THE Game That Defined Your Childhood

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

The Simpsons: Hit & Run

i loved this game so much clocked it countless times.

Diddy Kong Racing for the N64 was the first game that I owned as a kid.

Pokemon Red. I was't allowed games of my own, but I'd borrow my childhood best friend's and play it all night at sleepovers after she'd gone to bed.

A little over a year ago, in my first term at university and the first few weeks after permanently moving out of my parents' home, I finally bought the game (and a Gameboy Colour) off ebay. I'd been gaming for a while by that point of course, but it seemed like a suitable, if silly, way of marking my new-found independence :P

I'm probably too young to answer this, seeing as I'm only 14, but the two games that stick out for me are Portal and Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Portal I've spent over 66 hours replaying on Steam, and Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask just has the most memories for me. Especially after I read the whole BEN story. *shivers*

For me it would have to be James Bond: Nightfire about 11 years ago, its the game that really got me into gaming...
Or any other James Bond games to be precise. I still think that Everything or Nothing is better than most 3rd person shooters today.

I guess I would have to say the Crash Bandicoot games and the Pokemon games although there are lots more than remind me of my childhood.

imnotparanoid:
This motherfucker, if I could get my hands on it now, you bet I would play the hell out of it again.

*looks at his copy on the shelf*

... oh fuck it... you just made me want to replay it and I have no time! D:

Knights of the Old Republic

I was a HUGE Star Wars nerd, I played the hell out of 2000s-era Star Wars games. And THAT game was certainly the best of them all.

(Which may be partly why I'm hesitant to bash BioWare. They made FREAKING KOTOR. When I learned that, I yelled SIGN ME UP FOR MASS EFFECT)

Spyro, Crash, Rayman, Donkey Kong Country series, Myst, The 7th Guest, Phantasmagoria

Too many games to name JUST one.

Ahriman's Prophercy

This. It wasn't really that great, and I remember that every time you got a power up a flamboyantly gay sounding voice would proclaim "YEEAAH!!!" (the sound effects were all really weird), but when I think of my childhood, I can't help but hear this song:

I can't remember if I ever actually beat it. I remember the final "boss" encounter, but I don't remember if I eve got past him. It was fun though, it was like playing Pac-Man as one of the fruits (i.e. running, desperately trying not to be eaten by the anthropomorphic cheese wheel behind you)

Tony Hawks pro skater 2, every single day me and my mate used to play it after school on my PS1, i miss those times, now i hate his guts and hes in another country and thps games turned to shit.

My first game was Sonic 2 for the Mega Drive, but I think the game that truly defined my childhood was Final Fantasy VI (or III as we knew it then).

Not sure I have one in particular that defined it, although I do have four that instantly come to mind: Heart of Darkness, Tomb Raider 3 (both to a lesser extent), Deus Ex, and Thief 2.

I was shit at all of them, but I think the feeling of just missing out on being able to experience DX and Thief 2 properly when they first came out is what has led to my absolute need for developers to start making immersive-sims again.

It does kind of me put at odds with most people who seem to have been fed Nintendo's stuff through a bloody IV drip.

Sonic The Hedgehog, First game I ever played and still haven't finished it all the way through! Damn!

I guess It's gotta be Sonic 3. I spend hours of a day mastering the special stages and figuring out where everything was at aged 7. Back when there was no internet to tell me where to look... crickey...

Pokemon, Spyro, Crash, Final Fantasy, Mario and many many others had helping hands but Sonic cemented the deal. I just couldn't get bored of Sonic.

Riven.

I spent weeks with my dad to complete that game as a four year old, and I remember everything to this day. Definitely THE game of my childhood.

Ape Escape, I spent months of time on that thing, I got 100% many times, then did the same on 2, 3 never quite enticed me in the same way though which I found somewhat depressing.

Karutomaru:

Lionsfan:
Banjo Kazooie, both 1 and 2. Those were the first 2 games I remember ever 100%ing, and investing time to finish the game

Ditto, except it took me years to finally beat the first game, and I moved on to the second before I was done.

This thread made me nostalgic so I dusted off my N64 to play Banjo-Kazooie again....only to find out I never 100%ed it. I only got 99 notes in Click Clock Woods, but never 100. Words can't describe how angry I was

/coolstorybro

Pokemon, Spyro the Dragon, Super Smash Brothers.

The Spyro series for PS1 mostly, with a little bit of Crash, Oddworld, and Tombi.

Well...to probably jump on a major bandwagon here, Pokemon Blue. It was the game that made me switch from "video games are stupid bleepy-light toys for ADD babies" to "OMG, video games are AWESOME".

Terminate421:

I want them to remake this on the 360.....with XBL matchmaking

God yes. My friends and I would have a 5 minute ceasefire in the beginning of our matches and just collect weapons. Then a+b. Then chaos.

Homeworld or Starcraft, the latter made me the cynical, man-hating snark that I am today.

Wingcommander 2, Final Fantasy 1, annnnnnnnnd I'll have to say Spacehulk! DEATHWING COMPANY!!! Drakken mixed with DOOM, and Aliens tossed in for good measure.

Hearing the music from "Sonic R" instantly transports me back to days of preschool, coloring books, and the absolute wonder that was running around a map playing tag as tails.

Hearing the Ending to Sonic the Hedgehog '91 as played by a orchestra made me cry tears of pure nostalgia. It was the most beautiful thing ever.

In fact, my childhood=Sonic.

BRB...gonna go look for the genesis and the saturn.

Galaga in a fish and chip shop circa 1983.

You'll see it to your left; Final Fucking Fantasy VIII.
When I haven't played it for ages the pre-menu credits and the opening cinematic almost nostalgify me to tears. Is that normal? I don't know.

I don't know if define is the right word, but the reason I am a gamer today is probably thanks to FIVE games.

Sonic 1 & 2, counted as one game.
X-Men for the Sega genesis
Diddy Kong racing
Duke Nukem
Mario 3

Those four got me hooked into the videogame world. There were also all the other greats I played. Star Fox, Super Mario 64, Zelda: Orcarina, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bro's, Sonic Adventure Battle 2, Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Runescape AND Neopets.

All these games defined my childhood gaming roots. I'm sure I am missing a few though.

I have a distinct childhood gaming memory of me playing Diddy Kong Racing with my grandfather Jack. He was horrible at the game and kept crashing into a river, but the experience was so grand for me as he was an adult that was playing a videogame with a kid and I had never seen this before.

Not to mention he died 10 years ago and I was 11 when he died, so I don't have many fond memories of him, but those I do have are very precious to me.

Tetris, Diddy Kong Racing, Sonic Adventure (Fucking love that game), Ocarina of Time, and last but not least halo:ce. Say what you want about that franchise, but beating that game co op with my brother is one of my fondest memories

randomsix:

Terminate421:

I want them to remake this on the 360.....with XBL matchmaking

God yes. My friends and I would have a 5 minute ceasefire in the beginning of our matches and just collect weapons. Then a+b. Then chaos.

One if the best games to play co op....EVER

Civilization 3.

The original Spyro and Rayman games.

Jak and Daxter series and Croc.

Anyone remember that cute character? :D

Sonic the Hedgehog and Goldeneye are the oldest games I remember playing but the first I ever owned and played through was LEGEND OF ZELDA: A LINK TO THE PAST :) that game helped to raise me. Also, gotta mention Pokemon.

Ha Final Fight was awesome too

Childhood, easy Pokemon Red Version, I saved up for that FOREVER and finally ( with my folks tossing in $20 of birthday money) had enough to go to Costco buy the game the gameboy color and the strategy guide in a package deal for $100. Now a hundred dollars is alot of money. To a 3rd grader in the 90's $100.00 was more money that I had ever held or seen in my entire life, I felt like Bill Gates and I was gonna go spend my entire fortune on ONE GAME, THE GAME.

So yeah, that's why Red version is MY GAME, but I didn't officially become a "gamer" until Jr High when I played Diablo II.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked