What was the last ending of a game that was genuinely satisfying?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

So the general consensus nowadays is that video game endings are doomed to suck. If it's not Deus Ex's or Mass Effect 3's "press button to see this ending" business, it ends on a bull shit cliffhanger or has no closure and leaves the player completely unsatisfied like Final Fantasy XIII-2. The last game I finished with a great ending was Persona 4. You end the murderer's killing spree, discover the truth behind the murder cases, you've done everything that you needed to do, and it all wraps up on a positive note that makes you feel like you really accomplished something big. So I ask: what was the last game you finished with an ending that you were completely happy with?

I generally found the endings of Fallout 1 and 2 to be pretty satisfying. It basically tells you what happened to each town/area you visited, which changed based on what quests you did and how you did them when you were there.

Homeworld was pretty satisfying too. To the point where, even though I loved Homeworld, I haven't yet played Homeworld 2.

I was happy with Skyrim's ending because of how the dovahkiin becomes Talos.

Infamous 2 it ends appropriately and guarantees no sequels to ruin it Bravo Sucker Punch

Mass Effect 2. It was one of the most satisfying endings to a video game.

Silent Hill 2 and 4(though 2 more than 4), ninja gaiden 2 , NO MORE HEROES , Portal and Portal 2, LoZ windwaker, FEAR, Condemned, psychonauts

I'm thinking (not having played ME3) that maybe the outcry from the ending would've been less bad if other games would've sucked less at tying their endings together. It's the one thing ME sort of HAD to deliver on with it's story focus, so the fact that they (apparently) didn't was even more jarring

The Broken Steel Ending for Fallout 3 allowed me to nuke up the citadel and then kill Sarah Lyons. That was so satisfying.

The last satisfying ending?

Dead space 2: severed. DID NOT see that ending coming :P

The other day I was playing a game of FIFA 12, and decided to up the difficulty to challenge myself. For more than 85 minutes, my team and my opponents went scoreless. I had pretty much resigned myself to the penalty phase, which is basically a coin toss for me. But as the clock was winding down, I managed to put the ball through to my striker, and sent it flying toward the goal.

Only for it to bounce off the post. The striker leapt toward the ball, heading it toward the goal. My breath caught for a moment, watching it float through the air as if in slow motion. Then it soared in. In a movie, the whistle would have been blown moments later, but in actuality I still had about seven minutes left, with stoppage time. Still, I won, and it was very, very satisfying.

Oh, that's easy! It was...uh...No, not Gears 3, not Resistance 3, not Raccoon City, not Skyrim...okay, maybe this isn't so easy. Let me think...

I honestly don't know. Infamous 2 is coming to mind, but I'm not sure if that's because someone else already mentioned it and that's all I can think about now. Dead Space 2 maybe? Man, has it been that long since I thought an ending was okay? And Dead Space 2's isn't even an ending, because there will be a third one. So, I guess it's a toss up between Dead Space 2, Infamous 2, and Dragon Age 2--yes, I liked the end to Dragon Age 2 because there will be a third game. I have no problem with cliff hangers as long as I know they will be resolved.

Driver: San Francisco, Red Dead Redemption, pretty much every GTA game ever, among others.

OH, and since I'm a sucker for happy endings, I'm giving a shout-out to every Mario game ever released. Who knew that he would succeed in saving the princess? :)

Resident Evil 3 Nemesis: Nothing more satisfying than finally putting an end to Nemesis and a Nuke to finally do away with Racoon City.

Batman Arkham City: To me, that was just a brilliant ending for Joker and Batman. Just perfect.

It probably wasn't the last one, but Bastion comes to mind.

Funnily enough, it actually did the last minute choose-your-ending thing, but it did it well.

EDIT: Ohh, ohh, and Journey of course. How the hell did I forget that?

Adam Jensen:
Mass Effect 2. It was one of the most satisfying endings to a video game.

I'd agree up until that Human Reaper. I can't forgive that. It just didn't make any sense (also doesn't help that my first fight with it, one of the eyes just wouldn't go boom. and I had to get myself killed, which was harder then I thought)

OP: LAst one would probably be Red Dead. It was just perfect, and I couldn't ask for more. Anyone who's played it will know what I'm talking about.

homeworld and homeworld cataclysm.

as for mass effect 2 personal opinion but yeah i didnt like the wacky a mole with a reaper

nikki191:
homeworld and homeworld cataclysm.

as for mass effect 2 personal opinion but yeah i didnt like the wacky a mole with a reaper

All the hoemworld games had great endings to bad we will never see homeworld 3.

Both of inFAMOUS 2's endings. Except with the evil one now I want a mmo set in the setting it creates, I know it won't happen but a man can dream though.

Cryostasis
boy that one made me feel good

The ending of MW3's campaign was fairly satisfying, if a bit of a bitch to get to. Freeze in hell Makarov, freeze in hell.

I think I beat Assassin's Creed Revelations right before Mass Effect 3 and I haven't beaten anything else since, so AC2 Revelations despite the slightly sloppy writing when it came to Desmond because the other two endings it contained were utterly brilliant.

Before that Costume Quest which I beat before AC2 Revelations. Also Bastion which I've beaten twice now... actually I'm fine with the bulk of the endings ending for my games. Some might not be brilliant like Bastion, but none of them were nearly as poor as Mass Effect 3's.

The ending of Fallout: New vegas and all of the DLCs were satisfying, and exceeded my expectations.

Red Dead Redemption is probably one of the best I've seen in a while, followed closely by the good ending of BioShock.

The last game I beat and coincidentally, thoroughly enjoyed its ending was Journey. What a great game start to finish.

Bastion
and i beat that game last year =/

Medievil Resurrection left me feeling pretty good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-QzdlRMzUs

Beesejar:
Infamous 2 it ends appropriately and guarantees no sequels to ruin it Bravo Sucker Punch

Mmm, I'm going to have to agree with this one here. Honestly felt sad during the good ending.

Too bad most people are just putting satifying ending rather than the last satisfying ending they have seen . For me the last one that satisfied me was heavy rain ( i played this for the first time 2 weeks ago). I was satisfied in the sense that , what i did had consequences and it showed me the consequences for my actions . I was like , yeah this seems good .

Before that it was a damned long time and i have finished a shitload of games since 2011 ( because my new years resolution was to finish every game i started). I thing it was lost oddesey in early 2011 . Great game , great story , good ending .

Metal Gear Solid 4, you can't ask for much more closure than that game.

Even though someone spoiled it, the ending of Red Dead Redemption was absolutely beautiful. I had initially been a bit skeptical because I'm not generally a fan of the sad endings, but when I actually saw it it was great.

Yeah, it kind of didn't make sense in every way, but let's face it: Having John Marston effortlessly gun down everyone like he had for the rest of the game would be kind of boring.

Hit Man: Blood Money's ending was awesome. Even though it was difficult as fuck to pull off, it was by far one of the most satisfying parts of any game I've played.

To those who know what I mean, "Kill them, kill them all."

Bioshock got a bit weird and drawn-out, but I still liked it.

This might be slightly controversial, but I really liked the ending of Far Cry 2. The game is generally kind of a pet favorite of mine, because most people found it boring/confusing or pointless. I however, being the mono-chromatically dressed nihiist that I am, absolutely loved the ending.

Both Bioshock 1 and 2 good endings made me cry a bit

Marcus Kehoe:
Metal Gear Solid 4, you can't ask for much more closure than that game.

Aren't they making a fifth one, or is it going to be a long ad about 'Check out the new and Improved Raiden! Now with emo progamming and a glow-in-the-dark spine!

But honestly, Infamous 2. I actually applauded. It is the PROPER way to do a polarizing end, ie give it a reason to *Glares at the 'genius' who came up with that idea for ME3.*

neversleep:
Portal 2

this a billion times, portal 2 has one of the best game endings I have ever seen.

Metro 2033's ending was good, it was sad, dark, hopeless and it stung a little. And the hidden good ending was a beautiful "what if" that just blew me away...

STALKER: Call of Pripyat had a good ending as well, so did Dragon Age: Origins, and the german TES mod: Nehrim.

All were great.

Man, Metro still gives me chills sometimes...

Fallout: New Vegas' DLC Dead Money had a great ending, as did the Lonesome Road DLC. Bastion, Final Fantasy XII, Dead Space 2's and Halo: Reach all had pretty good endings too.

Zhukov:
It probably wasn't the last one, but Bastion comes to mind.

Funnily enough, it actually did the last minute choose-your-ending thing, but it did it well.

Quite correct. And it becomes even better in NG+ if you chose the "rewind" option. Rucks occasionaly going "Wait, haven't I...?", clearly having a case of deja vu.

Ah, but it also was last in my case.

And, while not exactly a satisfying ending, it was satisfying to get Pacifist+Foxiest of Hounds on hard on my first DXHR play, while also having saved the fly girl back there. The Endingtron 3000 tho, bleh...

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked