gaming mice/keyboards are they worth it?

im currently getting a my first gaming PC and was wondering how much of a difference the expensive gaming mice/keyboards make compared to the cheap 10 mice and keyboards ive been using in the past? ive seen many of the mice advertise extra buttons and high sensitivity but i seams like a bit of a scam to me as ive never had a problem with the mouse or keyboard on my netbook when i play on that

in terms of the mouse dont see how extra buttons and it being more sensitive will help (if anything i see it being annoying as the extra buttons look like they get in the way and the mouse ive got is already very sensitive and having an over sensitive mouse would surely lead to being less precise in fps and rts games)

in terms of the keyboard I just dont see how much difference can be made, I press buttons, I hit the buttons I want when I want (with abit of practice) and dont see how a keyboard can be significantly improved

OT: im also looking into astro A40 headsets any suggestions so far as that goes?

I asked the same question a while back, and the answers really weren't all that convincing. I've had some crappy keyboards in the past, but I've also had plenty of good ones that were definitely /not/ gaming keyboards. Same thing with mice; I've never needed more than three buttons and a scroll wheel, and the sensitivity even on the cheap ones is so much better than it was on the ball mice everyone was using when I was getting started out with M/Kb controls that I don't really see the need for anything better. The way I see it, it's kind of like those $1000 audio cables that people try to sell; sure, if you go too cheap, your performance is going to suffer, but that doesn't mean you can just keep pouring money into to it to get better performance. At some point, the bottleneck ceases to be the equipment and becomes you.

ABSOLUTELY!

The span of the keys on some generic keyboards can make things such as using Shift to sprint or use of the Ctrl and the 9 and 0 keys difficult. I like the one-hand keyboards like the G-15 as it has an analog stick for your thumb, multiple keys for your thumb to spam and closer placed keys.

Mouse? Yeah definitely. A good gaming mouse will have very fluid movement, more keys (side buttons) and feel very ergonomic vs. a standard mouse.

The more buttons on my mouse means the less buttons tied to my left hand. If dead fingers on my mouse hand can take over some of the load from my left hand fingers, then that's even better. A grenade or melee button on a mouse is an example.

I used to think the same about gaming mice, that the higher sensitivity wouldn't help, and that the mouse wouldn't be much different from the standard mouse that came with my computer. Then my mouse broke, and I decided to break down and spend $50 on a cheap gaming mouse, and HOLY SHIT the difference was massive.

When I got my new mouse it was like the thing floated on a freaking cloud. I hadn't noticed it ever before, but the standard mouse that I had been using had A LOT of drag on it. You really don't notice or care about it until you actually try out a gaming mouse and then the difference is instantly clear. My mouse also has 9 programmable buttons, which is great because I can assign each button a different inventory key, and have all my items/weapons available on the mouse and don't need to use the number buttons for it, allowing me to keep all my controls on the left side of the keyboard and never needing to move my hand.

The extra sensitivity does take some getting used to, but I've gotten it to the point where when I play a shooter I only play on the highest sensitivity, and my aim is still much more stable than when I was using my old mouse. It took about 3 weeks of practice to get the sensitivity to feel right, but now it feels absolutely wonderful and I could never go back.

I really do like having mouse 4 at least. There's usually at least one function that'll map to that conveniently. And most games support it. Beyond that, I can understand the appeal of the Naga in a hotkey MMO. Remapping my keys in the last one I played made quite a difference and having another row of powers easily accessible would be pretty sweet. Looking back on it, a simpler 5 button mouse would probably have served me just as well though.

I agree with the dirty hipster up thar, I never really thought I needed a new mouse until my old one broke, at which point I bought a Razer Deathadder and questioned why and how I had been using such a shit mouse for so long. I've got a Naga now for the assignable buttons, but I wouldn't buy it unless you find that to be an advantage, I'd just get a dope mouse without the pretty buttons. The problem with other mice isn't describable until you try a better mouse, and no I'm not saying this to make my dick hard every night as I masturbate with tears of regret; it really is better.

As for keyboards, I have no idea. I've been using this cumstained Logitech keyboard for years now, I've tried other ones but my hands are just used to this one so I haven't bothered upgrading. I have no idea about the A40's either but the Razer Megaladon is nice, I got one recently because again my last one broke and it's great so far, the mic is clear as balls and the surround sound is fucking epic, especially on games like Metro and sheit. I realise I sound like a Razer fanboy, I'm not, but I'd be lying if I said they haven't impressed me with their products.

I use a Razer Naga and I couldn't live withou tthe extra keys on teh side. So unbelievably useful.

Nah. I always figured, if I got used to it, then when I was gaming at a friend's house, I'd just be pissed I didn't have my fancy toys.

Plus, nothing could replace my precioussssss IBM Model M. Nothing.

It actually depends on you, it is you who hasto get used to all that fancy equipment.
Now if you are a very competitive player you probably should look into something higher class and as you rage on through the games you will probably learn your way around things.

But I have a "gaming" K&M set sitting under the table because they just don't work for me, all those extra buttons are actually in my way and I press them involuntarily more often then not.
However do pick up a high DPI mouse, that is universally better for everything.

Mice for sure make a difference that you don't notice until you get a good one. Hell a mousepad can make a difference when you go from a shitty neoprene one to a slick gaming one. I like a thumb button, but a good basic mouse with high sensitivity that is comfortable is nearly always going to be a gaming mouse.

I recently bought a tenkeyless mechanical KB, the best purchase I've made in a while, the keystrokes have a lovely feel but most importantly it doesn't have a numberpad. I can now sit with my hands a lot closer to each other. Much more comfortable.

octafish:
I recently bought a tenkeyless mechanical KB, the best purchase I've made in a while, the keystrokes have a lovely feel but most importantly it doesn't have a numberpad. I can now sit with my hands a lot closer to each other. Much more comfortable.

I'd like to get one of these, but at 100+ it just seems an outrageous amount. How much better can it really be than a cheap 10 keyboard?

I don't know about a gaming keyboard being any better since there's no analog nonsense. Mechanical keyboards I know have a more tactile feel and last longer and generally are just better but I can't say that a gaming keyboard is 100% worth it. My 20 dollar MS keyboard has lasted and never really gave out despite some rough love (got angry and hit it, so sue me) though I do have this crappy sharper image keyboard that is just awful, doesn't pick up button presses all the time and in general is pretty poor.

But a gaming mouse? Yah that will be noticeable, I got a G9x and it's FAR better than the old logitech generic 10 dollar mouse I had. Which was good in it's own right but there's no weird bouncing around or jittery movement. It's far smoother, and the weights that you can adjust seem a bit overkill to me, everyone else seems to like it.

xSKULLY:
snip

Ahh, single player? Not really, it might make things slightly more comfortable but not worth your money.

MMO/FPS? You need at least a gaming mouse, for the keybinds in the MMO and for the precision on the FPS.

RTS/DotA? Not really, what you need is to know all your keybinds by heart and be able to use them under pressure.

IMO a cheap 7 button gaiming mouse is all that's needed, and even there, just for some games. Then again having hardware side macros is amazing for both mouse and KB, but it is cheating, do it only if that doesn't bother you.

Djinn8:

octafish:

I'd like to get one of these, but at 100+ it just seems an outrageous amount. How much better can it really be than a cheap 10 keyboard?

I got a CoolerMaster one with red switches. It shouldn't be 100 pounds, it was under $100 Australian, so should be around 50-60 pounds. It makes a huge difference if you can type properly and get tactile switches, I can't type and the reds aren't tactile. The size is the biggest plus for me. Still feels better to use than a mushy keyboard though.

i currently have a Creative Fatality mouse... has 5 buttons, 3 DPI values to switch between and an interchangeable weight. out of those features i changed the weight ONCE, used the DPI setting only to a lower setting in some games, because it was too sensetive, and bound the 4th and 5th buttons with very specific games.

the 4th and 5th buttons for me get more wear with internet surfing, as it is convenient to go back and forth with them. to be honest, i can't live without those buttons while surfing :P

the bottom line is you might use only half the features of your gaming mouse, so it's better to get a professional looking mouse

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked