Fallout for Free on GoG for the next two days

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Have you ever wondered what that wondrous "Fallout" game a lot of people were playing was all about? Not the shootery one by Bethesda, but the good one, the original.
Or did you ever want to try it but didn't want to spend any money? Well you can now, since it is completely free on Good Old Games for everyone redeeming it in the next 2 days: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout/

You might also want to check the High Resolution Patch: http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42386

Screens @ 1650x1080:

Have fun.

But Fallout 2 is still $5.99. I see what they're doing... The first hit is free, and then they have you HOOKED. Those devious bastards.

Well, it's certainly worth that much.

I'd always considered giving it a shot, but the thought of the time limit on the game (Extensive as it is, it still bugs me >.<) always kept me from buying. Guess I have no excuse now :p

Free? That's entirely too expensive for my tastes.

Mittenz:
I'd always considered giving it a shot, but the thought of the time limit on the game (Extensive as it is, it still bugs me >.<) always kept me from buying. Guess I have no excuse now :p

The time limit is only up to a certain point in the game anyway. Once you've fulfilled a certain objective, the game gives you a lot more time. Just don't get too complacent! I won't say any more, to avoid spoilers, but as long as you aren't wasting time, the time limit isn't actually all that brutal.

I don't generally like the idea of a time limit either, but it really works well in this game, and just makes it a classic in one additional aspect. Like it needed any more!

Starnerf:
But Fallout 2 is still $5.99. I see what they're doing... The first hit is free, and then they have you HOOKED. Those devious bastards.

Plus, by accessing their website, you're exposing yourself to advertising even though Fallout 1 is free.

The devious bastards, THEY'RE USING THE TEAM FORTRESS 2 STRATEGY! D:

Finally I can get this game, I always wanted to try it! I found Fallout 2 for 50p in a charity shop and now I have them all!

I'll say this: even if you already have it from some other source, it's worth adding it to your account just for the extras. I've got a copy of the Fallout Trilogy DVD, and while it has the games and manuals, it doesn't exactly come with a copy of the Fallout Bible, nor does it have the soundtrack or a wallpaper, art, and avatar collection. GoG is awesome, is what I'm getting at here.

Shiny, I liked New Vegas, and while this is going to be completely different combat wise, it'll probably proc up my CLD quite nicely.

This seems worthy of a News post. The old Escapist set up had a news tip button. Where the hell is it now? I can't find it anywhere. And this CD Projekt is made of 100% pure Colombian grade awesome. Valve? Whose that?

Edit: Never mind I found it it's under the letters to the editor link on the bottom

Norrdicus:

Starnerf:

Plus, by accessing their website, you're exposing yourself to advertising even though Fallout 1 is free.

The devious bastards, THEY'RE USING THE TEAM FORTRESS 2 STRATEGY! D:

And to top it off Fallout 1 can be finished in about 8-10 hours. They are super devious. What with there putting DRM on the boxed copies of Witcher 2 and then releasing a patch 2 weeks later that takes it out.

Mittenz:

With older games like this that where made in the time before interactive tutorials you might want to consider using a walkthrough. This site has a bunch of pretty good largely spoiler free walkthroughs for old rpgs.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/fallout/walkthrough.php

Best advice I can give for your first play-through is take special and gifted as your traits. Max out your agility. Tag small guns, persuasion, and science. Tag energy weapons later when you have the opportunity. When you are first let out of the vault immediately go back inside. You can get some extra equipment and side quests. When you get to the first town recruit the guy in the leather jacket named Ian by offering him a "piece of the action". Explore the vault they tell you about (you need rope I think). Go back to the town. Rescue the chief's daughter from the bandits by persuading the bandit chief to let her go. Then go back to the bandit camp and kill them all (assuming you bought a sub machine gun). That should net you nice amount of xp and loot to help you on your way.

Also Read the manual!!!! This game was made in the days when you had to read the manual to understand how to play the game. Fortunately it was made in the days when companies put effort into their manuals so they were entertaining to read.

Fallout 2 is worth 5.99$ by itself? I got all 3 (1+2 and tactics) for 6 euro at retail. I plan to play again soon but the combat was a snooze-fest, not to mention mind-numbingly slow. I'll give another go soon though.

Starnerf:

Exactly then Fallout 2 gets them fully addicted and then they give all their remaining money to the Wasteland 2 kickstarter in order to keep up the habit. It's a devilish plan that I fully approve of :D

The Artificially Prolonged:

Starnerf:

Exactly then Fallout 2 gets them fully addicted and then they give all their remaining money to the Wasteland 2 kickstarter in order to keep up the habit. It's a devilish plan that I fully approve of :D

But I already bought Fallout, Fallout 2, and I have money on the Collector's Edition of Wasteland 2. What do I do to feed my addiction now?!

Well you can't beat free.

Mittenz:

There's a mod that removes the time limit; just find that.

Mittenz:

Yeah the time limit is only for the first stage of the main quest I think, and in true Fallout style I'm pretty sure you can ignore it.

Also in true Fallout style, I've already had my first crash :)

El Dwarfio:
Yeah the time limit is only for the first stage of the main quest I think, and in true Fallout style I'm pretty sure you can ignore it.

Also in true Fallout style, I've already had my first crash :)

Not sure if it's included with the GoG build or not, but there's an Unofficial Fan-Patch fixing Bugs and a few Quests and some other things over here: http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1075
http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/70108/fallout-v-1-3-5-patch-by-teamx-unofficial

Good thing I bought that last 'fallout hits pack' for 10 bucks or so, or else I'd have to shell out nothing right now and get it.

Dexter111:
Have you ever wondered what that wondrous "Fallout" game a lot of people were playing was all about? Not the shootery one by Bethesda, but the good one, the original.

Since when has introducing the ability to free fire been a bad thing for this franchise? Hell, since when has actual shooting been a bad thing? I'll still get this because the original is one of those "must plays" but Fallout 3 is also one of those "Must play" titles.

I just saw this on Reddit, already downloaded.

I started playing but it was super slow in-game and of course super low res. So I searched the gog forum on it and found a list of "recommended" patches, but unfortunately it seems most of the info is old and some don't work.

So then someone recommended this:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57362

Downloading it now, but it seems like the easiest mod/fix to use. It incorporates a lot of other mods and fixes in it.

I still prefer Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

You're kidding me right? I bought it off Steam a week ago T_T

Seriously, I didn't even buy the Fallout pack, I just bought Fallout 1 because I didn't want to waste any money on games I wouldn't play anytime soon :(

Is it like those games on steam, which are free for like a day and exist in your library but when the day is up they disappear, or once you have redeemed it you have it forever?

Um, yeah, I love the original Fallout, but to imply that Bethesda's games aren't good is bloody retarded.

guidance:
Is it like those games on steam, which are free for like a day and exist in your library but when the day is up they disappear, or once you have redeemed it you have it forever?

Just made an account and downloaded it. You keep it forever.

Also, I've never played the earlier ones, only Fallout 3 and Vegas. They must be somewhat similar right?

Broady Brio:

guidance:

Just made an account and downloaded it. You keep it forever.

Also, I've never played the earlier ones, only Fallout 3 and Vegas. They must be somewhat similar right?

Uh, not really. FO1 and 2 are isometric view, turn based games, whereas FO3 and NV were FPS/RPGs. While the general tone can be seen to be similar, particularly with New Vegas more than 3, you will see a complete shift in playing the first two. Whether its good or bad though is your own interpretation.

OT I bought them ages ago plus I still have my old Fallout Collection on Disc as well. I do recommend this game heavily and with its current price tag, there is really no reason to at least take a look at it.

its been a good day for me with free games, i get fallout from gog.com and a copy of cities in motion for answering a survey for paradox interactive a while back :)

GethBall:
I still prefer Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

As long as you don't prefer Brotherhood of Steel.

guidance:

I'm pretty sure it's once you have it on your account it's yours to download forever. That's what they do with all thier other games.

Darknacht:

The Artificially Prolonged:

Starnerf:

But I already bought Fallout, Fallout 2, and I have money on the Collector's Edition of Wasteland 2. What do I do to feed my addiction now?!

I in the same boat I'm afraid. All that's left is the Van Buren tech demo and wiki articles to my Fallout carvings at bay. :D

Darknacht:

Assuming you haven't already played it; play Arcanum.

Thanks, man! I haven't played Fallout in years. I hadn't even thought about it until I saw this.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked