What could bioware do to make up for mass effect 3?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

okay i know we are all sick of talking about mass effect 3 and im sorry for contributing to the endless threads about that game. however, after news of bioware changing the ending for free i figured most fans would be at least somewhat appeased. this does not seem to be the case, however, and fans seem just as upset as ever. i find this very confusing because you were, as i understand it (i havent played the game), upset about the ending and wanted bioware to provide and actual conclusion to the story and provide a feeling that your decisions actually mattered. now that bioware is going to do that and give it to you for free, why do so many people still not think thats good enough. im not trying to be a dick or seem patronizing, it just seems like you guys won so im honestly curious why fans still seem so upset and what bioware could do to make you feel like mass effect 3 was the game you hoped for

EDIT:
since i havent played mass effect 2 or 3 yet, i would appreciate as few spoilers as possible. given the subject though, i can understand how that might not be doable

What's to make up for? The game was great.

Make dragon age 3 the best western rpg ever created . Seriously , if bioware drops the ball on dragon age 3 ( because this will be a day 1 buy for me) i will never forgive them , ever . I loved dragon age :origins , i didn't hate dragon age 2 ( despite it's very apparent flaws it was a fun game ) , but for me dragon age 3 is going to be all or nothing .

00slash00:
im honestly curious why fans still seem so upset and what bioware could do to make you feel like mass effect 3 was the game you hoped for

I'll just leave this here.

dreadedcandiru99:

00slash00:
im honestly curious why fans still seem so upset and what bioware could do to make you feel like mass effect 3 was the game you hoped for

I'll just leave this here.

I watched that video! I like it. Watched his indoctrination one too. Pretty good on both counts.

I don't think a lot of fans will be happy no matter what BioWare does. Several people have pointed this out already, and I agree with them. I think BioWare listening to the fans and offering to add closure to the ending at all is a nice step. Throw in the fact that they're doing it for free, and it's an even nicer step. No other company would probably be willing to do this, though I hear Fallout 3 did it but I haven't played that so I don't know. So, short of giving some fans back their money, paying them extra, and giving them their very own ending, I don't think some fans will ever be pleased.

As long as we're in the realm of unreasonable demands, BioWare could make it up to me by reading the so far twelve-page ending that I'm writing, acknowledging it, putting it into the game as the Paragon ending, paying me for it, and giving me a job working for them as a writer. That would more than make up for it to me. :-)

I don't really think there is anything to make up for. The game is fine, the best of the three. Only the ending was terrible and they're addressing that with this extended cut malarkey.

Dragon age 2 on the other hand...

1. Scrap the ending of ME3 and do it again. That'd be the best choice in my eyes as a customer.

2. Release DLC to fix it. I'd be less happy to pay but I understand it's costly to correct this sort of thing.

3. Make up for it in later games. I'd rather not see such a fine series ruined and left like that.

Bioware has lost a lot of fans recently, Dragon Age 2 was very poorly received and now the recent ME3 fiasco has generated a great deal of disdain. I hope they learn from these experiences and get back to what they do best (I am starting to forget what that even is).

Well release the Real ending or create one that us fans deserve for buying all of their games, merchandise, comics and the occasional autographed "How to do calibrations" from Garrus.

Then they release it for free or not for much.

Then they make a Dragon Age 3, which will be the two combined except just their good parts.

That is what it takes to make me and a load of other people happy with Bioware once more.

Captcha: heated debate

I got a bad feeling about this.

Indecipherable:
3. Make up for it in later games. I'd rather not see such a fine series ruined and left like that.

How exactly could they do this? I'm not saying i disagree, i just don't see whats stopping bioware making the same mistake in future games.

OSHarlequin:

Indecipherable:

How exactly could they do this? I'm not saying i disagree, i just don't see whats stopping bioware making the same mistake in future games.

I'm not sure how to answer this without having to explain some fundamentals of life...

People learn by making mistakes. We have all done it throughout our lives. There is no certainty that we won't make the same mistake again. But likewise there is no certainty that they will continue to do the same. I don't know how else to explain how life works for you.

Jitters Caffeine:

This.

They could make up for a lack of KoToR 3 by making KoToR 3 though.

Nothing, because they have nothing to make up for.

Jitters Caffeine:

imahobbit4062:

My thoughts exactly.

captcha: wide berih

Indecipherable:

OSHarlequin:

Indecipherable:

I'm not sure how to answer this without having to explain some fundamentals of life...

People learn by making mistakes. We have all done it throughout our lives. There is no certainty that we won't make the same mistake again. But likewise there is no certainty that they will continue to do the same. I don't know how else to explain how life works for you.

Ok, i get it. I guess i'm just being pessimistic.

back pain:

Jitters Caffeine:

imahobbit4062:

My thoughts exactly.

captcha: wide berih

I want to add my vote to that. I don't feel offended by BioWare. They did what I expected them to do. I suspected something like that ever since I was a quarter in ME 1. Either my expectations were low or other people's were too high.

If they honestly wanted to reclaim some credibility in my eyes, they should post a picture of the entire dev team throwing up two middle fingers and caption it 'Fuck y'all. All y'all.'

It's nice they've tried to appease these people, but it should never have come to this in the first place.

Just keep making games I greatly enjoy. There is nothing for them to "make up for." While I did find the ending to ME3 a bit disappointing, the vast majority of the game was great and they haven't released a title that I haven't enjoyed in, well, ever (barring subject matter like Star Wars that I just have absolutely no interest in).

Well, for one, they should lift the Origin exclusivity on the PC version.

"To make up for", you mean like balance out the karma? They could drown some kittens I guess, but I'd really rather they didn't.

It's forty hours of the best writing ever seen in a video game, with ten disappointing minutes at the end. Yeah I wish they'd ended it differently but it's their game, their decision and I still love 'em.

00slash00:
okay i know we are all sick of talking about mass effect 3 and im sorry for contributing to the endless threads about that game. however, after news of bioware changing the ending for free i figured most fans would be at least somewhat appeased. this does not seem to be the case, however, and fans seem just as upset as ever. i find this very confusing because you were, as i understand it (i havent played the game), upset about the ending and wanted bioware to provide and actual conclusion to the story and provide a feeling that your decisions actually mattered. now that bioware is going to do that and give it to you for free, why do so many people still not think thats good enough. im not trying to be a dick or seem patronizing, it just seems like you guys won so im honestly curious why fans still seem so upset and what bioware could do to make you feel like mass effect 3 was the game you hoped for

EDIT:
since i havent played mass effect 2 or 3 yet, i would appreciate as few spoilers as possible. given the subject though, i can understand how that might not be doable

Well, changing the ending entirely, as opposed to just "extending" such a dog turd would be the big thing. Granted it would not make everyone happy, but it would probably result in a situation where there isn't this level of hatred.

That's pretty much it. Nothing else they could do would be practical. The other writing problems like Leng (everything about him) would involve re-structuring the entire game, and that's no more practical than it would have been to "fix" "Dragon Age 2".

I want an ending that fits the game, not one with elements suggested by a 7 year old German fan boy, and not one primarily intended to spin this off into a franchise or generate contreversy and discussion. A fitting, acceptable, ending that spiritually fits this tale of high fantasy in space.

Otherwise I don't care, I don't paticularly want "free stuff" other than them not charging for fixing the ending. I don't care for Hepler and think she should be fired on principle, for reasons that nothing to do with this in paticular, but that's hardly a demand as much as an opinion about how well she fits into gaming.

Really I want EA to own their big mistake, swallow their pride, and fix it. I don't care about anything beyond that.

Mass Effect 4!

*ducks*

In my opinion, they don't have to make up for anything. ME3 was great over all, the ending was a tad bit disappointing, but that's it. If they make a good game, I will probably buy it. I do wish they would just leave EA somehow, though.

They can make Mass Effect 3 again, and do it right this time.

Have Dragon Age 3 kick a bunch of arse :D.
Dragon Age 2 was great, the combat was fantastic, but the leveling system wasn't as good as Origins (IMO).

They have nothing to make up for. As far as I'm concerned they took a creative decision (unless we later hear of any particular meddling from EA), and it didn't pay off.

The people demanding a rewrite purely to see an ending that fits what they perceive to be a thematically-fitting ending need to take their heads out of their own arse holes and understand that what they perceive to be the themes of the series are not necessarily what the creators perceive to be the major themes of the series.

I'm likely not going to play the game at all unless Bioware is able to release Mass Effect 3 without Origin. Although, if their future titles will use the same DRM solution, I might end up caving in. We'll see.

I hope they will keep releasing more quality games, and continue adding to the hundreds of hours they've already taken from me.

Commit hara-kiri? Publicly admit that they have no plans to ever make anything but generic cut and paste western RPGs with superficial continuity based mechanics and lots of cosmetic overpriced DLC because EA loves micro transactions? Offer me a free massage with a happy ending & a decent shrimp cocktail?

Those are the first 3 things that jump to mind.

another jade empire game and all will be forgiven!

Woodsey:
The people demanding a rewrite purely to see an ending that fits what they perceive to be a thematically-fitting ending need to take their heads out of their own arse holes and understand that what they perceive to be the themes of the series are not necessarily what the creators perceive to be the major themes of the series.

What if, say, I want the ending looked over again because of major plot holes, lack of closure, little weight in the "choices" we have to make and a general sense that in all the promotional stuff for the series, I was lied to about what to expect from the ending, something that was going to be the main focus of the game? I don't think Bioware would be obligated, but it'd be damn good of them.

OT: Just make the "Extended Cut" good. Make it so the ending is satisfying, makes you feel like you accomplished something, and makes sense. Now the DLC is only meant to clarify the ending, so you got a mountain to climb already, but your writing has been great beforehand, Bioware, no reason it can't be again.

Calumon: Except they have to stop to eat cakes and answer e-mails from people. Seems they'd work faster if we just stayed quiet.

Jack and Calumon:

Woodsey:

What if, say, I want the ending looked over again because of major plot holes, lack of closure, little weight in the "choices" we have to make and a general sense that in all the promotional stuff for the series, I was lied to about what to expect from the ending, something that was going to be the main focus of the game? I don't think Bioware would be obligated, but it'd be damn good of them.

'major plot holes, lack of closure'

Both are entirely matters of perspective on a purely creative issue. That you even have to ask is bewildering.

'little weight in the "choices" we have to make'

Criticise them for it, make it clear that that's something they can do better in whatever their next game is. You know, the way things are normally done.

As for the ending, your choices do have an affect, not in the sense that you'd like perhaps, but they do alter things, which was pretty much what was said.

Again, criticise them for it so it can be worked on for the next game.

The addendum they're making for the ending is enough; any rewrites based on player suggestions would turn the whole thing into a fucking circus act.

Absolutely nothing. They made the game, they made an ending they liked. Just because rabid fanboys decided they didn't like it doesn't mean they 'owe' us anything. Lil bummed they caved in and did anything but atleast they aren't changing their ending. Just adding a lil more detail about what happens to the other crew mates.

They could stop making sequels to their games.

1. Scrap the ending Entirely. Either go with Indoc Theory, or start way back at the Sword fight and add in more and better gameplay content, a reflection of your choices, more and better options and mechanics like those used in the ME2 Suicide Mission.
2. Learn from their mistakes in both DA2 and ME3 for DA3.
3. If DA3 is not botched, do not botch the next game either.

If all 3 points are ticked, then Bioware will be redeemed in my books. If point one is not kept, but point 2 and 3 are, then point one may be replaced by making a near perfect title.

Refunds. Lots and lots of refunds.

I wish theyd change it

give up the option to say FUCK YOU to the reaper star child

but they wont

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked