Scariest Moment in Gaming?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

My personal one is the mid-way level in Fable 3. Despite the silliness of the rest of the series, being trapped in that cave with what you find in there and Walter being attacked is honestly horrifying. What's your scariest moment?

There's a part in Silent Hill 3 that got me so bad I literally fell off of my bed. No, it wasn't the manequin part. I'm talking about the part in the amusement park where you meet "Danny." Oh man...jumped so bad.

The haunted hotel in VtM:B. Whoever did the sound design for that section is a master

Comment removed due to spoilers and I think I misread the thread title.

The Dunwich building.

erttheking:
I gotta say Mordin's death in Mass Effect 3, the only moment in gaming that I remember crying at...stupid hyperactive son of a bitch...why?

I felt that they messed it up by having him sing.

Having him hum a tune was fine. It showed that he was completely relaxed and at peace with what he was about to do, but the singing was just silly. It felt like fan service. "Hey, remember this?!"

Incidentally, have you seen what happens if you betray him and the Krogan and fail to talk him down? It's brutal. Oh yeah, and then Wrex finds out...

The damn Giant Ants in Fallout 3... That scuttling sound that they make really scares me. Yes they're low level but they are fucking scary when you don't know where they are.

That one dungeon near Megaton, the school that has a nest of them underneath it. I fucking had to leg it out of there in a blind panic just because I couldn't find the last few ants that were making that infernal noise.

Probably because they just made the noise continue anyway after all the ants are dead just to freak you out. It was an entire nest of them after all.

Also Mirelurks, fucking scary bastards. Yet I oddly enjoyed the mission where you have to sneak into a lair to plant a beacon amongst their eggs without killing any of them. Y'know a Mirelurk hater's worst nightmare. Funny that.

I think good scary sections in non-horror games are worse than the scares in actual horror games. Like you don't expect it to just go bam! Scary section activate! At least in horror games you know what you're getting yourself into.

The Wykydtron:
The damn Giant Ants in Fallout 3... That scuttling sound that they make really scares me. Yes they're low level but they are fucking scary when you don't know where they are.

That one dungeon near Megaton, the school that has a nest of them underneath it. I fucking had to leg it out of there in a blind panic just because I couldn't find the last few ants that were making that infernal noise.

Probably because they just made the noise continue anyway after all the ants are dead just to freak you out. It was an entire nest of them after all.

Also Mirelurks, fucking scary bastards. Yet I oddly enjoyed the mission where you have to sneak into a lair to plant a beacon amongst their eggs without killing any of them. Y'know a Mirelurk hater's worst nightmare. Funny that.

I think good scary sections in non-horror games are worse than the scares in actual horror games. Like you don't expect it to just go bam! Scary section activate! At least in horror games you know what you're getting yourself into.

I gotta agree with you here, I cannot stand the Ant Queen, won't even do the quest anymore.

Zhukov:

erttheking:
I gotta say Mordin's death in Mass Effect 3, the only moment in gaming that I remember crying at...stupid hyperactive son of a bitch...why?

Having him hum a tune was fine. It showed that he was completely relaxed and at peace with what he was about to do, but the singing was just silly. It felt like fan service. "Hey, remember this?!"

Incidentally, have you seen what happens if you betray him and the Krogan and fail to talk him down? It's brutal. Oh yeah, and then Wrex finds out...

I got the other one, where he says "Genophage cured...new future...for us all."

erttheking:

Zhukov:

erttheking:

Wait... what?

How did you do that?

WHAT IS YOUR SECRET?!

Zhukov:

erttheking:

Zhukov:

Wait... what?

How did you do that?

WHAT IS YOUR SECRET?!

I have no idea how the game decided which one you get.

Scariest moment ever? So this is bound to be pretty personal, but two titles scared the shit out of me when I was younger. The first Quake, and System Shock 2.

Oh, man, those possessed guys with the tweaked voices who moaned nonsense at you while hitting you with a steam pipe... I was fucking traumatized, I swear.

Non-horror-game examples:

"What can change the nature of a man?"

Assembling a fresh batch of rookies around a downed sectoid ship, not knowing if you've got enough meat to jam up the grinder.

"Don't trust the skull."

"ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU. RUN WHILE YOU CAN."

The sound of a poison headcrab (even though I have never, ever died as the result of one).

Wheatley:
My personal one is the mid-way level in Fable 3. Despite the silliness of the rest of the series, being trapped in that cave with what you find in there and Walter being attacked is honestly horrifying. What's your scariest moment?

I'm happy to find that I'm not the only big-ass pansy who found that even a little terrifying :D

The Path's atmosphere is quite scary. When you wander into the woods and heart beat starts going, or if you are readily approaching your wolf of that level. Play it at night.

The first monster in Amnesia: The Dark Descent; and every subsequent monster encounter.

Being unable to fight back (at all) increases the terror by several magnitudes, to the extent that I had to stop frequently because my hands were shaking too hard and my nerves were wrecked.

illas:
The first monster in Amnesia: The Dark Descent; and every subsequent monster encounter.

Being unable to fight back (at all) increases the terror by several magnitudes, to the extent that I had to stop frequently because my hands were shaking too hard and my nerves were wrecked.

If it makes you feel better, dear:

Captcha: 'teh inter webs'

Oh, and also Ao Oni whenever you're trying to run away from the Ao Oni. Sob.

Thief 3's Cradle level.

erttheking:

Thanks alot for the spoiler.

OT: Let's see, almost every single second of the Condemned demo? Whenever I wasn't fighting, I could hear how I were surrounded, and one step in the wrong direction would get me attacked.
That was scary as h*ll.

The first Max Payne game, where you are drugged and having a nightmare fueled by your own imagination.

That was pretty fucked up.

In Fallout 3's expansion, Point lookout. The part where you are once again drugged (reaccuring theme) and have a pretty fucked up dream.

In addition to that warehouse room full of those creepy-ass manaquin doll heads. Their was mines hidden under the sea of them, adding to the tension.

Other than that? Being an 8 year old me seeing resident evil 2's licker for the first time.

Recently I was playing Metro 2033 where you have to go above the surface and fight Nazi Rangers. I killed one on a catwalk with my silenced carbine and slaughtered a bunch with my Kalash as they were coming down. I could hear there was one left but I didn't know where to find him. I looked everywhere but I couldn't find him.

As I continued the search my friend beside me accidentally triggered a very, very loud song on a webpage he was viewing and I nearly broke my keyboard in half.

Scariest ever? Metroid Fusion was so scary for me as a kid that I traded away the game so I wouldn't have to face the SA-X again. That game got under my skin.

And, there is always...

That song always freaked me out as a kid and even now, years later, I still feel anxious hearing it.

"This door leads to Ravenholm... we don't go there anymore."

Guess where you're going 4 or 5 hours later?

This is gonna sound dated, but for me it was the opening play through of the first Silent Hill. Keep in mind that I was 11 when I first played it (borrowed it from a friend), and it was maybe a year after it was originally released (so the graphics were just kinda shitty instead of mostly shitty).

Anyway: Opening cutscene, daughter is missing, snowing, surrounded by fog, yadda yadda given control. After I get used to the controls, I begin the process of exploring the town. My only gaming experience up to this point was classic Nintendo, arcade games, and point and click adventure games, so this exploration thing is new to me. I hear a dog barking in the background and a nearby gate swing shut, so naturally I open it and follow it into an alleyway right? Camera perspectives get a little wonky from here on out and shift drastically when I round corners, but the alleyway is surprisingly well lit (despite the fog) so I move on forward through a chain link gate. I hear the faint call of an air raid siren in the distance as night starts to fall on me. Luckily, my character seems to have a lighter on him so the screen isn't completely dark. As I move through the alleyway, the camera draws nearer and... is it my imagination or does the alleyway seem narrower than before? Only sound aside from the siren seems to be my footsteps. A few rounded corners later I pick up the squeak of a wheel turning, and sure enough I pass by a rusty wheelchair turned on its side. Odd. Pass by it as the squeak follows me around the next corner before fading away, what used to be falling snow has suddenly turned into a light drizzle. A few steps later and I'm face to face with a bloodstained hospital gurney over a pool of blood. This shouldn't be out here... flies are swarming the gurney, so I step around it and pass along a high chain linked fence topped with barbwire. Area seems to get darker now and the siren is getting louder, must be nearing its source. Traded the alleyway for a passage made entirely of the chain linked fence, the blood pools from before are growing more frequent. Blood also appears to be splattered on the fence walls too. The fence passage twists and turns in on itself, it appears as if I'm heading towards the center of a maze of fences. Even as the siren grows louder, I can still hear the resounding sound of my footsteps. Every corner of the fence maze I round, the camera turns violently and drunkenly so that it always faces me and not my destination. Passages become shorter and bloodier as I near the center, I hurry forward despite myself. Round the final corner, heart is racing to match the tempo of my clattering footsteps. Camera arrests my attention for a moment as it centers on the scene before me. A bloodied figure lies strung up a fence and suspended off the ground in a tangle of barbed wire. There's something definitely wrong with this town and I'm not sticking around to find out, daughter or no daughter. I turn to leave and...

Well, if you've played the game you know what happens next. Doesn't even seize control from you like modern games tend to do. "We know you're too stupid to point your camera at this specific spot at this specific moment for a jump scare, so we'll do it for you while the camera zooms in on this brightly lit hellspawn! Are you scared yet?!"

Edit: Oh, and I suppose Amnesia the Dark Descent. Great atmospheric pacing up to the point you first meet your stalker. Made me afraid to round corners or go through open passageways even when it hadn't shown itself yet.

The Wykydtron:

Don't know if you've seen the Dunwich building but...yeah....Fuck that place.

erttheking:

Wow, thanks. Havnt played the game yet.

OT: Well since i have recently played through silent hill 2 again on the HD collection its freshn in my mind :D

Rapetime with pyramid head.

Or the ghost in the prison, he made weird noises.

Or at the bottom of a stairway in the hospital. A terrible squeaking noise for NO DAMN REASON.

Fr]anc[is:
The haunted hotel in VtM:B. Whoever did the sound design for that section is a master

This. Had to turn off the game a couple times there, freaked the hell outta me.
Also, call me a wuss, but that haunted house in Painkiller with all the zombies and electric chair guys. Ghuh.
I'm sensing a recurring theme here.

I know someone already said this. Dunwich Building in Fallout 3. Also, the very first subway that you have to go through.

Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games though<3

IamLEAM1983:
Scariest moment ever? So this is bound to be pretty personal, but two titles scared the shit out of me when I was younger. The first Quake, and System Shock 2.

Oh, man, those possessed guys with the tweaked voices who moaned nonsense at you while hitting you with a steam pipe... I was fucking traumatized, I swear.

I'm playing through System Shock 2 right now and earlier I had a moment where I opened a door and there was a Hybrid standing right on the other side. Never jumped so goddamn much in my entire life.

The one time I was battling the Champion in Pokemon Pearl, I was down to my last Pokemon who happened to be weak against like two or three of the moves her last Pokemon could use, and didn't know which was faster, mine or hers, while challenging myself with a limit of 3 L50 Pokemon.

I was so tempted to use a Max Revive. So. Tempted.

deserteagleeye:

The Wykydtron:
SNIP

Don't know if you've seen the Dunwich building but...yeah....Fuck that place.

You know, i've never actually found that place before. I've seen loads of people going on about how it's the scariest thing in the game but to be honest I couldn't tell you where to find it. XD

Oh and the Librarians in Metro. I must have lucked through most of that particular mission the first time since I never noticed the whole "maintain eye contact, back the fuck away" mechanic and just shotgunned my way through all of them. It's a nice little enemy nuance for a horror game.

Towards the start of Bioshock where you pick up the shotgun. As soon as you grab it, the lights flash off except for the cone of light around you. Then you get attacked and man...screw that game. So many parts made me jump.

And then...the unsuspecting teenagers logged onto their favorite gaming news site...and they saw...

that Too Human was getting a sequel!!!

Thankfully that hasn't happened yet, but it's important to stay aware >_>

Fr]anc[is:

Oh yeah, and this. SO MUCH THIS.

***DO NOT WATCH IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED SYSTEM SHOCK 2***

Anyone who says anything else is flat out wrong. This is the most terrifying scene to ever grace a game. Almost everything else is a walk in the sunshine compared to this.

Fr]anc[is:

This or watching the snuff movie always creeps me out.

Also the one special meet up with scarecrow in Batman: AA made me jump up the first time.

The first xlab in Shadow of Chernobyl.

Every moment for about 80% of Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked