MS, Apple, Blizzard, EA, WB and Disney ban all NY sex offenders

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Crono1973:

Hey, maybe we should just put all the sex offenders on an island then?

They already do that in some states.

Okay, I dunno how so many people on this site seem to be saying that all (or at least most) sex offenders are pedophile rapists or some sort of horrible human being. Not all have done something (too) bad. If you turn 18, have a 16 year old girlfriend, and her parents don't like you, if they call the cops, then BAM, sex offender. If one of your friends thinks it would be funny if they pants you and your underwear falls off while a child is nearby and sees you, BAM, sex offender. Both of these happened to people I know. Even though the charges have been dropped both times, it's impossible to get off the sex offender's list.

This whole banning is horrible, sure, some people actually are pedo-rapists, but the majority of sex offenders have done barely anything, or didn't have any malicious intents. I might have a slightly better opinion on this if the whole sex offender list wasn't a load of crap.

heck, you can be put on the list for just talking about sex in public

So they don't care what kind of sex offense is in question? What if someone just grabbed waitresses ass? This law is wrong. If those people are free that means they paid their debt to society. Treating them like that no matter what they've done isn't right.

Adam Jensen:
So they don't care what kind of sex offense is in question? What if someone just grabbed waitresses ass? This law is wrong. If those people are free that means they paid their debt to society. Treating them like that no matter what they've done isn't right.

Maybe people...uh...shouldn't grab other people in the butt?

Like, is that a controversial opinion?

Oh, so that's where half my friends list went overnight. That sucks. I'd rather play with a bunch of paedos and rapists than no-one at all, I tell ye! It doesn't matter, as long as they play fair.

RJ 17:
"Operation: Game Over". Heh got a decent chuckle out of that title.

As for do I agree with it? Ehhhhhhhh. I can see what they're protecting against, I agree with what they're wanting to do. But as a conservative I'm against most forms of governmental regulation. On the other hand when it comes to sex crimes, I believe - obviously this meaning what follows is opinion - that you can never be fully rehabilitated. You'll always have the urges to be naughty with people/things you shouldn't be naughty with. And if I had a young child that played on XBox live, I wouldn't want some jackass coming on the mic and asking my kid if he likes going to the gym and watching guys work out, or if he likes professional wrestling, or if he likes movies about gladiators.

Being a registered sex offender doesn't necessarily mean that the person was actually convicted of a sexual crime with a minor. I mean, if you get caught urinating in public, you're forced to register as a sex offender.

And really, if you've got kids on xbox live, chances are they're going to be trolled with homoerotic remarks regardless, by people who aren't sexual deviants or registered sex offenders, just douchebags who think it's funny.

Personally, I'm against this. Then again, I'm against pretty much all the "but think of the children" type laws, since I hate kids.

Dirty Hipsters:

RJ 17:

As for do I agree with it? Ehhhhhhhh. I can see what they're protecting against, I agree with what they're wanting to do. But as a conservative I'm against most forms of governmental regulation. On the other hand when it comes to sex crimes, I believe - obviously this meaning what follows is opinion - that you can never be fully rehabilitated. You'll always have the urges to be naughty with people/things you shouldn't be naughty with. And if I had a young child that played on XBox live, I wouldn't want some jackass coming on the mic and asking my kid if he likes going to the gym and watching guys work out, or if he likes professional wrestling, or if he likes movies about gladiators.

Being a registered sex offender doesn't necessarily mean that the person was actually convicted of a sexual crime with a minor. I mean, if you get caught urinating in public, you're forced to register as a sex offender.

And really, if you've got kids on xbox live, chances are they're going to be trolled with homoerotic remarks regardless, by people who aren't sexual deviants or registered sex offenders, just douchebags who think it's funny.

Personally, I'm against this. Then again, I'm against pretty much all the "but think of the children" type laws, since I hate kids.

I love kids and I am also against the "but think of the children" type laws. Children who grow up thinking the world revolves around them turn out to very spoiled kids and really bad adults.

Note: Some of you may be too young to remember when your parents weren't your best friend.

Eh, this is a bit iffy. I see it more as government being more intrusive (which is getting worse) than punishing the sex offenders. This could just be a step to something else. What if sex offenders are just the beginning? That's how the government works when they want to implement certain aspects of control, tiptoeing along . And if you're against it then you're accused of 'siding with the sex offenders' or some other asinine accusation.

Does this only affect pedophiles, or ALL sex offenders?

I mean I guess it doesn't really matter, if you're a sex offender of any kind you deserve what you get, but it seems like an odd way of deterring these criminals.

Subaltern:

It's really, really important to remember that many sex offenders actually raped or molested little children and that those offenses are nothing like smoking a cigarette.

What is wrong with all of you?

Fine kick those offenders off, the problem is sex offender can mean anything from someone who raped a child to someone who urinated in public or groped someone at a night club. Everyone just assumes sex offender = child rapist. Wish it did then, I would support this action. It isn't the case though so this action is rather unfair to the person who took a leak ion the street.

MetallicaRulez0:
Does this only affect pedophiles, or ALL sex offenders?

I mean I guess it doesn't really matter, if you're a sex offender of any kind you deserve what you get, but it seems like an odd way of deterring these criminals.

I think it matters for the reasons above. I in no way want a child rapist to be allowed on on-line computer games. But to do it for all sex offenders, no that's not right. Should only be for people on the register, for crimes involving a minor, and maybe rape, nothing else.

O/T: Let me ask this. I understand why people would think this is a good idea, but since the on-line component is so integral in being able to game at all now, i.e without some of these services you potentially cannot game at all. Do you really want a load of people with a history of child abuse, sitting around with time on their hands, becuase they can no longer game, looking for some other diversion???

i don't have a problem with this personally but there is a fault in it its too broad. when you do stuff like this make it what kind of people your going after and find a way to only target that group not just nuke them and everyone near by

Uhm. Look, I don't like sex offenders- it's sorta hard to. But isn't throwing a COMPLETELY irrelevant punishment at them sort of setting an awkward precedent?

Besides, we're talking about mostly people who have already served their sentence. Still scum, to be sure, but that seems to directly go against the entire goddamn point of that little justice system we have. The "Do the time" part?

On that note, don't we keep hearing about people getting put on the sex offender registry for non violent- and even disputed- crimes? I'm just saying it doesn't seem like a lot of thought has been put into this, is all.

Subaltern:

Crono1973:

Kahunaburger:

They do, in some communities. Sex offenders can't live with in X miles of things like schools/libraries/etc., so occasionally these laws essentially confine all the sex offenders to an island or something.

That's not the same thing and you know it and you totally missed the point. I really fuckin hate how it's ok to persecute certain groups. Sex offenders, smokers, etc...

It's like people in those groups aren't people at all and can have rights removed without backlash. I would say this ban is a civil rights violation.

It's really, really important to remember that many sex offenders actually raped or molested little children and that those offenses are nothing like smoking a cigarette.

Punishing people beyond their court appointed terms should be a violation of anyone's civil rights, regardless of what they had done. THAT'S our problem.

joshuaayt:
Uhm. Look, I don't like sex offenders- it's sorta hard to. But isn't throwing a COMPLETELY irrelevant punishment at them sort of setting an awkward precedent?

Besides, we're talking about mostly people who have already served their sentence. Still scum, to be sure, but that seems to directly go against the entire goddamn point of that little justice system we have. The "Do the time" part?

On that note, don't we keep hearing about people getting put on the sex offender registry for non violent- and even disputed- crimes? I'm just saying it doesn't seem like a lot of thought has been put into this, is all.

Because someone who has sex with their 17 year old girlfriend when they turned 18 a week earlier or someone who was drunk off their ass and took a piss in an alley are totally scum right?

Seriously...you call them scum and then immediately after point out how tons of people get put on the sex offenders list for completely fucked reasons.

My grandfather got put on the sex offenders list many years ago. Want to know why? Some 8 year old said he grabbed her ass. The problem with this that no one seemed to give a fuck about? My grandfather was 72 years old with bad knees and this kid was separated from him by 30ish feet and a 5 feet tall fence at the time of the alleged ass grabbin. Didn't matter to the fucks who had his name added to the sex offenders list that it would have been physically impossible for him to jump that fence, grab her ass, then jump the fence again in the minute span that it happened. Nope, some kid said he did it and children never make shit up.

There are too many bullshit reasons to get put on the sex offenders list to put any legal weight behind it. Personally I don't feel the list should even exist considerin how much it punishes people long after they've served their time in prison for the crime they committed or in many cases didn't have to commit because the crime didn't warrant jail time. Unfortunately for anyone on that list, it is perfectly acceptable by the masses to shit all over a particular group of people without any consequences whatsoever.

The sex offender register isn't just for paedofiles as has been mentioned numerous times throughout this thread. I'm all for excluding the most serious of offenders from the networks but a blanket rule like this is not a good idea at all.

Only in America can something like this provoke tons of defence for sex offenders.

Crono1973:

Zhukov:
This is kinda weird. Why are they punishing people beyond their court sentence?

Also, why only sex offenders? What about murderers?

Because hating on sex offenders is good for politics. Don't see how these types of things are constitutional. We, as a society, see sex offenders as more dangerous than murderers.

I mean you murder someone in cold blood, at least the person murdered dies and doesn't have to live with the consequences.

A child has to deal with that every day...

Like, sorry... I didn't use to feel this way, but the only thing this society asks of pedophiles is just don't fuck a kid and don't look at someone else fucking a kid. There is hentai, there are legal alternatives in the U.S. to get your kink off too with out harming anyone. It's so fucking easy to not cross that very clear line, there is absolutely no excuse for it. Lack of sex isn't a reason, plenty of us go stretches with out sex and we don't resort to rape. Self-control, they are proving they don't have it.

Also hey, trade off is they get a lighter jail sentence then murders.

SaneAmongInsane:

Crono1973:

Zhukov:
This is kinda weird. Why are they punishing people beyond their court sentence?

Because hating on sex offenders is good for politics. Don't see how these types of things are constitutional. We, as a society, see sex offenders as more dangerous than murderers.

I mean you murder someone in cold blood, at least the person murdered dies and doesn't have to live with the consequences.

Like, sorry... I didn't use to feel this way, but the only thing this society asks of pedophiles is just don't fuck a kid and don't look at someone else fucking a kid. There is hentai, there are legal alternatives in the U.S. to get your kink off too with out harming anyone. It's so fucking easy to not cross that very clear line, there is absolutely no excuse for it. Lack of sex isn't a reason, plenty of us go stretches with out sex and we don't resort to rape. Self-control, they are proving they don't have it.

There is no way that being molested is worse than not being alive at all. That's just societal programming talking.

Kahunaburger:

RJ 17:
On the other hand when it comes to sex crimes, I believe - obviously this meaning what follows is opinion - that you can never be fully rehabilitated. You'll always have the urges to be naughty with people/things you shouldn't be naughty with.

Considering that being drunk and taking a piss in public (i.e., a common youthful indiscretion) is a sex crime in America, I think this is taking it a little too far.

Pretty much this. I mean, who hasn't taken a piss behind a bush at some point in their lives? Because if you were caught doing that then you're a sex offender. If they adjusted the laws so stupid stuff like that didn't count as a sex offense then I'd be apathetic about this whole thing, but they won't.

There is so much wrong with this thread it hurts just looking at it. People have some strange perspectives on the world D:

Random thoughts

A: Im glad that once someone registers an email address or screen name they cant register a new email address or screen name or else this would be rather pointless.

B: I get banning them from anything Disney related, but Microsoft banning someone from Xbox live for example who the chronophile had the XBL account to play Halo or any other rated M game that a child should not be interacting on, is like failing to fail at upholding the law.

C: These people have a hard enough time re acclimating into society. Getting a job after having a felony is hard, Having the kind of job that would accept a pedophile is not going to pay much so your options for housing are further limited than just where you can and cannot live. Being on a publicly accessible registry list also makes your business public affairs so its not like your going to be making a lot of your own friends after conviction. So its not enough to have them pay their debt to society, we must force them to continue to pay by hindering their livelihood, dictating the run down hovel they will have to live in, make sure everyone who lives near their hovel knows what they did and now we want to take away the one place these people could possibly go to forget for a little while that they are deemed to be the scum of the earth not fit for the skin for which they are printed on.

Subaltern:

It's also really really important to remember that there are sex offenders on the lists who never went anywhere near another person in the commission of their crime (pissing in an alleyway, e.g.) and that you should take your "think of the children" BS and cram it. "The children" are not and never will be a valid reason for violating the rights of actual people, no matter how politically acceptable it might be thanks to knee-jerk apologists like you.

"What's wrong with all of us," indeed.

targren:

Subaltern:

It's also really really important to remember that there are sex offenders on the lists who never went anywhere near another person in the commission of their crime (pissing in an alleyway, e.g.) and that you should take your "think of the children" BS and cram it. "The children" are not and never will be a valid reason for violating the rights of actual people, no matter how politically acceptable it might be thanks to knee-jerk apologists like you.

"What's wrong with all of us," indeed.

Do you have sources that show how many people are on the sex offender list for trivial offenses?

Or are you just repeating some contrarian milquetoast pablum?

Subaltern:

Maybe people...uh...shouldn't grab other people in the butt?

Like, is that a controversial opinion?

Grab someone's butt.

What happens to the person you offended
They get offended that you grab their butts.

What happens to you as a punishment
You can no longer live in a lot of neighborhoods
You have to go door to door telling people you're a sex offender
You can't get a decent job anymore
A lot of educational opportunities are lost to you
and now you can't play on your xbox anymore.

Do you understand why it's controversial now? Or are you just a fan of draconian punishment.

This is really stupid. The whole sex offender crap. Yeah it may catch actual sex lunatics, but it also catches a good amount of people that didn't do anything to warrant this much punishment.

Isn't this why a lot of places go against the death penalty? Yeah you catch a lot of criminals, but you catch a lot of innocents too.

And apparently some people here think that getting killed is better than having the rest of your life ruined, so to them it should be worse than the death penalty.

Crono1973:

SaneAmongInsane:

Crono1973:

There is no way that being molested is worse than not being alive at all. That's just societal programming talking.

It's relative... I mean, from a non-religious point of view, you die thats it. You're not worried about how you died, or angry about the person that just killed you, you're just did. Yeah, you're seperated from everything you loved but you're not able to dwell on it.

Misery and sadness and the rest of the emotions are only felt while we're alive... I mean yeah, sure, you can be molested and still go on to great things but that shit has to haunt you every single day.

This does seem rather excessive and unnecessary.
Also, I'd rather have sex offenders playing games instead of having to think of, uh, other ways to spend their time ;)

Subaltern:

Do you have sources that show how many people are on the sex offender list for trivial offenses?

Or are you just repeating some contrarian milquetoast pablum?

Ignoring your flaming ad hom...

http://www.hrw.org/news/2007/09/11/us-sex-offender-laws-may-do-more-harm-good:

Because registration requirements are overbroad in scope and overlong in duration, there are more than 600,000 registered sex offenders in the US, including individuals convicted of non-violent crimes such as consensual sex between teenagers, prostitution, and public urination, as well as those who committed their only offenses decades ago

If there is 1, then you have lost the moral high ground. The principle of "Better 99 guilty men go free than one innocent man go to the gallows" is woefully forgotten in this country, largely thanks to mindless, authoritarian serfs who are apparently incapable of questioning the government. Even more so when it infringes on some archaic, puritanical bullshit like "seeing a nipple will traumatize a child." It's like the useless morons have forgotten what nipples were actually created for.

Crono1973:

tippy2k2:

Not to mention that you are now punishing the criminal AFTER their punishment has already been served (a reason I think the registry should just go away but that's a different argument).

Absolutely and why do we ONLY do this to sex offenders? I sometimes wonder why we treat sex crimes worse than murder.

Well, mostly because we're stupid.

I am not even joking. The only reason we impeach the civil rights of people we do not know and are grossly exaggerating in some cases is because we are scared of them and do not like them. We are stupid.

Crono1973:

SaneAmongInsane:

Crono1973:

wait what?

so theoretically, if you were rapist who then was raped while in prison,nearly beat to death, and was caught in a fire and was FUBAR due to burns, you'd rather live your life forever knowing all that, than to rather die?

please, go ask rape victims and others of serious trauma, they will probably tell you much different.

Dirty Hipsters:

RJ 17:

Yes, yes, someone already mentioned the whole urinating in public thing and I agreed that was BS. I also went on to agree that it isn't right to punish someone before they've committed a crime and as such banning them before they've been reported or something isn't very fair.

Hero in a half shell:
Have you ever been in a cockpit before, or ever been in a Turkish prison? Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

THAAAAAAAAANK YOU! I don't feel so old now. :P

Crono1973:

RJ 17:

Zhukov:

Murderers don't typically talk about their penises to 12 year olds.

Are you really saying that murder is better than talking about a penis? Man, that's pretty fucked up but it explains why politicians get away with persecuting sex offenders.

With Murder the victim no longer suffers. With Sex Offences, it can completely destroy the personality, the person has to live with the memory of the event for the rest of their live. The person's sexual urges can be changed by that one act. Their entire perception of the world changes to something much more negative. There is also the thought "Did I provoke/deserve this?" While the answer is always 'It is not your fault', like survivor's guilt, it NEVER leaves.

So yes, Murder is better than Sexual Abuse in terms of crimes.

Eri:

Kotaku:
As of today, thousands of sex offenders will no longer be able to log onto online gaming platforms, thanks to a joint operation between New York State and some of the world's biggest video game companies. In a statement issued this morning, it's been revealed that the New York Attorney General's office has been working with Microsoft, Sony, Apple and other video game companies to ban registered sex offenders off of the those entities' network platforms.

New York law requires that convicted sex offenders surrender all e-mail addresses and internet screennames to the state, which then provides the information to websites. Those sites can sweep the matching usernames off their rolls, with the aim of creating a safer web environment for underage users. "Operation: Game Over" marks the first time that the law has been implemented with video games. From the press release:

As a result of Operation: Game Over, 3,580 accounts of New York state sex offenders have been purged - or their communication privileges suspended - from the gaming platforms owned by Microsoft, Apple, Blizzard Entertainment, Electronic Arts, Warner Bros. and Disney Interactive Media Group.

http://kotaku.com/5899463/new-york-state-just-banned-3500-online-gamers-who-are-all-sex-offenders

So this is pretty interesting. Can't say I'm surprised, though, I didn't see it coming certainly. Perhaps other states should follow? What do you think?

Yes, it sort of sounds good in theory, except, if you have a common screen name (lets use yours for example), and you, several other innocent people, and 1 sex offender are using it, if that name is banned because of that one offender, then all of the other innocents using it will also be banned. There's no reason to believe that suddenly heaps of innocents will necessarily be banned, but I'm sort of drawing a parrallel to the 'no flight' list in the US, where if you share a first and last name with a known terrorist, all people sharing that name will not be allowed to fly, albeit, in this case 'play online', and of course, you could change your screen name, but that would likely mean re-registering and probably starting your game from scratch again.

I think this is going to get ugly.

gmaverick019:

wait what?

so theoretically, if you were rapist who then was raped while in prison,nearly beat to death, and was caught in a fire and was FUBAR due to burns, you'd rather live your life forever knowing all that, than to rather die?

please, go ask rape victims and others of serious trauma, they will probably tell you much different.[/quote]

Technically, getting rapped, nearly beat to death, then FUBAR'd because of second and third degree burns is a tad worse than getting "just" molested.

Then again, I never placed any particular value on the mere status of "being alive" so yeah. There are things where just "being alive" as opposed to "being dead" doesn't make much of a difference.

Why the fuck should an adult be banned from playing adult games on Xbox live, etc?

In addition, once your sentence is over, your sentence SHOULD BE OVER. Sex offender registries don't help anyone and essentially put ex-cons in a corner. They're completely unable to be reintegrated into society if they a) can't ever get a decent job again and b) can't even play some damn video games online.

It's horseshit. I'd much prefer a life sentence to this punishment. At least a life sentence doesn't have a false sense of hope, and won't expect me to be an upstanding gentleman once out of prison while simultaneously being continually assraped by the system and society.

Vegosiux:

gmaverick019:

wait what?

please, go ask rape victims and others of serious trauma, they will probably tell you much different.

Technically, getting rapped, nearly beat to death, then FUBAR'd because of second and third degree burns is a tad worse than getting "just" molested.

Then again, I never placed any particular value on the mere status of "being alive" so yeah. There are things where just "being alive" as opposed to "being dead" doesn't make much of a difference.[/quote]

you kinda messed up that quote somehow..but anyways, yes, much worse, i was just getting my point across there. living with horrible mental anguish is much worse to some people than death. that's why throughout history, so many times people have CHOSEN death over such circumstances (slavery/rape/etc...)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked