54.5% (291)
No
34.3% (183)
34.3% (183)
Maybe/Not Sure
11% (59)
11% (59)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Could you really give up on Bioware?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I don't know how many times in the past month I've been told, "Oh, shut up, pal. You're going to buy everything they make, and you damned well know it." Will I? There was once a time when I thought I couldn't survive without Final Fantasy, but look at me now--another one of those came out a little while ago, and I hardly noticed. So it's not like this is unprecedented, at least in my case.

Why wouldn't I stop buying from them? First, we got the thirty-plus-hour cavalcade of mediocrity that was Dragon Age 2. Then Mass Effect 3 left me feeling like my best friend kicked me in the nuts and stole my car. And now, strike three: the upcoming "clarification" of the ending. Such a thing might be possible, in the same way that I might be able to clarify a train wreck with a feather duster. I can't see how anything but an act of God could save that tangled mass of plot holes and nonsense.

And I somehow doubt that Bioware can get its act back together, or even that their corporate overlords will give them a chance to try. We've all seen what usually happens when a developer winds up in EA's clutches, after all...hey, there's a silver lining, now that I think of it. Dumping Bioware means dumping EA, once and for all. I'm perfectly okay with that.

Anyway, that's me. How about you?

EDIT: I'll just leave this here.

Nope because I've yet to play a Bioware game that I didn't love.

Sure, some are worst than others but every one of their games I've played has given me a ton of enjoyment.

Nah.

There's something about the way that they do characters and dialogue that will keep me coming back.

Most definitely. Mass Effect as we know it is done, no matter how you feel about the ending. I would love to try TOR but I do not play games that get more expensive over time. DA2 was tripe, and unless DA3 does a complete 180 and go back to Origins, I won't be buying it. There is nothing else on the horizon for Bioware. I won't pretend I can see the future, but from here I'm done with them.

I didn't exactly "give them up" (if they make a well-written game that doesn't use Origin, I'll buy it), but I haven't bought a Bioware game since Mass Effect 2. Between New Vegas, Witcher/Witcher 2, and Human Revolution, I haven't really had much of a need for Bioware games. Other people do the "ARPG with dialogue trees and a story" thing much better these days.

I gave up on them after EA bought them. Once EA gets you, your company is living on Borrowed Time, no matter how good you are.

Could and did. My "brand loyalty" has been zero ever since I remember, so it's no surrpise tho.

I havent bought a Bioware game since, what, the first Mass Effect?

Since then I have just been leeching the games from friends who are more generous to companies like EA.

I would love to say I feel good about playing their games without paying a single cent, but the games are such tripe its not the case.

Seeing as how I never really followed the developers much to begin with, I can say Yes, I can.

I very rarely believe in developer loyalty (with a few notable exceptions who have earned it over the years)

When/If Bioware releases a game that actually looks like something I would like to play, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

But right now that just hasn't happened yet.

If Bioware's next game gets absolutely glowing reviews from people who didn't like Mass Effect 3, I might consider buying it if it also comes with a coupon for a free blowjob from Christina Hendricks.

Anything short of that, and Bioware is off my buy list.

Bioware we knew (Baldurs Gate 1&2, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 1) no longer exists. The mindset the development studio had ceased to exist once they have been sold to Electronic Arts. Like it or not, they are a different company now, with different politics. Name stays the same, but that's pretty much about it.

If customers keep treating it (and keep feelings) the same, they are only blinding themselves.

I said it before, I'm saying it again. There is no "Bioware" and "Electronic Arts" anymore. There is now only "Bioware, division of EA". Treat it as such.

After the PAX panel, it looks like I am. An epilogue and some more skins for multiplayer? I don't use the term "insulted" very often, but good god. They don't give a rat's ass about artistic integrity, player involvement, complex story telling, nothing. They're well on their way to churning out generic multiplayer shooters with lame product tie ins... actually, they're already at that point.

So yeah, fuck them. Seriously, I'm done being talked down to and ignored. Here's hoping Projekt Red clues in to the fact that if they make their protagonist something other than a walking phallus with a 5 o'clock shadow they could reel in all the disillusioned female gamers who're getting ready to make an exodus from ME. Not that it's a problem for me mind you, but it'd be good for business.

Well I could easily yeah but it wouldnt be a `I am suddenly going to stop buying from Bioware` decision it would and is more or less an unconscious choice I have played and enjoyed quite a few games from them but I have never seen them as a special developer or anything and I certainly havent liked all their stuff.

I do believe it was the beginning of the end as soon as EA took over but I cant say I will be sad or happy to see them go.

I already did. After the painfull DA:O I gave up on the idea of Bioware creating any kind of 1: interesting story 2: interesting gameplay or 3: well designed setpieces. ME1 and ME2 proved me right in at least two of those points each.

Well, I've enjoyed every Bioware game I've played up until now, so no, until they make a game I don't enjoy

Yeah.

ME3's ending is the big thing, obviously (and this insulting DLC cutscene they're trying to placate us with makes it worse, if anything). But I'm not a big fan of the dragon age series either (not even the first one) so... I'm not exactly holding my breath for their next game.

Emiscary:
They're well on their way to churning out generic multiplayer shooters with lame product tie ins... actually, they're already at that point.

Yeah, that too. Didn't they once say they were going after the Call of Duty crowd? Well, that's not me.

Emiscary:
Here's hoping Projekt Red clues in to the fact that if they make their protagonist something other than a walking phallus with a 5 o'clock shadow they could reel in all the disillusioned female gamers who're getting ready to make an exodus from ME. Not that it's a problem for me mind you, but it'd be good for business.

I'm not a female gamer, but that would help, among other things. It's pretty frustrating: I like everything I've heard about CD Projekt (their stance on DRM, etc.), but I just got the first Witcher a week ago and I couldn't make it an hour in. The combat was just clicking on tiny guys over and over, the dialogue was clumsily written and awkwardly delivered, and the hero was kind of lame. I think the people who knew what they were doing left Bioware after EA took over; maybe RED could try hiring them.

(Captcha: "am I happy?" Not particularly, at the moment.)

It's gonna depend entirely on Dragon age 3 . It's biowares last chance for me . They better make it good , damn good .

I think you mean "Why would I stop buying from them?", but that's just me being my English Major self. :-)
Anyway, I'm not really sure. The only game that is on the radar for me is Dragon Age III. After that, I very well may stop buying games made by them, but at the same time I may not. It really depends on how this new ending DLC is going to work. They scored major points by making it free, so we'll see. I did buy Knights of the Old Republic, but that was back when I didn't know what BioWare was. Also picked up Mass Effect, but only after it had been out for a while because I heard everyone talking about it. Bought Dragon Age Origins because I was looking for something to play, the game had good reviews, and the free DLC was going to expire in about a week. Bought the sequels to those games because I liked the first ones. I don't know if I'd deliberately avoid buying BioWare games because I never deliberately bought them. After this though, there was a time where I was seriously considering to never pick up their product again after Dragon Age III. But they've done a good job of at least trying to make up for it, so my annoyance has calmed to simple mild disappointment.

After dragon age 2, i kinda already did. Its a shame really.

dreadedcandiru99:

Emiscary:
Here's hoping Projekt Red clues in to the fact that if they make their protagonist something other than a walking phallus with a 5 o'clock shadow they could reel in all the disillusioned female gamers who're getting ready to make an exodus from ME. Not that it's a problem for me mind you, but it'd be good for business.

I'm not a female gamer, but that would help, among other things. It's pretty frustrating: I like everything I've heard about CD Projekt (their stance on DRM, etc.), but I just got the first Witcher a week ago and I couldn't make it an hour in. The combat was just clicking on tiny guys over and over, the dialogue was clumsily written and awkwardly delivered, and the hero was kind of lame. I think the people who knew what they were doing left Bioware after EA took over; maybe RED could try hiring them.

(Captcha: "am I happy?" Not particularly, at the moment.)

Witcher 1's combat is kinda shit, yeah. And the dialogue was meh. And the quests are repetitive as...I dunno, counting sheep or something. Give Witcher 2 a shot though; it's a lot better in almost every way.

I made it about 15 hours into Witcher 1 waiting for something interesting to happen, and wished I quit after the first hour (I hear it picks up after the long and boring second act. Can't tell you from experience though). But I've played the second Witcher twice, and I'll play it again when the Enhanced Edition comes out.

Easily, I buy games based on their content not because a certain company makes them.

Yep, ME3 was my final EA game too. I have zero interest in Dragon Age after the last train wreck, and I don't usually buy most EA games. For me it's more about being sick of their money-grubbing dickishness. From Ashes (which I bought anyway because I figure that it's the last $10 I'll ever give them and I'll enjoy the content) was the final straw in that. Not tolerating their crap anymore. Also I hate Origin.

Maybe.
I enjoyed Mass Effect. I found Mass Effect 2 to have improved on the first in many ways. Some things were worse, some things were better. I haven't played ME3. I would be likely to buy it if it came on Steam, since the other games and all that time is invested in the Steam versions. At least, I would buy it on origin if I knew I could use my save game Shepard in ME3 with no problems.
I enjoyed the story so far, and am pretty invested in it, so I'd like to see it to the end. All I hear about the ending is people saying they dislike it, not that it's poorly made or poorly interacts with the story. If I hear complaints of that nature from reviewers whose opinions I wholly trust, then I'd believe the ending was bad.
The putting out DLC to 'fix' it, I can't approve of. Basically, they are rescinding an artistic choice because people whined. I would respect them much more if they stood by it.

Dragon age: Origins was fun. I'm running through it again, for the third time. Except now I'm using cheats, and having a hilarious amount of fun. Max level? check. God mode? check. Every ability and specialization learned? check. More specializations than the game allows normally? check. Every ability and spell? check. Modified appearance? check. Basically a god among mortals? yup, and loving every minute of it.

Dragon Age 2 was really weak though. Story problems as mentioned here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/firstperson/9353-When-Dragon-Age-II-Fell-Apart

I'm in agreement with the final point: Dragon Age 2 was rushed, and the game even has a feel of being a bit rushed.

Maybe if Bioware made another game along the lines of Dragon Age: origins, Mass Effect, or even Mass Effect 2, I'd buy and be happy about it again. Until then, I may buy a game from them, depending on how it is described. Enjoying it or not? that remains to be seen.
But no, they aren't really my preferred developer after having gone through Dragon Age 2.

dyre:
Give Witcher 2 a shot though; it's a lot better in almost every way.

Guess I could look into it in a week, when I have money again. Does it matter if I don't know what happened in the first game, though? (Or am I right in assuming that the entire plot of the first game is "And then Our Hero went to Location X and banged Lady Y, 20 GOTO 10"?)

Sexy Devil:
I have zero interest in Dragon Age after the last train wreck...

Ditto. I wasn't especially psyched for it, even before the ME3 ending fiasco. I don't know, maybe now I'll buy a used copy from Gamestop and give it to another customer for nothing, just to spite EA.

Haven't bought Mass Effect 3, and won't by Dragon Age 3 either.

Don't intend to until they come out for Steam.

And if they don't like it? Too fucking bad.

=HCFS=Discoman:
All I hear about the ending is people saying they dislike it, not that it's poorly made or poorly interacts with the story.

It is poorly made, and it does poorly interact with the story. If/when you get ME3 and finish it, watch this. I think it pretty much covers everything.

Risingblade:
Easily, I buy games based on their content not because a certain company makes them.

Amen. You, good sir, are a true voice of reason. I feel the exact same way.

I'm not going to banish all things EA/BioWare just because of one dud of an ending. I also did rather enjoy Dragon Age II. It wasn't Dragon Age: Origins, but it was good on its own.

Regardless, I will judge whether to get a game by the game itself, not who made it.

dreadedcandiru99:

dyre:
Give Witcher 2 a shot though; it's a lot better in almost every way.

Guess I could look into it in a week, when I have money again. Does it matter if I don't know what happened in the first game, though? (Or am I right in assuming that the entire plot of the first game is "And then Our Hero went to Location X and banged Lady Y, 20 GOTO 10"?)

For the story, you could just watch this instead; link courtesy of another Escapist user who made a thread for those of us who couldn't get through the first game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPHgWfWFr9k&feature=player_embedded

That said, you can play Witcher 2 without having ever played Witcher 1 (and without watching the the story summary video) and you'll be fine.

There's a main story involving some pro-human crusaders vs some elf/dwarf/etc terrorists, but it's not too important for Witcher 2.

Also, if you didn't like the, uh, collectible card game in Witcher 1, rest assured Witcher 2 handles sex in a much more mature way.

I could stop buying from them. I could grow wings and fly into the sun. Who knows. Is it likely? No. But certainly possible.

I already have, so I guess the answer's yes.

I'd assume the majority of people won't, though.

No, Not yet specially considering CPR games come out 4 years or so.

Never, they currently possess a metric shit ton of good will from me, sure DA2 was of questionable quality (I liked it but good god it had problems), and if the hype is to be believed when Mass Effect 3 ends it releases a swarm of flesh eating beetles into your home. But nothing they've done so far has indicated to me that they've 'lost their way' or whatever the line is at the moment.
As of the foreseeable future I will gladly buy whatever they put out, this viewpoint may change, but a game would have to be ungodly horrible for me to lose faith in them (I'm talking the type of horrible where Bioware would actively deny its existence).

I just hope Bioware doesn't go the way of Pandemic and other developers EA bought up and skull fucked to death.

I could give up on them easily - if I had reason too.

I really have no reason to at the moment though. I don't think i've ever played a game that Bioware made that I didn't enjoy thoroughly.

No. I can't possibly give up a dev I've never picked pu in the first place. Bioware just doesn't make anything I care about, and with any of their future products tied to a service I flat refuse to use, it doesn't look like that's changing.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked