Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut ~ It's Official :O

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Check it out.

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--BioWare, a Label of Electronic Arts Inc. announced Mass Effect™ 3: Extended Cut, a downloadable content pack that will expand upon the events at the end of the critically acclaimed Action RPG. Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will give fans seeking further clarity to the ending of Mass Effect 3 deeper insights into how their personal journey concludes. Coming this summer, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will be available for download on the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC for no extra charge*.

"We are all incredibly proud of Mass Effect 3 and the work done by Casey Hudson and team," said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder of BioWare and General Manager of EA's BioWare Label. "Since launch, we have had time to listen to the feedback from our most passionate fans and we are responding. With the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut we think we have struck a good balance in delivering the answers players are looking for while maintaining the team's artistic vision for the end of this story arc in the Mass Effect universe."

Casey Hudson, Executive Producer of the Mass Effect series added, "We have reprioritized our post-launch development efforts to provide the fans who want more closure with even more context and clarity to the ending of the game, in a way that will feel more personalized for each player."

Well shit, what do you guys think?

In case you don't follow the link it explicitly states it will be free. EA giving out something for free... today's one of those rare sorts I presume.

Pretty much what I expected. Nice that they're making it free, because oh the shitstorm if they hadn't.

I guess we'll just have to see whether "additional clarity and closure" will help make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Sounds great. Let's hope we get a good explanation for the Normandy sequence, which still doesn't make much sense to me.

Of course, most people will still hate it. It can't be helped.

This is me standing smugly atop my "I told you so" pedestal to all the cynical assholes who keep spewing venom about the game and that it "ruined the entire series for them"

Perfect. I won't have time to do a new Mass Effect marathon before summer anyway.

Free you say? Is it still Ea we're talking about?

Nimcha:
Sounds great. Let's hope we get a good explanation for the Normandy sequence, which still doesn't make much sense to me.

Of course, most people will still hate it. It can't be helped.

I don't even think the ending's most fervent defenders have come to any kind of logical explanation for that sequence. Apparently the ending sequence in general was carved up quite a lot during development including an entire scene removed where the Normandy was supposed to fight Harbinger after Shepard went through the Conduit and a lot of cut dialogue in other parts. Many people think that sequence would have been explained if a lot of the ending wasn't dumbed down the way it was.

Well you know what, Kudos to EA and Bioware.

As a fan who was put out about the ending, but didn't bitch, all i can say is fair dues to them.

Wait wait wait, stop. Did I just see FREE and EA in the same sentence? This year really is the end of the world then. Anyway really glad that they are doing something meaningful to fix the situation, I mean I wasn't one of the people who thought the entire game was ruined (ME3 is my favorite out of the lot) but I really did think the ending had a lot to be desired.

EA:
Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will give fans seeking further clarity to the ending of Mass Effect 3 deeper insights into how their personal journey concludes

It sounds like shit. We don't want answers. This isn't LOST. We want an ending that makes sense.

It was always intended to be free, so no surprise here.

This'll be fun to show to all the haters and DLC-doomsayers, though.

Kudos to them for making it free, but it's still a shame how this basically means this is the ending we're getting no matter what. As in, they're not going to scrap the whole thing or go with the indoctrination theory like I hoped.

/Deep sigh. Oh well, let's just see what they do.

*sighs* I swear this place has schizophrenia or something. One day you all are all like 'I can't stand the ending to Mass Effect 3, it is a terrifying instance of seeing what kind of greed our industry is capable of' and then the next moment, as soon as they announce the fixed ending that we all knew was going to be coming anyway, you all decide to start standing up and clapping.

You do know that they were likely planning on this from the beginning right? I mean, I'm almost positive that they didn't expect the shit storm they got from the original ending, but I can almost guarantee you that they were planning on releasing this with a cover price later down the line. It's extremely easy to cover up greed by just saying 'oh, we were planning on making it free all along... yeah' and calling it a day.

Have some consumer integrity already. I'm still not going to touch Mass Effect 3 with a 10 foot pole.

EDIT: And yes, I am aware of the fact that it's going to be free... I knew it was going to be free the moment I saw the whole mess about the ending arise in the first place. It doesn't change anything about how I feel about it though.

Well I guess it's a good middle ground. I wonder how they will fix certain plot holes.

I bet this won't satisfy half the whiners complaining about the ending. At this point Bioware are damned if they do damned if they don't.

SargentToughie:
*sighs* I swear this place has schizophrenia or something. One day you all are all like 'I can't stand the ending to Mass Effect 3, it is a terrifying instance of seeing what kind of greed our industry is capable of' and then the next moment, as soon as they announce the fixed ending that we all knew was going to be coming anyway, you all decide to start standing up and clapping.

You do know that they were likely planning on this from the beginning right? I mean, I'm almost positive that they didn't expect the shit storm they got from the original ending, but I can almost guarantee you that they were planning on releasing this with a cover price later down the line. It's extremely easy to cover up greed by just saying 'oh, we were planning on making it free all along... yeah' and calling it a day.

Have some consumer integrity already. I'm still not going to touch Mass Effect 3 with a 10 foot pole.

Okay, but it is going to be free dlc soo

Jitters Caffeine:
This is me standing smugly atop my "I told you so" pedestal to all the cynical assholes who keep spewing venom about the game and that it "ruined the entire series for them"

How so? Their whining made this extended cut possible.

I note an asterisk on the "no extra charge" part. Maybe it's not as free as we think...?

EDIT: Looking at it, it just says "offer expires 12/4/2014" followed by standard legalese. Everything is fine, nothing is broken.

Aww i was just about to post this lol

Anyway i don't actually see it being good butttt i'll give it a chance.
At least they're actually listening to people rather than just burying their head in the sand.

Antitonic:
I note an asterisk on the "no extra charge" part. Maybe it's not as free as we think...?

http://news.ea.com/portal/site/ea/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20120405005304&newsLang=en

It stops being free in 2014 for some reason...

mattttherman3:

I know that. Though I really should have clarified that in my post, fixed now. Off topic, I'm pretty sure that's Gundam Harute in Marie mode as your avatar, but I could be wrong.

I would laugh if their DLC after this was:
"CHOOSE YOUR OWN ENDING - PURCHASE BIOWARE POINTS TO PLAY THE ENDING YOU ALWAYS WANTED!"
I bet they would make a fortune...

I did not expect it to be free, so that's a pleasant surprise.

I'm also pleasantly surprised to see that Bioware aren't ditching the ending entirely, rather choosing to seek to explain how it could possibly make sense. That's also a plus sign.

There's hope in these guys.

I bet this won't satisfy half of the idiots crying about "integrity of art" and insisting nothing should ever be changed, ever, or else "dangerous precedent!".

Hey these blanket ad homs are fun. I can see why people like them so much.

Eh already traded in mine, and really no amount of 'explaining' will change that it was poor storytelling.
But good points on them for at least addressing it and making it free.

This had better be some serious 'explaining', preferably 'explaining' the whole starchild scene right out of existence. It was a shit ending and it needs to go.

By the way the BSN thread that broke the news has grown to nearly 25 pages in an hour. Can't say I am surprised >.>

SargentToughie:

mattttherman3:

I know that. Though I really should have clarified that in my post, fixed now. Off topic, I'm pretty sure that's Gundam Harute in Marie mode as your avatar, but I could be wrong.

Yes it is, good eye!

Well, guys, art is dead. I just went to the National Portrait Gallery and all the paintings were gone. What hath fandom wrought?

Kahunaburger:
Well, guys, art is dead. I just went to the National Portrait Gallery and all the paintings were gone. What hath fandom wrought?

As much as I'm bored with the whole 'games is art' debate, your point is equally stupid. Explaining a piece of work doesn't devalue it.

If this game is considered art, explaining the ending won't change that.

Nimcha:

Kahunaburger:

As much as I'm with the whole 'games is art' debate, your point is equally stupid. Explaining a piece of work doesn't devalue it.

He was being sarcastic :P

mattttherman3:

Yes it is, good eye!

Never underestimate my Gundam fandom.

Kahunaburger:

Are you being serious right now? Go watch this week's Jimquisition and come back to this thread. Artists change their work all the time based on audience opinion. Movies have test audiences in order to make sure that this stuff doesn't happen, they change their endings all the time. Charles Dickens and Shakespeare changed their work to fit audience command.

And besides, I refuse to let developers play the 'art' card anymore. If they want to be treated like a legitimate company, then the work that they put out isn't a piece of art, it's a product to be consumed, and I will judge it as such.

EDIT: So I just found out that your words may have been sarcastic, my bad if that's actually the case. It just sounds like something I wouldn't put past the more brain dead members of the community around here. Everybody wants to serve the developers on hands knees it seems like.

Kahunaburger:

Yeah, the statue of David is currently just lying down in rubble, most of the roof in the Sistine Chapel has caved in and I had a look and everyone of any talent in Hollywood had vanished without a trace.

Calumon: There is some weirdo shouting about explosions and robots though...

OT: Woo! Free DLC that might change an ending that was easily the worst ending I've ever seen to anything ever! Worse than Evangelion! Worse than the Transformer's Trilogy! Worse than Spore! Finally we can hopefully make sense of the ending and have something nice that can satisfy us.

Nimcha:
As much as I'm bored with the whole 'games is art' debate, your point is equally stupid. Explaining a piece of work doesn't devalue it.

Expanding on it is still changing it. What if the original vision was to have a short, mysterious ending that caused "lots of speculation"? That vision is now dead, replaced by the crass, populist demand for more closure. Following the "art must never be changed" commandment, we are now sliding down a slippery slope towards the doom of all artistic endeavor, forever.

BloatedGuppy:

Nimcha:

Expanding on it is still changing it. What if the original vision was to have a short, mysterious ending that caused "lots of speculation"? That vision is now dead, replaced by the crass, populist demand for more closure. Following the "art must never be changed" commandment, we are now sliding down a slippery slope towards the doom of all artistic endeavor, forever.

Have you seen that slope? It is quite slippery D:

It looks like gamers are starting to have a real voice in the industry, glad to see it. I hope its quality dlc that addresses fan grievances, and if it isn't, who cares, its free.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked