part of my childhood. Unfortunately as the world has become more violent, so have the youth and any attempt at a real arcade anymore is met with some punks stabbing or shooting somebody in it. Now all we have are a few Dave and Busters. Broken machines with the difficulty turned to 11 so they just eat all your credits.

TehCookie:

As for things like community, I don't want to be involved with a community that thinks it's okay to be sexist.

Hmm... never noticed that in the arcades I went to, but...

TehCookie:

To have games that were so high tech, bulky and expensive they couldn't be sold to a home audience. Imagine going to an arcade to play a virtual reality game or something.

That's what I was talking about when I said that arcades will likely make a comeback. A 'true' VR system is likely going to initially be pretty bulky and staggeringly expensive.

On the tourney scene: I hate to say it but with the rising cost of fuel, how long will that remain a practical option? My last run to one cost over $600 before hotel and entry fees. Tell me how that is better than the maybe $50 I'd spend a month at an arcade?

BaronIveagh:

TehCookie:

Hmm... never noticed that in the arcades I went to, but...

TehCookie:

To have games that were so high tech, bulky and expensive they couldn't be sold to a home audience. Imagine going to an arcade to play a virtual reality game or something.

That's what I was talking about when I said that arcades will likely make a comeback. A 'true' VR system is likely going to initially be pretty bulky and staggeringly expensive.

On the tourney scene: I hate to say it but with the rising cost of fuel, how long will that remain a practical option? My last run to one cost over $600 before hotel and entry fees. Tell me how that is better than the maybe $50 I'd spend a month at an arcade?

Not that long ago there was this huge issue of a girl being harassed at a tourney and one of the guys told her to suck it up and that it's part of FGC culture to be sexist (article). Seeing how you said you wanted to trash talk in person makes me want to avoid places like that.

As for fuel, that seems pretty ridiculous. Are you driving across the country in a gas guzzler?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked