What's the most scared you've ever been in a game?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

So having upgraded my PC to a decent standard, I bought Amnesia: The Dark Decent, a game I've been wanting to play for months now.
And it really has not disappointed. The narrative - and the atmosphere it creates - really draws you in, and the fact that monsters are rare makes them that much more freaky when you do end up encountering them.
I've just reached the machine room, and have just been chased my two monsters for the first time. I was evading one, but he spotted me, and I had to run past him. Sprinting away I thought I was safe, but then I got hit from behind, and I suddenly had the terrifying realization that they're faster than me. So I dodged and weaved around corners hoping he'd get caught on one, opened a door, and another one was right in front of me. This was the first time I'd seen one close up, and I jumped out of my skin. I ran sideways around him, up some steps, and into the next area.

Let me tell you, I haven't been this scared since playing the first Silent Hill back when I was 6. I'll be sleeping with the light on tonight.

So Escapists, what's the scariest game you've ever played? Any recommendations for any good (PC exclusive, I'll probably have played it otherwise) horrors that I should buy next?

Well, you pre-emtpted my go-to answer with Amnesia. That game had me on the edge of my seat from the word go. I won't go into specifics in order to avoid spoiling it for you, but suffice to say things get worse.

Honourable mention for Condemned. I didn't find the game particularly scary, with the notable exception of the mannequin scene. That succeeded in inducing sheer panic in me.

Lastly, Bioshock's Fort Frolic level: "Huh, another one of those plaster statues. Creepy. Ohhhh hey, loot! Not bad, not bad at all. That'll come in handy for... uh, wait... what the hell? Wasn't that statue over there beforOH JESUS FUCK SHOTGUN SHOTGUN!!"

Probably the first FEAR game. Though I did get through the whole game all on my own!

To be honest I haven't played many horror games in my time, but they do interest me a great deal. I have the Resident Evil series being planned to play, as well as the Silent Hill Series and Dead Space.

I get affraid pretty easily, but I also like to be scared so it works out.

Shalebridge Cradle. I had finally adjusted to the constant, creepy music and the fake-out footsteps. I'd finally stopped bricking myself at every random noise, and come to the conclusion that the Cradle was just fucking with me, and that nothing serious was going to happen. And that's when the first of those godforsaken mummies attacked.

Probably Project Zero 2. That cutscene where you first meet Sae and the gameplay just after that freaked me out the first time I saw it

BloatedGuppy:
Shalebridge Cradle. I had finally adjusted to the constant, creepy music and the fake-out footsteps. I'd finally stopped bricking myself at every random noise, and come to the conclusion that the Cradle was just fucking with me, and that nothing serious was going to happen. And that's when the first of those godforsaken mummies attacked.

That was my first real horror level I've ever played. In the end I actually looked up a walkthrough so I would know exactly where all the enemies are. Even though there aren't any enemies in the outer Cradle map, I never get out of crouching and hiding in shadows.

However, the scariest moment I've ever had will forever be the Sonic drowning theme from Sonics 1 and 2. It STILL gets to me, but as a kid it was the sound from my nightmares.

When I was younger, Duke Nukem 3D: Any level with those godforsaken slimers in it.

More recently:
STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl, the X18 laboratory. Oh my god. The atmosphere in there is creepy beyond measure. Looking at it through a youtube video isn't a good way to experience it.. you got to play it for yourself.

Bioshock. I've dented my wall a good few times by jumping so hard that I end up throwing the controller out of my hands.

Getting stalked by Killer Croc in Arkham Asylum. So tense.

Dead Space. Slightly scary, how horrible abominations can just appear from nowhere.

My friends and I really got into the mindset required for Amnesia. As such, all seven of us screamed like little girls several times during the course of the game. One guy even started crying.

It was the most fun I have had playing a game in a long time.

Got to be Haunting Ground. Being chased by one guy while being unable to defend yourself is a really scary feeling, especially when he turns up randomly. And when you don't want him to, which is all the time.

BloatedGuppy:

I hear of this all the time, having never played Thief. What exactly makes it so horrifying?
OT: I'm not too sure, I do always remember being freaked out in the original RE1 though. Secluded mansion in the middle of the woods full of zombies? Yeah, I find that shit freaky.

Only 3 games have ever scared me;

1) Tomb Raider 1. Those damn gorillas and the exploding fireball shooting mummies and those flying mutant aliens and the noises they make and then that unkillable Pierre bastard turns up AGAIN out of fucking nowhere and starts shooting me. Combine all this with the loneliness of each level and the atmosphere, with just the sounds of Lara running around to keep you company, damn that was a scary game for a 10 year old.

2) Silent Hill. Specifically the possessed school section. It's like something out of Hellraiser. Nuff said.

3) Bioshock. Nowhere near as terrifying as the other 2, but still had a couple of moments that can scare, namely the very start when you have no weapons and enemies first appear as shadows running about, later on when you face those mannquin guys who move like Weeping Angels and suddenly appear right behind you without making any noise.

Thedutchjelle:
More recently:
STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl, the X18 laboratory. Oh my god. The atmosphere in there is creepy beyond measure. Looking at it through a youtube video isn't a good way to experience it.. you got to play it for yourself.

Oh god, that place. The poltergeists were one thing, but the pseudogiant hidden in the dark hall was what threw me into absolute freakout territory. It's like seeing the boogeyman under your bed with your very own eyes. It doesn't really have to *do* anything, just stare at your general direction

Minecraft.

There i was, in a dirthouse with a half-finished roof. hearing all sorts of ungodly sounds just outside. I had no windows, beside the one in my front door. But i didn't dare to go near it, because a few seconds ago an arrow flew past my nose as i tried to go near it. "What was that sound?! a SPIDER!". I knew they could climb walls, and my roof was unfinished. so my options were: to fight the vile beast, or flee.
I hurried to the door knocked it down, showing a skeleton and a few zombies out of my way and ran, with only a few scrapes from the encounter. Without looking back i headed to the forest, and found a nice big tree, and lighted a torch. i couldn't see any of the horrid creatures, but i still felt watche-
"TSSSSSSSS...."

BloatedGuppy:

Basically this for me. At the part where you go up a long spiral staircase only to reach a door and someone starts trying to break it down, I ran all the way to the start of the level, paused the game, got away from the computer and waited 30 minutes before coming back. I tried to press on, but as soon as the first shambling undead passed through a hall in the distance, outlined by the barest trickles of light, I decided I've had enough.

Funny thing is, I'm not usually prone to getting scared. I got through both Dead Space games without breaking a sweat. The only other thing that ever scared me was Dark Corners of the Earth (the first half of the game), and even that never came close to Shalebridge...

I dont play many horror games so the only one that properly scared me is Fallout 3, both vault 106 and the Dunwhich building

BloatedGuppy:

I hear of this all the time, having never played Thief. What exactly makes it so horrifying?
OT: I'm not too sure, I do always remember being freaked out in the original RE1 though. Secluded mansion in the middle of the woods full of zombies? Yeah, I find that shit freaky.

What a nice coincidence that this topic shows up today. I got Metro 2033 a long time ago but never finished it and couldn't remember why, so I tried playing it again last night. On Ranger Hardcore mode, no less, since they didn't have that the first time I played. Turns out, hearing your character slowly suffocating as your gasmask filter gets clogged up while getting swarmed by a pack of mutant dog-bears really gets the adrenaline going. Worst part? Even if you survive the fight, you still have to listen to that godawful breathing.

It was quite recently, in Penumbra: Black Plague. After putting off playing it for some time, I finally got up to a point where you need an arm to activate a hand scanner, and some nice fellow offers to saw off his arm so that you can advance. Turns out that all he really wants is to saw through the door between you and him so that he can eat your brains out.
Would have been scarier if it weren't for that damn virus in your head shouting 'come at me brother' in a really annoying voice.

Either the hospital in Siren Bloodcurse or the Centennial Building in Silent Hill: Downpour.

I think I'll have to go with the ending sequence of 5 Days A Stranger when all of a sudden there's some really loud piano music outof nowhere.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent. First time I heard this:

I swear, my skin tried to crawl away from my ears and I got goosebumps all over my head. Bloody terrifying.

Recently Silent Hill 2 has got my pants soaking and I'm only at the beginning.

Also the Dunwich building in Fallout 3, I flat out refuse to go in there.

I am a little pansy, so when I first played Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare. It scared the living shit out of me.

Fighting Sheegoths in Metroid Prime when I was a kid, holy effing cow!

but they're easy now.

and then Mass Effect 3's last mission was way gripping, I felt like I was fighting for the Galaxy!

Almost certainly Ravenholm. Not helped by playing it at around midnight.

Playing Doom when I was 10. My dad kept the PC in a dark corner of my room so it was always creepy.

When I was like 8 or something and first got Halo, the 343 Guilty Spark mission scared the crap out of me as soon as I encountered the flood. I don't play any horror games on my own. My imagination is too active for me to do/watch scary stuff on my own. Pussy I know.

This game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_Slayer

Yes, its dated, but when I was a kid it terrified me. You'd navigate this 3D maze trying to find these guys to kill them, but you'd also hear their steps as they approached. The closer they were, the louder the noise. Sometimes they were on the other side of a wall, though, so you'd be freaking out thinking they were about to jump you but they were actually out of reach. Very effective for its time.

Left 4 Dead. Expert mode.

The end.

Silent Hill 2, the bit where pyramid head is staring at you from the other side of the bars in the hallway, I was 8 years old when I first played it, I had nightmares for days after that.

Overlord 2. Commanding e huge army, I got my goblins some wolves and everything was going fine.

Then out of nowhere comes an extremely loud howl, entirely alien, horrifyingly distorted and terrifyingly malicious. It made no goddamn sense, and plenty of bricks were shat. It must have been a sound glitch... or at least I hope so.

Star Wars Bounty Hunter on the Malastar level. You are approaching a factory through a jungle and in the jungle are these alien tigers that can essentially one hit kill you. They also like to hide...
I was freaking out because I could hear it breathing and growling, then I hear a roar. I pause the screen and behind me just in time to see two claws reaching for Jango Fett.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked