What annoys you the most in modern gaming?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

See the poll (which has vanished...) to get some ideas. Personally I can't really decide which is worst, I think all of those together are slowly killing gaming for me.

EDIT: The poll was:
1. downloadable content
2. digital rights management
3. turn towards digital distribution
4. Obsession of companes with multiplayer

Dumbing down, and by that I mean.

-The health bar is mostly gone, now we have regenerating health.
-Inventories are nearly always in list format rather than the far superior grid format which is far better for navigation and management.
-RPGs are losing detail and stats. Look at Deus Ex:HR and Skyrim compared to Deus Ex and Morrowind.

The focus on graphics over content. Again look at Deus Ex compared to it's sequel for an example.

The horrible merging of PC gaming and console gaming. Both used to be nearly separate and did their own thing but this gen they have been drunkenly mashed together to the detriment of both.

Shitty DRM.

That's a few things.

The sixty dollar price tags.

I know that may seem petty, but I just say that because I don't have many other complaints. I only buy a small handful of games a year, so I don't have any major complaints that applies to everything I play. (in fact really, most games I buy don't even have the 60 dollar price tag lol)

the fact that allot of people moan and bitch about how "bad" modern gaming is and how old games were so much better.

newsflash you don't have to play games, no one is forcing you to, feel free to go back and play retro games of just quit gaming at all if its so bad you need to make a big song and dance about how bad it maybe its time you found a different hobby

oh and game dev's that listen to the complainers because it doesn't fix games or solve anything, it just leads to more complaining.

Hmm... it's a threefour-way tie between sexism, streamlining, shitty writing, and a general lack of systems-level thought about the interaction between mechanics in game design. There's often overlap.

xSKULLY:
the fact that allot of people moan and bitch about how "bad" modern gaming is and how old games were so much better.

I can't speak for everyone, but it annoys me that while modern games do show progress in some areas, they regress in others (see also: streamlining, lack of systems-level mechanic design.) It's like a substantial chunk of the industry doesn't get that there are games older than 5 years, and games older than 5 years are the way they are for reasons that we can learn from.

Harder to localize games.

Regenerating Health

Can only carry two guns at once.

Which is why Resistance 3 is the best modern shooter of this gen.

The people complaining about it over and over.

While I do agree with some complaints to an extent, I can't help but feel that some people seem to be ignoring the good that comes with modern gaming. For every CoD there's a game like Journey.

Also, to those who answered regenerating health: Do you know what game had regenerating health?

Matthew94:
Dumbing down, and by that I mean.

-The health bar is mostly gone, now we have regenerating health.
-Inventories are nearly always in list format rather than the far superior list format which is far better for navigation and management.
-RPGs are losing detail and stats. Look at Deus Ex:HR and Skyrim compared to Deus Ex and Morrowind.

The focus on graphics over content. Again look at Deus Ex compared to it's sequel for an example.

The horrible merging of PC gaming and console gaming. Both used to be nearly separate and did their own thing but this gen they have been drunkenly mashed together to the detriment of both.

Shitty DRM.

That's a few things.

This. Game companies are using the "DUMB THAT SHIT DOWN" formula. Jump into the game, follow your quest compass and you hit the awesome button until the world explodes and you're covered in a pile of steaming achievement-bullshit that tells you how great you are. Then you have your devs that try and turn these fuckin games into movies, complete with 'emotional engagements', having gamers overly concerned about which characters they're gonna try and bang next.

It's like they're just trying to appeal to little kids/casuals/women now with this bullshit.

The complaints and snobbery. See above.

Also, the bad writing. But that's always been around.

The gamers. Period. That's why I pretty much stick to single player.

Captcha: See red.

Why yes. Yes, I do.

Honestly, my issues aren't with the games at all. I feel that, today, games are probably better than they've ever been as a whole and, even if you are a very niche gamer, you can still find things to enjoy.

My biggest issue is with the extreme entitlement among far too many gamers. There are cases where honest and heartfelt feedback is given, as displayed in many reactions to ME3, but there are far too many cases where games bitch and moan for no reason. Or, more specifically, because Game D wasn't specifically made to cater exactly to their individual tastes and, heck, they paid for Game A B and C so there's no reason why it shouldn't have been. There's also the situations where, as in the cases of used games or piracy, where much of the whining comes directly from having no clue how businesses and game development actually work due to a "Me, me, me!" perspective.

Zhukov:

Snobbery ? It's called fucking reality. You make like the direction that gaming has gone, doesn't mean everyone has to. Would you be happier if I sugar coated everything and not tell it like it is ?

Gamers who do nothing but complain about anything video game related. It's an entertainment medium, why are you not entertained?

That writers still haven't learned that seeing a story 2000 times in a row is a bit boring. Yeah, I know themes and stuff, but seriously, can we please play a game where I'm not a grisly looking, hugely muscled, growly-voiced "badass" saving the world, or a "realistic" game based today with me fighting foreigners stealing nukes?

I mean, there's way too little risktaking. Sure, I'd prefer the safe and unoriginal of today than the downright broken ones yesterday, but still, a bit of innovation had been nice.

And with inoovation, I don't mean beeing bunnies shooting rainbows, or the JRPG cliche of youngsters with impossible hairstyles fighting Satan and his goons with equally impossible haistyles and ridiculous looks.

I think the problem is that too few games today still are badly written as hell. "But hey, it's okay, because in games, story doesn't matter at all", we really need to get rid of that mentality.

Zhukov:

Anthraxus:

Zhukov:

Snobbery ? It's called fucking reality. You make like the direction that gaming has gone, doesn't mean everyone has to. Would you be happier if I sugar coated everything and not tell it like it is ?

Yes dear, of course.

The doctor will be bringing your pills in just a few minutes. Try to take deep breaths in the meantime.

Actually, with this kickstarter movement going on now and possible image on the horizon, I might not need them.

The Publishers.

All the reducing and crap tactics used always seem to be revolved around the publishers decision.

Also, the copy-pasting.

Of course, a lot of this is also because of, as said before, the Gamers. You keep buying things that have these features and letting games that don't die, well, no companies going to be stupid enough to try that again are they?

Anthraxus:

Zhukov:

Anthraxus:

Yes dear, of course.

The doctor will be bringing your pills in just a few minutes. Try to take deep breaths in the meantime.

Actually, with this kickstarter movement going on now and possible image on the horizon, I might not need them.

Yeah, the whole kickstarter thing is a very cool development.

Although I worry about how projects that lack name recognition will fare. Not everyone is Brian Fargo or Tim Schafer. Also, not sure how much staying power it will have once the novelty wears off.

But in the meantime it's nice to see a way for niche, lower-cost titles to bypass all the publisher-related bullshit.

Zhukov:

Anthraxus:

Zhukov:

Yes dear, of course.

Yeah, the whole kickstarter thing is a very cool development.

Although I worry about how projects that lack name recognition will fare. Not everyone is Brian Fargo or Tim Schafer. Also, not sure how much staying power it will have once the novelty wears off.

But in the meantime it's nice to see a way for niche, lower-cost titles to bypass all the publisher-related bullshit.

Yea, I don't know about it as a long term solution. Hopefully if W2 is a success, a team like InXile or Obsidian say, can go the self publishing route, like Larian Studios.

DRM
Online passes
Regenerating health
Two weapon limits
"fans"
Unneeded, tacked-on, multiplayer
Cutscenes
Quick-time events
Dice-roll mechanics
Turn based anything

Hate people that refuse to play a game well. I don't want you wasting my fucking time by dicking around and playing crappy. People that get a kick out of screwing over their buddies and being the sole cause of losing a match. People that claim that it is just a game and they can play however they want. Of course it's just a game, learn the basics before you go online or vs someone. Want is the point of just trolling people all the damn time. Don't blame the game because you suck balls at it and find that being a jerk is the only way to go. Of course I just don't want to hear excuses on this subject. Now whatever the strategy happens to be for that particular game, try to be better at it or get the fuck out.

I've never had problems of regenerating health, just with the over-abundance of it in modern video games.

I *get* regenerating health as a game design choice. Games with regenerating health punish you for making a few big mistakes, but allow you to make many small ones without problem

Healthpacks and such without regenerating health punish you for making many small mistakes, but they will fogive you for making a few big ones if your playstyle so far has been excellent.

Not every game benefits from regenerating health but some games can put it into great use, such as Cthulhu Saves The World. Because you heal after every fight, the developers are allowed to make each random battle as hard as they want! Your MP has very limited recovery (bigger recovery when you finish the fight faster) and *that* will most certainly bite you in the *** sooner or later

I think game devs should make a hybrid system between regen health and health packs, because both system have problems.

Like split the health bar into 4ths and you regen inside each 4th but to get back above that you need a health pack.

It would bring back some more of the tactical need to know were health packs are and how long it takes them to repsawn aspect of older FPS, but at the same time it wouldn't make it too hard for people who don't know exactly when they do, becuase that was the biggest problem of older FPS online like quake, those who knew when they repawned dominated, I remember people made programs to tell them when health packs respawned specifically for that reason.

Modern military shooter mostly. Health regeneration, blood splatters on screen, stupid numbers appearing on the screen every time you kill someone in multiplayer, narrow field of view, two weapon limit, always online DRM (fuck off Diablo 3), day one DLC and QTEs.

The only game where I didn't mind health regeneration is Crysis because on Elite difficulty it didn't matter what kid of health system you have since you could die from just a single bullet.

Well the games that I play I've got no grievances with, well online passes are a ball ache even though I mostly buy new but when I buy a game used and find I need an online pass I die inside a little. I wasn't really a gamer last gen so I couldn't compare it to this one, but I wish there were more games with wacky storylines and good gameplay. Oh and there should be more games like the Uncharted series.

The consumers, forgetting this is, always has been and always will an industry driven by profit and the growth of profit.

The disillusionment that any company is a friend or anything other than an entity by something more than the intake of money.

If a company appears to be handling your desires, or listening to you it is only because that method of business has been chosen as their modus operandi and deemed as the most efficient way to gain the profit.

The whining when this is forgotten is what annoys me. A slight annoyance, mind. I don't lose sleep or give it any further thought outside of these forums.

An obsession with multiplayer instead of co-op.

Actually, more like the vocal majority that plays multiplayer, to be more precise. I was fine with Goldeneye 64, not so much with whatever the mainstream rage-room is.

Norrdicus:

I *get* regenerating health as a game design choice. Games with regenerating health punish you for making a few big mistakes, but allow you to make many small ones without problem

Healthpacks and such without regenerating health punish you for making many small mistakes, but they will fogive you for making a few big ones if your playstyle so far has been excellent.

I strongly prefer the latter to the former. I like the fact that games with health packs have significant fight-to-fight variation based on whether or not you have been able to heal up recently. You're either on top of everything, or in full fight/flight mode. I can't stand the monotony of modern linear cover-based shooters with health regen.

Dumbing down is a serious issue for games, I find.

Every game wants to "Capture the market" of some other game rather than making one for themselves.

Risk is treated with disdain and originality is basically dead.

Every big-name shooter wants to be Call of Duty, rather than their own identity.

DLC is seen as a way to get more money out of the consumer than to add more content to your game. Rather than building on the game, assets are taken out and held back.

My complaint is that so many games are just so serious and that so few have any sense of humor about themselves or anything. Like we have way too many shooters, but so many are military shooters which place you in very serious military settings, and then we have Gears of War/Halo space type shooters but instead of having any fun with the absurd weapons, everything is played so straight. So much is dark and gritty without any variation from that one tone. Fallout breaks this tradition, but the series has a strong history of black humor, DNF breaks this tradition but it's DNF, and in terms of new series, the only ones I can think of of any genre that I've played in the past few years with any sense of levity are Portal (great in this regard), Mass Effect (but only a little bit), Bayonetta (not a great example to follow), and No More Heroes (over the top but not fun to play in my book). Dark and gritty has its place, but last gen, we had much stronger showings from Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Psychonauts, Katamari Damacy, Okami, Chibi Robo, and many others. Maybe its the decline of Japanese influence, and thus Japanese quirkiness, over Western gamers, but I enjoy whimsy and humor far more than being macho and serious

SajuukKhar:
DRM
Online passes
Regenerating health
Two weapon limits
"fans"
Unneeded, tacked-on, multiplayer
Cutscenes
Quick-time events
Dice-roll mechanics
Turn based anything

"Dice-roll mechanics"
"Turn based anything"

LOL. I think you meant to write button mashing and real time combat. This is a topic about MODERN GAMING, FFS.

Anthraxus:

"Dice-roll mechanics"
"Turn based anything"

LOL. I think you meant to write button mashing and real time combat. This is a topic about MODERN GAMING, FFS.

And some games still use turn based and dice roll mechanics.

SajuukKhar:

And some games still use turn based BS

Seriously, man, all them chess and go players should just l2p CoD

SajuukKhar:
and dice roll mechanics.

Oh, wait... Tribes, then? Maybe?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked