Video Game That Would Actually Make A Really Good Film?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

A few days ago, Youtube user Steelehouse Digital (http://www.youtube.com/user/SteelehouseDigital) uploaded this awesome fan film version of what PAC-MAN The Movie could look like. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out here - http://eclectic-review.blogspot.com/2012/04/video-pac-man-movie-060412-daily-dose.html

This got me thinking - what video game would make the best real-life movie?

There's been a few fairly rubbish ones (Doom and latter Resident Evil films spring to mind).
To my mind, there could be a really good full action Half-Life, Metal Gear Solid or maybe a Just Cause film. The games work well, but the same kind of action on the big screen could be really great!

What does everyone else think?

I think a bioshock movie would be well done, a mass effect and dragon age one too.

Minesweeper of course...

ChupathingyX:
Minesweeper of course...

Damnit, I was going to say Minesweeper =P

Looks like I'll have to say The Sims instead

The Xenosaga series.
Seriously if they made a movie series of xenosaga that was done well, like a peter jackson film...

KOS-MOS and Shion would be some of the most iconic movie figures of the current age.

The Darkness would actually make a really good film. Maybe.

Probably not.

FranBunnyFFXII:
KOS-MOS and Shion would be some of the most iconic movie figures of the current age.

From what I played of Xenosaga Episode 1 (or whatever), it pretty much already is a movie...at least that's the feeling I got after walking around a giant spaceship talking to people for the first 4 hours before any kind of "game" aspect kicked in. :P

As for my own nomination, I'd say it would do the entire franchise justice if someone could effectively pull off Alien vs Predator 2 from the PC. I really enjoyed the way the 3 campaigns in that game melded together. None of this "enemy of my enemy BS". All 3 protagonists end up indirectly helping the other two just by the actions they, themselves, are taking (i.e. marine is on the run, he needs to get into a hatch beneath the pod the predator is in. So he hits a button that starts up the wake-up sequence for the pred, gets access to his hatch, and gets out of there).

Lagao:
I think a bioshock movie would be well done, a mass effect and dragon age one too.

Bioshock, yes. Although Bioshock would be better if the protagonist was replaced with Dr. Tenenbaum. She's a better cinematic character - the whole storyline with Jack, Fontaine becoming a monster, and so on works much better in a game. It might work well in black and white, deliberately invoking stuff like The Fountainhead and spiraling into something out of Nosferatu.

Mass Effect and Dragon Age, no. The "riffing on other, better fantasy and SF settings" thing Bioware does works okay in a game, but if they tried to do it in a movie they'd wind up with something like Eragon.

Also, I still think Prince of Persia: Competent Writer/Director/Actors Edition might be a good movie. The platforming and combat segments in that game are more or less incidental to the plot - the main thing is the interaction between characters. IMO it could definitely be very good in the right hands.

I always thought the hotel level of the first Hitman would make a great basis for a fim. Then that abomination of a film was made and my dreams extinguished.

I'd honestly think a Mirrors Edge film would do well (as long as it wasn't over the top and riddled with dub step). Failing that, maybe Deus Ex (HR era), Mass Effect, obviously CoD if you're into crappy modern war movies.

From a gamer's perspective, why should we care about games being made into movies? Of course, from a film studio's executive's perspective, it's easy to see why they'd do it since they're intellectually bankrupt and are willing to try to sell any shit to the masses. But, why should we care?

Mass Effect. It could easily be another Star Wars trilogy(original) if done correctly. The story is there, just needs to be put to film.

None that I can think of. Most games would lend themselves better to a tv series.

Deus Ex might be the first "interactive" movie. Audiences can choose what they want the protagonist to do.

Lagao:

I agree, and one was in pre-production before they decided to can it in exchange for another crappy "Pirates of the Caribean" cash-in. So, yeah, thanks for that.

Anyway, I'd love to see a "Starlancer" movie, and a PROPER "Wing Commander".

For more recent games, I'd love a movie adaptation of either "inFAMOUS" or "Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare".

Trouble is all these films try to follow a game plot rather base a story around the characters.
All the talk of an Uncharted film was pointless, because they are the best film influenced games around and if you ignore certain things about a game that the fans feel is the core of the experience, regardless of how big a part it might play in said title, then the fans are going to be pissed.

Now, obviously game fans are the hardest to please and the easiest to upset, but if games are going to be used for films, then they need to follow the rules set by the better performing comic based movies. Batman, Iron Man, Spider-Man all stayed true to what the characters were, we'll ignore Iron Man 2 glossing over the alcohol issues Stark battled so brilliantly in the comics.

For me, a God of War story would be the tits. But it'd need a budget and a bit more heart than the sulking teenager shtick that Kratos epic is becoming.

Spot1990:
None that I can think of. Most games would lend themselves better to a tv series.

also this.

The_Deleted:

Now, obviously game fans are the hardest to please and the easiest to upset,

I don't know about that. Look at what games get discussed as if they have "good writing."

Now that I think about it, something like Dead Rising may actually make a decent film. Maybe it's just me thinking that though (more than likely)

To all of those that say Mass Effect and Dragon Age and those sorts of games, the problem with them is the choice that they are known for. People would go to it and end up hating it because "That's not MY Shepard". Making a film about the universe - for example, the First Contact War in Mass Effect - may work, but basing it on the games wouldn't.

Kahunaburger:

The_Deleted:

I don't know about that. Look at what games get discussed as if they have "good writing."

Agreed.

I can never decide whether to laugh or cry whenever I see someone refer to the The Witcher 2 as having good writing.

One of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games could work I think.

what would be a good game movie.. nothing and none. dont give people ideas about this ever, dont even think about it. nothing good ever comes from video game movies

Zhukov:

Kahunaburger:

The_Deleted:

Agreed.

I can never decide whether to laugh or cry whenever I see someone refer to the The Witcher 2 as having good writing.

That one's actually pretty okay. It's good for a game, but I wouldn't buy a novel of equivalent quality. The dialogue suffers from severe "George, you can type this shit, but you sure as hell can't say it" syndrome, but dialogue quality =/= writing quality, particularly in RPGs. But yeah, it is a pretty good example of the dancing bear thing in video games. It's not stellar writing or plotting by the standards of the fantasy genre in general, but man does it look awesome if you put it next to Dragon Age: Origins and Skyrim.

Kahunaburger:

Zhukov:

Kahunaburger:

Agreed.

That one's actually pretty okay. It's good for a game, but I wouldn't buy a novel of equivalent quality. The dialogue suffers from severe "George, you can type this shit, but you sure as hell can't say it" syndrome, but dialogue quality =/= writing quality, particularly in RPGs. But yeah, it is a pretty good example of the dancing bear thing in video games. It's not stellar writing or plotting by the standards of the fantasy genre in general, but man does it look awesome if you put it next to Dragon Age: Origins and Skyrim.

While I agree that its writing beats the hell out of Skyrim, I'd place it significantly below DA:O. Despite being cliche as hell and rather unimaginative, Dragon Age at least managed to deliver some well defined and memorable characters.

Also, what is "the dancing bear thing"? I'm not familiar with the phrase.

Call of Duty. The entire single player champaign is just one action movie set piece and explosion after another. Give it to Michael Bay, it'll keep him from ruining everyone's childhoods for a little while.

Kahunaburger:

The_Deleted:

That probably has less to do with overall quality and more to do with the reductionist way that the videogame community in general treats "writing".

Edit:

Zhukov:

"The marvel is not that the bear dances well, but that the bear dances at all."

Zhukov:

Kahunaburger:

Zhukov:

Agreed.

While I agree that its writing beats the hell out of Skyrim, I'd place it significantly below DA:O. Despite being cliche as hell and rather unimaginative, Dragon Age at least managed to deliver some well defined and memorable characters.

Hal10k:

"The marvel is not that the bear dances well, but that the bear dances at all."

I think the problem with Dragon Age characters is that, while they're memorable, they're memorable for similar reasons that Jacob and Edward are memorable. They don't feel like real people, and their responses feel more like they respond to the format of the story (well, I have more than a few lines of dialogue. I must be a companion! Time to put the rest of my life on hold and risk death for no apparent reason!)

The plot and dialogue in that game are even further into dancing bear territory than Witcher 2. Instead of "hey, this political storyline is actually kind of interesting and fun!" it's "hey, the writers understand that politics is a thing that exists!"

Hal10k:

Kahunaburger:

The_Deleted:

That probably has less to do with overall quality and more to do with the reductionist way that the videogame community in general treats "writing".

I think a little of column A, a little of column B. If I see another thread on a video game forum about SF/fantasy novels praising Eragon or some tie-in novel...

The natural one that I think of is Alan Wake, although it might make a better TV show since its pretty much set up that way.

I think you could also do a whole slew of silent hill movies with a different protagonist every time (as long as they got rid of that evil cult business). I thought the last silent hill movie was alright, not amazing but I didnt want to walk out of the theatre halfway through

The Darkness would make a good film, I think. And people seem to be into the comic-book movies now.

Other than that, Darksiders could work too. Ooh, and even though I never finished it, Dark Sector would be cool.

... not EVERY game I own has the word Dark in it, alright?

Heavy Rain mainly because...it practically already is a movie.

Call me crazy, but Journey could actually be pretty good.

To me the game sort of reminds me of watching stuff like Fantasia. That and it's sequel from what I remember didn't have any dialogue, they were visually appealing, and the stories basically spoke for themselves.

Games like the Mass Effect series, I personally feel fits better as a TV show. A movie probably wouldn't do them justice as the games have so much content within them. Even a movie trilogy won't be able to fit in.

I want a Dead Island movie. Since the whole cast was a bit bland it would be no problem to expand their personalities without going away from the source material. Directors and writers tend to do their own version anyway.

With a beloved series to much would be changed for a "bigger" audience.

Games with less characterization seem to work better.
hmm, now i want to watch postal.

Not a game per-se, but two universes which would make a DAMN good movie are Fallout and EvE. I wouldn't pattern the movie after the games in those universes, but I would use them as references regarding the canon, and I honestly think quite a few good movies could come out of both.

Think about it. Even Michael Bay could pull something good out of it. Great War of 2077 comes to mind here. He's good at explosions, just imagine how good he'd be at showing us a nuclear Armageddon.

As for EvE...go through the backstory CCP came up with. You've got 50 years worth of movie scripts sitting there. Wars between the factions, both on the ground and in space, will make sooo many action movies. The ship variety even lends itself to the possibility of a 1-hour TV show focusing on the pilot and crew of a single ship trapped in the lawless regions of New Eden.

I think Bastion could make for an interesting animated film. You can even cater to the people who like 3D movies with the floating blocks and all.

I would be careful with directing it but I feel I could pull of an actual Halo movie. (Nothing to do with any of the main characters, just a chapter in the franchise somewhere)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked