Mass Effect 3 new DLC... Free? maybe not so much...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Following the recent news release of the new DLC (Forum thread here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.363190-BioWare-Announces-Post-Ending-DLC-for-Mass-Effect-3-Updated?page=1 )
I persued the provided link to the actual news. Upon arriving I found this:
Free* DLC Pack to Provide Additional Cinematic Scenes to the Ending of Mass Effect 3 this Summer
^ That. Why an asterisk?
Clarified below...
* OFFER EXPIRES APRIL 12, 2014. <- So basically if you don't get it in the window of release time, you don't get it. Or they start charging up to 20.00 dollars USD for this allegedly free feature.
This was there as well...
EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON WWW.EA.COM/2/SERVICE-UPDATES

I ask you, what do you think of this? Do we kindly look past the "free" DLC because we care so much, or shall we allow the titan that is EA to further screw us over? What happens if future generations want to play this series, but are unable access this peace offering to we, the fans. I'll still be getting it, because I NEED to know what happens to my beloved in game friends...

There is no point in raging until they actually do something that is worth getting upset over. A two year time window is extremely generous and by then they might release versions with all the dlc for a low price. So I will say it again, stop getting mad when there is nothing to get mad about.

Also, you're operating under an assumption that the date given is not subject to change at any point.

Honestly, worse case scenario? Sometime before April 2014, they'll release some sort of "Ultimately ultimate Edition" of the game with this DLC included.

You really think a two year deadline isn't lenient enough for you?

I'd assume that by then the ending DLC will be on disc.

Yeah, that's REALLY worth whinging about.

I'm 99% sure they HAVE to include that for legal reasons since those servers will be shut down eventually. Every other EA game (Madden, Battlefield 3, FIFA, etc.) have that same exact "30 days notice" thing marked on them.

First I thought it said 2012 and I was like 'that's a little strict'.

But then I saw it was 2014. Seriously? You're gonna bitch over that? In 2 years you probably won't even be here so we shall never know if your little bitch session was right.

Seriously?

People are really getting miffed that there's an expiration date?

Well damn, you really can't please everyone huh?

Yeah, 2014 seems fair to me. Until then there will be ultimate editions flying around, hell, they might even just put this new content on every disk they print from soon on.

Sucks for the one guy that buys Mass Effect 3 for his oldschool console in 10 years time, but eh.

I was more annoyed that they aren't actually going to fix the ending :p

lol.

The next ME game should at least be announced by then.

APRIL 14 2014?!? That's ridiculous! Curse you EA, you greedy sons of bitches!!!

Yeah, as if that's anything to really be upset over. Although we'll probably see someone like Zeel come on here at about that time.

"EA told Joystiq it has "no plans to ever pull that content down or charge for it." That goes for "the foreseeable future after the April 12 date." According to a company rep, the expiration addendum was only attached due to EA's internal policy of putting expiration dates "on all 'no additional cost' content." "

Just a formality.

William Ossiss:
-snip-

Creating new shit takes time. Time that needs funding, which it won't get if it's free for eternity.

I totally hate what EA does.

However, I can at least agree that this is pretty good. I'm more shocked that EA actually decided to put it out for free at all, let alone for a few weeks. I would have not batted an eye if it had been a $10-20 DLC.

Wait a sec...

2014?

By that time MS will have already announced their NEW CONSOLE, meaning XBL will probably have moved to the next gen. That is nowhere near unreasonable for an expiration date.

I'm usually one of the first ones to call foul when EA does something worth crying foul about (note: most everything.) But that's quite a bit of time for someone to grab the DLC. I think you may be grabbing for reasons to hate here.

William Ossiss:
Following the recent news release of the new DLC (Forum thread here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.363190-BioWare-Announces-Post-Ending-DLC-for-Mass-Effect-3-Updated?page=1 )
I persued the provided link to the actual news. Upon arriving I found this:
Free* DLC Pack to Provide Additional Cinematic Scenes to the Ending of Mass Effect 3 this Summer
^ That. Why an asterisk?
Clarified below...
* OFFER EXPIRES APRIL 12, 2014. <- So basically if you don't get it in the window of release time, you don't get it. Or they start charging up to 20.00 dollars USD for this allegedly free feature.
This was there as well...
EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON WWW.EA.COM/2/SERVICE-UPDATES

I ask you, what do you think of this? Do we kindly look past the "free" DLC because we care so much, or shall we allow the titan that is EA to further screw us over? What happens if future generations want to play this series, but are unable access this peace offering to we, the fans. I'll still be getting it, because I NEED to know what happens to my beloved in game friends...

EA has every right to charge you money for legit DLC. That day 1 DLC was unethical but this DLC looks to be legit.

The ending to Mass Effect 3 should be no surprise to anyone. I can't help but feel that if people behaved like informed consumers then no one should have felt ripped off by the game's ending. When you are preordering you are putting forth faith into unknown quantity. If you are not willing to take this risk, then don't preorder, wait.

I'm surprised EA is even offering it for free at any point in time. I'd highly recommend waiting until the word is out on whether or not this DLC is good so as to prevent getting burned twice by the same fire.

TorqueConverter:

EA has every right to charge you money for legit DLC. That day 1 DLC was unethical but this DLC looks to be legit.

The ending to Mass Effect 3 should be no surprise to anyone. I can't help but feel that if people behaved like informed consumers then no one should have felt ripped off by the game's ending. When you are preordering you are putting forth faith into unknown quantity. If you are not willing to take this risk, then don't preorder, wait.

I'm surprised EA is even offering it for free at any point in time. I'd highly recommend waiting until the word is out on whether or not this DLC is good so as to prevent getting burned twice by the same fire.

There is nothing unethical about day 1 dlc, it may not be something you like but claiming it is unethical is a lie.

kman123:
First I thought it said 2012 and I was like 'that's a little strict'.

But then I saw it was 2014. Seriously? You're gonna bitch over that? In 2 years you probably won't even be here so we shall never know if your little bitch session was right.

Just to be clear, I'm not 'bitching', as you so eloquently put it. I'm simply showing that little piece of information that some people may not have registered.

Smeggs:

Wait a sec...

2014?

By that time MS will have already announced their NEW CONSOLE, meaning XBL will probably have moved to the next gen. That is nowhere near unreasonable for an expiration date.

Still, makes you wonder how much we all lose when the new console comes out. So I CAN'T carry over my downloads? I wasted a metric fuck ton of cash on useless DLC I can't carry over onto a new generation? Movies, arcade games, etc etc..

Oh, look! mistake found XD
I, also, thought it said 2012.

2 years?! You only get 2 years?! Dammit this should still be available 1000000 years after the human race is dead!

Seriously though how is that not long enough. Everyone who wants it will have downloaded it by then anyway.

SajuukKhar:

TorqueConverter:

There is nothing unethical about day 1 dlc, it may not be something you like but claiming it is unethical is a lie.

How?

Removing fist fulls content from a finished product just before release then selling it on the side under the guise of "DLC" is an acceptable practice? What's next, we get a game engine for $60 and the rest of the game is day 1 DLC? Yeah, it's unethical. The game development budget is used to make a game, all of the game. DLC has it's own budget and therefore it's own price. Placing a price, any price, on DLC developed with the game development budget is just wrong. That sort of practice wouldn't fly in most other industries. People would be irate.

Bioware wiped their ass with the acronym D-L-C that day.

TorqueConverter:

How?

Removing fist fulls content from a finished product just before release then selling it on the side under the guise of "DLC" is an acceptable practice? What's next we get a game engine for $60 and the rest of the game is day 1 DLC? Yeah, it's unethical. The game development budget is used to make a game, all of the game. DLC has it's own budget and therefore it's own price. Placing a price, any price, on DLC developed with the game development budget is just wrong. That sort of practice would fly in most other industries. People would be irate.

That assumes Day 1 DLC is content purposefully removed from the game, which in many cases, and by many I mean most, it isn't.

SajuukKhar:

TorqueConverter:

How?

Removing fist fulls content from a finished product just before release then selling it on the side under the guise of "DLC" is an acceptable practice? What's next we get a game engine for $60 and the rest of the game is day 1 DLC? Yeah, it's unethical. The game development budget is used to make a game, all of the game. DLC has it's own budget and therefore it's own price. Placing a price, any price, on DLC developed with the game development budget is just wrong. That sort of practice would fly in most other industries. People would be irate.

That assumes Day 1 DLC is content purposefully removed from the game, which in many cases, and by many I mean most, it isn't.

Are we assuming they possess a means of time travel?

TorqueConverter:

what?

You are aware there's a full 5 weeks, over a month, between when a game is done and sent off for certification and the time it comes out?

What are you expecting that they are doing for 5 week? sitting in their chairs in a comatose state till the game comes out?

I can see it now, all the game devs sitting there, heads back, mouth open, drooling, while in a coma, they are carefully monitored by doctors to make sure they don't wake up before the game comes out.

TorqueConverter:

....except the people who thought Bioware was telling the truth about their plans for Mass Effect 3.

Which, if you haven't heard, they broke into little tiny pieces.

Most free things are only valid for a few years, the Twisted Metal Black code that came w/ the new one expires on February 14 2014 for example. EA's Online Passes have expiry dates, this is not new, this is not unusual.

Captcha: happy anniversary
well it is my 105 day anniversary on The Escapist if my math is right so thanks captcha, I appreciate it :)

Zen Toombs:

TorqueConverter:

....except the people who thought Bioware was telling the truth about their plans for Mass Effect 3.

Which, if you haven't heard, they broke into little tiny pieces.

I understand the anger. You think you can trust a game development team or at least have faith in them and then are let down. All it takes is one burn like that and you'll never buy a game based on faith ever again. Do your research, or in this case, wait to see what the game is like before you buy.

There was immediate uproar over the game's ending and the controversy has spilled out over net. Very few people should be surprised by the game's ending.

SajuukKhar:

TorqueConverter:

what?

You are aware there's a full 5 weeks, over a month, between when a game is done and sent off for certification and the time it comes out?

What are you expecting that they are doing for 5 week? sitting in their chairs in a comatose state till the game comes out?

I can see it now, all the game devs sitting there, heads back, mouth open, drooling, while in a coma, they are carefully monitored by doctors to make sure they don't wake up before the game comes out.

You know the From Ashes day one DLC was leaked indicating it was under development long before "certification time" right? If they are so damn desperate to finish up game code during certification time to meet a day one deadline, then doesn't that strike you as planned video game content? They couldn't wait to get that code out there on day one and complete your video game for only $9.99.

Would you have bought your other two squad mates if they were day 1 DLC too?

TorqueConverter:
I understand the anger. You think you can trust a game development team or at least have faith in them and then are let down. All it takes is one burn like that and you'll never buy a game based on faith ever again. Do your research, or in this case, wait to see what the game is like before you buy.

There was immediate uproar over the game's ending and the controversy has spilled out over net. Very few people should be surprised by the game's ending.

Except the people who trust Bioware and think that the controversy is overblown. And except the people who have avoided Mass Effect 3 spoilers as best they can. And those who don't surf the web.

Admittedly, that's not a lot of people but there is till good reason that one could be suprised by how Bioware handled the ending.

Zen Toombs:

TorqueConverter:

Except the people who trust Bioware and think that the controversy is overblown. And except the people who have avoided Mass Effect 3 spoilers as best they can. And those who don't surf the web.

Admittedly, that's not a lot of people but there is till good reason that one could be suprised by how Bioware handled the ending.

That's a fair point. If someone is completely unaware of the ending controversy then I can see them becoming blindsided by it and upset. It's one thing if the game is crap or highly suspicious, but from what I have heard the game plays well up until the end. I steered clear of rage when I saw how pretty it was and that it was going to be an Xbox and PS3 release. The internet hype of it being Fallout 3 with vehicles and a gorgeous environment were clearly bogus.

Dansen:
There is no point in raging until they actually do something that is worth getting upset over. A two year time window is extremely generous and by then they might release versions with all the dlc for a low price. So I will say it again, stop getting mad when there is nothing to get mad about.

You nailed it. Well done sir.

Dansen:
There is no point in raging until they actually do something that is worth getting upset over.

Where have you been these past few weeks?

TorqueConverter:

You know the From Ashes day one DLC was leaked indicating it was under development long before "certification time" right? If they are so damn desperate to finish up game code during certification time to meet a day one deadline, then doesn't that strike you as planned video game content? They couldn't wait to get that code out there on day one and complete your video game for only $9.99.

Would you have bought your other two squad mates if they were day 1 DLC too?

really because the only leaks I saw that said anything about the DLC were that they put some of the sound files and the character itself on the disk..... which could easily be done.... during the final stages of testing..... when they were making the DLC.

Also don't try to compare a completely optional character whose importance is small to a major game mechanic.

William Ossiss:

Still, makes you wonder how much we all lose when the new console comes out. So I CAN'T carry over my downloads? I wasted a metric fuck ton of cash on useless DLC I can't carry over onto a new generation? Movies, arcade games, etc etc..

Damn it feels good to be a PC gamer.

SajuukKhar:

Ignoring the poster that you quoted replies, you can't say something ethics based is a lie.

Ethics are individual, and if someone says something is unethical for them then (barring him being a moron) we must assume in his weird value system that makes sense.

As for the OP, well, I wound't care, same as I don't care about Steam going down at some point in the future. However seeing how lots of tinhatfoil people seem to freak out becasue their Steam might not last till they die or that they "don't own anything if they buy digital", i found weird that here people don't seem to care that they will take a fix to a broken ending that apparently renders the whole series meaningless, seems a bit incongruent to me.

TorqueConverter:

SajuukKhar:

TorqueConverter:

How?

Le Sigh. You are aware that it they have to actually print the vidja game onto those disks, right? The only conceiveable way in which the game is released within such a small time frame after the devs finishing what they released that they couldn't make any more content is for them to release it digitally online, and even then, they'll probably have time to make more content before the game was given the go-ahead by Microsoft. Simply put, so long as they continue to release physical copies of games, there will be a long period of time between the devs being finished with the main product, ie, what's on the disc, and customers being able to buy the game, and in the time between, they still have to put bread on the table and can produce more content for the game. Day-1 DLC isn't them carving out content so they can make a few extra bucks off it. It's them not being able to put in all the content they want (Because most-- if not all-- AAA games are released on time schedules that are so restraining that they have to put their employees through absolutely inhumane conditions, often times having them work for days without stopping just to scrape together enough content) and deciding to continue working to give gamers a more full experience that closer resembles what they originally intended.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked