Is the Witcher 2 sexist?

Pages PREV 1 2

Uh...there's a part of the game where Geralt, who becomes intoxicated with several other soldiers, wanders into a whorehouse in a drunken stupor, and attempts to mount a prostitute and ride her across a river "to get to Paradise". He also gets a nifty tattoo...so yeah...

I don't believe the game is intentially sexist, I think it is merely reflecting the fictional time period. This is sort of like Deadwood from HBO. It is simply how it is. I'm not upset by it, because I have other videogames and shows which provide equal-sex portayals.

...and Geralt seemed very ashamed after he woke up naked by the river...

No, I don't really find either of the Witcher games to be sexist. Yes, there are a few utterly ridiculous costumes and the collectible cards in the first game, but even those struck me as being more on the silly than the misogynistic side of things. In any case, the devs had the good sense to get rid of the cards and design more practical costumes for the second game, so they really don't strike me as hard-core woman-haters.

It is, however, a rough and dirty in-game universe: true dark fantasy, not high fantasy playing with ketchup and pretending to be grumpy. Nobody has it easy. Many of the women are treated as sex objects, but quite a few of the men come off as complete idiots who deserve everything they get and are too stupid to see coming from the various ladies in their lives.

Gethsemani:
(but unlike GoT, I do not get the vibe that CDProjektRed get a turn on from writing submissive women)...

Good post, but I feel I have to call you out here. GoT portraying submissive women? I'm afraid that you are either watching or reading a different series than I or just not paying attention when you are. I was actually surprised when I read the books at what a strong role martin placed women in where the setting does, typically, call for weak, submissive women. I suggest reading the first book if you havn't already.

On topic, Witcher II is a pretty amazing game. Several of the main characters are very strong women in prominent roles and I think the thought that it is any more misogynistic than other video games (where the demographic is mainly young males) is just silly. My opinion is that if you feel this way, that you might be a little sexually repressed and that the openness of the game makes you uncomfortable.

Is everything in your life going to be sunshine and rainbows? Your playing a game that has child molesters in it. That game get docked points because it shows it in graphic detail. It has a good story and it is vital to the plot to show you a truly evil person, then so be it. it is okay to cry foul if it pisses you off, but don't get mad at the game if it's in there. It's got women being treated as sex objects, how is that any different than what your bombarded with on a daily basis.

I wouldn't say it is sexist... it has a lot of sex in it, which I'm all in favour of. It's also very in-keeping with the books. The guy writes really strong women characters on a number of different levels, and I think ProjektRed managed to keep that going in the games. They have men and women across the spectrum of nice/evil/smart/dumb/pretty/ugly...

Zhukov:
snip

Sounds like someones got a serious case of 'stick up arse'.

It was a Jok....

Zhukov:

a) It wasn't a joke. Jokes are funny.

.................... :/

HHammond:
So I've been vaguely interested in the Witcher 2 a while now as I've heard "it's like a bioware game but better" but I remembered how awfully misogynistic the first game was and murmurs that the second game was pretty bad too. So I watched some videos of the game and wow oh wow that opening scene with Triss was bad. Really bad.

Now, I'm still interested in the rest of the game but I was wondering if it improves later or continues/gets worse? I find most games presentation of woman pretty bad but this just looked awful. Does it get better?

And I should probably just add to keep the conversation civil. I know stuff like this can get out of hand so I hope we can try and attempt to not let it and act like reasonable people.

What's sexist about the scene with Triss? It's just two lovers sharing an intimate moment, being interrupted by a pig of a guard. I don't see anything sexist there. Sure, there is gratuitous nudity, but I don't think nudity by itself is evidence of sexism.

Regardless, the setting is rather backward so there will be a bit of sexism. The game is primarily one that revolves around politics and war. Sex is a small part of it really.

If you are easily offended then give it a miss, but you'd be missing out on one of the best RPGs of this generation in my opinion.

TheRookie8:
Uh...there's a part of the game where Geralt, who becomes intoxicated with several other soldiers, wanders into a whorehouse in a drunken stupor, and attempts to mount a prostitute and ride her across a river "to get to Paradise". He also gets a nifty tattoo...so yeah...

I don't believe the game is intentially sexist, I think it is merely reflecting the fictional time period. This is sort of like Deadwood from HBO. It is simply how it is. I'm not upset by it, because I have other videogames and shows which provide equal-sex portayals.

...and Geralt seemed very ashamed after he woke up naked by the river...

Ah, right! I knew I had another playthrough to do - I hadn't done the soldier-y one. =) Time to take a break from ME3, methinks.

After playing it and its predecessor The Witcher it occurs to me that the two games don't really have anything good to say about either gender.

The whole collectible cards of Geralt's "conquests" thing is gone. But the story is set in a gritty, often gruesome world of violence, racism, corruption and a little sexism itself. The game does a very good job of portraying interesting characters from the loathsome to the...less loathsome ;-) Just play it, it's very good indeed.

Is the Witcher 2 sexist?

Damn right it is.

It jumped right off my shelf and told my wife to get in the kitchen where she belongs.

The monster.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked